• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '17 PS4 Online League Thread: DOTA is dead, long live DOTA

LEAGUE NAME: NEOGAFFE
PASSWORD: JGAR

LEAGUE WEBSITE: http://daddyleagues.com/neogaf

Welcome to the 13th year of the madden gaf league! I'm going to post the 32 players currently in the league and the reserves. It was tough to pick the 32. I think everyone on the reserve list would play their games and would be good to have in the league. But remember there always seems to be openings as the seasons go on so that is why we have a reserve list. But first, some answers to your frequently asked questions (FAQ):

Q: When does the league start?
A: As soon as the updated rosters are available. This could mean a week after the game releases, it could mean 2 weeks! Who knows!

Q: But I don't agree with that! Didn't we miss a bunch of feature updates because we started so early!??!?111
A: No, we didn't. The only update we missed that was not applied to our league was the XP meter update. In order for us to have used that, we would've had to wait until December to start the league. So too bad, we start when the roster update is available!

Q: What are the advancement periods?
A: 72 hours! This is strict! However, this doesn't mean to stretch it all 3 days every week. Schedule your games immediately!

Q: Are we doing owner mode?
A: Fuck no!

Q: Will you be using a Daddy Leagues website this year?
A: Sure

Q: Are there trade restrictions this year?
A: Yep. Due to the "mistakes" of the past, there will be no more open trades EXCEPT pick for pick on draft day. This means if you are trading your first rounder for someone elses first and their 3rd (or whatever) you don't need approval. ALL OTHER TRADES must be approved at all times! Who approves them? Myself, CB, luke and phee. You need a majority. If it is a trade within one of our divisions, then it will be deferred to the other 3 commishes.

As commissioner, I want to say this up front-- No one is assured the right to stay in the league if they don't obey the rules. I don't care if you're ferny or drizzler or-- (smithers what's one of the bad players' names? BigAT, sir.) or BigAT!

I don't want a shit load of rules so for fucks sake just play as straight up as you can. You wouldn't like a bunch of bullshit being run on you all game so don't run a bunch of bullshit against others. Have respect for your opponent. I'll say it again later but if you are running the same passing play more than a couple times a game just stop. I realize that this is difficult to enforce with hot routes and what not but there's no reason to try to game the system. PLAY SIM BALL!

LEAGUE RULES/GUIDELINES:

0. CUSTOM PLAYBOOKS ARE BANNED! Use regular playbooks from within the game!

1. This is a sim league... to the best of our abilities. Madden is not a very realistic football sim when you get down to it but we have to make the best of it. You are expected to be a willing participant in the league.

2. RUN DIFFERENT PLAYS! This goes for both offense AND defense. If you are running the same 4-5 plays ALL GAME that is a problem. Run up the middle, run to the outside, passing deep, passing short, screens, drags, posts.... they're all there for you! Use them! I get that this is more difficult on defense because there are teams in the NFL that actually run 2 deep safety man for a good part of the game. But even those teams ACTUALLY throw in some zone defense, some blitzing, some other packages at the other team. Just mix it up. You shouldn't be running the same pass play 10 times a game.

3. Fourth down rules. This is a tough one that i'm hoping doesn't need to be spelled out more specifically but basically if you have a 4th and very short (1 yard or less) in your opponents territory I see no issue with going for it. Another scenario where I see no issues is when you are on the cusp of fg range. Lets say you have a 4th and 5 from your opponents 37 yard line. Is that ok to go for it? I would say yes.

Obviously if you are losing late in the game on your last drive you can go for it in any circumstance. DO NOT go for it on 4th down in your own territory outside of the previous instance.

4. I had previously posted a few people who had contingencies and they are still there but this really goes for everyone in the league. It was a mistake to make these things public and I will make sure that those issues are communicated privately. SCHEDULE YOUR GAME IMMEDIATELY ONCE YOU SEE IT IS ADVANCED! this game is not your job but we are all putting time into the league and it's tough to swallow when you are working on a tight deadline but your opponent isn't really communicating to work with you. There is nothing wrong with playing your game on the last day but there is something wrong with not bothering to schedule ANYTHING until day 3 and then everyone else is delayed because of it.

