• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Trading |OT|

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
mk5BZ.jpg

PoAj5.jpg

While the trading of virtual items may seem like a silly metagame, it's taken very seriously by a very dedicated community. If you're not familiar with the way the TF2 economy works, you could find yourself being preyed upon by scammers looking to take advantage of you.

There are certain items in this world that have "real" value; some as low as $5-$10, and others with values upwards of $100-$300. Be educated. Don't be a victim.

If you want to get a good estimate of the value of your items, use this spreadsheet. It is a prediction of fair market value for hats, "genuine" and "vintage" quality weapons, paints, accessories, etc. Remember that value is in the eye of the beholder, but this will make sure you don't get ripped off in a trade.
http://tf2spreadsheet.blogspot.com/

OxM1W.jpg

Before You Start
The purpose of these quick guides is to show common trade practices and scam prevention techniques. Please read these guides prior to making your first TF2 trade or sale on SourceOP NeoGAF in order to highly reduce the chance of being scammed.

Essential TF2 Links
You should bookmark all of these if you intend on getting into the trading scene.

• SteamRep+
    Use this database to find trusted traders and known scammers.
  • TF2B Backpack Viewer
    This is the simplest way to check your items from outside the game, and to share your inventory with other players.
  • TF2 Items
    An alternate backpack checker that also shows item history.
  • Official TF2 Wiki
    The best place to go to when you want to know what an item is/does.

Trading Sites
    Use these to find other players to set up trades with outside the game.

Unusual Hats
    If you're lucky enough to acquire an "unusual" hat (it will be titled with the word 'unusual,' appear in purple in your backpack, and have some sort of unique visual effect in-game), use these resources to make sure that you get a fair price for it should you choose to trade.

• vycZV.jpg

If you've ever wondered how some members of this forum have so many items for trade every weekend, this is how they do it.

Nsomf.jpg

• TF2crafting.info
      Analyzes your backpack & figures out your TF2 account's crafting possibilities
    • WILLitCRAFT
      Alternate TF2 crafting analyzer)
    • TF2items.com/CRAFTING
      Displays all possible Crafting Blueprints
    • TF2LS.com
      Keeps track of what new weapons you still need and what extra items you already have

8EGFM.jpg

Are you jealous of that sweet unusual hat that your friend has? Are you tempted to start buying keys and opening crates?

STOP

Run yourself through this simulator first. Uncrating items is much like playing the lottery; this flash game will let you experience what can happen when you start opening crates without you having to actually spend any money.

TF2 Crate Simulator

Credits:
    The_Technomancer: Thread owner
    Cuban Legend: Provided much of the actual OP content
    Divisionbyzorro: Provided OP graphics/banners

WEEKEND TRADE EXTRAVAGANZA [5th Edition!] [Updated 9/23/2010 @ 3:30 PM EST] (-05 GMT)
ALL PRICES ARE GUIDELINES & ARE NEGOTIABLE

QUAKE/GORDBORT/DEUS EX+Random Weapons: (on my alt account)
(This is for those new or old TF2-gaffers genuinely want and don't have some of the regular/UBER weapons. This is not for those looking to take advantage & resell, plskthx.)

Weapons For Trade
- Steam Profile (add if you wish to trade)
- TF2 Backpack
-I've got keys for sale @ 2.33 (2 refined 1 reclaimed) each or $2.30 USD each via paypal (bulk orders of 5+ @ 2.00 each)
- all quake, gordbort, deus ex weapons @ 1 scrap each. (buy 4 get 1 free)
- check my backpack for all other weapons @ 2 for 1 scrap each, (buy 4 get 1 free)

------
Crates for Trade:

- Steam Profile (add if you wish to trade)
- TF2 Backpack
-Regular Crates #4-#18 for trade @ 8 for 1 Scrap. 4 for 1 Random weapon.
-Strange Weapon Crates #19-#28 for trade @ 4 for 1 Scrap.
-Strange Weapon Crates #29 for trade @ 1 scrap each.

• Series 3 Crate x 6
  • Series 5 Crate
  • Series 7 Crate x 5
  • Series 9 Crate x 9
  • Series 16 Crate
  • Series 18 Crate x 4
  • Series 21 Crate
  • Series 23 Crate x 38
  • Series 24 Crate x 23
  • Series 25 Crate x 23
  • Series 26 Crate x 53
  • Series 27 Crate x 47
  • Series 28 Crate x 50
  • Series 29 Crate x 16

Anony

my backpack

first 2 pages (except the last row in the second page) is up for trade, plus all the crates
(for free if you're actually going to open it), or whatever the crate prices are which i have no clue nor i care
any weapon for a scrap each, vintage 2 scraps, would like more than a scrap for uncommon weapons and uberupdate weapons if you have more to spare, but a scrap is fine too

Page 1 up for trade.

