• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video: Gamestop manager threatens to release angry customer's details over GTA V spat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBGtajCKkO0

I always wondered why American gamers hated Gamestop so much, it's easy to see why now though.

She was apparently fired according to a youtube comment:
I work for GS in the LA area. I am happy to report to all of you that this bitch has been fired as of today. She was a cunt to work for, and trust me when I say that we are all happy that she is gone. Also, she has done worse than just this. Just last year she was under investigation for fudging the numbers in her books because money and games were coming up missing. She talked her way out of it and pegged it on an innocent girl who just killed herself this past May. Burn in hell Chrys.

That escalated quickly.

AXDkc.png

An individual does not reflect on a company. People hate GameStop because they have shitty policies that require their employees to be pushy about things you didn't go there to buy, they never get extra copies of new games for people that don't pre-order so you can rarely just walk in and casually buy a new game, they pay an insultingly low amount for trade-ins, and they sell hollowed-out, shelf-worn, sticker-covered copies as new if that's the last one they have (and it usually is the last one they have, if they have new copies at all). That stuff is policy and consistent across the chain.

Also, was the misogynistic hate-speech necessary here? That shit's not okay.

Anyway, that woman seems like a terrible person. I work in customer service and tech support, and I deal with a lot of unpleasant customers, but the customer was 100% in the right in this case.

Teknoman

That escalated quickly.

Heh GS actually put that phrase into one of their in store commercials as well. South Park stick of truth I believe. Knew she would have been fired though... Even if what the guy was doing was uncalled for (Which it was. Any adult should have some form of government ID on them these days / should know doubly so for an M rated reserved title just in case), she shouldnt have thrown out that "Who wants his email" bit. The sarcastic thanks for your service thing was enough.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why were the customers in the store kind of criticising the guy? Maybe because he held them up? No idea of the context of this - seems they started filming after it already got heated

jabuseika

Both parties acted poorly.

Though, it was completely unnecessary for the manager to rabble rouse the crowd to continue egging on the customer as he was leaving. If that's how you run a business, then I don't want to step foot in it.

Chindogg

An individual does not reflect on a company. People hate GameStop because they have shitty policies that require their employees to be pushy about things you didn't go there to buy, they never get extra copies of new games for people that don't pre-order so you can rarely just walk in and casually buy a new game, they pay an insultingly low amount for trade-ins, and they sell hollowed-out, shelf-worn, sticker-covered copies as new if that's the last one they have. That stuff is policy and consistent across the chain.

That's a totally fair argument and the misogyny is completely unwarranted, but she was absurdly unprofessional and should not be in a position of customer service under any circumstance. Threatening to spread private information is not only unprofessional, but depending on the state its illegal as well. She should have taken a breath, solved the situation in a calm manner, then walked in the back and screamed for a few minutes to release the tension.

The customer was a whiny asshole, but that does not excuse the manager from handing the situation extremely poorly

$h@d0w

I'm not sure if the manager deserved to get fired over that single incident as we don't know how the customer was behaving before the camera was rolling. However, the onus is definitely on her to make sure customers leave happy and satisfied - it's her job. I would certainly not expect employees to threaten or ridicule customers as they are leaving the store.

That's a totally fair argument and the misogyny is completely unwarranted, but she was absurdly unprofessional and should not be in a position of customer service under any circumstance. Threatening to spread private information is not only unprofessional, but depending on the state its illegal as well. She should have taken a breath, solved the situation in a calm manner, then walked in the back and screamed for a few minutes to release the tension.

The customer was a whiny asshole, but that does not excuse the manager from handing the situation extremely poorly

In what conceivable way?

RaikuHebi

Banned
Lol at the White Knights in the video. Second video of an American woman harassing someone this week (Chelsea footballer Ashley Cole the victim in the other one), where assholes decide to back the bitch up.

An individual does not reflect on a company. People hate GameStop because they have shitty policies that require their employees to be pushy about things you didn't go there to buy, they never get extra copies of new games for people that don't pre-order so you can rarely just walk in and casually buy a new game, they pay an insultingly low amount for trade-ins, and they sell hollowed-out, shelf-worn, sticker-covered copies as new if that's the last one they have. That stuff is policy and consistent across the chain.

Anyway, that woman seems like a terrible person. I work in customer service and tech support, and I deal with a lot of unpleasant customers, but the customer was 100% in the right in this case.

The pushing things can be annoying, but really all I ever do is say no. It's not that difficult. I was bouncing around Gamestops in my area this week picking up PS2/PSP games and I saw they had plenty of non-reserved copies of GTA5 and were selling them, so don't know what you're talking about with that second part. For the third part, if you don't like the prices, don't sell there? All I know is that as long as people still do, I get to pick up damn cheap games at the end of the generation when they're clearing out stock. Clearly their price is good enough for some people.

When you are the manager, you are paid to deal with this crap no matter how poorly the customer treats you.

Clearly, she is not management material.

Reminds me why I couldn't and would never work in customer service.
I'd rather work 3rd shift, alone, in a poorly lit closet, then deal with customers with a smile...I'd be to inclined to tell people to go fuck themselves.

Stimpack

I missed the comment she said as he was leaving, basically egging him on. I retract my statement about the guy and completely place blame on her. She should never work in a place that deals with customers ever again. That's beyond infuriating.

I agree. I can't believe she even said that, let alone having a snarky attitude. That's just bad business, and she sure as hell shouldn't work in retail, let alone in a managerial position.

When you are the manager, you are paid to deal with this crap no matter how poorly the customer treats you.

