• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIGHT! Virtua Fighter 2, Fighting Vipers, Sonic The Fighters Rated for XBLA

Rlan

Courtesy of @lifelower

A4ubAj1CEAAIB9d.jpg:large

http://twitter.com/lifelower

Eusis

Man, I'm glad more Saturn games seem to be hitting DD services finally. Hopefully it starts cracking things open for getting more obscure, hard to find games on like Panzer Dragoon Saga. Though NiGHTS itself is a huge triumph, even with control issues.

Rlan

All three games got rereleases last generation - VF2 and FV on SEGA AGES, STF on Sonic Gems collection. Gonna assume it's those like NiGHTS?

remz

Pretty down for Fighting Vipers, never played it before.

Panzer Dragoon Saga would be great, but wasn't theresome issue with that game along the lines of "SEGA lost the source code" ?

V_Ben

Banned
All three games got rereleases last generation - VF2 and FV on SEGA AGES, STF on Sonic Gems collection. Gonna assume it's those like NiGHTS?

I'm down with that. Emulations of the classic versions alongside prettied up newer ones? Lovely way of doing it.

bobeth

I hope they'd give it the Daytona USA treatment instead, what a great port that was!

VariantX

Its as if Sega just suddenly realized that they have games that don't just have sonic in them and on consoles other than the genesis...

Atolm

By the way those games are cool and all but it's like Playmore, they keep re-releasing the same stuff over and over...I'd kill for home ports of unseen stuff like Ollie Kings, Virtua Cop 3, Scud Race, Daytona 2...Sega has such an impressive arcade games library it's not even funny.

May get Sonic the Fighters since it's the only one I don't own...even if it isn't all that great. I still thought it was kinda fun. :p

The rest...if my online friends get it, since I already have the Saturn versions (dat Pepsiman!).

Also, Pepsiman needs to be in this version of Fighting Vipers, but it's doubtful, since I imagine they'll probably port the arcade versions over. Also, license issues.

By the way those games are cool and all but it's like Playmore, they keep re-releasing the same stuff over and over...I'd kill for home ports of unseen stuff like Ollie Kings, Virtua Cop 3, Scud Race, Daytona 2...Sega has such an impressive arcade games library it's not even funny.

I would freaking LOVE that.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
can i save money and just buy fighters megamix instead?

also, would much rather have daytona 2, scud race, sega rally 1 and 2, even VR

MarkusRJR

Sonic the Fighters is so bad and I will be buying it day one.

I love how SEGA is putting their old games on DD services. So good. We need Sonic R on XBLA and PSN too.

Eusis

Pretty down for Fighting Vipers, never played it before.

Panzer Dragoon Saga would be great, but wasn't theresome issue with that game along the lines of "SEGA lost the source code" ?
It doesn't seem to be strictly necessary, just if you want to do something more ambitious than emulating or whatever. I'm not even sure the likes of Bluepoint work with the source code, they say they reverse engineer from retail copies, and that shouldn't be a huge problem for PDS.

With a karaoke mode.

"Can you feeel the sunshiiiiiiiiinnnnnneeeeeeee? Does it brighten up your dayyyyyyy?! Don't you feel that sometimes, you just need to run awayyyyyyyyy?!"

"Living in the cityyyyy! YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO SURVIIIIIVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEE!! YOU'VE GOT TO KEEP THAT DREAM ALIIIIIVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!"

If that's in, I'd get it even though I already have it on the Saturn. That karaoke mode would be the greatest thing ever created.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So, does this explain why Bahn is in Project X Zone? Virtua Fighter 2 is also in Yakuza 5, so they probably thought they might as well do a little more work with it, while including it as a part of that game, as well.

Ready to play Serpentor B.M. for a while, and then go back to playing Bahn and Candy.

I'd be pretty happy with a version of Sonic The Fighters. Might not be great, but it'll be nice, simple fun.

