• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3 |OT| Ninja Dog Revengeance

So, someone mentioned this on earlier, that you can activate special chain instant kill attack by:

Attack the enemy and when one is near death -> slide -> enemy bound on air -> quickly press triangle button so you can initiate chain bone-breaking attack that gives instant kill.

Does everyone know about this?

yeah, that was what we were discussing from that video above^^^

most advanced technique in the game haha

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
There. Done. My Xbox managed to survive this game's terrible conclusion.

And my conclusion? This game is worse for the Ninja Gaiden brand than DMC2 was respectively. At least DMC2 had some cool art design in there. This is just an abomination on every level. I'm pretty sure the franchise is dead now. Congrats Hayashit.

Man this game is such a breeze on master ninja. Once you figure out how to avoid the cheap stuff you are golden.

For the Baphomet grabers, all you need to do is either xyxxx, shuriken cancel, repeat. Or you do xx->xxx. The thing about these attacks is that one teleports you and the other puts you in the air, so they can't grab you in the middle of combos anymore.

For the snake guys, you can do the same thing, allthough it's better to just do xx->xx shuriken cancel, repeat on them, and dodge grabs accordingly.

Now the combo that REALLY wreaks the Alchemist guys is Running xx, xxxy. Not sure why this combo works so well, but they almost always get wrecked by it and all you have to do is land a few hits then izuna them.

Those are really the three biggest threats in this game. Once you learn how to kill them, everything else is a cakewalk.

To make MNM even easier, they tend to spawn around a shit ton of humonculi, so just doge around until they are all close together, take out a humonculi with SOB, then chain it to kill everything.

This game is a complete joke

Holy shit! This works like magic on hard mode!

rvy

Banned
"Be my Daddy_"

Daddy Hayabusa.

tumblr_lnvvueuSsj1qcj56b.png

This shit can't be serious. I think I'm going to buy this game when it hits the bargain bin just to laugh.

I haven't watched the full review but I'm assuming he likes the game. Is it so wrong for someone to actually like the game??

Edit: So I watched it, and he does seems clueless at some parts like comparing it to Gears of War. But the main idea is that he likes the game. I don't think someone should be ripped apart for liking a seemingly universally hated game.

Khalil

Neo Member
Just finished the game

Actually its good game if you consider it a normal action game but its bad if you compare it to NG2 or original NG

Good story and graphic gameplay is awesome though you are doing the same thing over and over they killed a lot of things like items and search and collecting stuff too bad you can't play ryu or momiji and ayane in the missions or online mode

1 weapon not boring for me in all NG games my main weapon was the Dragon Sword so I am used to use it all the time

and too bad I didn't get to try DOA5 demo cause the code didn't come with the game :|

I give it 7 out of 10

I haven't watched the full review but I'm assuming he likes the game. Is it so wrong for someone to actually like the game??

Edit: So I watched it, and he does seems clueless at some parts like comparing it to Gears of War. But the main idea is that he likes the game. I don't think someone should be ripped apart for liking a seemingly universally hated game.

This is neogaf. Your not allowed to like anything.

rvy

Banned

They shouldn't be ripped apart for liking something, they should be ripped apart for not knowing what the fuck they are talking about.

rvy

Banned
Watching the game some more, I'll give it up to Hayashit. The first stage of Epigonos is very decent, it's essentially a mirror of Hayabusa. Hayashit does fuck it all up afterwards, but that first stage isn't bad.

Kayo-kun

The Sigma Games and Other M where a good hint that team ninja is done. Wait for the grand finale: DOA 5 <: Instead of playing a fighting game you'll watch it.

Totally agree. I was even getting worried by some of the changes Hayashi and the new Team Ninja did with NGS2. Then all of the interviews leading up to NG3 cemented my worries about them being out of touch with their fanbase and not having the proper vision for a decent hack & slash action game. I am sure that they'll screw up DoA5 even if alot of people seem to be pleased with the demo.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Totally agree. I was even getting worried by some of the changes Hayashi and the new Team Ninja did with NGS2. Then all of the interviews leading up to NG3 cemented my worries about them being out of touch with their fanbase and not having the proper vision for a decent hack & slash action game. I am sure that they'll screw up DoA5 even if alot of people seem to be pleased with the demo.

