• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One DVR records gameplay every time an achievement is unlocked

Jamie OD

It'll be pretty cool for achievements that require you to do something that looks cool. Be pretty boring for story related ones though - you'd just have a clip of you standing still for 5 seconds whilst a cheev pops up

Might be handy to show off the joke achievements like "The Part Where He Kills You" from Portal 2. Could also have some fun with spoiling stuff if you like to troll.

*complete first level*

ACHIEVEMENT!

*DVR Saves some useless shit*

I guess it could be neat for more difficult achievements.

EDIT: Devs will have to think of much better achievements, because thinking about all the stuff we have now.. it's all... boring stuff usually. Or things like beating a campaign, or killing a boss, and even the stuff for Battlefield or COD are typically boring since so many people do it.

Slair

It's a pity that most achievements are pointless as shit. I cant imagine the 100th collectable found will be a moment to remember or that it'll be much more exciting than another persons 100th collectable.

Even though i'm pretty indifferent to achievements/trophies, this will hopefully have a knock on effect of making devs put a little more imagination and skill into obtaining them.

KillGore

Seems rather silly. The console already records the last five minutes, so you could always just save those last five minutes. Not every achievement is amazing to get so it seems like I'll be wasting more time deleting useless achievement videos than going to the upload studio and save. Hopefully it's a feature you can turn off.

Binabik15

Dead or Alive: Beach Volelyball X-2 Achievement unlocked: "Buy All Swimsuits"

Warning: Reaction cam video is NSFW!

PS:

Obligatory

Xbawks2.png

KHlover

Banned
Reaction cam? Ugh, I don't think I want to know how people look like when they unlock Dead or Alive achievements.

"Tap the screen x times in Touch Mode"

GROSS.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Didn't think this was new news, pretty sure they told us a couple months ago that the X1 would do this. Neat I guess, I would personally turn it off though.

Donos

Sorry but i don't really understand what they mean with the first part.

Xb1 records the last 5 minutes anyway, so does it mean the Xb1 just saves a 5 min vid on the hdd when an achievement is unlocked? Because how should the XB1 know when one achievment is going to be unlocked? I can have 99 of 100 cyrstals i need for the "Meth Cooker" achievement but the XB1 can't predict when i'm going to collect the 100th. ?

The reaction "mug shot" was a nice feature in Burnout Paradise but i don't know if people really react that much when an achievement/trophy gets unlocked. There are maybe some exceptions (like the "beat Zico" trophy in Wipeout HD)

ShapeGSX

Sorry but i don't really understand what they mean with the first part.

Xb1 records the last 5 minutes anyway, so does it mean the Xb1 just saves a 5 min vid on the hdd when an achievement is unlocked? Because how should the XB1 know when one achievment is going to be unlocked? I can have 99 of 100 cyrstals i need for the "Meth Cooker" achievement but the XB1 can't predict when i'm going to collect the 100th. ?

It's always recording gameplay. So once you have unlocked the achievement, it will just snip out the five minutes leading up to unlocking the achievement and put it in its own video file.

Raydeen

Well TBH most gamers' expressions on earning an achievement/trophy is normal, only their eyes move to the part of the screen where achievement/trophy is displayed.

Even after I get a platinum, my reaction stays pretty normal.

And what about the weirdest reaction captures of all? Someone scratching their jewels and *click*record*

Hmm depends on if your actually GOING for a specific achievement. I know in TF2 in Steam you can set three specific achievements at a time that are listed on the screen as you play.... and yes I have fist pumped before when I've got a inredibly tricky one such as...

Kill 100 heavies in 30 mins while killing 5 cloaked spies....wearing vintage hats....while taunting....as you build 20 senteries..... (ok I made that one up but you get the idea....).

Duster

I wonder what the video of my me unlocking my first achievement in GTA4 would have been like. Bored, bored, bored, oh FFS an achievement already! I haven't done anything!

Hmm depends on if your actually GOING for a specific achievement. I know in TF2 in Steam you can set three specific achievements at a time that are listed on the screen as you play.... and yes I have fist pumped before when I've got a inredibly tricky one such as...

Kill 100 heavies in 30 mins while killing 5 cloaked spies....wearing vintage hats....while taunting....as you build 20 senteries..... (ok I made that one up but you get the idea....).

Oh man, being able to "pin" achievements to the screen is so good. I haven't played in 2 years, but I STILL have over 80% (81%) of my achievements in that game unlocked. I was over 90% by the time I stopped playing.

