• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve to offer distribution agreements to all main 2013 IGF finalists on Steam

Bentendo

Source

The organizers of the Independent Games Festival, the leading showcase for independent video games worldwide, have announced a new agreement with Valve for IGF 2013.

All IGF Main Competition finalists for this year's event will receive the opportunity to accept a distribution agreement for Steam, a leading platform for distribution in today's burgeoning independent gaming market.

This means every single Main Competition finalist in each of the jury-voted categories - the Seumas McNally Grand Prize, Excellence In Design, Excellence In Art, Excellence In Narrative, Technical Excellence, Excellence in Audio, and even the Nuovo Award - can work directly with Steam to bring their titles to PC, Mac and Linux.

This agreement comes as the 2013 Independent Games Festival rolls out its new, cutting-edge judging website back-end - including a dedicated mobile judge app, social-style discussion tools for games, and the ability for judges and contestants to easily connect to resolve technical problems.

With over 200 distinguished judges discussing and recommending titles for named, discipline-specific juries in each of the seven main categories, IGF 2013 will announce its finalists in January 2013, and award winners at Game Developers Conference 2013 in San Francisco this March.

Finalists and winners of the Independent Games Festival since its 1999 debut have included landmark indie games such as Braid, World of Goo, Super Meat Boy, Portal predecessor Narbacular Drop, Minecraft, and a host of other seminal titles. Valve joins other supporters of the 2013 IGF including media sponsors Gamasutra and Game Developer magazine, as well as Platinum Sponsor Microsoft Studios and Platinum Student Showcase Sponsor DigiPen.

Also: If you're familiar with the festival, can someone post some potential nominees?

Oddduck

Becoming a 2013 IGF finalist is easier than going through Steam Greenlight....kidding.

But yeah, that's pretty awesome. Good for Valve recognizing the finalists.

Zia

Cool!

Related: Isn't Journey being entered this year? :x

Journey was funded and partially developed by Sony. Ineligible.

Also, I posted this in the other thread, but since this has more replies:

I think this is great for a few reasons:

a) Steam Greenlight has done a really, really poor job of celebrating quality. There have been some fine games that've come through Greenlight, but it seems the average Steam user that participates in voting would like little more than an Xbox Live Indie Games program for their computer, filled with very cheap clones.

Say what you want about the complaints with last year's IGF voting process, but things have been improved dramatically, and aside from some strange inconsistencies like VVVVVV being ignored in 2010, or Blueberry Garden winning Seumas McNally, the best games usually end up as finalists, or honorable mentions.

b) There are a lot of fantastic games in competition this year. While there's no Fez or Johann Sebastian Joust, high-profile downloadable console games with a lot of crossover potential, there are a bunch of Hotline Miamis and SpaceChems. Brilliant PC and Mac games that are currently unavailable to the public. These games shouldn't have to go through Greenlight and a lot of them wouldn't make it through if they had to.

c) This will be good for those released titles that are known to be quality but for whatever reason haven't made it through Greenlight. Incredipede comes to mind, and that is not to say it'll get a nom for anything because I honestly have no idea, but it's certainly one of the most beautiful titles in-competition so I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a visual finalist.

d) Nuovo nominees. On Steam. The service as an outlet for these weird games, regardless of their quality, is a healthy thing. We need another high-profile outlet for quirk outside of PSN.

So, yay.

Bentendo

Journey was funded and partially developed by Sony. Ineligible.

Also, I posted this in the other thread, but since this has more replies:

Nice post. I kinda feel bad for my lackluster copy and paste press release op now. :(

Zia

Also: If you're familiar with the festival, can someone post some potential nominees?

I forgot to mention, judges are not supposed to discuss unreleased games. However, a quick look through this year's entrants will give you a good idea of what could possibly arrive on Steam via an Excellence in Visual Arts nomination.

"Here's your agreement: Go through Greenlight. LOL!"

This made me laugh.

: (

Wok

I forgot to mention, judges are not supposed to discuss unreleased games. However, a quick look through this year's entrants will give you a good idea of what could possibly arrive on Steam via an Excellence in Visual Arts nomination.

For a quick-look, this website is better than the official one.