Actually, I don't think you can assume that about DoA5. Everyone is having a shit over NG3, but the changes to NG3 aren't random for the sake of being randomly bad. I think it's pretty clear they were intentionally shooting for a different audience even if that was a terrible idea.

DoA5 is largely aimed at the same audience as past DoA games, even with a bit of extra cinematic flare. (Which can be turned off, in terms of camera, indicating they realize who they're dealing with.)

And while it's expected that a gamer hate train will roll over everything indiscriminately, I'd say 90% of what people hated about Other M had nothing to do with Team Ninja. As the production team for the game, they did an incredible job with the Wii. But they were just commissioned to make the game. Story concept, script, and even key design decisions were Sakamoto back at Nintendo.

Skilletor

The Sigma Games and Other M where a good hint that team ninja is done. Wait for the grand finale: DOA 5 <: Instead of playing a fighting game you'll watch it.

Have you played the demo? It's pretty damn amazing. Also, follow the director on twitter who is responding to criticism and is also involved with the community in order to make changes tot he battle system.

Why do people keep saying silly stuff like this? Powerblows are no different than supers or multipart throws in other games and they're not that easy to land against an opponent.

Why? lol. This logic confuses me so much. Seems like hating just to hate.

It was obvious from the outset with Hayashi's comments about getting inside Ryu's head that this would have a different focus (I didn't think they'd fuck up the gameplay, though). That's not the case with DoA and the demo is already significantly better than the DoA they put out recently, which tells me where the series is headed.

Kayo-kun

Actually, I don't think you can assume that about DoA5. Everyone is having a shit over NG3, but the changes to NG3 aren't random for the sake of being randomly bad. I think it's pretty clear they were intentionally shooting for a different audience even if that was a terrible idea.

DoA5 is largely aimed at the same audience as past DoA games, even with a bit of extra cinematic flare. (Which can be turned off, in terms of camera, indicating they realize who they're dealing with.)

And while it's expected that a gamer hate train will roll over everything indiscriminately, I'd say 90% of what people hated about Other M had nothing to do with Team Ninja. As the production team for the game, they did an incredible job with the Wii. But they were just commissioned to make the game. Story concept, script, and even key design decisions were Sakamoto back at Nintendo.

The cinematic effects reminds me of the QTE in NG3, which could also be turned out. We all saw how that ended. These types of settings disrupts the flow of the game in my opinion and it was the biggest problem I had with NG3. I can't imagine how awful it would be if they overdid these cinematic events in DoA5. Not to mention that they get old fast.

Why? lol. This logic confuses me so much. Seems like hating just to hate.

It was obvious from the outset with Hayashi's comments about getting inside Ryu's head that this would have a different focus (I didn't think they'd fuck up the gameplay, though). That's not the case with DoA and the demo is already significantly better than the DoA they put out recently, which tells me where the series is headed.

Why? Because I simply do not trust Team Ninja after ruining one of my favourite game series. I didn't really care about the "Japanese Dark Hero" comments, but the one that tipped me off was when he insulted games like Bayonetta & NG2 by calling them outdated etc. I guess QTE, slowmotion effects, and generic save the world storyline isn't outdated in his mind.

I believe I have every right to be sceptical of Team Ninja after their recent "accomplishments" ;)

Skilletor

The cinematic effects reminds me of the QTE in NG3, which could also be turned out. We all saw how that ended. These types of settings disrupts the flow of the game in my opinion and it was the biggest problem I had with NG3. I can't imagine how awful it would be if they overdid these cinematic events in DoA5. Not to mention that they get old fast.

Why? Because I simply do not trust Team Ninja after ruining one of my favourite game series. I didn't really care about the "Japanese Dark Hero" comments, but the one that tipped me off was when he insulted games like Bayonetta & NG2 by calling them outdated etc. I guess QTE, slowmotion effects, and generic save the world storyline isn't outdated in his mind.

