• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

Piers

But you are calling its success a fad. 3DS struggled pretty quickly after launch. That isn't a "fad". That example really doesn't work.

I'm not implying the 3DS was a fad. My point there is that the handheld space has gradually become dominated by smartphone gaming. I specifically cite the Switch as a fad because the launch buzz would encourage people to buy one. Good marketing generally encourages people to buy something who aren't already in a predisposition to.

Right now people enjoy the Switch as a Mario Kart/Tetris/Zelda machine but the system doesn't exist in its own self sustaining vacuum for software hype. It can't. When big third-party hitters come out, and now we have Scorpio/Pro for even fancier graphics, the Switch is going to have to really double down on handheld qualities imo, and with the highs that smartphone gaming is reaching right now I'm wondering how much marketshare it can grab from that before people start selling their Switch from lack of usage.

Why in the world is Kirby still not in this.

Yeah I've wanted this ever since Rosalina's reveal trailer for Smash :c I use the amiibo costume quite a lot, I really like Mega Man's too.

Mario-Kart-8-DLC-Novembre-7.jpg

jts

...hate me...
I'm not implying the 3DS was a fad. My point there is that the handheld space has gradually become dominated by smartphone gaming. I specifically cite the Switch as a fad because the launch buzz would encourage people to buy one. Good marketing generally encourages people to buy something who aren't already in a predisposition to.

Right now people enjoy the Switch as a Mario Kart/Tetris/Zelda machine but the system doesn't exist in its own self sustaining vacuum for software hype. It can't. When big third-party hitters come out, and now we have Scorpio/Pro for even fancier graphics, the Switch is going to have to really double down on handheld qualities imo, and with the highs that smartphone gaming is reaching right now I'm wondering how much marketshare it can grab from that before people start selling their Switch from lack of usage.
If these times are the smartphone gaming highs, I don't want to know what were the lows. I feel like I haven't spent money in a smartphone game since 2010, when the mere idea of playing a game on a phone was still fascinating.

Smartphone gaming is mostly trash, the console ports have very poor and/or limited controls, and to top it off they eat the limited battery from my otherwise very useful comunication and utility device.

Don't be afraid to aim a bit higher.

I think you're trying to make a point by examples drawn from opposite extremes. On one hand, you're saying smartphone gaming will hinder the Switch's commercial potential, then you bring about Red Dead Redemption that essentially falls on the other side of the gaming spectrum. There's a big chasm in between those. The industry and consumer interest isn't simply one or the other.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I really want Pac-man to make the trip to home console versions :(

TS-08

Wasn't sure where to put this, but I didn't think it was worthy of a new thread. Nintendo partnered with Target stores for a big MK8D marketing push! Jesus christ Nintendo... they aren't messing around!

https://twitter.com/VGArtAndTidbits/status/855433575516319750

That's pretty cool actually. Nintendo smells a hit with the Switch and they aren't messing around. Looking forward to seeing how hard they market ARMS and Splatoon 2.

I like your list, minus Sonic.

I wouldn't like for MK to turn into a third-party guest show like Smash Brothers.

I'm not, like, hell bent on it, but I think sonic would be the most sensible guest character but outside of Pac-Man considering the FASTness. Also it would give me the slimmest of hope for a Sonic R course (or maybe just a jazz remix of the Sonic R theme for the Sonic guest track).

Christ now I'm imagining a sax cover of the Sonic R theme and I need it to happen.

But yeah add Pac Man to the list since:

1) Already has a strong connection to (and appearance in) MK

2) Has been more formally brought into the crossover fold with Smash

Hope we get dlc for
Maple treeway
Toad mall
Mega man
Samus/zss
Captain falcon
Pit

I like the way you think

giapel

The 5-10 year old market(or their parents) is gone. Mobile/tablet gaming with the endless amount of free games takes care of that.
The non-gamer market that gave the Wii a go is also gone. They simply don't have the interest and mobile again provides that quick gaming fix.
Nintendo with the switch is going for their original market. Older kids that get enough pocket money, teens, and core gamers. Anything else will just be gravy.

I think you're trying to make a point by examples drawn from opposite extremes. On one hand, you're saying smartphone gaming will hinder the Switch's commercial potential, then you bring about Red Dead Redemption that essentially falls on the other side of the gaming spectrum. There's a big chasm in between those. The industry and consumer interest isn't simply one or the other.

This. People are grasping at straws looking for reasons why the Switch won't do well while ignoring that it's situated in a unique portion of the market, one that was not explored until it was released. Saying it will do bad because "Red Dead Redemption" or "mobile gaming" or calling it a fad is not really substantiating an analysis, but rather trying to build a narrative to support an opinion and what is at the very best an educated guess based on that opinion.