I would guess the following games for some finalists and honorable mentions. I am delibaretely avoiding games already released on Steam or already greenlit.

Remember these are only my guesses.

Nuovo Award (6)
  • Against the wall
  • Bientôt l'été
  • FRACT OSC
  • Simony
  • Super Amazing Wagon Adventure
  • Zineth

Excellence in Design (7)
  • Clairvoyance
  • Kairo
  • Moments of Reflection
  • Perspective
  • Super Puzzle Platformer
  • The Bridge
  • The Swapper

Technical Excellence (4)
  • ibb and obb
  • Incredipede
  • Owlboy
  • The Iconoclasts

Excellence in Narrative (8)

Excellence in Visual Arts (7)

Excellence in Audio (3)
  • Owlboy (again)
  • Super Amazing Wagon Adventure (again)
  • Wooden Sen'SeY (again)

Last updated on December, 12th 2012.

Feels like they were informally doing this anyway. IGF is my favourite part of GDC even though the "scene" seems very cliquey. Can't wait for some new indie games to play. 2012 has been kinda slow on that front imo.
This is fantastic news!
Will this deal also be alongside the XBLA Prize? Super T.I.M.E Force won that last time.
Once the XBLA exclusivity runs out ._. maybe

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Source

For funsies, I'm going through the list and picking out the games that caught my eye. Part I:

Against the Wall

Gravity bending 3D platforming game. The twist is that you're going up a vertical surface.

Awesomenauts
A 2D sidescrolling MOBA that is, well, awesome.

Axiom Verge
A Metroid/Contra cross up where glitches are actually a game mechanic.

Beat Hazard Ultra
Top down arena shooter with trippy visuals, where the soundtrack determines the level. Think Geometry Wars crossed with a music visualizer.

Bezircle
A pretty neat multiplayer on territory control type game.

Blastrobots
Student showcase game that evokes memories of frantic old school top down shooters, but with modern graphics.

Bleed
A stylish sidescrolling shooter with some Max Payne, Contra and Castlevania influences.

Contrast
This looks like an adventure/platformer with mechanics that revolve around shadows. The atmosphere and soundtrack gave me some serious Grim Fandango vibes. It's already Greenlit. Definitely a strong contender for finalist.

Code Hero
Yo dawg, I heard you like game design... It's the second game I've heard of this year that has coding as a game mechanic. Sounds really ambitious.

Chroma

Another puzzle platformer with a light/shadow mechanic, but this looks really well done.

Catapult for Hire

Looks sort of like a cross between Wreckateer and a 3D platformer. Quest based artillery style trick shooting across several 3D environments. I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Cannon Brawl
One of the PAX 10 games that I played this year. This has finalist written all over it. I'd describe it as Death Tank crossed with Command and Conquer. So real time artillery action with some light strategy and base building. Probably the best 2D artillery game since Worms: Armageddon. It's up on Greenlight.

Card Hunter
A CCG/RPG hybrid that's currently in beta. Richard Garfield, the creator of MTG, is one of the devs.

Clairvoyance
Sort of like a cross between Frozen Synapse and Robo Rally. It's a grid based take on asynchronous, semi-turn based multiplayer.

Crashtastic

Physics based puzzler built around Nuts and Bolts style customized vehicles. Looks like a lot of tries end up with broken parts everywhere. So what everyone ends up doing with their Lego vehicles.

Cubemen
A surprisingly deep, grid based tactical strategy game. This was released on PC and iOS earlier in the year and I had a good time with it.

Cubetractor
This adds an interesting twist to the TD genre by adding a block building/bashing mechanic. You affect the gameworld by pulling blocks that continue moving until they collide with something.

Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten

Tower defense with a dash of JRPG.

Dust: An Elysian Tail
An XBLA 2D action game that will no doubt be a finalist, and is going to end up on some GOTY lists as well.

Dustforce
PC precision based 2D platformer in the vein of Super Meat Boy, but completely non-violent. One of my personal faves.

Eador: Masters of the Broken World
Gorgeous 4x turn based strategy game. Should be getting Greenlit sometime in the near future.

Eats: Munchies
Follow up to the puzzle/platformer Eets.

element4l
Atmospheric 2D platformer with non-traditional controls. You move by controlling your momentum across hilly levels.