I believe I have every right to be sceptical of Team Ninja after their recent "accomplishments" ;)

Yeah, but powerblows are nothing like QTEs in NG3. They actually have a strategic element and are difficult to land. What are you thinking they're adding to DoA? The cinematic levels? because you can turn that off. The hit effects? you can turn those off as well.

It's fine to be wary, I am too. But reading complaints saying you're going to be watching the game and not playing have no basis in reality.

The demo already shows a lot of promise, and nothing similar to the complaints being lobbied at it are present.

rvy

Banned
Hayashit isn't directing DOA 5. It's someone who has been working on the series since the first one. That and along with the fact that the response has been pretty positive makes me think DOA is safe.
Though I don't think that Itagaki remaining at TN would hurt DOA 5, like some people do. I actually enjoyed DOA 4. Great netcode. Game still looks good and runs great.

Kayo-kun

Yeah, but powerblows are nothing like QTEs in NG3. They actually have a strategic element and are difficult to land. What are you thinking they're adding to DoA? The cinematic levels? because you can turn that off. The hit effects? you can turn those off as well.

It's fine to be wary, I am too. But reading complaints saying you're going to be watching the game and not playing have no basis in reality.

The demo already shows a lot of promise, and nothing similar to the complaints being lobbied at it are present.

As I said the QTE effects could also be turned off in NG3, but they were still there, you just didn't see the button being displayed and the slowmotion effects leading up to these remained too. I am also not sure how you'll turn these options off, especially while playing online and in cases while your opponent might have them on. I can agree that DoA5 looks more promising than NG3 at this point, but I will think twice before buying into anything Team Ninja has to offer in the future.

Skilletor

As I said the QTE effects could also be turned off in NG3, but they were still there, you just didn't see the button being displayed and the slowmotion effects leading up to these remained too. I am also not sure how you'll turn these options off, especially while playing online and in cases while your opponent might have them on. I can agree that DoA5 looks more promising than NG3 at this point, but I will think twice before buying into anything Team Ninja has to offer in the future.

I'm confused. What QTEs are you comparing? There is nothing in DoA comparable to the QTEs in NG3.

Kayo-kun

I'm confused. What QTEs are you comparing? There is nothing in DoA comparable to the QTEs in NG3.

I am talking about the cinematic events in DoA5 and I'm not sure how they will be turned off completely. I mentioned the QTE in NG3 to explain how "turning off" these types of things doesn't always work as it should.

Skilletor

I am talking about the cinematic events in DoA5 and I'm not sure how they will be turned off completely. I mentioned the QTE in NG3 to explain how "turning off" these types of things doesn't always work as it should.

The cinematic events are triggered by power blows. The power blow is an attack you have to charge up. You can hit your opponent out of them quite easily.

If you hit your opponent with one, you have the option to aim where you want them to go. If you hit them off a ledge, the attacker has an option throw or attack, and the defender can guess this in order to negate damage.

I don't see how these are any different from supers or throws in any other fighting game. They also have a strategic element since you can control where you send your opponent (off an exploding thing for a free juggle or try off the ledge for the mixup option).

To be fair my comment was harsh and overreacting. Or maybe a little bit ironic ;)
They probably destroyed the franchise called Ninja Gaiden. And I was also thinking about Hayashi's comment towards Bayonetta and the NG on xbox. And then delivering such a piece of shit. Maybe it will be different for DOA, but I don't know. And to answer your question: No, I haven't played the demo, yet. ;)

Skilletor

To be fair my comment was harsh and overreacting. Or maybe a little bit ironic ;)
They probably destroyed the franchise called Ninja Gaiden. And I was also thinking about Hayashi's comment towards Bayonetta and the NG on xbox. And then delivering such a piece of shit. Maybe it will be different for DOA, but I don't know. And to answer your question: No, I haven't played the demo, yet. ;)

Like I said, being wary is fine. Just try to base such comments on things that might be true. :p

watership

There. Done. My Xbox managed to survive this game's terrible conclusion.

And my conclusion? This game is worse for the Ninja Gaiden brand than DMC2 was respectively. At least DMC2 had some cool art design in there. This is just an abomination on every level. I'm pretty sure the franchise is dead now. Congrats Hayashit.

Is this game even worth a super bargin bin/used/curiosity try?

