• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

XShagrath

Boo...most of the reviews are saying there is still the audio issue
I haven't played 2014 yet, but I have never experienced notable lag playing either the PC version or the 360 version. However, I'm running analog audio on both. I heard the latency issues are pretty much isolated to running audio through HDMI.

j-wood

I haven't played 2014 yet, but I have never experienced notable lag playing either the PC version or the 360 version. However, I'm running analog audio on both. I heard the latency issues are pretty much isolated to running audio through HDMI.

Yeah, my TV setup that's the only way I can do things though...i don't have an external surround sound system.

However, I'm wondering if I can try this out. My line 6 amp has a CD/MP3 line in jack. So I wonder if I can use the red/white analog cables out of the PS3 and into a conversion jack to hook it into my amp.

XShagrath

However, I'm wondering if I can try this out. My line 6 amp has a CD/MP3 line in jack. So I wonder if I can use the red/white analog cables out of the PS3 and into a conversion jack to hook it into my amp.
That may work. I bought a 1/4" Y-splitter and run my guitar to the RealTone and then to my amp. Can't wait to crank it up tomorrow.

catabarez

What I do with my PC when I play Rocksmith is just put some headphones in the front headphone jack. I feel like that helped out because I use HDMI to my TV.

Any idea if this uses Uplay?

just purchased the bundle, beyond stoked to play this. been playing acoustic guitar for little over a year now so i should at least be somewhat familiar with some of the chords and picking patterns, but i know i'll still suck haha. I hope the guitar that comes with it is decent, sounds like it will be based on some of the impressions i've read. can't wait for this bad boy to show up at my door.

DrBo42

Just played for about 30 minutes on PC. Initial reaction is that the visual delay is built for console and not a lag-less setup so I had to turn the latency buffer all the way to 0 until it was accurate. Once that was done...man... So much better than the first one. Tone quality is far and beyond, hit detection is much better, riff repeater is incredible.

Edit: I'm going to try streaming it if the lag isn't too terrible once I take everything out of audio exclusivity mode.

BigDug13

just purchased the bundle, beyond stoked to play this. been playing acoustic guitar for little over a year now so i should at least be somewhat familiar with some of the chords and picking patterns, but i know i'll still suck haha. I hope the guitar that comes with it is decent, sounds like it will be based on some of the impressions i've read. can't wait for this bad boy to show up at my door.

If you have an acoustic guitar with a pickup that has a phono out jack you can use it. Basically any guitar with a pickup that can electronically output sound from a phono jack should work.

I've played Rocksmith 1 with my acoustic both on 360 version and PC version.

Shadybiz

What I do with my PC when I play Rocksmith is just put some headphones in the front headphone jack. I feel like that helped out because I use HDMI to my TV.

I second this. I have a pair of Turtle Beach headphones plugged into one of those external soundcards. If there is any delay at all, I really don't notice it, so I'm assuming this method will work for RS 2014, too.

King_Moc

Banned
I second this. I have a pair of Turtle Beach headphones plugged into one of those external soundcards. If there is any delay at all, I really don't notice it, so I'm assuming this method will work for RS 2014, too.

I found that my soundcard was adding lag with it's post processing. I ran the audio straight from the motherboard to my amplifier and turned all the effects off of it. That gave me borderline no lag. The best way of seeing if you have too much audio lag is to go into the free play mode and just play the same note fast. If you have too much audio lag, it gets really confusing as the sound from the game and from the actual guitar aren't in sync.

Chairhome

I just tried some REM Losing my Religion and some "Return to Castle Chordead" and I'm loving it. Seems much improved over the last one.

R1CHO

Just played for about 30 minutes on PC. Initial reaction is that the visual delay is built for console and not a lag-less setup so I had to turn the latency buffer all the way to 0 until it was accurate. Once that was done...man... So much better than the first one. Tone quality is far and beyond, hit detection is much better, riff repeater is incredible.

Edit: I'm going to try streaming it if the lag isn't too terrible once I take everything out of audio exclusivity mode.

Thanks for the impressions! Great to hear about the quality and the detection.

Vesper73

Anyone else having a problem playing purchased DLC from Rocksmith 1 on PC?

I even bought the import tool, (which actually did import the normal songs from Rocksmith), but for whatever reason the Rocksmith 1 DLC songs aren't showing up in the playlist.

Stranger still, if I go into the in-game STORE it shows that I already own the very songs that don't show up in the list! Needs my 'Just Like Heaven' fix today! :)

Apart from that, I'm really loving the changes! So good.

Xyber

Anyone know if custom songs still work with Rocksmith 2014?

Customs does not work at the moment from what I can tell. Placed a song in the DLC folder and it didn't load in the game.

If you are living in Europe and want to unlock the game now, you can download Spotflux and download it with that active. For being a proxy you get great speeds, I got ~2,5MB/s.

Just install it, start Steam and you will be able to download. When it's done downloading, go into offline mode with Steam and after that you can turn off the proxy and play the game. It will lock if you go online on Steam again with your normal connection and you need to redo that last step to get it to offline mode with the proxy.

The game is great, load times are almost completely gone. Tone switching is really fast and smooth.

My one issue right now is that some tones just are very low and you can barely hear your guitar over the music.

Shurayuki

Watching the stream now, the guitarcade games look cool.
The jamming mode really seems to work, impressive.

The menu structure in the original just pissed me off to no end, and made learning the harder songs really hard.
Had to look up tabs from the net because it was impossible to learn specific passages, despite riff repeater. 2014 seemingly fixing this is huge!

I just would like more information on songs to come, I'm really pining for Japanese songs, and the release in Japan and having B'z on there gave me great hope, but seems kinda lonely for now?
Ah ok, some googling while writing this post revealed at least some info from Riff Repeater, 19 song DLC, old news but hadn't heard of that.
The day I can play some YUI in Rocksmith will be the day I become a religious man, alas, it shall not be. Tomoyasu Hotei and 9mm are very welcome though, 9mm was #3 on my list of who I wanted to see.
Now to wait for them to announce a date for this pack (and hopefully more, much more). Anybody else into some J-Rock?

Anyone has experience with cdkeys.com.au?

Rocksmith 2014 is 28€ on there. Did a little research and found mostly positive stuff.

That price would be impulse buy territory though, great price, already have the cable. Gabe have mercy with my wallet, for I am weak. Are they legit?

That price would be impulse buy territory though, great price, already have the cable. Gabe have mercy with my wallet, for I am weak. Are they legit?

Just bought a key from them. It´s processing right now (as it´s about 8 am in australia). Going to post once i have the key.

Varna

Downloading. Been waiting for this one. Sucks that you have to pay an import fee but I guess it's pretty standard practice with licensed stuff like music.

Any essential tweaks for the PC version? I expect there to be issues like the original.

HKnightz

I think someone was saying he put the latency down to 0 to eliminate lag. Can't wait til I get off of work so I can start this bad boy

DrBo42

I've been streaming and playing for 8 hours. How did this happen...you can get so fucking lost in session mode. My god. I'm awful but I can't stop.

Varna

Can't even start the game. Awful sound.. similar to when I tried and set my latency settings too low in RS1.

sladeums

Man, the GameStop I preordered from only got in one copy to fill their preorders, fortunately I was the first one to show up.

Played for 6 straight hours on PS3 with no freezing.

Anyone that lost their mind over load times have no more worries.
Barely any load times on this at all ... huge departure from all the load screen idling in the first game.

Bends and position changes are a lot better illustrated

Preset tones are greatly improved.

Mid-song tone switching and drop in and out Riff Repeater are game changers.

Really interested to go back to some of the DLC and see if previous tracks got the chord recognition cleaned up.

Only thing I'm not keen on is the string coloring .. there seems to be far less hue difference between the low E (red), A (yellow), G (orange) this time around.
And the fretboard can get a bit too zoomed out in the busier songs, which doesn't help.

This will definitely continue to be my most played franchise.
Still can't believe how hyped I am for an Ubi game.

