• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian woman calls 911, shot dead by responding police in Minneapolis

As someone who used to log police shootings, this does not surprise me.

I've logged far too many cases where the police shoot the person in danger because of a mentality that it's better to resolve the situation than help someone.

When comparing numbers against groups by race that are killed by police you have to adjust for the population in order to see the discrepancy.

So then you get to compare crime rates by race, and racial bias in police killings if you wanna tackle the "well blacks do more crime and therefore are shot more". That'll come out negative, so then you look at imminent lethal threats. Negative again...so then you just get to admit that racial biases exist.

Hesemonni

Banned
Dem pajamas and that lethal Australian dialect...

I'm really looking forward to how the shooting cop will manage to swim out of that shitpit.

Was disturbed to read about it in the local Australian media this morning, I can't wrap my head around how something like this can happen under those circumstances.

I would never in a million years fear that a police officer in Australia would shoot me if I made an emergency call in distress; it is sad that people in the US would be justified in fearing the people that are meant to serve and protect them.

Lemonz

More info

0c676fba-a9c8-4019-bec4-9b5327d82b92.png

Since it's a white lady im assuming the cops get at least suspended pay.. Fuck the US Police seriously, where are all the bootlickers now? Eager to defend the death of an innocent woman in her Pj's?

Was disturbed to read about it in the local Australian media this morning, I can't wrap my head around how something like this can happen under those circumstances.

I would never in a million years fear that a police officer in Australia would shoot me if I made an emergency call in distress; it is sad that people in the US would be justified in fearing the people that are meant to serve and protect them.

It's not unheard of for minorities to sometimes decide not to call police when something's going down because they're afraid the responder will escalate the situation.

ZOONAMI

More info

0c676fba-a9c8-4019-bec4-9b5327d82b92.png

Jesus fucking christ. Fucking scared shitless cop probably just decided the best thing to do is just shoot anyone who approaches their squad car.

I'll wait to hear more information but given she was in her pajamas I doubt she had a weapon on her.

Only other thing I can think of is an accidental discharge but seems like a gun would have to be pulled for that to even happen. Why do these fuckers need to be pulling their fucking guns so damn quickly without even assessing what is going on.

Mr_Moogle

In Australia the worst you have to fear from police is getting an expensive fine. They are basically glorified tax collectors but they don't go shooting people over nothing. I can't imagine what it would be like living in a country where the police are so woefully trained and afraid of their own shadows they are basically a risk to society.

sangreal

"an officer-involved shooting occurred, which resulted in one adult female victim who is deceased"

I can't stand police language. Like this woman's death was some random cosmic event that occurred rather than a conscious action on the part of the officer.

In Australia the worst you have to fear from police is getting an expensive fine. They are basically glorified tax collectors but they don't go shooting people over nothing. I can't imagine what it would be like living in a country where the police are so woefully trained and afraid of their own shadows they are basically a risk to society.

Guess it helps that you can be fairly certain that 90 % of the time the offenders wont be carrying a machine gun. Best thing we ever did

America your cops are so fucking cowardly it's unbelievable, burn it all down and start over. Pretty sure third world countries have more personable and cooperative police. Not sure if the US isn't one already since having a badge just seems like a free pass to shoot black people (or anyone for that matter)

Laiza

Seriously, you can't make this shit up. I mean, this is stuff you'd expect from The Onion, but no - it's real, it's not made-up bullshit or anything.

That officer clearly has no regard for human lives or due process and should be prosecuted for homicide, and especially should never be allowed anywhere near a gun ever again! I can only hope that justice wins out this time, somehow, against all the odds. Damnit.

danm999

Apart from racial issues, lack of guns, a huge part of this is training.

It looks like in Minneapolis you undergo 14-16 weeks of training to become a police officer.

From what I can gather in New South Wales, the theoretical component of the course at Goulburn academy alone is at least 28 weeks.

Australian police have had their moments
Recently they shot Batman and harlequin having sex in a Melbourne nightclub (that was pissing them off with civil actions). Batman had a fake gun, which they were told of
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/...shooting-anti-corruption-watchdog-investigate

Rhete

Banned
So she calls the cops, casually walks up to their car in her PJs when they arrive, and gets shot through the door. What the absolute fuck

Mohonky

"an officer-involved shooting occurred, which resulted in one adult female victim who is deceased"

I can't stand police language. Like this woman's death was some random cosmic event that occurred rather than a conscious action on the part of the officer.

Its supposed to be impartial and facts based only, hence so dry.

Same as when people were cracking the shits about the terminology used when the emergency services made an announcement on the Dreamworld accident describing the victims as having 'injuries incompatible with life;' its just the most factual way to describing something so as there is no confusion in meaning. That term btw, means injuries that irrespective of how quickly an emergency team or any other help arrives there is no possibility of saving the person.