Robot Pants

I have to say, of all the trials I've completed (I've done them all except UN01 and 02)
Master 2 is by far the most difficult to complete. It's so dumb. But now that I've done it - twice - I can probably do it again and again. But getting to that point took more hours than I ever spent on one single part during my Master Ninja runs.

Long story short, I don't care to finish the UN01 or 02, so I've done everything in this game.
I'm finally done with it. Time to wash out the taste with some delicious NG2....and Binary Domain.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Shit I paid a lot of money for this club card. It gives you a 12% discount on used Game Boy Color games and Cool Ranch Doritos at Funcoland.

It's fake

but probably more valuable than the real deal with those perks

(got scared for a min when someone replied to that post seriously :p)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, I have to be honest here, I played up through Day 3 in this game over the weekend and...I actually like it. :\

This is a not a good Ninja Gaiden game, but I knew that going in. Taken on its own merits, however, I'm actually finding it to be a fun, cinematic brawler with some serious energy behind it.

The fact that this game is considered complete garbage shows just how much higher our standards are, however. I picked up a huge stack of Dreamcast, Saturn and PSX discs this weekend for $6 (no cases) and tried out a lot of games that I had previously been curious about. Most of these were pretty average (or below average) back in the day (though I did get Astal for 25 cents). In 2012, however, they are bad to the point that I wonder how they were released at all. When I jumped back to NG3 after all of this it felt like the finest game ever made by comparison. It's really stunning how much better today's average/crap games are compared to what was considered average 13 years ago.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Man, I have to be honest here, I played up through Day 3 in this game over the weekend and...I actually like it. :\

This is a not a good Ninja Gaiden game, but I knew that going in. Taken on its own merits, however, I'm actually finding it to be a fun, cinematic brawler with some serious energy behind it.

The fact that this game is considered complete garbage shows just how much higher our standards are, however. I picked up a huge stack of Dreamcast, Saturn and PSX discs this weekend for $6 (no cases) and tried out a lot of games that I had previously been curious about. Most of these were pretty average (or below average) back in the day (though I did get Astal for 25 cents). In 2012, however, they are bad to the point that I wonder how they were released at all. When I jumped back to NG3 after all of this it felt like the finest game ever made by comparison. It's really stunning how much better today's average/crap games are compared to what was considered average 13 years ago.

Don't feel bad. I actually went ahead out of perversity and gave this a shot. It's not a bad game. As you say, it's a fun brawler and it sure as hell has a lot of energy behind it. However it does feel incomplete - as if the free DLC weapons they're adding were meant to be in it, etc - stuff like that.

It's not a Ninja Gaiden game, or really a traditional Japanese style action brawler like DMC, Bayonetta, etc. They definitely wanted to try and make a westernized casual fun brawler. But, it is fun. Its production values are pretty high for the genre, though it's no God of War 3.

It's also a very good point that the standards for an "average" game today are far higher than ten years ago. Average games from the past 2 generations or so, when 3D games in general were still crude and designers were figuring out the basics, are really bad by today's standards.

Today, you have to WORK to make a truly bad game. You have to be truly incompetent at every level, and despite all the insults calling Hayashi "Hayashit" in this thread, Team Ninja is still competent post-Itagaki. They can put together a good game that hits all the basic marks and checks the boxes.

But yes, yes. It's nothing like a "proper" Ninja Gaiden, tho that seems a conscious choice as much as the team being literally incapable of making anything like a hardcore game.

If they refocused on the hardcore tradition for NG4, they could probably make a pretty good game. Anything like Ninja Gaiden Black is probably out of the question, the team is just too different now and that's not even counting Itagaki.

Haunted

That's a good observation.

Standards have changed and expectations for design and production values are higher than ever.

That said, by 2012 and more importantly previous Ninja Gaiden standards, this is simply not a good game.

Really loving trials mode.
Going to start the game on hard once they release the claws...

I don't want to say too many good things about this game, because I'd feel I'd be trolling everyone here, but it is damn fun overall. Probably will end up being one of best action games of 2012.