Faëria
Culdcept/Summoner Wars style, hex based CCG strategy game. Warning: trailer may contain dubstep.

Flightless
Ladder based platformer. The catch here is that there's no jump button.

I'll look at more later.

Platy

BY THE LOVE OF ANY DEITY PEOPLE BELIEVE !!!!!

"Qasir al-Wasat: A Night in-Between" NEEDS to be a finalist.

The game sounds the worst game EVER to be greelighted.
It is a stealth game with an invisible protagonist made in brazil that is set in the middle east and has no voice actors but everyone talks.

The game is GOOD

Wok

For funsies, I'm going through the list and picking out the games that caught my eye. Part I [...] I'll look at more later.

Cool!

I would guess the following games for some finalists and honorable mentions. I am delibaretely avoiding games already released on Steam or already greenlit. Remember these are only my guesses.

If I now have a look at games already released on Steam or already greenlit:

Nuovo Award (4)
  • Little Inferno
  • McPixel
  • Super Hexagon
  • Thirty Flights of Loving

Excellence in Design (3)
  • A Virus Named TOM
  • Gateways
  • Splice

Technical Excellence (1)
  • FTL: Faster than Light

Excellence in Narrative (3)
  • The Stanley Parable
  • Thirty Flights of Loving (again)
  • Thomas Was Alone

Excellence in Visual Arts (2)
  • Contrast
  • Fly'n

Excellence in Audio (2)
  • Dustforce
  • Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams

Last updated on December, 12th 2012.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Alright, more IGF submissions that I think are worth a look:

Feedback
Music based pong, except the paddle is rotating around the center of a circle. It might have that minimalist "one more game" quality that Super Hexagon had.

Finitris
Basically a tutorial of regular expressions and finite state machines wrapped up in a game. Doesn't have the broadest of appeal but good edutainment is pretty rare.

Fins & Flippers
A pixel art local multiplayer game where you swing fish into a boat and swing sharks into your competitors. Seems like that style of game is trendy at the moment.

FLY'N
A visually captivating platformer with some interesting movement mechanics. Made by a GAFfer and already Greenlit.

Flying Daggers
2D iOS action platformer where you unleash an absurd amount of flying cutlery at your enemies.

FTL: Faster than Light
The spaceship rogue-like that is currently consuming everyone's time. It was Kickstarted and got in before the Greenlight process became mandatory.

Flockwork: Addictive Sheep Herding
Touch based "herd the sheep" game with some neat physics. This one has potential.

Foresight
Space RTS with some clear SupCom influences.

Forge
Multiplayer only action game with a fantasy theme. Basically Unreal Tournament crossed with Sacrifice. It was Greenlit and released this month.

Frog Fractions
This one has a thread and a following here. It's standard edutainment on the surface, but there's much more underneath...

FRACT OSC
Trippy Tron-esque first person puzzler.

Gas Guzzlers: Combat Carnage
One of the few modern PC car combat games. It's quite the looker.

Gateways
Akin to a 2D Portal. Already out on Steam.

Gear Up
One of the other PC vehicular combat games. This one is in the early alpha stages but I'm keeping an eye on it.

Gimbal
The indie scene is no stranger to top down space combat, but this is one of the few multiplayer titles in that sub-genre. Of note is the ship customization and physics system.

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
2.5D platformer with some pretty impressive production values. This one is already Greenlit.

Gigabattle

Interesting little TD/shmup hybrid. Defend against or attack with zillions of little ships.

Glitch Tank
I guess I have a thing for pixel art multiplayer games. This one sort of plays out like a fast paced board game, with random cards determining your moves.

Guns of Icarus Online
Online multiplayer airship combat game recently released on Steam.

Gunman Clive
Arcade side-scroller with a hand drawn look.

Hotline Miami
Hyper kinetic top down stealth shooter with a gritty retro 80s look.

ibb and obb
Interesting co-op platformer with an inventive gravity manipulation mechanic.

Icebreaker - A Viking Voyage
Cross between Cut the Rope and The Incredible Machine.

Incredipede
Ostensibly a physics based 2D game about getting your wacky, misshapen creature from A to B. So Spore crossed with QWOP.

