• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Duke Energy has "crew status: enroute" for me on the outage map. I have no idea how long it has been like that, but it's a small glimmer of hope for me to hold on to.

The family is driving back down from north Georgia now, with a stay over in Gainesville. Should be back in Miami tomorrow night. Thankfully, my school just confirmed they're closed all week, so I don't have to worry about immediately going back to work (especially since I've just caught a cold from someone in my family).

I'm crossing my fingers that my house will have power by the time I get back.

Dragoshi1

No power until sunday apparently, thats a whole WEEK. I cannot stand this heat, and theres no wind to push it into the house.

witness

Dukes website still says assessing damage, this fucking sucks. My only hope is that it says for other transformers near us that they are enroute, so maybe they are hitting up the area? I live near Maitland and Altamonte in Orlando. Probably not though, gonna be fucked on this until Sunday I just know it. We are spending our 2nd night in a row in a hotel. Cant keep doing this after tonight though. Office still doesn't have power and new school has been cancelled all week in Orange County for my son. I just want to sleep in my own damn bed in the AC again...

Redmoon

Power still out here but I've come to learn the 10 minutes we had power during the storm was fpl fixing the line only for it to not actually work due to the tree entangled in that part of the wire/pole broke the transformer connection again. Ironically they neighbor had been calling for awhile now pre storm to have it cut back by fpl but they never did. So we may as well have never lost power at all if that tree was trimmed.

III-V

power is back in Boca.

5 full days without A/C fam. Shit feels luxurious right now.

I can only imagine. The feel. Good to hear your power is back on.

I had not lost power in Tampa, but my sister from St. Pete is still out. She and her 6 yo and her to twin infant boys and her dog are staying with me, my wife, my 2 dogs, my 3 yo son lol.

full house episodes erry day

but, but, all that fizzle and overhype

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Duke Energy has "crew status: enroute" for me on the outage map. I have no idea how long it has been like that, but it's a small glimmer of hope for me to hold on to.
My area doesn't even show up on their map even though they say they know of it via a call I made.

This goddamn heat is killing me.

3rdman

I have truly been one of the very lucky...had power throughout the storm and never lost it. The worst part has been no internet...that's it...very lucky!

Clay Electric here in Gainesville has only restored 60% of costumers. It wasn't even a hurricane when it passed through here.

Fuck Clay Electric.

Kusagari

It's amazing how disrupted things are in South Florida for a storm that we lucked out on.

Really paints the picture for how fucked we all are if we do get a direct hit.

geomon

The family is driving back down from north Georgia now, with a stay over in Gainesville. Should be back in Miami tomorrow night. Thankfully, my school just confirmed they're closed all week, so I don't have to worry about immediately going back to work (especially since I've just caught a cold from someone in my family).

I'm crossing my fingers that my house will have power by the time I get back.
https://www.fpl.com/my-account/web-outage.html#wors/mainTab/phoneTab

Put in your account phone number and zipcode and they will tell you if it's on or they're working on it or whatever. That's how I found out my power was back on.

It's amazing how disrupted things are in South Florida for a storm that we lucked out on.

Really paints the picture for how fucked we all are if we do get a direct hit.

Yeah my Internet has been down all day (Comcast) Even though it was working fine the past 2 days. Really worries me for when something actually happens.

Duke Energy is my electric company. I'm so glad the power held out so that I don't need to deal with this.

Also read that (allegedly) Duke Energy isn't paying overtime so it's taking especially long for areas they cover to get power back. If that's true that's atrociously shitty.

Jag

I survived Irma. Was out of power for about 75 hours and it just came back on. Feel like a new person now.

Congrats. You are a Floridian now. We got lucky with power coming back quick, but not enough for all the freezer and fridge shit we had to toss. Going to take awhile to clean up from this shit.

Dinokill

Why the death toll from hurricanes in the USA is always higher than the other countries with less resources and infrastructure? I mean, Cuba got hit by Irma at her peak and the death toll was 10 and here in the USA is almost 40.

Razorback

Why the death toll from hurricanes in the USA is always higher than the other countries with less resources and infrastructure? I mean, Cuba got hit by Irma at her peak and the death toll was 10 and here in the USA is almost 40.

Much larger population?

Jag

Couple of reasons probably. Most likely population density. Southeast US has 87 million people. All of Cuba is 11 million. Also the storm swiped the lower populated northern mountains of Cuba, as these storms usually do.

The area that got the direct hit when it was a 5 was the unpopulated Cuban Keys. The mainland area that did get hit was when it leaked to a lower 4/high 3, and is not terribly populated, either. The northern coastline of Cuba is not very populated as it is.

Also I was reading he government takes hurricanes extremely seriously, and utilizes a very strong civil response for hurricane situations such as very mandatory evacuations which are probably 'more mandatory' than those we have in the states.

Kusagari

Most of the deaths in the states are only arbitrarily related to Irma. You've got eight elderly people dying from heat exhaustion because they're left in a nursing home with no AC. You've got fools dying from trees falling on their car because they're for some reason driving during the storm. And a family died from carbon monoxide poisoning from a generator.

gdt

Ummm....

Population difference?

Sorry dude I just had a little chuckle, I admit

Mindlog

I want to spread this story far and wide. A Trucker got fired because he gave out Plywood he was hauling as the Home Depot closed down when he arrived. He saw people needing it so he gave it out and the truck company fired him for that.

http://www.wtsp.com/news/in-irmas-wake-a-good-deed-goes-punished/474568489

This happened in my town here.
I understand the company's perspective, but this was a singular situation. Hopefully it's rectified quickly because the desperation for wood was real and he absolutely did the right thing.

Dragoshi1

90 degrees in my home with no breeze coming in through all our open windows. The dogs started acting funny from the heat, so now we are all huddled in the car with the ac on.

And still no ETA on power besides apparently friday by midnight.

Still no power here near Downtown Fort Lauderdale... staying at home feels like a furnace, and my body already always runs hot.

On top of that my nasal allergies are making me achey and congested. I hate all of this after roughly 4 days without power.

FPL already powered up almost every other block around me, but the heat and dead air makes me want to crawl out of my skin.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Slept for 2 hours and woke up because of this fucking God damn humidity and heat. No breeze whatsoever.

Can't take this shit anymore, sitting in my car with the AC running. Gonna get it as cold as I can and just sleep in here.

Slept for 2 hours and woke up because of this fucking God damn humidity and heat. No breeze whatsoever.

Can't take this shit anymore, sitting in my car with the AC running. Gonna get it as cold as I can and just sleep in here.

Almost at that point. If they don't get my power back tomorrow I'm renting a hotel. This is fucking absurd.

Top Bottom