• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo eShop update officially released [New Update: Fixes Ridge Racer 3DS issue]

TehOh

GeekyDad said:
Your absolute favorite (non-puzzle game) 500 point/$5 DSiWare title? Getting Starship Defense, so that's already a gimmie. But I'm looking for other considerations in the $5 range.

Art Style: Boxlife is my favorite DSiWare game. It's worth your $5 if you like quirky little puzzle games.

Naked Snake said:
So I tried Entropay

:(

I read that prepared cards should be more widely available by end of June. They can be found in some stores already supposedly. Can't find anyone selling them online.
Gah, I'm really kicking myself for not adding a whole heap of credit to my 3ds earlier this week when I got Cave Story :(

Are there any other pre paid virtual cards it may be worth looking into?

Worthintendo said:
Does anyone know where you can purchase these pre paid eShop cards from online, now that Nintendo US has locked out non US credit cards it seems to be the only way I'm going to be able to buy games form the eshop but I'm not having much luck finding these cards online anywhere.
My workaround is switching my region to Brazil.

Pancakes R Us said:
Do you know anyone in the States? They could e-mail you the code. Paypal them $20.

Great idea. We could even do a GAF thread for it, folks hooking each other up.

Worthintendo said:
Gah, I'm really kicking myself for not adding a whole heap of credit to my 3ds earlier this week when I got Cave Story :(

Are there any other pre paid virtual cards it may be worth looking into?

Yeah me too! And no.

Jaded Alyx said:

Hmm, that works? I need to try it.

Chocoboko

Naked Snake said:
Changing the region to Brazil worked! I now have Donkey Kong :) Thanks!
That is a cool trick. So could this also work for buying stuff on the japanese store if you live in America? Are point cards a universal payment method across stores?

The Hermit

Naked Snake said:
Changing the region to Brazil worked! I now have Donkey Kong :) Thanks!

Did you notice the price is in R$? Also I did the exchange rate Nitendo is using and its about 1,67. Slightly higher than the real thing(still fair though) but paying 10 reais for Link's Awakening felt so good !:D

Chocoboko said:
That is a cool trick. So could this also work for buying stuff on the japanese store if you live in America? Are point cards a universal payment method across stores?

Nope, you cannot choose Japan or anywhere in Europe from the region list on an American 3DS. You can, however, pick Singapore, despite the fact that every other country listed is in the Western Hemisphere.

Baiano19 said:
Did you notice the price is in R$? Also I did the exchange rate Nitendo is using and its about 1,67. Slightly higher than the real thing(still fair though) but paying 10 reais for Link's Awakening felt so good !:D

Yes of course I noticed, I knew about the currency change. And I did the conversion caclulations, a $4 game like DK costs me about half a buck more now. Sucks, but not a deal breaker. Far less hassle than trying to get prepaid cards at this point. I just hope game releases between US and BR store match in the future.

Fernando Rocker said:
Guys... also, use a Delaware zip code...

You won't pay taxes! (100% confirmed by me).

Or a California zip code (what I used before Nintendo blocked non-US cards). There is no Zip Code needed for Brazil eShop.

Jaded Alyx said:
Awesomly awesome you my new favorite person for letting us know. Do we know if any other regions on the list for a US 3DS will work, might try and find the one with the best exchange rate to the aus dollar

womp

GeekyDad said:
Your absolute favorite (non-puzzle game) 500 point/$5 DSiWare title? Getting Starship Defense, so that's already a gimmie. But I'm looking for other considerations in the $5 range.
Spotto! is one of the absolute best DSiWare titles and is only $1.99.

An amazingly wonderful game by Intelligent Systems.

M3d10n

Baiano19 said:
I added credits twice last week it was at 1.57 for the first one and 1.59 a few days later. Using the Brazilian eShop feels like dealing in the foreign exchange market, but in reverse: you gotta buy it when the rate is at the highest.

Worthintendo said:
Awesomly awesome you my new favorite person for letting us know. Do we know if any other regions on the list for a US 3DS will work, might try and find the one with the best exchange rate to the aus dollar
The US 3DS has pretty much every country in the Americas listed in the region settings, and I assume it doesn't require ZIP codes for most of them (probably every one outside from the USA and maybe Canada). However, I don't think the eShop has a different currency for each one of them. You could try Puerto Rico, since they use US dollars.

Worthintendo said:

I tried U.A.E. first (since I live in the Middle East), but when I opened the eShop I got a message saying the eShop doesn't exist for this country.

