• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Gears of War 4 Beta Gameplay

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Skipped through it and watched some bits.

Looks fun, but graphically super underwhelming.

Could pass for a remaster IMO.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
That looks.. rough, visually, even worse than Ultimate?

Theorry

60 fps is a must. This one looks better also.
And its a real beta. Halo 5 was also 720p in the beta.

q40oItT.gif

nOoblet16

Looks like Gears 2 mixed with 3...and that can only be a good thing. Glad that it's not taking anything from Judgement.
Map seems to look a lot like Fuel Depot.

Obviously the graphics would look sort of simple since it runs at 60FPS in MP. People who do captures should take captures at 60FPS so that it shows the movement in its full fluidity.

Wow.. it's way more conservative than I thought.
I was expecting more changes on the multiplayer side too after seeing the E3 campaign demo.

A little disappointed in the footage, looks like Gears 3 with a resolution bump, nothing looked particularly new. Map looked a little bland.

Hopefully the single player campaign aiming for 30fps will impress more. Have always enjoyed Gears co-op campaign and Horde mode more than multiplayer.

Gonna assume the graphics are pretty early, this looks noticeably worse than Gears UE even. Gameplay seems like Gears 3 though, which is good. Does he change his loadout at any point? Wondering what options there are this time.

EDIT: Okay, carrying on into the video shows there's some issue with texture load (really staying true to classic Gears hahah), not worried.

Rocketz

I'm not too concerned over the way it looks right now. The game is almost 6 months away from releasing. I'd be concerned if the framerate is bad during this beta.

Des

Not gonna comment on the visuals till we get a better quality video at 60fps, the animations look jankier than I was expecting though.

zsynqx

Skipped through it and watched some bits.

Looks fun, but graphically super underwhelming.

Could pass for a remaster IMO.

Still early and it's 60fps MP compared to 30 fps campaign.

Look at the visual difference between UC4 MP and SP for example.

I agree it does look a bit rough though.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I mean. I thought Gear 3 was one of the most impressive titles last gen.

And it felt silky smooth too.

This looks like shit though.

And it's not just 60 FPS.

If Battlefront can do 60fps and look amazing with 40 players+ vehicles, Gears should be able to look decent.

This.
Honestly, I was expecting something on a whole different level.

Its Unreal Engine 4 this time around. And i really dont think that the graphics in MP will see a Boost. They probably want that steady 60fps. Which is cool, but disappointing for people who expected good graphics in MP too.

Irc Rod Ferguson confirmed to someone on twitter that the MP is 1080p60fps. So yeah. If they would drop the resolution, they probably could get some better effects into etc

Haven't played Gears for ages, but this seems to play/look almost exactly how I remember Gears 3 playing/looking, although it's obviously very early days I assume there will be significant visual improvements.

nOoblet16

I mean. I thought Gear 3 was one of the most impressive titles last gen.

And it felt silky smooth too.

This looks like shit though.

And it's not just 60 FPS.

If Battlefront can do 60fps and look amazing with 40 players+ vehicles, Gears should be able to look decent.
BF also runs at 720P on xbox One though, this one is suppose to be 1080P. Beside a lot of BF's look has to do with photogrammetry rather than actual rendering.

Lucifon

Visually looks abit rough. Those blood splatters look pretty bad/cheesy, hope they sort those for the main game. But then Halo 5 looked rough in beta - it's great to see more proper betas rather than demos with bugs hidden behind a 'beta' title.

Game looks like Gears though! Seems quite reserved in terms of changes, looks v.v.similar.

I'd wait until we get some proper footage though, compression on that video seems pretty bad. They should probably just drop the embargo early now or at least release an official video.

Top Bottom