• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFVIII looks like its about to be released on Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

39150.jpg

Not sure on the specific time frame, but generally when companies start adding purchasing options and regional restrictions they are nearing the release.

This depot was added to the FFVIII sub in the registry today:

iz4t8ROU0Zppd.png

Originally, Square added both FFVII and VIII to the registry, but once we leaked the FFVII release here on GAF they removed all of the information from the app.

suPnLtq.png

Source: http://steamdb.info/app/39150/#section_history

UPDATES

New Depot was created this morning that includes both FFVII and FFVIII, possibly a Final Fantasy package for the upcoming Steam sale.

koS9pyF.png

These were uploaded to the Steam registry a few days ago

39150_bg_generated.jpg

39150.jpg

def sim

Fantastic news, Grief. I've been meaning to replay 7 and 8 to remember if I liked them or not. I hope to see one or both games on sale later this month!

sangreal

I haven't been following; are these FF Steam games actually updated or the same as the original PC versions from 20 years ago?

Grief.exe

I hope these PC FF releases keep doing well. I want to see FFXV make it too.

I have heard good things about IX as well, but that one doesn't already have a PC version available so would take some extra work on Square's part.

XV and Kingdom Hearts would not go amiss on PC.

Blizzard

Banned
Will it have Cloud saves?
Ho ho ho!

Also, I have never played FF8 so I look forward to this. Of course, I never played FF7 either, even after I bought it on Steam, but at least I -could- now in theory, play it, should I ever decide to! =P

Grief.exe

Wasnt 7 on steam a horribly mangled version with playonline/SE shitware?

The version on the Square store required an always online connection, digital river imposed download limit, and Securom DRM (correct me if I am wrong here).

The Steam version, which was released later on, only required a Square Enix account on first install. No Securom, online-check in, always-online, etc, etc to be found.

Oublieux

Ho ho ho!

Also, I have never played FF8 so I look forward to this. Of course, I never played FF7 either, even after I bought it on Steam, but at least I -could- now in theory, play it, should I ever decide to! =P

Get on that FF7!

Berordn

While I don't care for this game, the release of VII followed by this could mean IX could be released on steam!

That seems pretty unlikely since they never made a PC port for IX to begin with, and they seem to be doing their best to not put any effort into these rereleases.

I have heard good things about IX as well, but that one doesn't already have a PC version available so would take some extra work on Square's part.

XV and Kingdom Hearts would not go amiss on PC.
I'd buy 2 copies of 7 and 8 if it meant 9 would release on SOMETHING.

Ibuki

Banned
The version on the Square store required an always online connection and Securom DRM (correct me if I am wrong here).

The Steam version, which was released later on, only required a Square Enix account on first install. No Securom, online-check in, always-online, etc, etc to be found.

I should have waited in the first place. I also love how Digital River just ignored my request when asking for a download link after 30 days. I don't think I even got a generic response back. When searching it is also like my order never even existed. Thank god for Steam.

Tizoc

Maybe now I can finally play and beat this blasted game.
Hopefully there'll be mods that can make the gameplay more bare-able.

Eusis

The version on the Square store required an always online connection and Securom DRM (correct me if I am wrong here).

Guess someone at SE eventually convinced them being that overbearing on a game a decade and a half old was like trying to set lethal traps to protect a child's piggy bank: never a good idea, but more ridiculous given the target's actual value.

Coldsun

Banned
Shame that the only reason 7 and 8 are on steam is because they were ported over a decade ago. The likelihood of Square porting ANY of their old FF titles (Such as 9) is probably 0.

RedSwirl

I guess this is the best place to ask, but how is the Steam version of FFVII anyway? I was under the impression it was based on the shitty Eidos PC port from the 90's and that it carried Square Enix's DRM. Now I check the page on Steam to find that the DRM isn't listed anywhere and that SE actually patched the PS1-quality music into this version of the game.

Eh. I already have PSN copies of FFVII, VIII, and IX. How does the Steam version of VII compare to that though? Image-quality-wise? I don't mind playing PS1 games on my PS3 but I can play them on a PSP if I have to.

Grief.exe

I should have waited in the first place. I also love how Digital River just ignored my request when asking for a download link after 30 days. I don't think I even got a generic response back. When searching it is also like my order never even existed. Thank god for Steam.

I forgot the Digital River download limit, added that in.

What a disaster that was.

Berordn

It looks like FFVIII never had an official version other than the original on PS1. Sure, it is on PS3/PSV by virtue of PSN and an emulator, but its interesting that there was never an official port.

VIII did have a PC port in 2000. Even came with the Pocketstation minigame included as an extra.

edit: you were probably talking about IX and said VIII by accident judging by the image

RS4-

Never got around to finishing the game despite making it 3/4s of the way through. PSX stopped working and I was completely lost as to where to go next after I started playing again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom