• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American McGee: Not impressed by PS4; Simcity gamers need to chill out

As a veteran of the PC gaming industry, what are your thoughts on DRM and the fan outcry we’ve seen with PC game launches like Diablo III and SimCity at launch?

There are right and wrong ways to solve the problem, for sure. Customers have a right to expect that products they’ve purchased perform as advertised. That being said, developers and publishers face extinction if they can’t solve the piracy issue while at the same time addressing the demands gamers make regarding connected and accessible games (I see these two things going together). Being in China all I see are companies who have solved these issues and customers who are happy with the results. Western developers have some obstacles to overcome before they get there. Not sure I see how incendiary media coverage or player reactions are warranted when things don’t work as expected.

Do gamers or the media think EA or Blizzard wanted things to go so badly at launch? Do they think all the screaming and gnashing of teeth actually helped resolve those issues more quickly? There’s got to be a balance to the relationship. Just because you’ve given a restaurant your business doesn’t entitle you to throwing molten cheese fries in your waiter’s face if your margarita comes out frozen instead of on the rocks. People need to relax a little and stop turning everything into World War III – Gamers vs. The Man. There are no winners in that scenario.

What are your thoughts on what Sony has shown with PS4?

I was hoping for innovation in control input. Didn’t see anything meaningful, so “meh.” It’s nice that they’re moving towards what looks like more developer-friendly hardware and indie friendly distribution. Remains to be seen if the appearance matches reality. Overall, I think this generation of consoles will struggle painfully against the momentum of mobile/online games we’re seeing globally.

What impact do you feel the advancing gaming power of tablets will have on the games business moving forward, even as next gen consoles enter the market?

We’re seeing a lot of blurring between categories as tablets become more like consoles and consoles began to flaunt more and more always-connected and social features. The distinction between “tablet” and “phone” is also blurring as we’re seeing mini-tablets and mega-phones gaining in popularity simultaneously. Ultimately, people are going to choose based on power, size and convenience – and I think we’re going to see devices emerging which change their form, function and interface depending on where or for what they’re being used. More than anything it’s interface that’s going to drive the most significant change – things like Oculus Rift will radically change people’s demands and expectations – that’s where the real revolution is going to start.

More at the link.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Just because you’ve given a restaurant your business doesn’t entitle you to throwing molten cheese fries in your waiter’s face if your margarita comes out frozen instead of on the rocks

What if I didn't get the fries until 48 hours later?

Brashnir

Just because you’ve given a restaurant your business doesn’t entitle you to throwing molten cheese fries in your waiter’s face if your margarita comes out frozen instead of on the rocks.

No, but it does give me the right to stop giving these companies my business, which I've been doing with EA for quite a while, and will with Blizzard if they happen to release a game I care about again.

sunnz

I don't understand this need to reinvent the wheel.

Probably will call Kinect the new way of gaming or something.

People like him really annoy me, I really really do wish the consoles come out, ps4/nextbox, and get some HUGE sales mainly to shut up people this who think iOS games are the future...

Zee-Row

Banned
Why is American McGee complaining about lack of innovation with the controls when a bunch of new control options were introduced this gen and he didn't make a game that used any of them?

Probably will call Kinect the new way of gaming or something.

People like him really annoy me, I really really do wish the consoles come out, ps4/nextbox, and get some HUGE sales mainly to shut up people this who think iOS games are the future...

I can't stand moblie/tablet gaming, I've tried plenty of software but not one game has give me even a slight feeling of entertainment compared to consoles/PC

sunnz

that, and the ps4 supports a touchpad, traditional controls, move wand, and camera control/speech recognition. what else is he looking for?

Guess you can even put the vita in there as it could add some WIIU style changes ( but probably not that effective, since not many have it)

I can't stand moblie/tablet gaming, I've tried plenty of software but not one game has give me even a slight feeling of entertainment compared to consoles/PC

Exactly, I've had an ipod touch and I was into the hype of apple, brought many many games but after the initial 10 minutes I realized these games are nothing but flash games, a good quick playthrough and that is about it, the max hours I put into a game is probably like 3 hours into Zombie driver ( something like that)
Any game that is even ahead of games like angry birds is horrible due to performance or controls, or both ( GTA)

Old-Man-Yells-At-Cloud-the-simpsons-7414384-265-199.gif

From a pure gameplay perspective, it is pretty meh. I don't care about graphics, and the controller is just an old design with new aesthetics from what I've seen. So yeah.

Meh.

I'll get Sony's first party stuff and most of my fighters on it, but I'm not "excited" for it. I like the conveniences it brings me for gaming, not the new ways I will be able to game. I'd be more excited if the power used were for more impressive things outside of graphics, but we know that ain't likely.

That's just, like, my opinion though.

He runs online only (f2p) games himself so it's not surprising he doesn't like seeing backlash to bad/unplayable online launches.

that, and the ps4 supports a touchpad, traditional controls, move wand, and camera control/speech recognition. what else is he looking for?

And like the PS3, it wouldn't surprise me if it supports mouse and keyboard.

It doesn't shoot interactive holograms into your room, but it sure isn't just an Atari 2600 joystick.

Superflat

I agree with pretty much everything he said.

But the "meh" due to no revolutionary methods of control input is hilarious.

And suggesting that consoles gonna be on the losing end of some kind of direct war with phones and tablets seems premature.

Goddamn it McGee, if you make ALICE 3 some mobile social game, I swear... >:l

.la1n

He bring up some interesting points and while I do see some of what he said having some validity a lot of it is just...odd?

I do love the Alice games on the other hand, would like to see those continue.

Miletius

Well he did mention the Rift specifically so maybe that's the kind of innovation he was hoping for with the PS4. Can't say I disagree with him overly on that point.

Sentenza

Do gamers or the media think EA or Blizzard wanted things to go so badly at launch?
That's a bit beyond the point, isn't it?
It's not about what they wanted, it's about the completely unnecessary inconvenience they caused to legitimate customers just to enforce their shitty systems.

maltrain

Innovation... and what "innovation" do we have from PC developers? What have change really on PC games in past 20 years besides more power, more graphics and more people playing games online?

I don't want pointless innovation on consoles (Wii motion, Kinect and Move equally)... I just want FUN games, GREAT stories and the best graphics the companies can give me. Period.

jayu26

Being in China all I see are companies who have solved these issues and customers who are happy with the results

Isn't China's problem more with the knock offs and not with the "piracy"? Can someone enlighten me, I am confused.

He's not seeing it from a consumer point of view. I understand the industry is doing its best to limit piracy, but when you punish the people who bought the product, and the mess they have to go through is down right wrong. This stance on "no refunds" on digital purchases and the fact they can banned you for no apparent reason as well from their service needs to stop. Consumers really need to stand up to this EULA and TOS agreements. But us, as gamers, becomes really difficult to avoid this type of terms due to the passion we have for this hobby, and the industry as well. We're to blame for letting it get to this point.

Top Bottom