Naked Snake said:
I tried U.A.E. first (since I live in the Middle East), but when I opened the eShop I got a message saying the eShop doesn't exist for this country.
Is the 3DS out in the middle east out of interest? Also how much was Donkey Kong from Brazil? Just trying to work out how stuff compares to the Aus Dollar

M3d10n

I just found a bug in the search function! If you filter by price in the Brazilian eShop, it filters by the USD prices, not the prices in BRL. So if I set the filter for "9 -10", it returns Cave Story and Thorium Wars, both listed for R$ 13.99 (those games are US$ 9.99 in the USA shop).

Worthintendo said:
Is the 3DS out in the middle east out of interest? Also how much was Donkey Kong from Brazil? Just trying to work out how stuff compares to the Aus Dollar
DK is R$ 6.99, which should be US$ 4.38 according to Google. BTW, the $1.99 games are actually cheaper in the Brazilian eShop: they come out at $1.87.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Could anyone give me an idea if I'd suffer the e-shop sales tax curse if I live in Pennsylvania? I ain't bought anything yet and don't have a lot of funds to put more money in than I need right now.

Truth101

Banned
Snapshot King said:
Am I crazy, am I doing something wrong, why does the stupid store ask me my birthday every single time I turn it on?

Check your parental setting, that is the only thing I can think of.

Worthintendo said:
Is the 3DS out in the middle east out of interest?

Yes it is. Otherwise those countries would not be selectable in the region settings.

Kaijima said:
Could anyone give me an idea if I'd suffer the e-shop sales tax curse if I live in Pennsylvania? I ain't bought anything yet and don't have a lot of funds to put more money in than I need right now.

Don't know if Pennsylvania is charged tax, but you could avoid it by simply entering a zip code from a non-taxed state. The zip code is not used for CC verification as far I know. So paying tax on the eShop can be avoided by anyone and everyone if they choose to*.

*If paying by credit card. Not necessarily so if using pre-paid cards.

M3d10n

Kaijima said:
It shows the taxes in the pre-buy screen that shows up when you tap the blue "touch here to buy" button (did you really think that button would instantly purchase the game without any confirmation?)

Naked Snake said:
Yes it is. Otherwise those countries would not be selectable in the region settings.
Did it have an official launch yet? Because I doubt it was properly launched in even half the places listed in the region settings. Looks more like Nintendo listing all countries they could think of that would classify as "NTSC" region. Microsoft did more or less the same with the 360: you could select from a wide amount of countries, but in many of them you weren't allowed to log onto Xbox Live.

Naked Snake said:
Nope. Consoles aren't officially released where I live and yet my country is there.

No eShop of course.

GeekyDad

womp said:
Spotto! is one of the absolute best DSiWare titles and is only $1.99.

An amazingly wonderful game by Intelligent Systems.

Ha, ha. Yeah, got it the other day, finished it, loved it.

"Yes, sir!" He's so adorable.

womp

Kaijima said:
Yes, PA is charged tax. Just do what I did and set your zip to a Delaware zip.

Being not far from the DE border that wasn't too out of line for me to do anyway.

The tax can add up easily to where you could buy a $1.99 game at the least. Total BS since they also charged me tax for the card, to me that is double dipping and sounds fishy to begin with.

How is it legal to charge tax on what is essentially cash?

For the record Toys R Us doesn't charge tax on their eShop cards.

wsippel

Banned
lazybones18 said:
Is there a way for me to get access to all DSiWare titles or am I just stuck with what's available in the "DSiWare Favorites" section?
Use the search function, filter by DSiWare, done.

Effect

Anyone else notice the new sections on the eShop main menu?

- Puzzle Games (was there before I think)
- My Pet Animals = Pet DSiWare games or games with animals
- For the Win = Sports games (racing, golf, pool, fishing, basketball, baseball, soccer, air hockey, boxing DSiWare games)
- Nuthin' But Action = Seems to have a variety of games. See Puzzle Quest in here, Shante, Cave Story, Defense Wars, Dark Void, Rayman, Plants vs Zombies, Picdun
- Learn on the Go = Learning games. Brian Age Math is in here.
- For your road trip = Different type of games here as well.
- What We're Playing = Could be recommended games from those controlling the eShop. Different from the Staff Pick of the Week
- Coming Soon to Nintendo eShop = Upcoming games
- Value Games = Selection of games for $1.99

I assume the games in these sections, if they stay, will be changed after a while. I wonder if it will be randomized though. That only one Brian Age title is listed and there are more then one makes me think they won't miss out on trying to direct people to the others at some point.

You do get idea of what's inside. With the road trip section I assumed it would be games that would be best suited for as it says on a road trip. This naming scheme might be better then simply listing things as action, sports, rpg, etc. Allows for a different mix of games under a theme then a normal genre. Especially if one genre is more populated then another.

