• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Tag Executive Quartz
Fortis Spacematic GMT Automatic 2893-2
Zenith Manual

watch.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
CurlySaysX, well thought out collection, congrats!

MickD said:
Do you have a link to an online store? (I have been searching for the past few days)
Check PM.

I took the plunge and ordered this today:
16600_050607-2.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
My brother has that 'moon omega' in the OP. Maybe 'he's doing it wrong' but he says he has to wind it at least once per day, so that kind of annoys him about it :p

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
gofreak said:
My brother has that 'moon omega' in the OP. Maybe 'he's doing it wrong' but he says he has to wind it at least once per day, so that kind of annoys him about it :p
The Speedy Pro Moonwatch is supposed to have a power reserve of around 50 hours, so there seems to be an issue with the movement. Take it to an AD and have it serviced.

Fireblend

Banned
Mine broke a few weeks ago and I have yet to get a new one. It's killing me, I used to rely on it too much and now getting my cellphone out of my pocket to know the hour is a pain. Is there any watch online store that ships internationally you'd recommend? Also my budget's really low, so no fancy watches for me :p

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Fireblend said:
Mine broke a few weeks ago and I have yet to get a new one. It's killing me, I used to rely on it too much and now getting my cellphone out of my pocket to know the hour is a pain. Is there any watch online store that ships internationally you'd recommend? Also my budget's really low, so no fancy watches for me :p
http://www.chronograph.com is decent.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
nothing wrong with appreciating the finer things in life. the pursuit of excellence is what humanity is all about.

rage1973

Nice watch OnkelC I have a Sea Dweller as well that I got from my wife as a wedding gift. I also have a Tag
DSC00610.jpg

This is going to be my next purchase this Christmas.
o_BR01-92-orange-rubber.1.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
rage1973, you got a really generous wife ;)

g35twinturbo said:
No one has any pics of any really good black metal band watches?
"black metal" as in blackened steel? Nearly every bigger manufacturer has models like these. As the process of coating the metal is quite labor-intensive, those watches normally cost a premium over the non-treated model.

Grifter said:
hey onkelc, new watch time...do you prefer fortis, stowa, or a dive like the TT1?
My ranking would be:

1. Fortis B-42 Marinemaster
262022684_2e2ac8a46b.jpg

2. Stowa Prodiver
2pt2zux.jpg

IMHO, the Oris is a bit too "plushy", but that's just me.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like I should own a watch now.

Grifter

OnkelC said:
My ranking would be:

1. Fortis B-42 Marinemaster

2. Stowa Prodiver

IMHO, the Oris is a bit too "plushy", but that's just me.

Thanks! I was thinking more along the lines of a Pilot Pro or Antea. I can't tell, do you have a PP or the Flieger?

AstroLad said:
nothing wrong with appreciating the finer things in life. the pursuit of excellence is what humanity is all about.

Beautifully stated. I'll be repeating that. Shouldn't have changed your XBL name.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Grifter said:
Thanks! I was thinking more along the lines of a Pilot Pro or Antea. I can't tell, do you have a PP or the Flieger?
I used to have the Fortis Pilot and a Stowa Marine, but sold them again to fund another watch. I wasn't too impressed with the Fortis (I need a rotating bezel;)), the Marine was a great watch for the money (awesome buid quality) and a nice dress watch.

Fortis Pilot:
smallP1010863.jpg

smallP1010838.jpg

smallP1010845.jpg

smallP1010848.jpg

smallP1010850.jpg

Stowa Marine:
smallCIMG4878.jpg

smallCIMG4879.jpg

smallCIMG4882.jpg

smallCIMG4887.jpg

Grifter

What'd you sell those for? You're insane!

I'm actually about to submit my payment for the PP. Did you not like anything besides the bezel? And why do you need them to rotate?

The Stowas are terrific, but I'm not a fan of those straps. The steel strap looks like chain mail.

The Sinn Us are amazing, but is there any routine maintenance you have to ship it back for?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I sold them to fund a Seiko Marinemaster:
smallP1010470.jpg

smallP1010471.jpg

smallP1010472.jpg

smallP1010476.jpg

Which I in turn sold to fund ze Rolex ;)

The Fortis was a decent watch with good accuracy, but I wasn't able to bond with it for some reason. They keep a good resale value, I sold mine for around 75% of the MSRP, same with the Stowa.

The Sinn U1 can be serviced by any watchmaker, the U2, UX and the U1000 have to be serviced by Sinn in Germany due to the case filling (Oil or Argon gas). Sinn offers three years of warranty on the "special" models which is handled through the local AD. The first series of the UX had a few problems with the oil filling which was resolved by Sinn some time ago.

Grifter

Nothing against the Marinemaster, I'd like a dive watch next (or a Ball), but the Fortis and Stowa you had are breathtaking, IMO.

It's funny how closely the Marinemaster resembles your Rolex, but you seem to have plenty of watches in that style.

Just making sure, the Fortis didn't feel flimsy or "off" to you? You guys just didn't connect?

Is the UX an auto? Having to send it back for a battery repair would be a dealbreaker for me. Probably not much of an issue for you, though. ;)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Grifter said:
Nothing against the Marinemaster, I'd like a dive watch next (or a Ball), but the Fortis and Stowa you had are breathtaking, IMO.

It's funny how closely the Marinemaster resembles your Rolex, but you seem to have plenty of watches in that style.

Just making sure, the Fortis didn't feel flimsy or "off" to you? You guys just didn't connect?

Is the UX an auto? Having to send it back for a battery repair would be a dealbreaker for me. Probably not much of an issue for you, though. ;)
The UX is not an auto, it features a high-end, chronometer-certified quartz movement by ETA which is considered in the top 3 of the most accurate watch movements currently available. Over the course of the last year, the UX was only two seconds fast. The battery has a life of seven years, servicing the watch including new oil filling runs around 90 EUR.

Yeah, I didn't connect with the Fortis. Build quality is decent, nothing flimsy at all. I would have preferred the bracelet to be a bit more substatial, though.

lil smoke said:
Yes that is a VERY nice piece. How much is that?

and is it automatic?

It was $1400-Australian as a set, with an extra leather and Velcro strap and some tools to change the straps.
It's an ETA 2893-2 Automatic. :reiarr

Grifter

Got the Pilot Pro, it was between that and the Stowas but didn't care for their bracelets. love your MM bracelet.

now I need a dive, know of any orange dialed ones besides the popular seiko one?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Grifter said:
Got the Pilot Pro, it was between that and the Stowas but didn't care for their bracelets. love your MM bracelet.

now I need a dive, know of any orange dialed ones besides the popular seiko one?
there are several choices, what would be the budget for it?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
OnkelC said:
The Speedy Pro Moonwatch is supposed to have a power reserve of around 50 hours, so there seems to be an issue with the movement. Take it to an AD and have it serviced.

Thanks Onkel, I'll tell him to do this if it's still an issue.

lil smoke

Banned
O SHIT look at that DOXA! Damn that is HOT! What is that orange material? Alternate bands?

I shouldn't be looking at this thread. Leaving.

Top Bottom