Clearly, she is not management material.

And in this situation it wasn't even a case of being treated poorly. Completely unprofessional, felt like I was back in high school, the way she was trying so hard to look cool in front of everyone.

Threatening to release someone's private information is not cool, and more than likely illegal behavior in her position. She's not some average employee. She's a manager and should know better. Regardless of anything else that transpired, she has no business being in that position and deserved to be fired.

I'm not sure if the manager deserved to get fired over that single incident as we don't know how the customer was behaving before the camera was rolling. However, the onus is definitely on her to make sure customers leave happy and satisfied - it's her job. I would certainly not expect employees to threaten or ridicule customers as they are leaving the store.
Assuming this is remotely true I'd say she did before this incident regardless:
I work for GS in the LA area. I am happy to report to all of you that this bitch has been fired as of today. She was a cunt to work for, and trust me when I say that we are all happy that she is gone. Also, she has done worse than just this. Just last year she was under investigation for fudging the numbers in her books because money and games were coming up missing. She talked her way out of it and pegged it on an innocent girl who just killed herself this past May. Burn in hell Chrys.

While I'm not saying she was in the right, I mean its common knowledge that customer service (especially management) is to just smile and take it, but Im sure a few factors added to her shitty behavior...
Midnight launch
A crowd (no one likes to get shit on in front of people)
A camera (no one wants to get verbally world star'd)
A crowd with supporters of her cunty'ness

It was a short flippant comment about the guys business card, prob one of those "ah fuck I went to far" moments where you have foot and mouth syndrome and your stomache drops.
You can see her fluster up as he returns back, I'm guessing a cold sweat hit her and her hand shook as she wrote her info down.

Septimius

That's fantastic.

EDIT: Really. She said that. So many times. "No, we really do appreciate your business" "Well, you won't be getting my business anymore" "That's fantastic"

Nephtis

Maybe the guy deserved to be made fun of, but there are clear lines that aren't to be crossed professionally. She was so far from that line, it looked like a dot.

I hope she gets fired -- she could have simply taken the guy to the side and explain why he needed his ID; due to company policy or what have you -- and let the other customers receive their game.

She clearly isn't in a capacity to be a manager, much less a district manager.

Maybe the guy deserved to be made fun of, but there are clear lines that aren't to be crossed professionally. She was so far from that line, it looked like a dot.

I hope she gets fired -- she could have simply taken the guy to the side and explain why he needed his ID; due to company policy or what have you -- and let the other customers receive their game.

she is fired

Teknoman

She shouldnt have done the whole email retort, but taking the guy to the side and explaining wouldnt have done much. I've dealt with people like that before, and one they believe they are in the right...they will be adamant about the point for the long run. Besides, before the recording started, she seemed to have told him over and over that they needed an ID, so he probably left and came back with his ID, and brought the argument up again, and about how they wouldnt get his service again.

Stupid responses on both sides for sure.

The pushing things can be annoying, but really all I ever do is say no. It's not that difficult. I was bouncing around Gamestops in my area this week picking up PS2/PSP games and I saw they had plenty of non-reserved copies of GTA5 and were selling them, so don't know what you're talking about with that second part. For the third part, if you don't like the prices, don't sell there? All I know is that as long as people still do, I get to pick up damn cheap games at the end of the generation when they're clearing out stock. Clearly their price is good enough for some people.
You're seriously using GTA V as an example for them having games in stock? That is going to be one of their biggest sellers ever, so they're going to get every copy they can.

There are three GameStops in my town, and none of them had new copies of The Last of Us in on day one that weren't for pre-order. And I work third shift, so I was asking when they opened, not later that night or something, so it's not like they sold out. If they had any at all, they had to have been holding them for friends. And of course they then came back at me with "are there any other games you want to pre-order now so this doesn't happen again?" You didn't give me the thing I wanted, and you're trying to push something else that isn't even out. My answer was "no, I'm just going to go over to the Walmart in this same parking lot, walk in, and buy a copy". The only reason I didn't go straight to a Walmart in the first place was that I had a leg injury and would have preferred to walk into a smaller store that day.

That is a fairly typical scenario in my experience with that company, not a one-off example.

Also, I'm not sure what's going on with you that you're so adamant about coming to the defense of a multi-billion-dollar corporation.

Should have checked to see if he drove to the GS because clearly he doesnt have his license on him. If he did then call the cops and report him as a suspected drunk driver.

And in this situation it wasn't even a case of being treated poorly. Completely unprofessional, felt like I was back in high school, the way she was trying so hard to look cool in front of everyone.

I completely agree with you, but I would add that having a poor attitude and speaking to anyone in the manner the customer was is verbally abusive.

People don't just jump into a defensive mode for no reason at all.

In otherwords, as someone who works in customer service (especially a manager), your defensive impulses should be completely off. Her's was clearly on. Thus, she isn't suitable for a job in customer service.

Nephtis

She shouldnt have done the whole email retort, but taking the guy to the side and explaining wouldnt have done much. I've dealt with people like that before, and one they believe they are in the right...they will be adamant about the point for the long run.

True, but it would have removed him from the queue and would have allowed the other customers to get their game. Even if he was adamant, she could have just insisted it's company policy and just refuse to give him the game.

Teknoman

True, but it would have removed him from the queue and would have allowed the other customers to get their game. Even if he was adamant, she could have just insisted it's company policy and just refuse to give him the game.

Yeah, I guess in the end, the worst thing he could have done was just leave...come back later and cancel.

Top Bottom