As for weapons, I kind of realize they will only do blade-type weapons to be compatible with this steel on bone. That means no tonfas, lunar (unless they add blades at the ends, eg. Mumiji weapon). Also things like the chained blade or that giant sword wouldn't make much sense. What we might see in future DLC is dual swords and hopefully some sort of nunchucks/dual knifes (though already similar to the claws).

Revengeance ain't 2012

It took 3 years for PStar to make Bayonetta and Vanquish. Assume a similar turnaround for this.

:{

I know your right but after asuras wrath, this and DmC still to come, we have kinda been shitted on this year as action gamers. Im more hoping for a ray of sunshine in a early release.

Honestly, id go as far to say, if you ignore the B-tier titles like lollipop chainsaw and Blades of time, this is shaping up to be one of the worst years for action games this generation. Maybe 2006 was worse because nothing really came out. Maybe.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm actually still enjoying this game despite its flaws. While it's not really buggy, I'm feeling the same way about this game as I did about Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness. Just like NG3 there was something about that game which I found captivating. Despite the reviews, I really enjoy AoD quite a bit and I'm feeling the same way about NG3. It's difficult to explain why, of course, but there's something about it that's keeping me playing.

It's not a Ninja Gaiden game, or really a traditional Japanese style action brawler like DMC, Bayonetta, etc. They definitely wanted to try and make a westernized casual fun brawler. But, it is fun. Its production values are pretty high for the genre, though it's no God of War 3.
Honestly, to me, it feels like a modern take on the old brawler genre common in arcades and at home during the late 80s/early 90s. You know, like Streets of Rage or Final Fight. That type of game. The move set, while more complex than those games, is similarly limited and the game focuses on large groups of enemies with an eventual "dumb" boss encounter. That dinosaur fight that everyone was slamming? Yeah, that is absolutely something straight out of an old brawler complete with very simple patterns.

It's like they went back to that style of game while trying to deliver something cinematic on top of it. By the standards of any other generation this game would be considered good to great.

It's just a shame they are calling it Ninja Gaiden, though, as comparisons to the previous games definitely paint NG3 in a bad light.

Robot Pants

The DLC for this game is complete mess.
The claws are out, they are free for story mode, you can download the compatibility pack for free. But to use them in the Ninja Trials and online modes, you need to buy a 2nd pack for 240MS points. Then there is a Ninja Lite pack that includes some new unlockables for the multiplayer, and a few of the new trials.
There's also a pack for each of the new trials for every difficulty.
All in all there are like 6 different packs that divide up 10 new Ninja Trials, claws for the story and multiplayer, one new stage for multiplayer, and some new unlockables.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I genuinely dont see how people are enjoying this. It was uniformly terrible. If the 'immersive' USE TRIGGER BUTTONS TO CLIMB segments weren't one of the worst affronts to action games in recent memory, the games enemy roster having been all revealed halfway through and using cheap unblockable throw techniques with an absurd hit range should do it.

It is like chewing the cud, you do the same thing over and over again and it never feels satisfying in the least.

On another note, it felt sort of obvious to me that someone on the dev team absolutely loved the shit out of MGS4 and was a main influence on the game's settings and plot. I could see so much seeping in from it, that I don't think it could possibly be coincidence.

danmaku

The claws are out, they are free for story mode, you can download the compatibility pack for free. But to use them in the Ninja Trials and online modes, you need to buy a 2nd pack for 240MS points. Then there is a Ninja Lite pack that includes some new unlockables for the multiplayer, and a few of the new trials.
All in all there are like 6 different packs that divide up 10 new Ninja Trials, claws for the story and multiplayer, one new stage for multiplayer, and some new unlockables.

t231478_my%20head%20is%20full%20of%20fuck.jpg

Oh serious WTF!
Is this the publisher's doing?
I just don't understand where they get off doing this bullshit. It's one thing to charge for costumes, because they aren't really gameplay critical, but it's quite another to charge for weapons which should have been in the freaking game in the first place. Not only did they piss a lot of fans, now they are nickel and diming for things that could actually substantially improve this game. I hope there is a severe backlash and the DLC will somehow become magically free.

Oh well, at least we get claws for story mode *goes off to play hard mode*

Top Bottom