5. GET AIM OR PSN PHONE MESSENGER! This is huge because communication is so important. If you have AIM, please post your AIM username and I will add it to this post so people know how to contact you. Contact is key so PM your opponent, AIM them, PSN them. This will help to guarantee that the game is scheduled timely!

6. YOU WILL GET BUTTHURT! There are going to be games where you get a bullshit call or a bullshit play or your opponent gets completely lucky. If you can't deal with this type of thing then let us know now so we can get someone in here that wants to play.

7. DON'T RUN UP THE SCORE! DON'T STAT PAD! This should go without saying but it still must be said. If you are thrashing your opponent, just run the ball and run the clock out. There is no need to embarrass your opponent further or fling the ball all around the field, prolonging a game that for all intents and purposes is over. Just be respectful of your opponent. I can't really come up with a number for every scenario that is "blowout status" but just use common sense. For instance, if you are up 40 points at the start of the 4th quarter... that is a blowout. If you are up 10 points with 4 minutes left, that is NOT a blowout. I want people to be respectful but I don't want someone to let their foot off the gas early in the 4th and then someone gets a TD + an onside kick + a TD to cost them the game. Use common sense!

8. Disconnect issues. This will happen at some point or another. If the game disconnects in the first half, under any circumstance, you'll have to replay the game. Sorry! If the game is in the 2nd half and absolutely out of reach, the team losing should set themselves to Auto Pilot and the team winning can beat up on the CPU. Again hard to come up with a number. If you and your opponent have this issue and disagree then consult with the commish group so we can decide what needs to happen. Hopefully you can work it out amongst yourselves in a civil manner.

9. MANUAL CATCHING IS ALLOWED! this means you can use the Square, X, Triangle buttons accordingly. If this somehow becomes some type of horrible epidemic we'll have to review!

10. DO NOT RUN NO HUDDLE OUTSIDE OF A 2 MINUTE DRILL SITUATION OR UNLESS THE SITUATION ABSOLUTELY DICTATES IT! I'm not going to point out EVERY POSSIBLE scenario where no huddle would be acceptable but if it's a relatively close games outside of a 2 minute situation DONT RUN NO HUDDLE! if you were down 28 points early in the 3rd quarter or something then that is acceptable. But short of something outrageous like that just don't do it. It's going to cause a lot of drama and it's not worth it.

11. IF YOU START MISSING A BUNCH OF GAMES I WONT HESITATE TO BRING SOMEONE IN THAT IS GOING TO BE AROUND TO PLAY! what is a bunch of games? i don't know. 2? just dont miss any games and you wont have to test the rule out!

12. I say again, PLEASE REFRAIN FROM PULLING OUT BULLSHIT! We don't even know what the bullshit will be this year so it's hard to say. Now there is "eh that's kind of overly effective for what it is..." (inside zone from last year) and then there is bullshit ("Hey I just have this highly rated receive as my #3 because his OVR isn't as high as my #2 wr, who is honestly not very good! Stats are stats though!"). Please don't do this. Have respect for your opponent and the league. I have NO DOUBT there are going to be complaints, but i think we all know when a complaint is "madden being madden" and when a complaint is someone trying to get a one up by absolute bullshit.

League roster (as of 8/16/16)

1. fmt
2. cb
3. luke
4. phee
5. az
6. ferny
7. drizzler
8. crimson
9. lj
10. bigat
11. splat
12. smokey
13. greg
14. cola
15. lonestar
16. wellington
17. bowser
18. somnia
19. scottsullivan
20. eznark
21. tlbb
22. jabee
23. trasher
24. dcx
25. dmczaf
26. cheeto
27. brent
28. nightz
29. dietrob
30. bread
31. rinse
32. Birdles

Reserve list (IN NO ORDER!):
tlbb
dmczaf
mcneily
shake
randomzero
jacobs34
mastakilla

