• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

I've actually been back to listening to Sumerlands recently. Wish more bands going for the "old school" thing would go for solo Ozzy style stuff rather than NWOBHM

Then again I'm sure if everyone was doing it I'd say the opposite, lol

"Boy it'd be cool if more bands used the HM-2 Swedish Death sound" "Hey this blend of hardcore and early 90's Euro death is cool" *two/three years later* "Oh...."

"Boy it'd be cool if more bands used the HM-2 Swedish Death sound" "Hey this blend of hardcore and early 90's Euro death is cool" *two/three years later* "Oh...."

I feel like every time I try and listen to a new band doing the HM-2 thing I just turn it off after 15 minutes and go listen to Indecent and Obscene.

"SKINFATHERRRRRRRRR!!!!!! LARGER THAN LIES!!!!"

blahness

Bolzer announced a US tour for late summer. Will definitely be at the Baltimore date.

6wkNc0S.jpg

I feel like every time I try and listen to a new band doing the HM-2 thing I just turn it off after 15 minutes and go listen to Indecent and Obscene.

"SKINFATHERRRRRRRRR!!!!!! LARGER THAN LIES!!!!"

I like the way you death metal.
I'll never get tired of that Swedish buzzsaw Boss HM-2 tone though, so I welcome it.

Black metal video game covers by The True Werwolf, for those who might not have heard them before:

"Chi No Namida" (Castlevania)

"0373" (Journey To Silius)

Warning: it's the dude from Satanic Warmaster, so keep that in mind depending on how you feel about listening to bands with NSBM leanings.

These covers are awesome, especially the Journey To Silius one.

Sad news out of the slam scene, Martin Funderud (vocalist of Kraanium) has passed away.
Martin's twin brother Mats (who plays guitar in Kraanium) has posted this picture to facebook:
18034320_1612767292083961_2489703143428767208_n.jpg

I can't imagine what Mats is going through right now. To play in a band with your twin brother for sixteen years and then lose him at the young age of 38 must be devastating.

Kraanium were one of the bands that got me into slam and for that I'll always be thankful.

R.I.P. to both Martin Funderud and William Tolley.

I'll be blasting some sick slams in honor of both of them!

RDreamer

I like the new Ghost Bath. It feels at least slightly further from their deafheaven sound on the first album. I still think I like their first album a bit better, but this is good. Their screams seem kind of unneeded in some of the songs though. Like they're just there to remind us this is some sort of black metal.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Enjoying the new Body Count album. As always, lyrics rubberband from ludicrously silly to pointedly serious. Overall I think Manslaughter was better, but this one is no slouch. Interestingly, Slayer songs are listenable when a band that doesn't suck plays them, so that's good to know.

KillerBEA

Corpsepyre

Banned
Not a fan of the new Alestorm song.

Hopefully, some day Gloryhammer and Alestorm switch places. The former has a great future.
Funnily enough I never really was a fan of alestorm but the new song made me listen to some of their stuff again and I think it might actually be a ton of fun with a bit of alcohol...

Dex815

I just discovered Vampire through their latest album: With Primeval Force.

1000x1000.jpg

To me this album sounds like they threw some Teutonic trash metal into the usual Swedish death metal. Really nice. Does anyone have some other band/album suggestion for this kind of mix?

FIN - Arrows Of A Dying Age - this rules. Ultra rad black metal, riffs on riffs

In other news:

California Deathfest announced "Massacre X" at their first announcement. I looked them up and it appeared to be a spinoff of Massacre by Rick Rozz. Wasn't impressed by their last "reunion" run laced with Pantuuura so I didn't really care

Randomly search on facebook today and it's billed as "featuring Rick Rozz and Kam Lee"..........in the age of reunions people didn't think would happen, how is this not a bigger deal? Way more interested and might actually spring for CDF now

In other news:

California Deathfest announced "Massacre X" at their first announcement. I looked them up and it appeared to be a spinoff of Massacre by Rick Rozz. Wasn't impressed by their last "reunion" run laced with Pantuuura so I didn't really care

Randomly search on facebook today and it's billed as "featuring Rick Rozz and Kam Lee"..........in the age of reunions people didn't think would happen, how is this not a bigger deal? Way more interested and might actually spring for CDF now

Because I think people got tired of dive bombs and whammy bars in 1988.

Ed Repka is the master of recycling

It's pretty hilarious, neo-thrash kids pay him to make album covers and he's been found reusing assets in several of them. Like reusing faces and shit. Lol

As far as Vio-Lence goes, I love them to death but From Beyond is better than Eternal Nightmare. Oppressing stomps both

This one springs to mind but there's surely more, also other assets reused in backgrounds and such. Looks like he used the same intestines for both of these as well

bebop242

So I happened upon a used copy of Between the Buried and Me Colors live cd/dvd this past weekend and its kinda blowing me away. My only other experience was their newest album and I liked it but it never really hooked me. Been listening to some of their older stuff (via Spotify) as well and it seems pretty consistent. I have some catching up to do.

Debating about going to see Pallbearer, Inter Arma and Gatecreeper. It requires a 2 hour drive but thats not a deal breaker. I live in an area where I have to drive 2-4 hours for most any show I want to see. Opinions on if this will be a good show?

RDreamer

So I happened upon a used copy of Between the Buried and Me Colors live cd/dvd this past weekend and its kinda blowing me away. My only other experience was their newest album and I liked it but it never really hooked me. Been listening to some of their older stuff (via Spotify) as well and it seems pretty consistent. I have some catching up to do.

Colors is pretty great, but yeah the new one, Coma Ecliptic wasn't quite as good as some previous releases I thought. Parallax II is my favorite hands down.

Ravager61

malevolentcreation-reissues-listenable.png

just found out about this megaton.

The first three Malevolent Creation albums are getting reissued on multiple color LP and digipak CD formats. Official release date is May 26th. Black LP and CD editions already available for pre-order at High Roller Records (Germany).

I think those albums are great OSDM but I'd be more excited to buy them if the dudes in Malevolent Creation weren't noted racists.

Craziest release they have done yet but I dig it. Love everything Mesarthim has put out so far.

I didn't realize that new Disma EP came out on my birthday. Listening to it now and it's got me craving a second album. One of the sickest guitar tones I've ever heard!

Also blasting a bunch of Slugdge today.

Top Bottom