• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default 2 seems to be in the works (?)

Portugeezer

If the game doesn't make it over here, I will never give the company another moment of my time or a dollar of my money. So sick of this crap.

Surely SE knows the popularity of this game, even in the west... surely?!?!

Hell, let Nintendo publish it like DQ9 and it will do well.

nasos_333

Surely SE knows the popularity of this game, even in the west... surely?!?!

Hell, let Nintendo publish it like DQ9 and it will do well.

I dont know, the petition is not going so well so far

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...ring-bravely-default-flying-fairy-to-the-west

Only 400+ votes out of the 10.000 needed, i am sure if people knew about the game would have far more, but it is that

1. people are dissapointed in Square and dont expect them to listen to a petition

2. this game is not advertized enough and is old school (like that is something bad)

Portugeezer

Cipherr

Really makes me wonder if our barometer for success is a little... off at times in sales age discussions.

If BD is getting a sequel so quickly then maybe 250k or so is more than profitable for games of that size.

Really makes me wonder if our barometer for success is a little... off at times in sales age discussions.

If BD is getting a sequel so quickly then maybe 250k or so is more than profitable for games of that size.

It did amazing, most in MC threads said that quite cheerily.

Portugeezer

250k in Japan... I thought it would have done A LOT better.

I'm so confused, but I've just lost hope of localisation now :(

TBH they dont seem that high

What are the hardware sales of 3DS in Japan ?

1. sales were way beyond expectations; the game has been sold out for several weeks.
2. in Japan, it's not common for a new IP to sell so well. Bravely Default is the best selling new IP jRPG in a while.

It's like a 1:32 Bravery Default to console attach rate in Japan.

I thought Japanese gamers were supposed to me more informed, I guess not if what you say is true.

People were expecting the game to barely crack 150k very close to release. The game definitely outdid many's expectations. I think people severely overestimate the costs of making some of these titles.

People were expecting the game to barely crack 150k very close to release. The game definitely outdid many's expectations. I think people severely overestimate the costs of making some of these titles.

What do you think a budget like this would be? Let's suppose the upper boundary for budget speculation is $8 million (100 people working on it in total, those 100 people worked for two years at an average salary of $40,000).

That's a very liberal estimate of a budget on the high side. It was probably more around ~$5-$6 million.

Bravely Default has sold ~280k copies or so. Let's say Square Enix gets $30 in profit for every copy sold (after distribution and licensing take their cut). That's $8,400,000 in revenue for S-E.

So at the very least, the game has made up its budget and is making a profit for S-E.

vareon

TBH they dont seem that high

What are the hardware sales of 3DS in Japan ?

If I'm not mistaken, it's the best selling Squenix's new IP since Radiata Stories. (or opening numbers, I'll look it up for a bit).

Edit: Yep, opening number (150k). Then it has amazing legs for an RPG to reach 250k, not to mention Square Enix had to put the game on eShop because of shortages. Then there's the producer comments, the liveshow a few weeks back, the browser game, and this survey. This game is a success.

nasos_333

If I'm not mistaken, it's the best selling Squenix's new IP since Radiata Stories. (or opening numbers, I'll look it up for a bit).

Edit: Yep, opening number (150k). Then it has amazing legs for an RPG to reach 250k, not to mention Square Enix had to put the game on eShop because of shortages. Then there's the producer comments, the liveshow a few weeks back, the browser game, and this survey. This game is a success.

I wonder if beeing a success will increase the odds of seeing it localized for US/Europe

Square,

I never asked much of you.

I knew deep down that I was going to be disappointed with FF XIII but I bought it and played it anyway.

I watched Advent Children, played Crisis Core, and generally was part of the problem with the milking of FFVII.

I even played that Chocobo Racing game on PS1.

But this one game. Squenix, you owe us this one game. Then you can stop.

nasos_333

Square,

I knew deep down that I was going to be disappointed with FF XIII but I bought it and played it anyway.

I watched Advent Children, played Crisis Core, and generally was part of the problem with the milking of FFVII.

I bought FF13 too, special edition on PS3 and is one of the worst games i have played, or to put more specifically, one of the most indifferent

Even bad games may have some aspects i like, FF13 did not

And now that at last a unique games comes around, Square pretends US/European gamers dont exist

It is a rather terrible situation

nasos_333

Well, i cant tell how these sales are, but if the other ones sell so low, then seems BD did very well indeed

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Square,

"Give us money and we will consider it. Please support us"

A.E Suggs

The thing is that if Square does not bring Bravely Default, i will probably never buy a game from them ever again.

They will have the exact opposte effect with their nonsense attitude

See the thing is I said the same thing with Type-0 and yet as soon as they announced BD and saw it I was like crap! Square did it again!

So basically I've learned to just never say that as they'll more than likely always have something you want to play.(even if its not FF)

nasos_333

See the thing is I said the same thing with Type-0 and yet as soon as they announced BD and saw it I was like crap! Square did it again!

So basically I've learned to just never say that as they'll more than likely always have something you want to play.(even if its not FF)

That is partly true

Indeed that stance may change, but i definatly dont feel like supporting them the same anymore

For example after Type-0 and FF13 i dont even think of buying FF13-2, FF13-3 and FF13vs

They definatly lost that money there and i agree that is party due to the quality of their 3D games, but is also a part of pure dissapointment in general at them

For example i did not like FF12, but i still felt they were worthy of supporting by buying the special FF13 edition, while now i dont feel the same after all the neglect gamers outside Japan get from them

A.E Suggs

That is partly true

Indeed that stance may change, but i definatly dont feel like supporting them the same anymore

For example after Type-0 and FF13 i dont even think of buying FF13-2, FF13-3 and FF13vs

They definatly lost that money there and i agree that is party due to the quality of their 3D games, but is also a part of pure dissapointment in general at them

For example i did not like FF12, but i still felt they were worthy of supporting by buying the special FF13 edition, while now i dont feel the same after all the neglect gamers outside Japan get from them

I feel ya on that, that's why I mentioned even if its not FF at least the mainline anyway. However after I've seen that dragon quest 7 remake I want that as well. I promise if square gives us BD and or Dragon quest 7 remake I'd buy FF13-3 even if it is somehow turns out to be shit.

nasos_333

I feel ya on that, that's why I mentioned even if its not FF at least the mainline anyway. However after I've seen that dragon quest 7 remake I want that as well. I promise if square gives us BD and or Dragon quest 7 remake I'd buy FF13-3 even if it is somehow turns out to be shit.

The thing is that i kind of hate the move of most games to 3D, i love 2D art because makes areas look unique and not like the next 3D game

I feel many games have a flat art style, exactly due to lack of power in handhelds and the standard 3D graphics problems, like the similar flat lighting everywhere, or low textures, polygons and detail

it is rare for 3D games to look anywhere close to the variety and art of a good 2D artistic game and that is exactly what makes me want BD so much more than any other 3DS title right now

zashga

edit: kinda amusing seeing people begging for something thats obviously coming over sooner or later anyway. Everytime a major title is released in japan and isn't announced for eu/us at the same time, this starts all over agein. It's not like we had to wait for other big titles in the past....
I'd be very surprised if this isn't released or at least announced here by december 2013.

Wish I shared your confidence. Seems we're back to the dark ages of never really knowing which Japanese games will actually be localized. At least Atlus is pretty reliable... in the US. Square, Nintendo, and Sony have all disappointed us in recent years.

Jinko

Localise the first one and then we can talk >.>

I find it bizarre that these big companies aren't localising the game during development it would save a lot of time.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
congrats Japan, another great game you can play!

Top Bottom