Kentucky Route Zero
Looks like a sidescrolling adventure game with an interesting artistic direction. It's a mix of detailed lighting and simple textured polygons.

Knytt Underground
Another polished, atmospheric looking platformer with a variety of interesting movement mechanics.

Kromaia
What appears to be a Rez inspired shooter.

Lums
Vaguely Angry Birds esque platformer with a stylized look that revolves around light and shadow.

LUFTRAUSERS
2D sidescrolling airplane multiplayer madness.

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
A frantic 2D Missile Command style tower defense game with a visually arresting mix of modern and retro aesthetics.

Lilly Looking Through
An animated adventure game with hand drawn graphics and some elaborately animated 3D characters (rotoscoped?). There's a playable demo available for download on their webpage.

Man VS The World
Frantic, explosion filled sidescrolling shooter coming out of Digipen.

Nightmare Duel
Quirky, fast paced, local multiplayer slot card combat game.

Nihilumbra
Takes the paint idea from Portal 2 / Power of Paint and drops it into a 2D platformer. It's a crowded genre but this one has quite a bit of charm and inventiveness.

Mushroom 11
A 2D platformer where you control a walking biomass. Sort of defies description.

Ninja Crash
Runner up in this year's Dream Build Play competition. It's basically joust, but it's a well done clone. Really solid and a local multiplayer laugh riot.

Owlboy
Looks like a solid, polished 16-bit platform adventure game. Like the kind that Capcom and Konami used to crank out for the SNES. I nostalgied.

Offspring Fling!
Steam puzzle platformer where you throw your adorable offspring at enemies and the environment.

One Finger Death Punch
The winner of Dream Build Play, it is a rythm game-esque brawler with some similarities to the old stick figure karate flash movies. Not impressive in stills but it looks completely insane in motion. Really hyperactive and well animated.

Path of Exile
Isometric hack and slash with strong Diablo 2 influences.

Penumbear
Platformer where light is often a platform.

Perspective
Perspective swapping platformer that requires thinking in 2D and 3D.

Q.U.B.E.
A first person puzzle game that is somewhat reminiscent of a more abstract version of Portal.

Recruits
A modern UE 3.0 Cannon Fodder. Fast paced tactical top down shooter.

Redemption
First person shooter where you must eradicate the viral infection from the game environment. Available for download through the link.

Super Space
An inventive student showcase 2-4 player co-op, top-down shooter. The twist is that you're all connected to a contraption and have to use the force generated by your shots to move around.

Wok

With 2013 will come the results of IGF:
  • January 7, 2013 - Finalists Announced, Main Competition
  • January 14, 2013 - Finalists Announced, Student Competition
  • March 25 - March 29, 2013 - Game Developers Conference 2013
  • March 27, 2013 - IGF Awards Ceremony (Winners Announced!)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Renga
This is an installation game created for movie theaters designed to create a participatory cinematic experience. The audience plays along with laser pointers. This one may get a nod in the Nuovo category.

Reprisal
Interesting take on the Populous formula, with a catchy bit tune soundtrack.

Red Rogue
Open source sidescrolling rouge-like with some satisfyingly visceral combat.

RUNNING WITH RIFLES
Isometric tactical multiplayer WW2 shooter. Emphasis on the tactics. Join both AI and player controlled troops in massive battles. It has an interesting art style that reminds me of the original Alone in the Dark.

Sang-Froid - Tales of Werewolves
A wilderness survival game where you set up traps and ambushes to thwart your enemies. Currently one of the Steam games voted in through Greenlight.

Samurai Gunn
Local 2D multiplayer competitive platformer with retro graphics and a breakneck pace on par with a fighting game.

Skulls Of The Shogun
One of, if not the best home console turn based strategy game. It's pick up and play with some nice tactical depth under the surface.

Splatter
Top down horror survival shooter with a well done lighting system. It also includes some local competitive multiplayer modes.

Super House Of Dead Ninjas
One of Adult Swim's many flash games of surprisingly high quality. It's sort of like a procedurally generated Ninja Gaiden time rush game.

Super Snack Time
A 2D puzzle game in the same vein as Peggle and Breakout, but with Angry Birds style slingshot controls.