"Personal Achievements Earned: 365 of 448"

EDIT: I forgot how much 2 Fort stacked my stats for my Engineer... it bumped off my more impressive stats. =[

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
This actually sounds nice. Even my more casual gaming friends still like to tell me of their times at making crazy last shots to kill enemies to desperately earn achievements, or to go over a history of some of the moments involved with earning them.

I generally give a "Woot!" when I earn an achievement that was actually a worthy accomplishment. Such as getting through a no-miss clear on a shooter stage, or beating a fighting game on harder difficulties with no continues. On the "Trophy" side, I felt great when I Platinum'd Gravity Rush + all it's DLCs.

Recording those moments, so you can look back on them, sounds nice. BUT....

...why is anyone complaining about the space it'll take up, or how no one wants to see these images? You can be VERY sure the games will have to ask your permission before uploading anything to a server. It's not like it'll just clog up your game page on the XB1 with the 1000s of achievement videos you earn over the system lifetime... you'll be able to view the content later, and decide if there's a reason for you to upload any of that for sharing yourself.

The fact it's separate from the last 5 min is a good thing, too. If I play a game for 3 hours, and I actually made 1 or 2 worthwhile accomplishments, being able to look at them all, and see if there's any I find memorable, is great.

Did anyone here play Phantasy Star Online? My friend and I used to laugh at the fact that the ending pictures (featuring your characters) were actual in-action screenshots of our gameplay whenever we beat the game. I can imagine XB1 using Game DVR to actually DO this, allowing it to play back your greatest gameplay moments during credits. (Some fighters already did this with death blows in past-gen fighters.)

I could see myself getting some fun out of this over the years...

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Good idea. I'm curious to hear about the specifics, like how long before/after it includes with the recording.

it’s possible for developers to use the Kinect camera to record a live reaction feed of the player at the time of an achievement unlock

Hmm, if devs have to build it into their games on their own, maybe we won't see it as much?

Assuming it's done well, a convenient "upload to Youtube/Facebook/whatever" would be a good way to get lots of videos promoting the games out there...

UNCMark

Banned
It's cool I guess, but it's not news. They announced this back at E3.

Actually, I was wrong. It was announced at the console reveal in May:

As announced on stage today, the Xbox One's "Game DVR" allows you to capture gameplay and share those videos over Xbox Live and elsewhere. There's also a video editor so you can adjust and clip your recordings. Additionally, as part of a revamped achievement system, clips of the moments before you unlock an award will be automatically recorded

It won't be automatic for every Achievement. It's a feature that Developers can unlock for achievements, OR, for instance, have hidden in the game for doing something cool or discovering something hidden. Basically we allow developers access to GameDVR and they can put conditions on an automatic recording.

But not every Achievement will automatically be recorded.

terrisus

It won't be automatic for every Achievement. It's a feature that Developers can unlock for achievements, OR, for instance, have hidden in the game for doing something cool or discovering something hidden. Basically we allow developers access to GameDVR and they can put conditions on an automatic recording.

So, any way for the user to disable the Kinect from randomly recording video of themselves as well?

This feature is pretty dang cool.

Not sure why there are so many negative reactions to this lol...

I predict this will not be a feature on any of the launch titles. This sounds optional, and I doubt many devs are going to spend the time to do this, especially at launch. Plus, WTF, who wants to watch someones reaction to unlocking an achievement? What type of reactions are there to record? Do people really jump, dance, sing, spin, and go crazy for achievements? I do not think I have ever even smiled when I unlocked a trophy/achievement.

It isn't just for achievements, they can setup to record any moment dynamically.
I can think of a few occasions when I would have liked to see my reaction to something.
But mostly I would have liked to see the gameplay.

Ploid 3.0

Yeah.

It sounds like for convenience it'll save x number of seconds of footage around an achievement from the buffer it's constantly recording anyway.

And if it saves it wouldn't that eat up your hdd space when you don't really want to save all those vids. I'm sure you can turn it off but why leave it on?

So if developers have access to the GameDVR to extend the recording time to over 5 minutes, does that mean it is possible to one day allow XBox One owners to manually record over 5 minutes too?

FINALBOSS

Banned
I think I speak for everyone when I say that they'd rather have GameDVR youtube uploading at launch instead of recording achievements.

Hubble

Pretty cool, and this way you can share your achievement right away once you unlock it if you wished to your profile/friends list/facebook, etc

Top Bottom