• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vg247-PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base, final version next summer

You'd have to think that a solid state drive would increase the price by a good bit. It'd be a pretty risky move by Sony considering next generation they would probably prefer to have more digital downloads that would require much larger hard drives unless they go the Nintendo route and let you run games off an external.
Put flash storage in each unit and let the user add a hdd

flattie

1080p/60fps is utterly meaning less because it's important to know what is being displayed at 1080p/60fps, Uncharted or Mahjong.

Your comment is utterly meaningless seeing as Mahjong could be done in 1080p already. Read between the lines and join the dots.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
PS3s have been manufactured in China for a long time. Only some of the launch batch were made in Japan. Don't think any of their manufacturing is in Japan now (?)

Wait, so that's what they meant. I thought they meant the PS4 wasn't designed and made in Japan, but would rather be designed by people from SCEA or SCEE. Well, back to expecting the worst then since I have no faith whatsoever in SCEJ.

Does this mean next gen starts when Sony says so?

idTDPBe28OlhP.gif

Next-gen starts in 29 days for me...

sTeLioSco

Banned
My "mid range" PC from 3 years ago plays Dishonored (a game that just came out) at 1080p 60FPS with 4xAA and 8x AF

(Phenom 2 3 core unlocked to 4 core, AMD HD5770 graphics card).

So I'd be content with a current mid-level PC as far as graphics capabilities are concerned.

seriously??

they mean "next gen games"

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Gemüsepizza;43853717 said:
That means no dedicated GPU? Otherwise an APU doesn't make sense, you don't need integrated graphics to "save power", modern GPUs don't need much power when they are not under load.

It's not so much about power saving as cost, manufacturability. Less motherboard complexity. Etc.

The A10-5800K has a HD 7660D graphics unit with 384 "Radeon Cores" and 800MHz clock speed. That's not very impressive. In the article they say something about a modified version, we will see how much better this will be.

Yes, it's a chip derived from the A10 base according to the article. Same architecture and 'glue' between components, but the configuration won't necessarily mirror the A10s in the PC space.

The 18 compute units of the prior rumour certainly sounds more reasonable. Hopefully!

NickMitch

Sound interesting indeed.

I wonder how much they will focus on fluidity and streamlining the experience instead of creating a hardcore mofo only console with dude-bro styling and such.

However I think they will have a slight difficult time creating something distinctive enough to draw attention from both Wii U and Nextbox.

And finally 1080p 60fps 3D will draw quite much powah from that machine

Pharros

Quite interesting. I'll remain hopeful that they do create a nice powerhouse, but at the moment I believe I'll go PC and Wii U. From a business perspective it will be interesting to see how their financials can hold up if they need to got for the big $599 again. Could be devastating after the Vita. Interesting times ahead that's for sure.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wait, so that's what they meant. I thought they meant the PS4 wasn't designed and made in Japan, but would rather be designed by people from SCEA or SCEE. Well, back to expecting the worst then since I have no faith whatsoever in SCEJ.

Oh wait, sorry. I think in the article they meant 'not being designed' in Japan. 'Not being manufactured' in Japan would hardly be noteworthy since things have been made in China for yonks.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That means no dedicated GPU? Otherwise an APU doesn't make sense, you don't need integrated graphics to "save power", modern GPUs don't need much power when they are not under load. The A10-5800K has a HD 7660D graphics unit with 384 "Radeon Cores" and 800MHz clock speed. Not very impressive. In the article they say something about a modified version, we will see how much better this will be.
It's likely going to have a downsized pictairn or something put into it. The APU base doesn't mean all that much, it's just how it'll be produced. An APU setup will save costs, lowers heat and allows the CPU and GPU to work together better. A10 is highly customizable so it could have a lot of variations of CPUs and GPUs in it. Still, the fact that the RAM number got jacked up that much from previous rumors gives me a lot of hope for other components. I haven't heard any rumors that say it's going to have a weak GPU like the 7660D.

Mrbob

I don't want to get down on this rumor, but this almost sounds like a fanboy dream.

256GB of storage screams SSD. 16gb of ram? 1080P60FPS in full 3D? I want to believe.

McHuj

You'd have to think that a solid state drive would increase the price by a good bit. It'd be a pretty risky move by Sony considering next generation they would probably prefer to have more digital downloads that would require much larger hard drives unless they go the Nintendo route and let you run games off an external.

Probably not. There have been sales on SSD's approaching 50 cents per GB. And that's at retail. By the time this ships next year (or 2014), SSD's should be in the ball park of 25 cents per GB at retail. Sony buying bulk at whole sale would probably get them at an even lower price.

I don't want to get down on this rumor, but this almost sounds like a fanboy dream.

256GB of storage screams SSD. 16gb of ram? 1080P60FPS in full 3D? I want to believe.

If devkits have double the ram then we'll see 4-8GB, which is still impressive.

I am still weirded out by the prospect of both Orbis/PS4 and Durango using x86 CPUs. One would hope it'll mean better PC ports, from a technical standpoint, due to more hardware similarities. Hope.

I think it will be great for the whole industry. No more wasting resources porting a game to a drastically different architecture. I have high hopes for this aspect of next gen.

AOC83

Banned
I'm out of this thread from the shear fact most of you guys believe PS3 is near WiiU level.

I know that sounds ridiculous since we haven´t seen any graphics on the WiiU that come close to Uncharted/God of War/ Killzone yet, but i´m sure it will only take a few years until Nintendo reaches that level. Stay positive mate!

