• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthquake in Japan Magnitude 9.0 (Japan ups nuke crisis to lvl7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezekial45

Banned
Getting a tsunami warning here in the states (San Francisco).

This is just awful, my heart goes out to the people there suffering through this.

I mean, jesus, the entire fucking airport's tarmac is underwater!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
tWVJO.png

I4mdq.png

LProtag

I wish it weren't 2:30 here and I didn't have my friend's number. Sending out texts to see if anyone can get in contact with him, but I have no idea who's up.

lo escondido

Apartheid is, in fact, not institutional racism
Teknoman said:
The way tsunamis look, you forget that it's a radius spread type effect, and not just a single direction wave. Apparently its a pretty wide area.

Also whats with CNN saying the yen value dropped sharply after the quake? Does that always happen when a country suffers a huge natural disaster?

I would imagine, this doesn't make investment attractive if they've got to rebuild a lot.

medrew

Teknoman said:
Also whats with CNN saying the yen value dropped sharply after the quake? Does that always happen when a country suffers a huge natural disaster?

Yes. That is pretty standard. The same thing happened with Koreans shooting at each other, the protesting in Libya (oil shocks) and the Earthquake in New Zealand.

It would be shocking for it not to happen.

Weenerz

Banned
Al Jazeera is actually pretty damn good about news update, and the host must have huge lungs, he hasn't taken a break for the last 30 minutes or so.

LProtag

Even if my friend's phone would work over there and could get a message from the U.S., the cell towers are probably down right?

The question about the Yen, currency should drop because the countries economy is going to take a massive, massive hit with this.

Jeff-DSA

Wow. I can't watch anymore. I saw a guy on a motorcycle trying to outrun the tsunami but it was a futile attempt.

Good luck, Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom