• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

Like said, Rick seems like he'll be as fun as Ayer was

Snyder and Jenkins weren't as gnarly

CkULADDVAAEdVIo.jpg:orig

Today was a BLUR

https://twitter.com/RickFamuyiwa/status/740009819550027776

Ninjimbo

I really love Enchantress' design. It seems like her acting is not going to be great, but the look is on point.
They did a great job with her costume and makeup. She seems otherworldly. I think Cara can pull it off since I don't think she's going to get a ton of screen time.

So he's going to write the film as well? I thought there was a script already.

It wouldn't be unheard of for a director to make a few script tweaks himself (especially since he wrote the films he directed), plus he prolly wants to get a good feel for the character (by reading Mark Waid Flash run, rick plz....) so he's just dabbling through the comics.

Dead

well not really...yet
More than likely he will be doing a last draft and polishing it up. He has writing credit on all his films iirc

Wan is out there talking up Aquaman, too. Given the rumored writers, that's an instance I'm glad he has plenty of time to consider adjusting. Can't speak one way or the other about The Flash's script. But Lord&Miller have enough confidence in Seth to have him write LEGO Batman.

Wan is out there talking up Aquaman, too. Given the rumored writers, that's an instance I'm glad he has plenty of time to consider adjusting. Can't speak one way or the other about The Flash's script. But Lord&Miller have enough confidence in Seth to have him write LEGO Batman.

you can tell from the writers they picked for aquaman that they're gonna go for an empire/war theme for the film.

Yager

Banned
I really love Enchantress' design. It seems like her acting is not going to be great, but the look is on point.

Well, I think that just by looking kinda creepy it'll be OK. I doubt she'll have much screentime. And yes, her desing is great.

Arnie7

Banned
What do you guys make of this rumour posted on reddit about BvS Ultimate Cut? Obviously don't get your hopes up too much could be all fake but some stuff changed would be more than I thought.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DC_Cinemat...tman_v_superman_ultimate_cut_and_dceu_rumors/

Not my content so don't shoot the messenger. This was posted by /u/DC_CINEMATIC. It is the first post that account has made so obviously take it with a grain of salt. Here's the post:

These are all rumors.

TIER 1 - Confirmed by multiple sources
TIER 2 - Confirmed by some, denied by others
TIER 3 - Speculation from within that has yet to be confirmed.

TIER 1:

- The African woman who speaks at the beginning of the film is an actress paid for by Lex Luthor.

- Mercy was uncomfortable with what Luthor was doing. Knowing this, Lex leads Mercy to her death out of spite for being unfaithful to him.
The Justice League cameos are not via an email in the Ultimate Cut.

- Aquaman, Flash and Cyborg are seen in "action" during the end credits. Due to time constraints, they had to cut this sequence and their stories within the film. The email scene was a last minute idea to be able tease the Justice League characters in a short amount of time.

- Luthor comes across as a more grounded character. His story makes much more sense with all his important character moments included and in the correct order.

- Snyder signed on to make a "3 and a half hour epic" and stressed the importance of this as to separate themselves from what Marvel is doing. He stressed that he needed at least 3 hours. WB gave him the go ahead. This cut of the film received overwhelmingly positive reception from within the studio, which made them over-confident. Having been impressed by the quality of the film, they then focused their attention towards the profitability of the film. 2 MONTHS before the release date, Warner Bros panicked and pulled the plug on the idea of a 3 hour film.

- Man of Steel sequel is happening. Date will be announced at SDCC 2016

TIER 2:

- We get a glimpse of Themyscira.

- Lois and Diana have met before.

- 'Justice League' will be at least 2 and a half hours long, but with a much simpler/lighter story. Snyder had planned for it to be longer, but it was always going to be lighter in tone.

- Ben Affleck is supportive of Zack Snyder. As is Warner Bros.

TIER 3 -
- Zack Snyder doesn't want to direct Justice League part 2. Instead, he is planning on adapting a novel for his next project.

SJRB

Gold Member
I sometimes entertain the thought that the UC will end up being a total redemption for everyone involved.

I hope that's the case and we can all move forward without the cumbersome shackles of BvS's "failure".

Firemind

- Aquaman, Flash and Cyborg are seen in "action" during the end credits. Due to time constraints, they had to cut this sequence and their stories within the film. The email scene was a last minute idea to be able tease the Justice League characters in a short amount of time.
This doesn't even make sense. Why would it hurt the screentime if it's an end credit scene? And I thought Snyder said he wasn't a fan of them.

IconGrist

If even like half of that is true I can only imagine Snyder must be getting sick of these execs fucking with his shit all the time. Not to say BvS will become some epic masterpiece all of a sudden but first impressions and all that. Snyder needed a win here and instead he's taking almost sole blame for everything.

This doesn't even make sense. Why would it hurt the screentime if it's an end credit scene? And I thought Snyder said he wasn't a fan of them.

I read that as there being additional footage or different scenes altogether. It does sound like bullshit though.

shingi70

Banned
The cyborg, aqua man, flash sounds like a rumor leftover from that ending montage speculation, which turned out to be false. Shame because the cameos would have been handled so much better if done toward the end or during the scene Akatsuki Soukenhere lex is giving his metahuman theory to finich. That or have their first appearances be in the Knightmare scene.

antovolk

Feel the rumours are BS partly because:

1. from Roven's & Snyders (both Zack and Deb) interviews - the decision to cut the film down & have a longer cut on Blu was made in summer of 2015 after the first friends/family/test screenings of the 3hr cut (which would later become the UC) - all the "standing ovation" reports and so on. Snyder then worked on finishing up the 3hr version once he locked in the theatrical sometime during the fall - late September actually as that's when the MPAA gave the theatrical cut the PG13.

2. We already have an opening credits sequence, a second main-on-end credits w/ the JL members would make zero sense IMHO. as for integrating them differently into the main film itself, that sounds interesting.

EDIT: to consider - so this early Aug 2015 report was about the 3hr cut (which Roven later confirmed was used for the first internal screenings): http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/bat...ffleck-to-star-in-3-stand-alone-batman-movies

So after that Snyder in just under two months cut it down to 2:30 (the MPAA classified the theatrical cut in late September) - and then he went back to that 3 hour cut and finished up working on that in parallel to supervising VFX, score etc right up until locking it mid-Feb when it was then rated by the MPAA.

bryanee

Isnt there like 20 days before we all find out for ourselves? I'm pretty sure all of us here will probably double dip on the digital version. Not long left now.

Magwik

Banned
Regardless of the rumor I ultimately do believe that Warner decided to cut the film short not long before release.

Ahasverus

Some Suicide Squad merchandise looks like it's targeted at the latino gangs taste. Appropiate, I suppose.

The UC info is too good to be true, but here's hoping.

Penguin

Well, I know for fact that the Wonder Woman e-mail scene was in the movie as early as last August.

So it was always an intention... whether during or after the movie.

Honestly, it would have worked better as a post-credit sequence.

Ahasverus

I hope this is the case too in which they test the waters with the animated output and peripheric products before pulling the big plug. I want my JLD movie.

J_Viper

With all that rumored new footage, I wonder if some scenes from the theatrical release are cut.

Now that we have the full Africa scene, that bizarre Kryptonion Bullet side-plot can be axed.

Effect

You know how many have said BvS is a film you need to see at least twice to take in everything. I wonder if there might very well be an improved reaction to the Ultimate Edition version based on that alone outside of the new footage. I've always believed many people, especially the overly negative detractors, only saw the film once and let their initial reaction ride without any further thought on the mater. There have been plenty of people that have said that their opinions on the film improved during a second watching because they got the overall story the first time and were able to take in everything else or things they missed the second viewing because there is just so much in the film. If this stays the case I wonder if the UE might get perhaps an unfair praise in improving the film for people where as people might just have needed that overall second rewatch.

Personally I've always felt one should rewatch or reread something to make sure your opinions on something are solid. This is less likely needed when watching a long running show or reading a really long book. There is enough content there where you can form an opinion on the writing, acting, etc by the time you're done. With a film though that can be anywhere from just over an hour to three hours and with there being little time for you to properly digest what you're hearing and seeing visually, since things are usually turned up compared to a TV episode and you are actively doing and thinking about other things right away. Doesn't mean things will always improve on a second watch and hell things could turn negatively but I think things would be fairer that way. One isn't coming to final judgement based on raw feelings.

Ninjimbo

Regardless of the rumor I ultimately do believe that Warner decided to cut the film short not long before release.
Yep. Ever since that /tv/ rumor popped up about how WB wanted a shorter movie to get more showings in theaters, I can't help but think that is exactly what ended up happening. WB knew the movie was going to be divisive (they probably didn't expect the crucification it got from critics) so they asked Snyder for a shorter cut to get the most money out of the initial hype train. It was a cut designed to make as much money as possible in the first three weeks.

Anyways, I want to believe Mercy had a larger role so I hope that part of the Reddit rumor is real. I can't imagine Snyder approached Tao just to have her lingering around in the background for the whole movie.

Effect

Same. It's been the one aspect of this that continues to makes sense when I look at various things. I still believe the film was suppose to be 3 hours and they were okay with it and then it got cut down.

The email scene was so stupid. If it was last minute it all makes sense now.

Zack should've called Nolan to help him convience WB to keep the 3 hr version.

Penguin

Honestly, cut the Knightmare sequence

Move the e-mail scene to post-credit.

And a lot of complaints go away. There would still be some, but eh two less things for folks to whine about

Effect

Wasn't there suppose to be more to the Knightmare scene? That it was suppose to be longer?

I wouldn't be against the email scene being either moved around or just removed. The Knightmare scene is the one I had the biggest issue with in the film. The lead into it and the lead out of it was messy. The scene itself was great but the bookends are the problem. That was always my biggest negative with the film and I keep hoping that is handled better. If there is anything in the film that I felt could have been removed it would have been that entire section. Instead lead right into the files with Bruce looking at all of them and only showing Diana only opening hers with it being implied she looked at all of them. Having her see them right before the final action scenes happen messes with the flow I think.

Penguin

Seems like Wan had a choice between Aquaman and The Flash

Was it always Aquaman? Or were other DC movies in the mix?

It was, well, oh jeez, this would be a big tidbit: They asked me which of the two characters I’d be interested in and it was between The Flash and Aquaman.

A lot of people might have picked The Flash. That’s interesting. How did you weigh those two?

This is how I weighed it: For me, we’ve seen various versions of The Flash…

There’s a current popular television show.

Exactly. There’s a popular show on TV and there was a great one in the ‘90s.

I watched every episode.

Exactly. I loved that Flash! But the thing that ultimately pushed me more towards Aquaman is I love the possibility of creating a whole new world. I’ve always wanted to do a world creation story and visually create this amazing, incredible, magical kingdom. And also, I love the fact that Aquaman is an underdog character. I love the fact that people like to make fun of him. [Laughs.] I feel the bar is a lot lower and I can have fun with him!

http://uproxx.com/movies/james-wan-conjuring-2-aquaman-flash/2/

Effect

Underwater by it's very nature induces fear and horror once you start going deep enough. A lot of the life once you start going going deeper then you can see from a boat is crazy and straight nightmare fuel when you get deep enough. No need to try and make it a horror movie. It will get get there naturally simply by being live action. No way it doesn't get to that point unless you're trying to purposefully trying to recreate the kingdom of The Little Mermaid and even then that's an if. That does make me wonder how a live action Little Mermaid would turn out.

Logically I felt the email should've been Bruce after the knightmare. You have this moment of, here's this dream of Flash telling Bruce this message, he wakes up and believes it to be yet another paranoid nightmare. But then he sees the same guy stopping a robbery super fast and is like, hold up, that was real? Feed into his paranoia.

Not sure the ultimate cut will touch on it but I'd also like more interactions between WW and Supes. If only a moment where he questions if she's Kryptonian. From his perspective, the only powered beings he encountered have been Kryptonian. In theory it is a huge deal to learn there are others like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom