• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lawbreakers dropped to 10 users online.

Biscotti

Neo Member
cliffyb is a great visionaire, people are just afraid to admit it and have no idea what they are talking about. lawbreakers is a fantastic game that was marketed wrong.

He made a game in a market that was oversaturated. Lawbreakers anti gravity mechanic wasn't strong enough to carry it. He went up against Overwatch, Paladins and Quake Champions.

Edit: The game modes aren't the best.

Budi

What does it do better than other games on the market? From the chance I got to play it, the answer was basically nothing. The zero G thing is a neat gimmick but that can't carry a game.
I haven't played Titanfall, but I especially love the mobility, speed and aerial combat dances in Lawbreakers. Titanfall could offer something similar.
The character and style just look ugly to me, I find the game as unattractive as a middle aged man with 80s hair style.

retro-mullet.jpg

Just looking at the game make me feel....ugh.
Oh the shaming of men with long hair spreads from OT to here now! Disgraceful.

Edit: Others mentioned this already, but 1.4 seemed to really disappoint some of the fans.

blakep267

he made a dumb move. He made Gears of freakin War, most of his fans are still on Xbox, makes it PC/PS4 exclusive.
That's 1 thing I always wondered. No doubting the userbase is bigger for the PS4, but the Xbox base is the "shooter" box and there were no other games really releasing in the summer. It would've made sense for me to target the smaller but more barren and shooter friendly fan base and honestly skip the PC all together and just do console only

gogosox82

ao3hEcb.jpg

What happened? What was so bad about this game that everyone avoided it like the plague? Is it the price point? Was it the game?

I don't see how this game tanked so hard in a week where nothing big was releasing.

PUBG is dominating everything right now. It has nothing to do with the game as I think the game is good but its just that everyone is playing PUBG if your playing a shooter on pc right now. I think their numbers on console are much better though.

JDB

Banned
Quake Champions is doing fine.
d65570ec3185e3b8b68f022a04b437b5.png[img]

:thinking:

PUBG is dominating everything right now. It has nothing to do with the game as I think the game is good but its just that everyone is playing PUBG if your playing a shooter on pc right now. I think their numbers on console are much better though.
Last I saw the PS4 numbers were only slightly higher at launch. Can't imagine those numbers held up much better than PC's.

The game should've been F2P from the start.

When you ask for $30 for a MP shooters while there are Overwatch and PUBG out there, you're asking for your own demise. See how Paladins coexist with Overwatch and Fortnite with PUBG. A gimmick like the gravity stuff wouldn't single-handedly bring your game to success.

There's a lot of shooters that manage to get smallish, but very stable userbase, with 500-2000 peaks, which isn't huge, but not have problems with finding players online.

Quake Champions has been relatively stable lately: http://steamcharts.com/app/611500#3m

Mind it goes up and down with updates, but I like it as an example of a modest yet consistent player base on Steam.

Alright, glad to see it's not as terrible as I expected. That said, are all Quake Champions players visible on Steam?

Ya'll remember that lame "#SkilledAF" thing? Well the patch that slowed the game way down ended with them signing off saying "Players of all skill levels are welcome!"

Cracked me up.

Well that wasn't a particularly great marketing angle in the first place, but yeah, reversing at that point was clearly a bad idea.

RooMHM

cliffyb is a great visionaire, people are just afraid to admit it and have no idea what they are talking about. lawbreakers is a fantastic game that was marketed wrong.
Worst marketer of all time. And generally someone very very proud of himszlf andmostly irritating for his dudebro attitude.

Kayant

Rip when I had fun while it lasted and will continue to do so once in a while if I find games.
ao3hEcb.jpg

What happened? What was so bad about this game that everyone avoided it like the plague? Is it the price point? Was it the game?

I don't see how this game tanked so hard in a week where nothing big was releasing.
Of all the factors that contributed to the game's failure the game's "quality" isn't one to a large degree.
Quake Champions is doing fine.
Relative to LB yh in the grand scheme of things especially for given the IP not so much but we shall see how far it goes once it's f2p.
I haven't played Titanfall, but I especially love the mobility, speed and aerial combat dances in Lawbreakers. Titanfall could offer something similar.
Yep I have played TF and it's quite then in terms of overall movement for me but the big factor I don't like it is the Time to kill is too "COD" like.

Vipu

Banned
d65570ec3185e3b8b68f022a04b437b5.png[img]

:thinking:

Last I saw the PS4 numbers were only slightly higher at launch. Can't imagine those numbers held up much better than PC's.

That doesnt count people who use Bethesda launcher, most people use that so they dont have to pay to play.

Cmagus

I love the game personally, I think its a lot of fun and one of my favoritr shooters in awhile but it's slowly dying on PC. I really liked the changes in the last patch but most didn't and unfortunately many who have stuck with the game bailed and were pretty upset about the changes.

LawBreakers' performance is personally my saddest and depressing gaming event of the year.

I've played this game since the Closed Alpha, and watched it grow over time and make great strides to its gameplay, and it just...died. I don't regret buying the limited edition from LRG, but I am saddened by the reception that LawBreakers has received.