Super Hexagon
A minimal action game by Terry Cavanagh, with music by Chipzel.

Teslagrad
An action puzzle platformer with gameplay mechanics focused around magnetism.

Terrorhedron
Tower defense with balls, so to speak. Features full 3D tracks, 8 player co-op and programmable turrets.

Super Amazing Wagon Adventure
2D survival game/shooter that is also an accurate account of the Oregon Trail. Apparently, there were a lot of flesh eating giant ants around back then.

Sunshine
What could be the Super Meat Boy of spinning plate style platform games, if the controls are up to par. Looks extremely challenging.

Shmupacabra
Open source sidescrolling bullet hell shmup.

Shadow Puppeteer
Co-op platformer where one of you is a shadow. Clever hijinks ensue.

Simony
More of a social experiment than a game, but interesting nonetheless. It's a memory game with a networked leaderboard with optional game boosts for sale. The top 10 winners choose how to spend the charity money. It's from the creator of Cow Clicker.

simian.interface
A visual puzzle game about the moment where everything just "clicks."

The Swapper
A brilliant puzzle platformer where you create and manipulate clones to progress across the game world. I'd be shocked if this wasn't a finalist.

Sword Surfer
I mentioning it for the music. Especially this track.

Super Clew Land Complete
Looks like a modern hybrid of Kirby and Pokemon. Old school gameboy era platforming with abilities granted through evolution.

StarForge
Ridiculously ambitious voxel action game set in space. Build, fight and survive on a hostile planet.

The Iconoclasts
2D action game in the vein of Noitu Love 2 (same dev).

Wooden Sen'SeY
Action platformer with gorgeous graphics inspired by Japanese art.

Unmechanical
Robotics/mechanical themed puzzle platformer with a lot of heart and polish. Available on Steam with a demo.

Train Conductor 2: USA
A very challenging touch game where you frantically control train traffic across two different directions.

Zombie Driver HD
A re-release of the original down zombie themed action driving game with some new sexy graphics and features.

_______

Ok, I went through 587 entrants and these are the games I'm going to be giving a second look. I might add more later. A lot of these will probably end up as finalists. Skulls Of The Shogun, StarForge, Cannon Brawl, Dust, Contrast, and Awesomenauts are strong contenders to win something, IMO. I'll go through and choose my picks for finalists in a separate post, if I get the time.

Orayn

You think anyone from Valve or any westsern publisher would ever roll over to Comiket?

I hope so. Valve needs some kind of emissary to Japan to help line up localization and DD proposals for doujin games - I'm sure a lot of the creators do well enough with their current outlets, but don't realize how much money there is to be made on Steam.

Wok

The Swapper
A brilliant puzzle platformer where you create and manipulate clones to progress across the game world. I'd be shocked if this wasn't a finalist.

Was it playable somewhere?

Shadow Puppeteer
Co-op platformer where one of you is a shadow. Clever hijinks ensue.

I missed this one. It looks interesting.

Ok, I went through 587 entrants and these are the games I'm going to be giving a second look. I might add more later. A lot of these will probably end up as finalists. Skulls Of The Shogun, StarForge, Cannon Brawl, Dust, Contrast, and Awesomenauts are strong contenders to win something, IMO. I'll go through and choose my picks for finalists in a separate post, if I get the time.

I would be interested in your picks.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Was it playable somewhere?

I would be interested in your picks.
I played The Swapper at PAX and it was brilliant.

Here are the categories:

Seumas McNally Grand Prize
Excellence In Visual Art
Excellence In Audio
Excellence in Design
Excellence in Narrative
Technical Excellence
Nuovo Award
Audience Award
IGF Student Showcase Winner
Best Student Game
Microsoft XBLA Award

There's typically 5 finalists per category, with 8 for the student and Nuovo awards. MS just announces a winner with no finalists. So I'll start filling these and in and see how far off I was on Monday.

Wok

I thought there were more than 5 finalists but you are right. I will do the same.

Edit: Here are my guesses.

