• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles you've regretted buying?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Jaguar (albeit Tempest 2000 was almost worth it) and the MegaCD add-on for the Megadrive.

Oh, and the MSX.

hatchx

Banned
June 1997: N64.

Bought it for Shadows of the Empire, which I really liked. After beating it, I looked around and saw there weren't any other games for it (I was Mario'd out at this point in my gaming life so disregarded Super Mario 64).

Returned the N64 and exchanged it for a PlayStation.

If you bought Shadows of the Empire, you should have held out for the superior Rogue Squadron and Battle for Naboo.

-KRS-

Lots of people regretting getting the Wii it seems. I can't say that I regret buying one, because the games that are good are fucking great, but I have to agree that it's probably the console with the least amount of games I enjoy that I've ever owned except maybe the GBC. And it's also the console which has the most games that I've regretted buying.

Ps2, yeah I said it.

I bought it a month before the 360 launched and outside of playing Smackdown hctp for a couple weeks I never played it... Actually I wish I never sold it instead of trading it at eb the day I got the 360.

I regret not selling my launch day Wii right away when I could have made a lot of money.

Sold it a year later because my roommate had one and I didn't need one too.

Buying the 3DS early. On the bright side, I've finally learned to never, ever be an early-adopter again, no matter how great the temptation.

Xbox 360
Gamecube

First, I ended up spending more time on steam so the Xbox was pointless.

And all my friends had Gamecubes, because for some reason we're all crazy about Smash. I didn't spend enough time with it.

N4Us

A Sega Nomad I found for cheap. Used it like once.

I have a 32X too but I don't count it because it came in a box of other games and systems.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Personally Xbox 360. I love the controller but after a year of Xbox Live I decided to take a stand and say no I'm not paying for something that is free for everything and has been free since Xfire and Ventrilo became a thing. But as a silver account the xbox feels so gimped, and some of my games like street fighter HD remix basically has been rendered useless for me which just gets me more upset. The fact that Microsoft gave up on producing any first party games except Halo and Kinect stuff really lessened the value of the console as a PS3 and PC owner. Instead they focus on timed exclusivity, which never really mattered much to me as I find waiting easy. It also doesn't help that I had to bother with getting 2 360 consoles replaced, one through Microsoft and the other through my extended warranty i paid for with Micro Center.

In a way I still love never having to worry again about hearing about games I have no chance of playing and my finanical standing as an adult as well as my love of games make every console worth it, so I guess I enjoy owning even the 360 to that extent, but there are periods especially during the 2 faulty consoles that I completely regretted it.

Pimpbaa

SegaCD, the original GBA, a second PSP (3000 model), a second 360 (after my first one broke). All others I enjoyed enough to not regret (including a 3DO).

kunonabi

Atari Jaguar I guess. I loved Missile Command, Alien vs Predator, Syndicate, Tempest, and a couple of other titles but it really wasn't a wise investment.

PS3 would be worthless if it wasn't for the Blu Ray capability. I really only use it Yakuza titles.

I seriously regretted the X360 when I first bought it. I waited to pick one up until there was a good 10 titles I wanted on it. All the games turned out to be terrible aside from Dead Rising and VF and then it went RROD. Since then Alone in the Dark, Bayonetta, Deadly Premonition, KoF XIII, VF, and Lost Odyssey have made it a more worthwhile purchase. Without the Wii I'd probably be out of gaming entirely.

None. I've found enjoyment in everything I've bought. Maybe I regret getting the PSP so early, but in its later years it got a ton of use.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
PSP. Never actually played any of the games I owned for it. I used it instead as a sub par music player. Sold it and bought an iPod Touch instead (no regrets).

Dizzy

Banned
360. Had so many hardware problems and weeks at the repair centre with it in the early days, by the time Microsoft finally sorted out the hardware problems PS3 had become my primary console and I had very little interest in 360 anymore. When it was working it was alright but looking back I would have just stuck with last-gen for a little bit longer until the Wii/PS3 came out.

Also probably most handhelds. Nothing against them I just don't never play them. Waste of money for me.

Pre-Xenoblade I regretted the Wii, that single game justified the purchase in the end.

Atm I'm regretting both the 3ds and the Vita, though I'm sure I'll eventually appreciate them.

Edit: Oh right, I regretted my 360 enough that I sold it.

drspeedy

really surprised at all the PSP responses... I could have guessed Wii since it's definite;y polarizing, but my PSP has more hours on it than I'd care to admit. And after I started playing PS1 games on it, well, it's... it's an absolutely perfect handheld.

Rafaelcsa

Are you sure you like videogames?

Well, duh. Most of the games I cited are typical Playstation-era favorites. I grew up as a PC / Nintendo guy. I'd generally much rather have my RTSs/Point and click adventures/shmups/platformers/metroidvanias games than JRPGs/racing sims/stealth/sandbox games.

