• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Iron Fist |OT| Hi-yahh - March 17th on Netflix

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Man those reviews are savage. Actually wakes up some morbid curiosity. Get your popcorn ready for next week

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yeah, that EW review is the best thing I've read so far this morning. Hilarious. This show must be absolutely terrible.

They all had me cracking up. You know something is up when several reviews mention being exhausted by Episode 2. Or that they wish anyone else was the main character.

Ithil

It was inevitable that they had a dud at one point. Certainly, Luke Cage and JJ had their major issues, but they were still filled with high quality stuff. This seems like an out and out misstep.

Shame it had to happen to a cool character.

LakeEarth

All other issues aside, I still can't believe that the fight choreography is supposedly so terrible. Iron Fist is hand-to-hand karate guy, how can you skimp out on the fighting scenes? Especially when Daredevil has had multiple insane fight sequences in its two seasons.

Ithil

That actress, Coleen Wing, has some bad luck. Joins Game of Thrones, the biggest show on TV, a surefire win, and winds up in the lamest plotline of the entire show, and worse, as the most forgettable and least focused on character of said plotline.

Now she joins the Marvel TV shows, which have been hits so far, and winds up on the one that appears to be an out and out dud.

At least she was in Star Wars for like, forty five seconds.

That actress, Coleen Wing, has some bad luck. Joins Game of Thrones, the biggest show on TV, a surefire win, and winds up in the lamest plotline of the entire show, and worse, as the most forgettable and least focused on character of said plotline.

Now she joins the Marvel TV shows, which have been hits so far, and winds up on the one that appears to be an out and out dud.

At least she was in Star Wars for like, forty five seconds.
She suffers the same fate as every GoT actor. Only able to appear in mediocre stuff.

brawly

Never liked the casting. If you get cast as a superhero, work out. Like, a lot.

Even Cumberbatch got into better shape ffs.

jackdoe

I cannot believe that they played the concept straight. It was an awful idea. The showrunners pussyfooting around the mystical powers AND costume are equally bad.

Sad to see this reviewing not so well, but I'll give it a try since I liked all the other shows (Luke Cage was kinda slow at first though)

Krowley

Maybe this will pivot after the first six episodes? Like Luke Cage in reverse.

Feel like I have to watch it regardless. I'm invested in these Marvel Netflix shows now. Gotta take the good with the bad.

Hopefully Defenders and Punisher will be good.

Like all Marvel-Netflix shows, Iron Fist wants to be an adult-skewing neo-pulp urban crime serial, so it downplays the supernatural aspects as if terrified of them.
Anyone wanting Fists of Fury in the City should table the expectation, and modern comics fanboys should abandon all hope of anything resembling the celebrated, stylish run of the comics treatment by Ed Brubaker, Matt Fraction and David Aja that leaned hard into the fantastical.
This show sounds like a disaster

liquidtmd

Banned
Marvel: We need a showrunner for Iron Fist.

Scott Buck:
VHEKuGn.gif

We need an acotr

Finn Jones:
7kcUDjh.gif

The moment Marvel and Netflix realise they are in deep shit in regards to getting the wrong man but need to wing it as the reviews keep coming

8buyCB.gif

Marvel must know it's a shit show. Every other show up until now has been advertised heavily. I've barely seen anything on this and most of what I have seen is focused on Colleen Wing. For the love of Dormammu, replace Buck on the Inhumans while it's early.

PixelatedBookake

Maybe they should have took the plotline from DDS2 and reinterpreted that for Iron Fist. Replace the Punisher with another character and have Danny fight ninja assassins instead. Daredevil and the Hand/Electra storyline are staples to his character, but people had issues with how it was handled on the Netflix show. Perhaps with Iron Fist it might have fit the tone of the series better.

SArcher

Banned
Despite the bad reviews this show still feels like it's totally my bag. I've also enjoyed the previous Marvel Netflix shows more than most...maybe I'm easy to please (then again I haven't liked any of the Marvel/DC shows that are on network TV).

TheOddOne

- Metro: Finn Jones hits back at the critical mauling of Marvel’s Iron Fist.
When asked about the early reviews by Metro.co.uk, Jones said: ‘Well I think there’s multiple factors. What I will say is these shows are not made for critics, they are first and foremost made for the fans.

‘I also think some of the reviews we saw were seeing the show through a very specific lens, and I think when the fans of the Marvel Netflix world and fans of the comic books view the show through the lens of just wanting to enjoy a superhero show, then they will really enjoy what they see.

‘I think it’s a fantastic show which is really fun and I think it stands up there with the other Defenders’ shows without a doubt,’ he added.
full

Garlador

Maybe they should have took the plotline from DDS2 and reinterpreted that for Iron Fist. Replace the Punisher with another character and have Danny fight ninja assassins instead. Daredevil and the Hand/Electra storyline are staples to his character, but people had issues with how it was handled on the Netflix show. Perhaps with Iron Fist it might have fit the tone of the series better.

Honestly, I was thinking that all throughout DDS2.

I thought "Okay, they can make Iron Fist work. Just do this, but with Danny Rand."

Great fight choreography, ninjas crawling out of the woodwork, tons of set-up... You have to actively work to screw it up.