LEAGUE ROSTER

AFC East -
Bills - LJ
Pats - Cola
Jets - ?
Dolphins - bowser

AFC North -
Browns - scottsullivan
Ravens - Pistolpete
Steelers - DietRob
Bengals - Splat

AFC South -
Colts - Luke
Texans - Smokey
Jags - Greg
Titans - claude Dallas

AFC West -
Raiders - phee
Broncos - rinse
Chiefs - Crimson
Chargers - Nightz

NFC East -
Eagles - CB
Giants - AT
Cowboys - Somnia
Redskins - drizzler

NFC North -
Packers - Brent
Vikings - wellington
Lions - Trasher
Bears - Bird

NFC South -
Bucs - Soka
Saints - Lonestar
Falcons - DCX
Panthers - Az

NFC West
49ers - FMT
Cards - Jabee
Rams - bread
Seahawks - purple cheeto

As we have done in years past, if you choose to play for a team, and lose, then the team you get is out of your control. What will happen is I (or one of the other commishes if I am part of the loser group) will randomly draw names and assign to the left over teams. If you don't want to risk this, then don't play for a team and concede that team! Then you can pick one of the left over teams. If multiple players want the same team, tie breaker will go to the vet. If they are both vets then... I don't know. We'll have to figure it out!

Previous Superbowl winners/# of Superbowl wins:

1. FMT - 11
2. BigAT - 4
3. Rors - 3
4. Crow - 2
5. Ramirez - 2
6. DMczaf - 2
7. Wellington - 2
8. Mrbob - 1
9. Smokey - 1
10. Malleymal - 1
11. LJ11 - 1
12. Markmhc - 1
13. Soka - 1
14. CB - 1
15. Luke - 1
16. Crimson - 1

Also, we will likely have some type of "Free agency" list before we start the season. There will be some decent FA's in the pool, as there always is, so we want to give everyone a fair shot. More to come as we know it!

DMczaf

also i finally got around to renewing EA access in anticipation for thursday. decided to try out nba live 16... maybe i'm crazy, but in some ways the game controls better than 2k. i'm sure if you're a basketball purist you can find more faults with nba live but i dont think they're worlds apart

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
That was one of the more fulfilling pub games ive played in a while. It was pretty good dota on both sides.

Having to approve trades worries me so I just want to say a little bit. I hope you only deny very extreme cases. It shouldn't be about what you guys would do if it's your team. I just want some kind of clarity on that, or maybe I just want to say something before shit inevitably goes down. Trading is one of the best parts of the league and this just discourages people from negotiating if commishes start denying anything they themselves wouldn't do....

I'm sure you guys know this but I just wanted it said. There have been some absurd trades especially the I'll trade my entire draft for one guy nonsense, so I completely understand why it's been done. It just makes me really sad thinking ahead to our first draft day, it just got so much less fun than it used to be. :(

Having to approve trades worries me so I just want to say a little bit. I hope you only deny very extreme cases. It shouldn't be about what you guys would do if it's your team. I just want some kind of clarity on that, or maybe I just want to say something before shit inevitably goes down. Trading is one of the best parts of the league and this just discourages people from negotiating if commishes start denying anything they themselves wouldn't do....

I'm sure you guys know this but I just wanted it said. There have been some absurd trades especially the I'll trade my entire draft for one guy nonsense, so I completely understand why it's been done. It just makes me really sad thinking ahead to our first draft day, it just got so much less fun than it used to be. :(

Sounds to me it's to prevent Somnia from nuking his team for a few quarters

Somnia

NieR: Automata now announced for PC... I swear Madden is the only reason I still own my PS4 now (well and Horizon + FFXV because who knows when that'll come to PC)

THANKS SMOKEY for the update on a new thread, I didn't read :)

Somnia

Sounds to me it's to prevent Somnia from nuking his team for a few quarters

Eh, I've made one bad trade in my Madden tenure. You should go back a few years and look at some trades others have done.

Also I did better with Silva lol... I miss him, he was a good QB.

That and I'll never trade Romo (because he'll be hurt or retired anyways).

Top Bottom