Fixed1979

Has anyone in Canada found a PS3 version without the cable? My Walmart didn't have any PS3 copies, GS only had the version with the cable and Amazon.ca is apparently "sold out"...maybe I'll just get Steam.

Has anyone tested this with the pulse elite headphones?

I've been playing this way with the music preset, but I have the audio set to multi and I put the old composite cables in for audio and they sound great.

This game shits on the first game as far as setting up your rift repeater and lessons.

splattered

I'm super excited to go pick this up after work today...

Still a little bummed that this didn't also come out on PS4 and XBO.

I have a bit of a backlog on the 360 but I'm really looking forward to moving away from it and focusing on next gen.

Feels like I'm taking a step backwards as a continue to purchase current/last gen games.

elfinke

/terrific feedback

Thanks for the comments, they echo the reviews I've been reading. It may be partly due to having bought a guitar (and thus have 'invested' in this game beyond the norm), but I am super excited to get into this tomorrow and then over the weekend. Being a lefty I'll have to rejig the way the PC is setup so I can play in front of it (unless I output to the PJ or TV... hmmmm), but still, can't wait!

I've been streaming and playing for 8 hours. How did this happen...you can get so fucking lost in session mode. My god. I'm awful but I can't stop.

And thanks for the stream: I watched a bunch of it over breakfast and only stopped when Vinny started playing Dark Souls for Giantbomb around 0930.

Maddog

Has anyone in Canada found a PS3 version without the cable? My Walmart didn't have any PS3 copies, GS only had the version with the cable and Amazon.ca is apparently "sold out"...maybe I'll just get Steam.

BestBuy didn't get any copies so gave me the cable version for $60

Onemic

wtf, the game doesnt start up for me on steam.

EDIT: tried to restart my pc, but before I did it said " failed to connect to Uplay" any advice on how to fix this?
EDIT2: nvm, it's loading up Uplay now

BasicCable

Neo Member
For anyone having audio issues (static/slow audio) on PC, I found that my issue was that Rocksmith 2014 did not like my Xonar DX sound card (yes, I have updated drivers). Once I disconnected it and went with onboard audio, everything was good to go.

Just bought a key from them. It´s processing right now (as it´s about 8 am in australia). Going to post once i have the key.

Just got the e-mail that i received a steam gift. redeemed it and now in my library. Just have to wait for the 24th since i´m in austria.

Shop is legit.

Onemic

how do you get the thing that allows you to import rs1 tracks? It told me I could and then led me to the steam store with no explanation on what to do. I see nothing but a few of the new downloadable songs looking at RS2 DLC.

Varna

Looks like for best results you have to play this game with you're mobos onboard sound card.

how do you get the thing that allows you to import rs1 tracks? It told me I could and then led me to the steam store with no explanation on what to do. I see nothing but a few of the new downloadable songs looking at RS2 DLC.

Check the main 2014 page. you will see it. Fair warning bought DLC does not seem to transfer yet...

As for the actual game.

WOW. That's about all I have to say. They improved so much of the interface. No loading at all and it's super easy to keep practicing sections of songs or just do whatever you want. Sorting, picking individual song challenges is so damn smooth and slick now.

Card Boy

Banned
So is there a difficulty setting yet or does it have the adaptative difficulty crap from the first one? Ideally you would have both options.

Iorv3th

Even though I pre-ordered my store did not get a copy in for me :(.

I will try and pick it up tomorrow at a different store or else order online and wait.

Varna

I do kind of miss the "campaign" from the first Rocksmith. Reminds me of the way RB3 became pretty bare-bones compared to it's previous entries.

Ezduo

Banned
Can you plug an acoustic guitar in or does it have to be electric? And why can you plug in a bass? Will this teach you how to play bass guitar too?

catabarez

Can you plug an acoustic guitar in or does it have to be electric? And why can you plug in a bass? Will this teach you how to play bass guitar too?

It has both bass and regular guitar options. If you have a way of plugging in the acoustic then it is possible to use it.

Top Bottom