Does that explain?

joesmokey

I bought a Sega Saturn many years (10+) after the fact as that was the only main console (not counting Jaguar, etc.) missing in my collection. Definitely not worth it at that point as I think I played maybe two games total.

Also, no console has ever seen as much dust as the Wii has...

KingJ2002

Hard to say...

I guess it be that i didn't buy a playstation and instead opted for the sega saturn -> Nintendo 64 -> Dreamcast route.

easily i could say the saturn... but it turned me on to fighting games, panzer dragoon, and sega's arcade titles... and it eventually led me to buy the dreamcast which is still the best gaming experience i had... i was a complete fan.

the N64 gave me everything from super mario 64 to goldeneye.

i guess i don't regret any of those purchases... but i do regret missing out on the PlayStations golden years.

maybe it's the Wii... it gave a unique experience but looking back on it... i didnt put in any time really enjoying it like my 360.

I'm sure the Wii U will change that... the lack of HD graphics was a real turn off from wanting to start the system up.

Brofist

I would say the Wii, but I ended up selling it for about the same price I bought it. Probably was worth it just for the Mario Galaxy games anyway.

PS3 redeemed itself in the long run, although it been relegated to a DVR and Netflix box.

The system I probably regretted buying the most was the Sega Saturn. Payed more for it than the PS1, but played barely touched it.

joe2187

Banned
PS3: I only use it now to play DVD/Blu-rays

The amount of gaming I do on the PS3 is less than 2% the amount of gaming I do on the XBox, there is nothing really exciting on the PS3 save for a few exclusives, the archaic online features on the PS3 are what really break it for me, Personally I hate the bluetooth headsets and the rarity in which they work properly. The lack of party chat functionality (You add text chat?! wtf is this garbage) and more often the XMB is kind of annoying.

Arnie

My PS3, bought it for MGS4 and really didn't like it compared to previous MGS games. Apart from the Uncharted games I don't really find any of the other exclusives that special. It's basically a Blu Ray player. I don't even bother lugging it to University, I just let it collect dust some 80 miles away.

mandas

Neo Member
I have been pretty OK with all my console purchases. I regret buying the PSP. I only loved one game for it so it pretty much gathered dust.

Ponn

Banned
really surprised at all the PSP responses... I could have guessed Wii since it's definite;y polarizing, but my PSP has more hours on it than I'd care to admit. And after I started playing PS1 games on it, well, it's... it's an absolutely perfect handheld.

I think the divide with the PSP is how much you like RPG's, especially JRPG's. Since I love RPG's, especially SRPG's and JRPG's the PSP was an awesome machine for me, probably one of my all time tops.

Nintendo Wii and PSP.

That's pretty much it. Every other console, right down to the Sega Saturn, had enough memorable experiences to make them worthwhile. Not those two though. :(

None really.

I bought the PS2 exclusively for GT3 and GT4, but I don't regret the purchase.
PSP was a good purchase for me, owned plenty of games for it. Enjoyed it.
The 360 I bought exclusively for Forza 4 too buy don't regret that either.
And the PS3 is easily my most played/most games owned for - system of all time. No regrets there.

Even going back to NES/Sega days, those things were great.

Mafro

PSP.

Bought it, played Peace Walker and absolutely loved it. Tried playing Portable Ops, Chains of Olympus, Crisis Core and a few others but they just felt like watered down console experiences. Quickly sold it.

dock

sWGsIduC

Yeah...

Not a console, but I sorta regretted this:
3uBUycvl

namDa65

PSX, barely played it, I had spyro though.

360. '08-'09 was great, before that I was PC, then went PC after again. Then I got a ps3.

My 360 hopefully will never die on me though. Has not once, although it is louder than normal and makes weird noises when turning it on and off. *knock on wood*.

JimboJones

Gamecube, not that it was a bad console but the PS2 had much more diverse library of games and everyone else had one.

GC games where generally poorly stocked in shops making it harder to pick up games and no one I knew gave a shit about Metroid Prime or Zelda so it kind of deflated there appeal as I kinda liked talking to my friends about games. Also since no one else had a GC it was pretty sore on what little funds I had at the time since I couldn't trade games with anyone or get a lend of anything, had to buy everything.

willooi

I had a Saturn, but instead of regret, it ended up in fierce tribal loyalty to the machine. People learned real quick to NEVER mention the Playstation in my presence.

And even though Sega pretty much abandoned the console prematurely (but not as badly as they did the Sega-CD and 32X), I was happy to never have owned a N64, as amazing as it was at the start: playing at my friends' houses was enough as the quality games dried up quickly.

I'm also torn about the PS3 - I've bought and sold it off, rebought and sold again, then rebought that machine, and still not convinced. Just sits there now as an 'option'.

Top Bottom