[Backpack]

Weapons pre-SHOGUN 2 update = weapon for weapon
Weapons post-SHOGUN 2 update = 1 scrap
Dueling Mini-Games = 2 scrap
Paints = Offer
RIFT Hat Code = Anything! PLEASE GET IT OUT OF MY BACKPACK!

:D

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Sourtreats said:
Just a heads up, you can't trade it. Just redeem it and attach the DLC to your account.

Or give the code to a RIFT player that'd actually use it.

Charron said:
Or give the code to a RIFT player that'd actually use it.

Is it possible to give the code? I thought it just activated it on your account.

Sorry to take this thread off topic.

Bakphoon

I know its a bit strange, but i would like to trade the Bonk Boy hat (and something else if its not enough) away for Vampire:Bloodlines as long its on sale (the game isn't even for me, its for my brother), because i can't afford it to gift it to him.

nevermind, sale is over

I would like to trade the Bonk Boy for a tyrants helmet ( I almost never play scout)

My Backpack

I also trade the crates away, 1 random weapon for 3 crates or 6 crates for one scrap.

Hop

Sourtreats said:
Is it possible to give the code? I thought it just activated it on your account.

Sorry to take this thread off topic.

We're talking TF2 items and the transaction thereof, we're on topic. :p

And yes, you can give out the code. There's an old thread on Reddit's Rift page for it.

Also, if anyone's seeking a Soda Popper or Solemn Vow, I'm looking to complete my functional collection. Just need a Family Business, Eviction Notice, or Righteous Bison. (I'll take a Frontier Justice or Battalion's Backup instead if you toss in something else too.)

Milly79

Charron said:

And yes, you can give out the code. There's an old thread on Reddit's Rift page for it.

Also, if anyone's seeking a Soda Popper or Solemn Vow, I'm looking to complete my functional collection. Just need a Family Business, Eviction Notice, or Righteous Bison. (I'll take a Frontier Justice or Battalion's Backup instead if you toss in something else too.)
I have the two heavy weapons you're looking for, but not really interested in the items you're offering. :[

Hop

Milly79 said:
I have the two heavy weapons you're looking for, but not really interested in the items you're offering. :[

:( Tease! What might you be interested in?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Charron said:
I've got an extra Family Business. I could actually use a Holy Mackerel if you've got one, otherwise I'll trade it for a scrap.

explodet

What would be the best way to get myself a Grimm Hatte?
... besides ponying up the dough for it, of course.

I've almost got 4 refined and I've got a medic token on standby, but if I craft that I'm worried I'd end up with the $1 Pickelhaube.

Hop

The_Technomancer said:
I've got an extra Family Business. I could actually use a Holy Mackerel if you've got one, otherwise I'll trade it for a scrap.

No fish, I'm afraid. :( But I've got scrap, so I'll give you a buzz when I'm home.

Charron said:

I've got an eviction notice you might want. 1 scrap. check my earlier post

I have a DiRT 3 code for a hat of some kind. Don't have that many and I want to join in the Hat Fortress festivities.

Preferably a Team Captain because it's an M. Bison hat and that's pretty cool.

Bakphoon

Rickenslacker said:
I have a DiRT 3 code for a hat of some kind. Don't have that many and I want to join in the Hat Fortress festivities.

Preferably a Team Captain because it's an M. Bison hat and that's pretty cool.

Would be a Bonk Boy for Scout be also ok?

Uriah

UnluckyKate said:
I'm looking for Bazaar Bargain, Persian Persuader and Demo's new boots. Can trade for scraps.

I have an extra Bazaar Bargain for trade. Steam ID is Treecubed.

Zomba13

http://tf2b.com/?id=76561197984114562

Any weapons on LAST page of my back pack = 1 scrap or 2 random weps.
Crates = paint or scrap (for like, a bunch of crates).
Any paint for a Gold paint.

Add me on steam or PM me here.

Also have some steam games I'm willing to trade for hats/buds.
EHzZk.png

(L4D1 and Portal 1 are gone)

TGMIII

Trading:
2x strange sandman / 2 scrap each or offer
1x strange pistol / Strange scattergun
1x strange ambassador / 2 scrap or offer
1x Musklemanbraun / offers
2x A color similar to slate / offers
1x A color of a gentlemanns business pants / offers
1x Drably olive / offers
1x Unusual soldier's stash /w sunbeam / offers

Feel free to add me on steam: V_deck

awwyeahgurrl said:
I'm being offered 200$ right now for it. I honestly have NO IDEA what it's worth.
$200 in real money. This world is fucking insane. But good luck to you, man. It sounds like you'll get paid well. $200 is more than the monthly insurance on our Rolls. lol

Zomba13 said:
http://tf2b.com/?id=76561197984114562

Any weapons on LAST page of my back pack = 1 scrap or 2 random weps.
Crates = paint or scrap (for like, a bunch of crates).
Any paint for a Gold paint.