It seems the only, and I mean THE ONLY way for other arena shooters to be able to coexist with Overwatch is for them to be free to play, and that makes me sad.

CGwizz

Cliff B a visionary ? Lmao

Not even free to play saves this billion dolar franchise AKA the dark souls of online shooters.

Dont think this studio will survive, i hope the people who work there will get jobs fast , dont feel sorry for cliff, dude acted like a massive douchebag at the gaming conferences etc

Duxxy3

Feel bad for Cliffy and the team. The game just feels so unneeded. PUBG is the new hotness. Overwatch has a huge community. CSGO has a huge community. Even the F2P shooter market is fairly well flooded.

People will make room for the next COD and the next Dice game, but that's about it. Strangely enough, a single player first person shooter would have done FAR better than Lawbreakers has. Of course what I'd really love to see is Cliffy and Bosskey work on a new Gears title (I know, shocker there).

Ya'll remember that lame "#SkilledAF" thing? Well the patch that slowed the game way down ended with them signing off saying "Players of all skill levels are welcome!"

Cracked me up.

Yeah, they used "AF" so much in the marketing that it became their slogan. If you even looked at Cliffy B's Twitter during the past year he used the term "AF" so much. It really came across as "how do you do, fellow kids?".

Here's some examples:

https://twitter.com/search?l=&q=af "af" from:therealcliffyb&src=typd&lang=en-gb

Rco6ZVC.png

Feel bad for Cliffy and the team. The game just feels so unneeded. PUBG is the new hotness. Overwatch has a huge community. CSGO has a huge community. Even the F2P shooter market is fairly well flooded.

People will make room for the next COD and the next Dice game, but that's about it. Strangely enough, a single player first person shooter would have done FAR better than Lawbreakers has. Of course what I'd really love to see is Cliffy and Bosskey work on a new Gears title (I know, shocker there).
Single player would also have helped with the “population is low so not sure if I should buy it” line of thinking.

I haven’t played since destiny came out. What I played of it was cool and after a few hours I got good at the game and got some nice placements on the scoreboard, but I’ve just been too busy with destiny since then... The changes in the most recent patch don’t sound great either.

That doesnt count people who use Bethesda launcher, most people use that so they dont have to pay to play.

C'mon son.

You know those Steam numbers are terrible too for game with the Quake brand and the same price point as LB. The idea that there is a ton of people using the Bethesda client of all things being used a shield for the low player counts is obvious and doesn't help at all.

Not to mention the fact that people look at Steam numbers when considering buying, and don't give a shit about some dozens of people that have the Bethesda version. The visible low numbers will just kill new player investment and lead to less and less players over time like it did for LB.

Sadly these kinds of fast paced skill-intensive shooters just do not have a market anymore. Lawbreakers was a really solid game with some great ideas, launched at a fair price point, and still died quick. The last patch that killed off what little remnant there was of a community was another bad move.

EL CUCO

Feel bad for the team. They do a great job but recently made a few changes to the health system and movement in hopes of bringing in new players and as a result kinda pushed away some of the hardcores that were enjoying it how it was.

Curious to know how Quake is doing.

Biscotti

Neo Member
Cliff B a visionary ? Lmao

Not even free to play saves this billion dolar franchise AKA the dark souls of online shooters.

Dont think this studio will survive, i hope the people who work there will get jobs fast , dont feel sorry for cliff, dude acted like a massive douchebag at the gaming conferences etc

Once upon Cliffy said on twitter " Porches are for people too poor to afford a Lamborghini" I wonder if Lambos have water resistant seats.

Feel bad for the team. They do a great job but recently made a few changes to the health system and movement in hopes of bringing in new players and as a result kinda pushed away some of the hardcores that were enjoying it how it was.

Curious to know how Quake is doing.
Some? That is quite an understatement.
There are only 10 left out of ~80.000 owners.

Budi

LawBreakers' performance is personally my saddest and depressing gaming event of the year.

I've played this game since the Closed Alpha, and watched it grow over time and make great strides to its gameplay, and it just...died. I don't regret buying the limited edition from LRG, but I am saddened by the reception that LawBreakers has received.

It seems the only, and I mean THE ONLY way for other arena shooters to be able to coexist with Overwatch is for them to be free to play, and that makes me sad.
I shared my similar thoughts in the OT, with added bonus of the malice from people not into the game.
Am I missing something, why are people suddenly hating on Cliffyb? I thought people loved him.
He called some Gaffers cunts 3 years ago when there were discussion about crunch in the industry and he shared his thoughts to a Naughty Dog developer sleeping at her desk when preparing for E3. You can guess that it wasn't taken well in here.

And 10 years ago he called PC gamers tech-savy enough to know how to torrent. I think he was right at the time, but that doesn't seem to be accurate anymore when PC gamers seemingly even can't understand how to use Steam.
Some? That is quite an understatement.
There are only 10 left out of ~80.000 owners.
The concurrent player peak was around 200 at best before the patch.

-MD-

Exile20

Yes, how is that relevant here?? (just asking, not 'challenging' you, hard to not sound like an ass when typing that question :) )

These gritty style deathmatch games. The artstyle was a huge turn off to me along with the tone.

Everything doesn't have to be cartoony like OW.

Top Bottom