Marvel's success has largely been about EMBRACING the core parts of any character they adapt. Knowing WHY people like them and then giving people exactly what they want with a sprinkle of newness. Nobody wants to watch a Captain America film where Cap acts like Tony Stark; that's what makes them who they are. If Black Panther suddenly started quipping like Spider-man, you'd lose the regal authority that defines him. If Jessica Jones was as carefree and lighthearted as Ant-Man, it would be tone-deaf.

Iron Fist is a mystical martial artists trained by ancient ninja monks who bathed his fists in the blood of a fire dragon and then came back to America with supernatural skills, skills chiefly used to fight armies of ninjas and supervillains, all while understanding he's a small part of something much larger and greater than himself.

Daredevil is a better Iron Fist than Iron Fist is in his own show.

I don't know if it was time, or budget, or the writers, or the directors, or what... but being almost ashamed of its source material is the death knell for any comic adaptation. We like them for the quirky and unusual and fantastical elements that drew us in initially. If those elements aren't there in the adaptation, nothing else will matter.

Wow I just cannot believe what I'm reading from the reviews.

I thought from the trailers released that I was shown some promise.

I kind of figured there would at least be one dud among the MCU lineup worse than Thor: TDW (which I found in my opinion to be average at best and mediocre at worst). I would have imagined something from an ABC show, but not from the Netflix lineup, which I generally enjoyed so far (I barely started Luke Cage).

I honestly haven't been much paying attention regarding the show, but when I guys mentioned the showrunner, I look him up and holy crap! This guy has a poor track record! And this is the guy that will also run the Inhumans series? Oh boy!

What were Ike Perlmutter and Jeph Loeb thinking? I'm thankful that the former no longer has a hand in the films, but the fact that he was still left in charge of Marvel TV made me pretty skeptical.

At least with this getting negative reception, it will end the whole conspiracy theories of critics having an MCU bias.

Oh who am I kidding?! They will still surface! Lol

I'll still at give the show a watch, so I don't miss out on any important plot points that might be brought up or impact the Defenders mini-series. Though again, gotta finish Luke Cage first.

Honestly, I was thinking that all throughout DDS2.

I thought "Okay, they can make Iron Fist work. Just do this, but with Danny Rand."

Great fight choreography, ninjas crawling out of the woodwork, tons of set-up... You have to actively work to screw it up.

Marvel's success has largely been about EMBRACING the core parts of any character they adapt. Knowing WHY people like them and then giving people exactly what they want with a sprinkle of newness. Nobody wants to watch a Captain America film where Cap acts like Tony Stark; that's what makes them who they are. If Black Panther suddenly started quipping like Spider-man, you'd lose the regal authority that defines him. If Jessica Jones was as carefree and lighthearted as Ant-Man, it would be tone-deaf.

Iron Fist is a mystical martial artists trained by ancient ninja monks who bathed his fists in the blood of a fire dragon and then came back to America with supernatural skills, skills chiefly used to fight armies of ninjas and supervillains, all while understanding he's a small part of something much larger and greater than himself.

Daredevil is a better Iron Fist than Iron Fist is in his own show.

I don't know if it was time, or budget, or the writers, or the directors, or what... but being almost ashamed of its source material is the death knell for any comic adaptation. We like them for the quirky and unusual and fantastical elements that drew us in initially. If those elements aren't there in the adaptation, nothing else will matter.
Even if all of that were in the show there's still the issue of how they're gonna write Danny and the fact that he's a white dude appropriating kung fu.

Garlador

Even if all of that were in the show there's still the issue of how they're gonna write Danny and the fact that he's a white dude appropriating kung fu.
iron-fist.png

True, but to me THAT CAN BE THE ANGLE TO TACKLE. Head-on.

Jessica Jones comments on rape survival and gender bias. Luke Cage tackles racism and what it means to be a black man in modern society.

Danny Rand's a living contradiction of grossly dated concepts and white savior mindsets. Playing it straight is a terrible, horrible idea, but a talented writer can turn a mirror on it and explore what that means, why it matters, and how to tackle these preconceived notions and conceptions at their very root. People SHOULD call him out on his behavior and any belief that he's "better" at a people's culture than they are. That's why a scene of him telling a martial arts master in her own dojo she's helpless without his protection is so galling.

I remember Iron Fist being an entry-point for a lot of things unfamiliar to me growing up. Asian culture. Martial arts. I remember at one point being even shocked at his relationship with Misty Knight; that was at one point ground-breaking.

There are ways to make it work. Ways to have him exist as both a character who "appropriates" a culture and an analytical look at what that means as more than just a "isn't this unique?" comic book hook.

... Or they could have just cast an Asian guy and endured the obvious "all Asians know kung-fu" complaints. People will whine regardless, but I think this would have been the least of their concerns.

The show still apparently would suck with an Asian guy in the lead, but it would be quite a bit less racially insensitive and tone-deaf.

Blader

The good old "this wasn't made for critics!" excuse.
Yep, that's when you know it's fucked. And not even a "well they only saw the first half, the show really takes off in the second half" defense, which says to me that the show is not going to change at all between the episodes reviewed and the ones held back.

Top Bottom