Man... I wanna see Burning Rangers pop up somwhere, too. I hope one of these days, while re-releasing a 3D fighter, some company would hadd a few new characters or 2, just because. Would be so funny to have someone like Sho appear, stealthily announcing that the next Sega re-release was Burning Rangers...

And YES to needing Sonic R.
And YES + 200 to Fighters Megamix!

Rlan

Anybody think these would possibly be XBLA exclusive? Seems unlikely, but damn would that be cruel :(

Also +100 Fighters Megamix.
fighters_megamix_profilelarge-1.jpg

Sega at least knows that their games now need to be on EVERYTHING for the most part. Only a few now are actually exclusive, and that seems to depend on the developer. Their published Treasure titles all are XBLA exclusive, for example.

These seems to be more Vintage Collection titles.

Khaz

Yep, it's still not true saturn ports but instead remakes of saturn games with a new engine. Which led to a few problems in the Nights release apparently.

Lost source code is still lost and Saturn emulation is still non-existent (on consoles). So no Panzer Dragoon Saga or House of the Dead 1 for us unless they remake it completely :(.

The good thing now is that Sega games won't stop on 360, there's a pretty good chance we will see them on Steam too.

Eusis

Admittedly a smart remake similar to NiGHTS could do wonders for PDS.

However, I guess at this point they'll just need to get the emulation nailed down for everything to burst wide open. I wonder if it IS possible now and they haven't pursued it enough, or if it's still impractical on consoles.

Man... I wanna see Burning Rangers pop up somwhere, too. I hope one of these days, while re-releasing a 3D fighter, some company would hadd a few new characters or 2, just because. Would be so funny to have someone like Sho appear, stealthily announcing that the next Sega re-release was Burning Rangers...

Seeing as that's about the only Saturn exclusive game from Sega I don't own that hasn't been re-released...HELL YES TO THIS.

Yep, it's still not true saturn ports but instead remakes of saturn games with a new engine. Which led to a few problems in the Nights release apparently.

Lost source code is still lost and Saturn emulation is still non-existent (on consoles). So no Panzer Dragoon Saga or House of the Dead 1 for us unless they remake it completely :(.

Arcade port, perhaps?

GrayFoxPL

These are most likely arcade versions taken from sega ages. We didn't get a saturn port on psn/xbla and probably never will. Nights was also ported from ps2 version and saturn mode is there because it already was on ps2.

That's why I wouldn't count on getting Megamix or PDS.

The good thing now is that Sega games won't stop on 360, there's a pretty good chance we will see them on Steam too.

Again though, the majority of these HD remakes are being reverse engineered from the originals, and have nothing to do with source code. A PDS (or seriously, a proper Panzer Collection) is not out of the question. Visually the NiGHTS HD remake is absolutely lovely, it's just the controls that took a bit of a hit.

Atolm

It doesn't seem to be strictly necessary, just if you want to do something more ambitious than emulating or whatever. I'm not even sure the likes of Bluepoint work with the source code, they say they reverse engineer from retail copies, and that shouldn't be a huge problem for PDS.

Well, PD Saga was coded very specifically for the Saturn, which was the PS2/PS3-style alien machine of that time, to the point that many Western games on Saturn don't use the second SH2 processor at all, so reverse-engineering stuff like that is a nightmare, not only because the machine itself, but also because back then devkits and documentarion weren't standarized at all like they are now, so most probably the guys at Team Andromeda used custom tools. Emulation is our best bet, I'd say.

For games like Nights, VF2 and many other it's a different story, they have the PS2 Sega Ages versions, they take the code from there.

Khaz

Arcade port, perhaps?

To my knowledge everything that was released during the saturn era and before, including arcade, is lost. They have most of the stuff from the Dreamcast era, which explains all the ports on PS2, Xbox and Gamecube of all the dreamcast hits.

For House of the dead you'll notice that 2 to x have been released several times on multiple consoles, in bundles etc. All iterations except the first one.

Shenmue collection will the last thing SEGA ever releases......just before the Sun explodes and we all have 4 mins to download it and play before oblivion.

Top Bottom