Add me on steam or PM me here.

Also have some steam games I'm willing to trade for hats/buds.
http://i.imgur.com/EHzZk.png[IMG]
(L4D1 and Portal 1 are gone)[/QUOTE]
Awesome trading with you bro. Got 2 paints for an amazing price! [B]Highly Recommended![/B]

I have the new soldiers helm for 4 refined for trad...pretty much if you want it you can pay me the 4 refined and that way you dont have to craft one of the new weps :/ PM me on here...

I'm trading away my crappy Strange weapons!

Strange Ambassador, Eyelander, and Chargin' Targe. Best offer gets it. Priority to people who can give me the most weapons (sans sniper weapons since I don't use him) I don't already have in my Backpack (starting on the second page). Metal could be good too I suppose, but I know they're not worth that much metal (unless you feel like being really generous).

A single Strange Minigun would steal the pot. A single Strange Shotgun probably would as well.

Best combined offer of weapons/metal wins. I just want to get rid of these things.

TGMIII

Dreams-Visions said:
$200 in real money. This world is fucking insane. But good luck to you, man. It sounds like you'll get paid well. $200 is more than the monthly insurance on our Rolls. lol

You don't even know the half of it, I've seen hats go for 700USD. Honestly I was happy trying to trade for some other Unusual hat and maybe a Max's head but if people are going to give me real money I'll take it.

awwyeahgurrl said:
You don't even know the half of it, I've seen hats go for 700USD. Honestly I was happy trying to trade for some other Unusual hat and maybe a Max's head but if people are going to give me real money I'll take it.
hell yea!

it's the only sensibile course of action, really. one day TF2 will die down and economy will shrivel like the Roman Empire. It will be filled with people who waited too long to cash out and will have lost out on an opportunity to cash in for something that they can buy in the real world.

If I were to happen upon an Unusual, I'd enjoy it for about a month, then sell that bitch to the highest bidder. You could buy some really nice things with that money.

I don't have any unusuals, but I've been curious about this. What's the safe way to go about selling one for cash? What third-party do you use to verify the transaction? E-Bay? Paypal? Witnesses on a trade server?

TGMIII

There's rep systems in place to show who's been trustworthy but you can go through a trusted middleman too. The money gets transferred over something like paypal and the transaction is marked as "car payment" or something along those lines. It's crazy the money people are willing to drop on cosmetic changes in a game but I think most people take the stuff they buy and try to sell it on for more or trade it for a whole bunch of stuff and then try to sell that on.

divisionbyzorro said:
I don't have any unusuals, but I've been curious about this. What's the safe way to go about selling one for cash? What third-party do you use to verify the transaction? E-Bay? Paypal? Witnesses on a trade server?
By using a community-verified, community-trusted "Middle man" who holds that hat until payment has been verified, then passes it along to the proper recipient.

Zomba13

Got a Purple Fetti Pyromancer Mask (painted purple).
WANT: Buds (maybe. 1 or 2. Dunno how much iot's worth) Soldier Medal (again, dunno worth. maybe want this) Medic unusual, Dapper Topper unusual, or just offers.

WARNING: This is 'dirty'. It has gifted text BUT it's gifted from 'Entire Team' so it's kinda good as far as that stuff goes. Much better than stuff like 'xX1337HaX0R22331Xx'.

Hop

Zomba13 said:
Got a Purple Fetti Pyromancer Mask (painted purple).
WANT: Buds (maybe. 1 or 2. Dunno how much iot's worth) Soldier Medal (again, dunno worth. maybe want this) Medic unusual, Dapper Topper unusual, or just offers.

WARNING: This is 'dirty'. It has gifted text BUT it's gifted from 'Entire Team' so it's kinda good as far as that stuff goes. Much better than stuff like 'xX1337HaX0R22331Xx'.

Can't you clear off trade source info? I know you can clear craft info.

And while I lack in unusuals, does my second page offer anything of interest?

Zomba13

Charron said:
Can't you clear off trade source info? I know you can clear craft info.

And while I lack in unusuals, does my second page offer anything of interest?
Nah, can't clean off gifted text sadly :(.

Nothing really there. Apart from the Max head but The fetti hat isn't worth as much as the Max head so it'd be a bad trade for you.

Dreams-Visions said:
I just sold an Engy hat with green flames for $140USD. Likely could have gotten more, but yeah, people are wiling to spend serious dough on this shit. Makes me even more excited for the Diablo 3 auction house.

Hop

Zomba13 said:
Nah, can't clean off gifted text sadly :(.

Nothing really there. Apart from the Max head but The fetti hat isn't worth as much as the Max head so it'd be a bad trade for you.

Yea, and I'm not about to trade it away. No combination of regular hats/Soldier medal? I know fettis aren't very valuable unusuals but for some reason I want that one.

Top Bottom