Seumas McNally Grand Prize (5/5)
  • Cannon Brawl
  • FTL: Faster than Light
  • ibb and obb
  • Owlboy
  • The Iconoclasts

Excellence In Visual Art (5/5)
  • Apotheon
  • City Tuesday
  • Dust: An Elysian Tail
  • Fly'n
  • Tengami

Technical Excellence (5/5)
  • Awesomenauts
  • Dustforce
  • Hotline Miami
  • Incredipede
  • Skulls Of The Shogun

Excellence in Design (5/5)
  • A Virus Named TOM
  • Gateways
  • Moments of Reflection
  • Perspective
  • The Swapper

Excellence In Audio (3/5)
  • Beat Hazard Ultra
  • FRACT OSC
  • Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
  • ?
  • ?

Excellence in Narrative (5/5)
  • Kentucky Route Zero
  • Qasir al-Wasat: A Night in-Between
  • Papo & Yo
  • The Stanley Parable
  • Thomas Was Alone

Nuovo Award (8/8)
  • Bientôt l'été
  • Frog Fractions
  • Little Inferno
  • McPixel
  • Simony
  • Super Amazing Wagon Adventure
  • Super Hexagon
  • Thirty Flights of Loving

IGF Student Showcase Winner (8/8)
  • ATUM
  • Farsh
  • Perspective
  • Shadow Diver
  • SPHERE
  • Tiny White Stones
  • Unmechanical
  • Zineth

Last updated on January, 2nd 2013.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
My picks (for now):

Cannon Brawl
Starforge
Contact
Awesomenauts
Skulls Of The Shogun

Honorable Mentions: The Swapper, Dust: An Elysian Tail, Q.U.B.E., FTL: Faster than Light, Path of Exile

Excellence In Visual Art
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
Tengami
Eador: Masters of the Broken World
Lilly Looking Through

Honorable Mentions: Beat Hazard Ultra, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, Wooden Sen'SeY, element4l, Forge

Excellence In Audio
Reprisal
Contact
Hotline Miami
Shadow Puppeteer
SounDrift EP

Excellence in Design
Cubetractor
The Swapper
Super Hexagon
ibb and obb
Chroma

Honorable mentions: Clairvoyance, Lums, Defender's Quest, Hotline Miami, Against the Wall

Excellence in Narrative
Leaving
Framed
The Journey Down
Kentucky Route Zero
Contact

Technical Excellence
Wooden Sen'SeY
Lost Echo
Tengami
Gas Guzzlers: Combat Carnage
Starforge

Honorable mentions: Forge, Icebreaker - A Viking Voyage, Crashtastic, Shadow Puppeteer, Catapult for Hire

Nuovo Award
Renga
Yamove!
Panoramical
FRACT OSC
Searchlight

Audience Award
RUNNING WITH RIFLES
Sang-Froid
Forge
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
Path of Exile

IGF Student Showcase Winner
Redemption
Blastrobots
Man VS The World
Super Space
Perspective
Nightmare Duel
Unmechanical
Battle Fortress Tortoise

Microsoft XBLA Award
Cannon Brawl

Platy

Finalists are here !

http://igf.com/2013/01/2013_indepen...um=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+igfnews+(IGF+News)

Excellence In Visual Art
Incredipede (Northway Games and Thomas Shahan)
Kentucky Route Zero (Cardboard Computer)
Guacalamelee! (Drinkbox Studios)
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime (Asteroid Base)
Year Walk (Simogo)

Honorable mentions: Fly'n (Ankama Play); Eleven (Christoffer Hedborg, Datahowler); The Bridge (Ty Taylor and Mario Castaneda); Thomas Was Alone (Mike Bithell, David Housden and Danny Wallace); Hundreds (Semi Secret feat. aeiowu)

Excellence In Narrative
Thirty Flights of Loving (Blendo Games)
Cart Life (Richard Hofmeier)
Dys4ia (Auntie Pixelante)
Gone Home (The Fullbright Company)

Honorable mentions: Goblet Grotto (thecatamites, j chastain, NEW VADERS); Analogue: A Hate Story (Christine Love); Papo & Yo (Minority Media); The Stanley Parable (Galactic Cafe); 7 Grand Steps (Mousechief)

Technical Excellence
StarForge (CodeHatch)
Perspective (DigiPen Widdershins)
Little Inferno (Tomorrow Corporation)
Intrusion 2 (Aleksey Abramenko)
LiquidSketch (Tobias Neukom)

