• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
This and Skullgirls in the same week... I'm going to need more funbux.

Some friends and I were discussing the title last night over drinks and some of them were on the fence. One thing we all agreed on was that all the videos we've seen showed a very beautiful, but very slow paced gameplay, and some of my friends were questioning whether the game would really go anywhere beyond that. I'm very curious myself.

Do you like Sudoku puzzles? Obviously it's not really the same thing, but Fez isn't an action game, it's a slow puzzle game where you have to work out how to get places rather than killing stuff and doing nailbiting platforming sections. If you don't like logic puzzles then you're unlikely to like FEZ. It's going to be very slow throughout, but that's the point. It's a thinker, not a doer.

This is what I've understood it to be, anyway. A logic puzzle game with awesome graphics, music, and mechanics.

Himself

Looking forward to the demo. I hope it plays well because the footage so far is pure zzzzzz.

If it ends up being good this is the official year of the downloadable game with Journey and Sine Mora already kicking ass.

SykoTech

Nintendo-Era = we're living in it
Oh snap, that means that the inspiration came from.. (!) :O

How amusing. I guess we know what Fez's quality level is going to be now!
trollface_.gif

corn_fest

I'm fascinated that this game has no combat. Pretty bold design decision, I was looking through my entire collection the other day and could identify maybe 9 out of hundreds of games without any combat at all. Interested to see how they pull it off.

as much as I like phil I like him as much as I don't... I like this game alot... plus been a fan of 6955 for a while so this feels long overdue

also props to Rich aka DisasterPeace

also also forgot Adam "Atomic" did the animation... wins

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
people calling this a Metroidvania are truly taking that descriptor's name in vein. Levels connected by doors in a hub world unlocked by certain numbers of keys/collectables doesn't make something a Metroid or a Castlevania, thats all about incrementally boosted ability traversal, something which Fez appears to offer nothing of.

Riposte

When I think Nintendo-era I don't think instant respawns/checkpoints upon death. That's more Call of Duty-era.

injurai

Banned
I'm fascinated that this game has no combat. Pretty bold design decision, I was looking through my entire collection the other day and could identify maybe 9 out of hundreds of games without any combat at all. Interested to see how they pull it off.

Probably one of my favorite things about what this game is turning out to be. I just hope it eventually comes to Steam, like how Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet will be.

people calling this a Metroidvania are truly taking that descriptor's name in vein. Levels connected by doors in a hub world unlocked by certain numbers of keys/collectables doesn't make something a Metroid or a Castlevania, thats all about incrementally boosted ability traversal, something which Fez appears to offer nothing of.

I am now officially confused. I like Metroid and Castlevania. Am I supposed to like this?

Haunted

Is the Metroidvania part of the genre description actually true and it's not a succession of levels? That's cool.

Game looks good, will play this on a saturday morning, complete with couch and TV
eventually

edit: just saw this post
:(

That's a bummer.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I am now officially confused. I like Metroid and Castlevania. Am I supposed to like this?

You may well enjoy it, but I wouldnt call Mario 64, Sunshine, or Galaxy a 'Metroidvania' in any respect. Its a complete misuse of the buzzword because people (rightfully) associate it with genius 2d level design that brings you back on yourself but to new areas keeping the game feeling like a journey of discovery.

Yknow, if little Gomez returns back to the first area of the game with a Hyper-Run ability smashing through previously indestructable walls, turns into a bat to gain access to higher levels and so forth, or equivalents of ability progression affecting world traversal: it can enjoy that descriptor. Until then it is an interconnected platformer with hubworld and collectables.

cold hard truth!

fuck this game.

Well said.

Disasterpeace said that they are planning to release a physical version of the soundtrack, along with a digital version.

Really excited to play FEZ; it has been a long wait.

JaseMath

THANK YOU.

You may well enjoy it, but I wouldnt call Mario 64, Sunshine, or Galaxy a 'Metroidvania' in any respect. Its a complete misuse of the buzzword because people (rightfully) associate it with genius 2d level design that brings you back on yourself but to new areas keeping the game feeling like a journey of discovery.

Yknow, if little Gomez returns back to the first area of the game with a Hyper-Run ability smashing through previously indestructable walls, turns into a bat to gain access to higher levels and so forth, or equivalents of ability progression affecting world traversal: it can enjoy that descriptor. Until then it is an interconnected platformer with hubworld and collectables.

Wait, it's 3D?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I guess the term "mystroidvania" is meant to denote a non-violent game set in a large, connected world, but as others have said, without the clever gating mechanics and incremental ability upgrades that are essential to the metroidvania genre it doesn't quite deserve the label.

mr2xxx

Banned
wtf07.jpg

I thought the game had a more 3d ish view like the above photo, is it primarily played like the photos in the OP..

Top Bottom