Australian reddit blew up over this.

Pretty much, America is slowly moving towards "don't go there" levels of tourism.
I used to say jokingly america will make me too fat I don't want to go there but I actually say now I don't want to get shot by cops or some madman

Dhx

Genuine question:

How the hell did this happen? I don't remember cops being so terrible when I was growing up. Maybe I was simply uninformed, but it feels like things have gotten worse.

The answers are too many to pinpoint any one or even several reasons. Militarization would be one of the first things I pointed to. Everyone wants to be SWAT, essentially. The culture and mentality has become toxic. Our police aren't supposed to resemble a military outfit, and they sure as hell aren't supposed to patrol the streets with that attitude. You can't even approach police in the field anymore and have a conversation. So many of them are so locked in and cynical that their first instinct is to suspect your motives.

It needs to all be blown up and reformed from the ground up. I don't know the answer. If localities need SWAT and Bearcats, maybe it's time they become completely independent and separate. It would be a small start, but perhaps then we could change the culture of the next generation of police.

99Luffy

Banned
When they first announced bodycams the first thing I thought was 'I hope they had the forsight to make them always on devices that cant be turned off.'
Of course they didnt.

Van Bur3n

Just gets weirder and weirder

That can't be real. It doesn't make any sense. There is no logical explanation why that would happen unless the cop truly wanted to murder someone or they're not right in the head at all.

I've about had it with all of this news of violence committed by the police, and all of them basically getting away with murder because they hide behind the badge. If you're a cop, you're trash. It's now that simple. I don't trust any goddamn lunatic with a gun. Fuck the pigs. Fuck them all to hell.

Mysteriously all the cameras turned off fuck that shit you fucking punks what kinda shitty cameras keep turning off everytime you shoot someone

Kin5290

That can't be real. It doesn't make any sense. There is no logical explanation why that would happen unless the cop truly wanted to murder someone or they're not right in the head at all.

I've about had it with all of this news of violence committed by the police, and all of them basically getting away with murder because they hide behind the badge. If you're a cop, you're trash. It's now that simple. I don't trust any goddamn lunatic with a gun. Fuck the pigs. Fuck them all to hell.
I guess the officer could plead sheer incompetence and an accidental discharge. Try to get the charge reduced, and then never work as a police officer again (one would hope).

There's a good chance that, if the Star Tribune's reporting is accurate, one of its unnamed sources is the other police officer in the car who is also probably experiencing partial deafness from the gun that was fired right next to him in an enclosed space.
It's a low skill job, if these stories are anything to judge by. I think you just need a picture ID and at least 8 fingers to get in.
These stories are not actually representative of how police interact with the populace, if only because if it were a lot more people would be getting killed by the police.

Novocaine

Good guy Trump.

Now I get why it's so difficult for people to go to the US. He's trying to protect us.

Can we not use an unrelated tragedy as a platform to hate on your president? I get you all hate him but this kind of shit was happening long before he got elected. Poor form.

Good on the officers, an unarmed middle-aged woman in pyjamas is actually the most dangerous thing for a police car to encounter. I'm surprised the two officers are unharmed.

Aaron

I guess the officer could plead sheer incompetence and an accidental discharge. Try to get the charge reduced, and then never work as a police officer again (one would hope).
Don't hope. He'll get a job as a police officer in another town nearby. These killer officers aren't really fired. They're moved around like Catholic Church did with pedophile priests. New Yorker did an article on this sort of thing a while back, and found an officer with three negligent homicides who was still working as a police officer.

Sarek

It looks like in Minneapolis you undergo 14-16 weeks of training to become a police officer.

From what I can gather in New South Wales, the theoretical component of the course at Goulburn academy alone is at least 28 weeks.

In Finland it's 3 years, though one years of that is on duty training. The degree they get is bachelors, and even getting accepted in is pretty difficult. Last year eg. 2100 applied and 300 got accepted. Over the last 10 years the police here have shot and killed 9 people.

Rmagnus

Banned
Apart from racial issues, lack of guns, a huge part of this is training.

Tbh no amount of training will make you a decent human being. So it's not the lack of training that's a problem imo but any nut job is able to sign up for being a cop

MrKaepora

Can we not use an unrelated tragedy as a platform to hate on your president? I get you all hate him but this kind of shit was happening long before he got elected. Poor form.
-Person needs help.

- Does what anyone in a normal country would do and calls the cops.

- Happy trigger law enforcement arrives and shoots inside the car right next to his partner killing the person who've asked for help.

And you're worried about the feelings of cheeto president.

This all situation is pathetic. Yes, it was happening before Trump and you guys don't seem bother to fix it.

Train your officers better and solve the gun problem that you have if you want to honour these kinds of stupid killings.

Top Bottom