• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Scene Drama Bomb: Dyad Dev Tweets Anger about Fish / Indie Game: The Movie

Gowans

https://twitter.com/#!/dyadgame

DYAD ‏@DyadGame
I'm pretty sick of people getting praise and credit for being full of shit, exploitive liars

DYAD ‏@DyadGame
No one's calling out @indiegamemovie on their bullshit, fake drama and curation of lies, so I will.

DYAD ‏@DyadGame
Its not ok to present the rambling lies of someone as truth with no hint of another side of the story...

DYAD ‏@DyadGame
Especially when those lies are attacks that are intended to hurt another person

DYAD ‏@DyadGame
That's not okay with me, and I'll never support any work that does that; whether the creators were conscious or not

DYAD ‏@DyadGame
The "other game" mentioned in the movie at PAX East was Dyad btw

DYAD ‏@DyadGame
I didn't want to talk about this until after Dyad came out and it couldn't interfere with the game, but the unchecked lies needed a response

Ben Hanson ‏@yozetty
@DyadGame I asked the filmmakers about that in an interview and they were just interested in Phil's story and perspective. Not objectivity.

DYAD ‏@DyadGame
@yozetty that's a cowardly response in order to over-dramaticize the film. With no interest in truth its hard to call it a "documentary"

Joshua Dennison ‏@herebejoshua
@DyadGame - You have to feel this way about most documentaries, right? Like, no one interviewd the owners of the buildings Bansky defaces.

DYAD ‏@DyadGame
@herebejoshua I agree, but that doesn't make it ok. This is a story I'm very familliar with.

DYAD ‏@DyadGame
@herebejoshua I would love to debunk everything, but I'm not qualified to - I am in this case

@DyadGame I hear you, but I don't blame the filmmakers. That movie is as focused as it can be, it would be jarring to jump to another angle.

@yozetty I agree it might make the movie worse, but that's a horrible excuse to propogate lies that are harmful to another human being

DYAD ‏@DyadGame
Note:I tried to meet with the creators when they were in Toronto to settle this privately but they weren't able to. I chose not to via email

Shawn A. ‏@anuchallenger
@DyadGame Yeah that whole shit is garbage. When I met the other creator, I was like... he seems like a cool fucking guy!

@anuchallenger If you're talking about the blurred out guy; yes, he is a cool guy. Dyad wouldn't exist without him

DYAD ‏@DyadGame
o btw, he didn't ask me to say any of this. I did get his permission though. I just can't stand the bullshit spewed from this garbage.

DYAD ‏@DyadGame
Also, I've received a great deal of public supprt from people and companies recently; these tweets are MY OWN - Shawn McGrath

DYAD ‏@DyadGame
@indiegamemovie "Phil Fish's ex-business partner asked not to participate in this film." - isn't that the *EXACT OPPOSITE* of the truth?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Definitely was the worst part of the movie, situations like that are never one sided and deciding to not even describe the other side of the issue was a mistake in my opinion.

Gowans

Watching this with the Mrs tonight, I'll be keeping an eye out for what's going on here.

Interesting this guys is so pationate about it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The indie "scene" is so full of drama it's disgusting.
Why even follow up on drama enough to know it's there? Just play games you like, man, indie or not.

This dude's weird though, not wanting to settle things privately over e-mail but going all out on twitter.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
There's definitely no love lost between Fez designer Phil Fish and Jason "6955" Degroot, who contributed music to Dyad, Super TIME Force and, at one point, Fez.

Fish and Degroot co-founded Polytron, but parted ways. I believe the split was not amicable.

randomwab

So, what's the lie, for those of us who are never going to bother to watch this?

Phil Fish co-founded Polytron with another dude who eventually left the company on bad terms with Fish. There was a big legal stink between the two over the company and FEZ, with some scenes of Fish blowing up over the other dude making it into the film.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Phil Fish co-founded Polytron with another dude who eventually left the company on bad terms with Fish. There was a big legal stink between the two over the company and FEZ, with some scenes of Fish blowing up over the other dude making it into the film.

So what's the lie?

Massa

So what's the lie?

The movie paints the other guy as the bad dude in the story and the DYAD developer wanted to go public in support of him, reminding people the movie presents a very biased and skewed version of the real story. It's as simple as that.

So what's the lie?

I haven't watch this movie but I have seen at least one documentary in the past 10 years (which makes me an expert). The lie is probably Fish is made to look like the innocent indie developer who was taken advantage of by the greedy, evil and manipulative ex-business partner

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Nobody would have known they were talking about this guy or his game if he didnt say anything lol.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The indie "scene" is so full of drama it's disgusting.

It seems natural that people untethered by PR and big publishers would speak their minds more frequently.

I'm sure there's enough drama to go around in the corportate game dev world; we just rarely hear about it.

Zia

I haven't watch this movie but I have seen at least one documentary in the past 10 years (which makes me an expert). The lie is probably Fish is made to look like the innocent indie developer who was taken advantage of by the greedy, evil and manipulative ex-business partner

It isn't, though. It's a rant by one of the participants in the documentary. There's absolutely no editorializing.

Nobody would have known they were talking about this guy or his game if he didnt say anything lol.

That's my issue with it. Nobody outside of that scene gives a shit. Shawn's put a face to IG:TM's Billy Mitchell.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
It's a video game. You should look it up on the internet. It's pretty cool.

I got a chance to play that at a PlayStation event. I wish I did drugs... because that game is going to be ridiculous on acid. Sober I enjoyed the heck out of it... though I could feel my eyes cross at points because of the colors and motion.

I've heard of rumblings of something about Indie Game: The Movie being fairly contraversial within the indie community, where some groups have distanced themselves from talking about it.

Surprised that it's blowing up now.

jett

D-Member
This DYAD guy should've heeded his original decision and stayed away from this.

Anyway, documentaries always play with the truth. Sometimes to the point where it is completely distorted and inaccurate, in the name of making something entertaining. I shrug at this, but I guess it hits this guy closer.

So the DYAD dev speaking his mind is NOT the ex-partner? I'm assuming this is Shawn McGrath?

The ex-partner is supposedly some musician. I'm confused now.

kylej

Banned
So his main complaint is that the movie over-dramatizes the situation, but he expresses it with a lengthy and vitriolic Twitter rant.

Ooooook.

Vibri

Banned
The film makers choosing only to include a rant against the business partner who left is the very definition of editorialising.

Selective EDITING = EDITORIAL comment.

I can also personally vouch for the fact that Phil Fish is the much less likeable partner than the one 'blurred out' by the film makers.

So his main complaint is that the movie over-dramatizes the situation, but he expresses it with a lengthy and vitriolic Twitter rant.

Ooooook.

Well I think his initial plan was to stay quiet, but then saw how over-blown Fish made the situation (talking about wanting to "murder" the dead and shit) so he got fed up. What social network would spread the word the fastest? Twitter.

Top Bottom