Honorable mentions: Mobiloid (Monty Melby); Skulls Of The Shogun (17-BIT); Foldit (University of Washington); 140 (Jeppe Carlsen); Gateways (Smudged Cat Games)

Excellence In Design
Samurai Gunn (Beau Blyth)
FTL: Faster Than Light (Subset Games)
Starseed Pilgrim (Droqen & Ryan Roth)
Super Hexagon (Terry Cavanagh)
Super Space ______ (David Scamehorn & Alexander Baard/DigiPen)

Honorable mentions: Spaceteam (Henry Smith); Helix (Michael Brough); Little Inferno (Tomorrow Corporation); Rymdkapsel (Martin Jonasson, Grapefrukt Games); Hotline Miami (Dennaton Games)

Excellence In Audio
Bad Hotel (Lucky Frame)
140 (Jeppe Carlsen)
Hotline Miami (Dennaton Games)
Pixeljunk 4AM (Q-Games)

Honorable mentions: Thomas Was Alone (Mike Bithell, David Housden and Danny Wallace); Little Inferno (Tomorrow Corporation); Gone Home (The Fullbright Company); Fract OSC (Phosfiend Systems); Dust: An Elysian Tale (Humble Hearts)

Nuovo Award
[Designed 'to honor abstract... and unconventional game development'.]
Spaceteam (Henry Smith)
Dys4ia (Auntie Pixelante)
Bientot l'ete (Tale of Tales)
7 Grand Steps (Mousechief)
MirrorMoon (SantaRagione + BloodyMonkey)
VESPER.5 (Michael Brough)

Honorable mentions: Renga (wallFour); Starseed Pilgrim (Droqen & Ryan Roth); Frog Fractions (Twinbeard); Thirty Flights of Loving (Blendo Games); The Stanley Parable (Galactic Cafe)

Hotline Miami (Dennaton Games)
FTL: Faster Than Light (Subset Games)

Honorable mentions: Gone Home (The Fullbright Company); Thirty Flights of Loving (Blendo Games); The Stanley Parable (Galactic Cafe); Super Hexagon (Terry Cavanagh); Starseed Pilgrim (Droqen & Ryan Roth)

FTL, Intrusion 2, Little Inferno, Thirty Flights Of Loving, Hotline Miami and Super Hexagon are already on steam ... did I missed anyone ?

Dys4ia on steam would be ... interesting xD

epmode

Oh good, a few games I own will now be on Steam!

You should look at StarForge, GAF. It's very early but it's still really promising.

Wok

Here are my guesses.

Seumas McNally Grand Prize (1/5)
FTL: Faster than Light (1 point)

Excellence In Visual Art (0.5/5)
Fly'n (0.5 point)

Technical Excellence (0.5/5)
Skulls Of The Shogun (0.5 point)

Excellence In Audio (0.5/5 with only 3 predictions)
FRACT OSC (0.5 point)

Excellence in Narrative (2/5)
Kentucky Route Zero (1 point)
Papo & Yo (0.5 point)
The Stanley Parable (0.5 point)

Nuovo Award (3/8)
Bientôt l'été (1 point)
Frog Fractions (0.5 point)
Little Inferno (1 point)
Thirty Flights of Loving (0.5 point)

Last updated on January, 2nd 2013.

And now, if we give:
  • 1 point for each correct prediction of a finalist in a category,
  • 0.5 point for each prediction of a finalist which falls in the section of honorable mentions of the category

I get a total of 7.5/38 (with only 36 predictions)

Here are a few stats about my predictions, if:
  • we mix all the categories for the main competition,
  • and we stick to the finalists, since I did not make any prediction for a honorable mention.

True positive : 9
False positive : 27
False negative : 19
True negative : 532

Accuracy: 92%

Sensibility (or recall): 32%
Specificity: 95%

Positive predictive value (or precision) : 25%
Negative predictive value : 98%

Wok

My picks:

Excellence In Visual Art
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime (1 point)

Excellence In Audio
Hotline Miami (1 point)

Excellence in Design
Super Hexagon (1 point)

Excellence in Narrative
Kentucky Route Zero (1 point)

Technical Excellence
Starforge (1 point)

Nuovo Award
Renga (0.5 point)

Last updated on January, 3rd 2013.