BooJoh

Effect said:

- For the Win = Sports games (racing, golf, pool, fishing, basketball, baseball, soccer, air hockey, boxing DSiWare games)
- Nuthin' But Action = Seems to have a variety of games. See Puzzle Quest in here, Shante, Cave Story, Defense Wars, Dark Void, Rayman, Plants vs Zombies, Picdun
- What We're Playing = Could be recommended games from those controlling the eShop. Different from the Staff Pick of the Week

I assume the games in these sections, if they stay, will be changed after a while. I wonder if it will be randomized though. That only one Brian Age title is listed and there are more then one makes me think they won't miss out on trying to direct people to the others at some point.

You do get idea of what's inside. With the road trip section I assumed it would be games that would be best suited for as it says on a road trip. This naming scheme might be better then simply listing things as action, sports, rpg, etc. Allows for a different mix of games under a theme then a normal genre. Especially if one genre is more populated then another.
Didn't notice this, but I just looked. I hope they make more use of this upcoming eShop games section and show what's coming up on 3DSWare/VC/3D Classics instead of just DSiWare. Considering we had no real indication of anything coming up before this is a very small step in the right direction.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Effect said:

My God. That's lightyears ahead of the European store.

We have a bunch of sections, namely 3DS games (with descriptions of retail titles and - stupidly - 2D screenshots), DSiWare (about 10 games total), Virtual Console (5 games) and a Coming Soon only showing OoT 3D. Plus a bunch of random stuff from these sections randomly sticked to the front page in no particolar order, to make navigation more cumbersome.

Especially the DSiWare selection is absolutely abysmal.

Oh, and still no E3 trailers of course. Just three ultracompressed videos (OoT 3D, DoA, Link's Awakening) in streaming.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Jocchan said:

We have a bunch of sections, namely 3DS games (with descriptions of retail titles and - stupidly - 2D screenshots), DSiWare (about 10 games total), Virtual Console (5 games) and a Coming Soon only showing OoT 3D. Plus a bunch of random stuff from these sections randomly sticked to the front page in no particolar order, to make navigation more cumbersome.

Oh, and still no E3 trailers of course. Just three ultracompressed videos (OoT 3D, DoA, Link's Awakening) in streaming.
Yeah, Australian store is similarly anemic. Really starting to regret getting an Aus 3DS instead of a US one.

Mafro

Just as I thought the EU eShop couldn't get any worse. I wish one of the big sites e.g. Eurogamer would call out NoE about this and how dissatisfied the userbase is.

When Deleware and Brazil make up a disproportionate amount of sales, we're going to get IP locked for sure. As if the region locking wasn't bad enough.

Jocchan said:

I am so glad I imported a US one, sure I had to wait a week after everyone else had their 3DS to get mine and there has been the issue this week with the US eShop and non US Credit Cards. In the end getting a US unit was the right choice and I stand by it.

I still can't belive they don't have the e3 trailers up, those things are soo useful for them. I've shown the trailers to Super Bros and Mario Kart to a few people and they all think they look awesome and it just makes them want the games more. How does NoE not realise putting these things up ASAP is a good thing.

All I can think of is maybe they are waiting for a 3DS version of the Nintendo Channel to launch and have them all via that.

Speaking of Channels on the 3DS, I don't know why and I hadn't thought of it for years, but I really want the weather & news channels on the 3DS, I can see them get alot more use on a portable system them a console.

I don't know why, but i keep checking the AUS eShop every now and then like i'm some kind of idiot expecting any kind of new thing.

Then, i just noticed they saw fit to include a Shantae screenshot on the DSiWare highlights top screen. Assholes.

M3d10n

Cheesemeister said:
When Deleware and Brazil make up a disproportionate amount of sales, we're going to get IP locked for sure. As if the region locking wasn't bad enough.
I don't know about Delaware, but as long as the exchange rate stays low games in the Brazil eShop are slightly more expensive overall ($0.30~$0.60) so it's all part of the keikaku.

Tarin02543

yeah I saw Sports Island 2 when I went to pick up OoT3d but for 39.95 € I thought the price was too heavy.

Might pick it up once it gets dumped in the bargain bin.

GeekyDad

Starship Defense...man, this game raises the bar for DSiWare. I'm also currently playing a shitty game for review I won't name, and it's priced higher than SD. It's crazy, then, playing SD and seeing how much polish and attention to detail that game has for $5. Granted, the art style isn't cutting edge, but SD had some real love put into it. Which begs the question: how does Nintendo determine the prices for these games? If they themselves are putting out quality titles at a reasonable price, why would they price mediocre titles so high?

Top Bottom