Dragon

Banned
So in the end this will be like 2x better than Wii U im guessing. Wii U does 1080p and could do 3D if the technology wasn't so shitty and on the way out..

PS3 can do 3D so yeah of course Wii U could do 3D. Can it do it in 1080p with 60 fps? Extremely doubtful.

Stop making sense.

I'm out of this thread from the shear fact most of you guys believe PS3 is near WiiU level.

Peace out.

There's that common sense!

It's likely going to have a downsized pictairn or something put into it. The APU base doesn't mean all that much, it's just how it'll be produced. An APU setup will save costs, lowers heat and allows the CPU and GPU to work together better. A10 is highly customizable so it could have a lot of variations of CPUs and GPUs in it. Still, the fact that the RAM number got jacked up that much from previous rumors gives me a lot of hope for other components. I haven't heard any rumors that say it's going to have a weak GPU like the 7660D.

On top of that, in a customized version of the A10, Sony/AMD could remove the bits of silicon that are redundant between the CPU and GPU, along with tons of x86 stuff that is completely unnecessary for a gaming console. Freeing up silicon for other, more important things.

I'm confident we'll see Watchdogs in 1080p@60 on PS470.

It'll probably be 30, like most games. If we can get the Watch_Dogs footage we've seen in 1080p @ 30 fps fairly early in next-gen cycle I will be very happy because 1) The game looks incredible and is a true leap, and 2) With it releasing in the 1st year of next-gen it bodes very well for the years ahead.

Sipowicz

Banned
Just keep your PS3 if you want to play the games, what´s the problem?

keep your ps2 if you want to play ps2 games
keep your ps3 if you want to play ps3 games
keep your ps4 if you want to play ps4 games

buy a bigger cabinet
buy a bigger house

and if you dont want a bunch of fucking toys cluttering up your room?

rebuy your ps2 games at 720p
rebuy your ps3 games at 1080p
rebuy your ps2 games at 1080p

AOC83

Banned
It'll probably be 30, like most games. If we can get the Watch_Dogs footage we've seen in 1080p @ 30 fps fairly early in next-gen cycle I will be very happy because 1) The game looks incredible and is a true leap, and 2) With it releasing in the 1st year of next-gen it bodes very well for the years ahead.

I think this is a pretty realistic outlook, Watch Dogs as a first gen game would be more than fine.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

buy a bigger cabinet
buy a bigger house

That's the spirit!

And nobody uses 256 gigabytes for HDD, it's always 250GB. 256Gb=32GB on the other hand...

He said "standard size" though, which is confusing. 32GB is by no means standard.. I mean.. we have rumored 16g flash in these things for the OS, but 256 isn't standard either.

buy a bigger cabinet
buy a bigger house

Would you agree if you had the choice of 2 PS4 SKU?

Standard PS4 @ 400 USD. PS1 BC. PSMini BC. Maybe PS2 catalog on PSN BC.
Premium PS4 @ 500~550 USD. BC of the the whole PS Catalog on PSN (except for PSP/Vita)

AOC83

Banned

buy a bigger cabinet
buy a bigger house

Ps2 games cause eye cancer, i don´t play them anymore (except in HD).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

In the dev kit. Not the final system. It's almost always reduced drastically.

Is Sony just using an APU or will it be in conjunction with a GPU?
How many teraflops are we looking at?
Would like to know this as well.

From the given specs it sounds as though a lack of a dedicated GPU would be a waste, but adding a GPU alongside an SSD and a "considerable" amount of memory isn't exactly conducive to creating an affordable machine.

thuway

From the given specs it sounds as though a lack of a dedicated GPU would be a waste, but adding a GPU alongside an SSD and a "considerable" amount of memory isn't exactly conducive to creating an affordable machine.

I know :(. This could be the difference between something 1 teraflop and something 3 teraflops.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

I don't see much point in going with an APU in the final machine if you're going to have a discrete GPU.

If the final target is an APU, an A10 in the current kit makes sense since it's the best APU available right now. A discrete GPU in the kit might make sense to better approximate performance of a final APU with greater GPU resources than an A10, but otherwise I wouldn't expect to be hearing about discrete GPUs.

thuway

I don't see much point in going with an APU in the final machine if you're going to have a discrete GPU.

If the final target is an APU, an A10 in the current kit makes sense since it's the best APU available right now. A discrete GPU in the kit might make sense to better approximate performance of a final APU with greater GPU resources than an A10, but otherwise I wouldn't expect to be hearing about discrete GPUs.
This will be a seriously weak system if that's the case.

Would you agree if you had the choice of 2 PS4 SKU?

Standard PS4 @ 400 USD. PS1 BC. PSMini BC. Maybe PS2 catalog on PSN BC.
Premium PS3 @ 500~550 USD. BC of the the whole PS Catalog on PSN (except for PSP/Vita)

Limited edition Ultra PS4 @ 600-700EUR with 2 HDMI ports, a year PS+, 256GB SSD, Linux and XBMC installed, card slots and a chrome touch like this

YHmfh.jpg

I'd get it.

Ps2 games cause eye cancer, i don´t play them anymore (except in HD).

Good for you. I have a massive PS2 library and used to play them on my 60 GB launch PS3 until it died on me.

And this is why a custom firmware is interesting. Forced backward compatibilty.

hodgy100

This means publishers can just use the PC/XBOX code with a simple UI change for emulating this gen muliplatform titles, which is probably a good thing. lol

unfortunately that will not be the case, they would have to at-least re-write the renderer and network code to use sony's libraries.

but yes it would be much easier than it would be to the ps3

Top Bottom