You are not bad too. You get a total of 5.5/38 points if I omit all the honorable mentions which you have given (this would lower the score ratio in the end).

1. Incredipede
  2. Kentucky Route Zero
  3. Guacalamelee!
  4. Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
  5. Year Walk
  6. Cart Life
  7. Dys4ia
  8. Gone Home
  9. StarForge
  10. Perspective <--- a free game made by Digipen students, check it out!
  11. LiquidSketch
  12. Samurai Gunn
  13. Starseed Pilgrim
  14. Super Space ______
  15. Bad Hotel
  16. 140
  17. Pixeljunk 4AM
  18. Spaceteam
  19. Bientot l'ete
  20. 7 Grand Steps
  21. MirrorMoon
  22. VESPER.5

All these games could get greenlit very soon since they are IGF 2013 Finalists, and some of them are already on Greenlight!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
This was an interesting exercise. In general, my picks were way more "commercial" than what the IGF ended up going with. Some of these will have another chance in February with the audience award.

Wok

• ATUM
  • Farsh
  • Perspective
  • Shadow Diver
  • SPHERE
  • Tiny White Stones
  • Unmechanical
  • Zineth
Last updated on January, 2 2013.

• Battle Fortress Tortoise
  • Blastrobots
  • Man VS The World
  • Nightmare Duel
  • Perspective
  • Redemption
  • Super Space
  • Unmechanical
Last updated on January, 3 2013.

We will know the answer on January, 22 2013.

This was an interesting exercise. In general, my picks were way more "commercial" than what the IGF ended up going with. Some of these will have another chance in February with the audience award.

I have given a thought about the winners. These are my predictions.
  • Seumas McNally Grand Prize: Little Inferno (my previous vote for the finalists was for FTL: Faster than Light)
  • Excellence in Visual Art: Kentucky Route Zero
  • Technical Excellence: Perspective
  • Excellence in Design: Super Hexagon
  • Excellence in Audio: Hotline Miami
  • Excellence in Narrative: Gone Home (my previous vote for the finalists was for Kentucky Route Zero)
  • Nuovo: Cart Life (my previous votes for the finalists were for either Bientôt l'été, either Little Inferno)

I take for granted your predictions would be the same as in your previous votes for the finalists:
  • Seumas McNally Grand Prize: ?
  • Excellence in Visual Art: Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
  • Technical Excellence: Starforge
  • Excellence in Design: Super Hexagon
  • Excellence in Audio: Hotline Miami
  • Excellence in Narrative: Kentucky Route Zero
  • Nuovo: ?
Last updated on January, 12 2013.

Do we still get to bring up how the IGF is corrupt because judges don't even play the entries?

I also think it's a bit ridiculous that unfinished games can be nominated and win awards too, but the indie scene is a special place with special rules for their special awards... so I guess if they're ok with their weird rules and corrupt judging then that's great for them.

Wok

Finalists:
  1. ATUM (NHTV IGAD)
  2. Back to Bed (Danish Academy of Digital Interactive Entertainment)
  3. Blackwell's Asylum (Danish Academy of Digital Interactive Entertainment)
  4. Farsh (NHTV IGAD)
  5. Knights of Pen & Paper (IESB - Instituto de Ensino Superior de Brasilia & UnB - Universidade de Brasilia)
  6. the mindfulxp volume (Carnegie Mellon University Entertainment Technology Center)
  7. Pulse (Vancouver Film School)
    [*]Zineth (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute)

Honorable mentions:
  • Anodyne (University of Chicago and Carleton College);
  • Chrono Disfunglement (DigiPen Institute of Technology Singapore);
  • The Moonlighters (University of Southern California, Interactive Media Division);
  • Narcosis (ENJMIN);
  • Plushy Knight (Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy);
  • SerpenteS (ENJMIN);
  • SneakSneak (Hogeschool voor de Kunsten Utrecht);
  • Tales From The Minus Lab (University of Southern California)

So I have correctly predicted 3 out 8 finalists, but SapientWolf none.

The complete list is here.

The obvious winner shall be Farsh.

Top Bottom