Not saying the Switch will be hugely successful either, but I think its early success makes it deserve a "wait and see" approach even for naysayers.

TS-08

That link to the Target web site talking about the promotion also says it's the first time Target has ever decorated their shopping carts (it also shows an inflatable Luigi head next to Mario!). They're really going all out for this.

Edit - it also plays music and has flashing lights when you walk into the store.

Muzicfreq

Banned
This. People are grasping at straws looking for reasons why the Switch won't do well while ignoring that it's situated in a unique portion of the market, one that was not explored until it was released. Saying it will do bad because "Red Dead Redemption" or "mobile gaming" or calling it a fad is not really substantiating an analysis, but rather trying to build a narrative to support an opinion and what is at the very best an educated guess based on that opinion.

Not saying the Switch will be hugely successful either, but I think its early success makes it deserve a "wait and see" approach even for naysayers.
Which is why I even said that we should have a better idea by sometime next year.

Jetku

The Target promo seems like a waste since Switch is pretty much out of stock for the next few months...

I'm sure Nintendo has stockpiled a moderate supply for the game. You don't release a tent pole game with no console supply. I'm sure it will be in the target ad with "quantities limited"

mazillion

The Target promo seems like a waste since Switch is pretty much out of stock for the next few months...

Surely Nintendo would have a big shipment of Switches ready for one of their flash-ship titles. That's what this marketing deal with Target is for, to make sure that they sell out again.

Muzicfreq

Banned
I'm sure Nintendo has stockpiled a moderate supply for the game. You don't release a tent pole game with no console supply. I'm sure it will be in the target ad with "quantities limited"
I dunno, they released a tarp with a couple of tiedowns but no poles

Kebiinu

Banned
The Switch always looked like a winner ever since it was first revealed, imo. The fact that Nintendo clearly seemed to have learned from their previous mistakes, makes me incredibly excited for the future of this console. That Target promo alone, shows that they're not messing around!

Now I just need to finish Zelda, lol.

Coffinhal

Instead of Having Mario kart 9 lets have Nintendo Kart, Tracks based from all over.
That's what the series is heading into anyway. Imagine having tracks, items and racers also based Metroid, Kid Icarus, star fox, xenoblade etc.
A Xenoblade track would be epic, you could potentially be riding on mythical creatures with a all changing environment depending on how they move.

No thanks, let's keep it for half of the DLCs.

Randomizer

Jealous of those getting to play this for the first time. Easily one the best Karting games of all time, especially now with the included battle mode. But I've have already played it to death and even with the added features I can't really justify getting it again atm.

That link to the Target web site talking about the promotion also says it's the first time Target has ever decorated their shopping carts (it also shows an inflatable Luigi head next to Mario!). They're really going all out for this.

Edit - it also plays music and has flashing lights when you walk into the store.
I don't believe they're inflatable heads; they appear to be covers for the red balls Target already has as decorations outside their stores. This all looks great though, and I'm glad Nintendo is marketing this for success.

Crazyorloco

So one of the things I liked about mario kart 8 was unlocking something after almost every race...will it be like that here?

Or is everything unlocked at the start?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
hey guys i was just wondering if it's possible to turn the rubber banding in this game off?

off? no. however MK8 was nowhere near as bad as MKWii. First through third still get decent powerups, blue shells can be avoided consistently with skill, and in general being in 1st or 2nd is nowhere near as punishing as MKWii was.

In general though, it's been pointed out numerous times that rubber banding will NEVER go away in Mario Kart. The entire franchise is built on high levels of interaction between all racers. Nintendo seemingly has little to no interest in allowing it to be played as a straight up arcade racer. More like a fighter/shooter played in karts while racing on a track.

Seriously. If they'd just bring back Wario Colliseum, Mushroom City, Waluigi Pinball, and Maple Treeway, we'd be good.

Probably for MK9. Waluigi Pinball and Maple Treeway were already in MK7 so they probably didn't want to repeat them again. They would have been amazing in MK8 visuals though, and I'd be interested in seeing how they work out ant-gravity in Pinball especially.

PS: Music Park is awesome.

spock

Man, havent really dug into a MK game heavily since MK64. Though did play the wii MK a little but it never really pulled me in hole hog. Have this on pre order at Amazon but wondering anyone know the chance of getting it early or stores willing break street date?

Music Park is pretty boring, but I'm about to commit blasphemy and say that Waluigi Pinball isn't that exciting either.

After seeing Wild Woods my desire for Maple Treeway HD intensified.

Maple Treeway love makes my heart sing

Just a reminder that this song with MK8's band would be a gift to humanity:

https://youtu.be/kQkVOiih3EA

TBH he only reason I like Waluigi Pinball is for the music, but that combined with the track is Very Good

Top Bottom