• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Cameron: "I’m in the Avatar business. Period. That’s it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
How shitty is your imagination when a universe like the one presented in Avatar only has the potential for the story we've already seen told?

I think the people who were already sour on it don't want to waste any brain cycles on whats possible with the universe. Like me. But it is what it is. Dude seems staunch on his decision to invest in this series. Its just unfortunate knowing his abilities and the worlds he can bring to life and there's nothing engaging about this world for me.

Cipherr

I do have to say that I'm constantly dumbfounded at the people who say 'What else is there to do in that universe?'

How shitty is your imagination when a universe like the one presented in Avatar only has the potential for the story we've already seen told?

I don't get that either. Avatar left a lot to be explained, explored and delved into on just the planet itself alone. The other tribes, the politics between them (didn't they hint that they didn't always all get along?).

Theres a shitload of potential there. A really excellent story telling vehicle. Its gonna be great.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I think the people who were already sour on it don't want to waste any brain cycles on whats possible with the universe. Like me. But it is what it is. Dude seems staunch on his decision to invest in this series. Its just unfortunate knowing his abilities and the worlds he can bring to life and there's nothing engaging about this world for me.
Isn't it that he just doesn't care about movies anymore and just keep going at them to be able to finance his deep sea exploration boner?

I'm alright with that really, if more Avatar pleases some people it's great for them. I'm just waiting for the documentaries.

zethren

Banned
I liked Avatar and all, and I'm excited for the idea of an Avatar 2, but wtf...how can you stretch the plot into an Avatar 3 and "maybe" 4?

Are they not stuck on Pandora? I don't think there's enough room for interesting and meaningful plot for another 3 movies for as long as they're on Pandora. So that means they'd have to include outside influence, like humans coming back to Pandora and creating yet another conflict (though I feel like that would be cheap, and boring).

I don't know, I guess we'll just see.

I don't get that either. Avatar left a lot to be explained, explored and delved into on just the planet itself alone. The other tribes, the politics between them (didn't they hint that they didn't always all get along?).

Theres a shitload of potential there. A really excellent story telling vehicle. Its gonna be great.

But 3 more movies worth? Like I said, I'd love an Avatar 2. But I start getting cautious around the talk of 3 and 4.

I'm curious to see what direction he goes with the sequels. Hopefully it goes somewhere interesting with a twist on the premise of the first movie. Like how in Terminator 2, the Ahnold Terminator served as a protector in contrast to the role of the assassin he played in the first Terminator.

My guess is that the humans are going to return to Pandora, and Jake and the smurfs are going to steal the Avatar technology from the humans and use it to infiltrate and defeat them. Something like that.

I liked Avatar and all, and I'm excited for the idea of an Avatar 2, but wtf...how can you stretch the plot into an Avatar 3 and "maybe" 4?

Are they not stuck on Pandora? I don't think there's enough room for interesting and meaningful plot for another 3 movies for as long as they're on Pandora. So that means they'd have to include outside influence, like humans coming back to Pandora and creating yet another conflict (though I feel like that would be cheap, and boring).

But 3 more movies worth? Like I said, I'd love an Avatar 2. But I start getting cautious around the talk of 3 and 4.
Cameron has said that the sequels will also take us to the other moons orbiting Polyphemus.

Mudkips

Banned
I do have to say that I'm constantly dumbfounded at the people who say 'What else is there to do in that universe?'

To be fair, Cameron's imagination was extra fucking shitty when he pinched off that piece of blue loaf he calls Avatar.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
220px-PIIJTANW.jpg

Awww shit.

To be fair, Cameron's imagination was extra fucking shitty when he pinched off that piece of blue loaf he calls Avatar.

I don't think Cameron has a lack of imagination, I think he's just extremely good at knowing what the mass market audience is going to eat up, and wants to cater to that. He's probably less interested in breaking new ground for film SciFi (like he did with Terminator, Aliens etc) and more interested in exploring nature and creating his own romanticized version of it. It reminds me of Titanic, the result of years of painstaking research and personal fascination on his part... which resulted in a wholly fictional love story set aboard.

Pandora is an extremely well realized setting from a technical standpoint, and you can tell that a lot of people have poured their heart into making it come to life. I still don't like the film that much, though.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Except storytelling was Avatar's weakness.

CorvoSol

Why would I want to care about Avatar? Everything that happens in it was done like, way better in The Faded Sun, PLUS they had swords.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Avatar is one of my favorite films. Looking forward to the sequels.

legend166

I don't think I can handle another movie with the Na'vi again. I was already cheering for the humans in the first one.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't think I can handle another movie with the Na'vi again. I was already cheering for the humans in the first one.

It was so predictable, preachy and heavy-handed that I hope Avatar 2 is about looking into their sudden extinction.

Or failing that, doing the job better than the first time.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Why would I want to care about Avatar? Everything that happens in it was done like, way better in The Faded Sun, PLUS they had swords.

Well there was that mech with the stupid, oversized knife. Thats kind of a sword, right?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't understand, what would Avatar 2 even be about?

John Smith joined Pocahantes and her tribe of hippies by the end, that's it, that's all the story the world has to offer.

Considering there most likely won't be a new technology to sell the film on, I can't imagine Avatar 2 doing half as well as Avatar 1. The first is essentially a two hour tech demo, not a film; generic script, poor acting, mixed with some good action scenes.

Good luck tricking people a second time, Cameron.

There was nothing really wrong with the acting. Despite being zero dimensional, colonel mustache twirl was fun to watch.

Dont forget the bad lead, who has no charisma or the various other actors phoning in one dimensional characters (the greedy bottom line business point man, the nerdy young scientist, etc)

Aww A thread about Avatar where people attack the plot. It's been awhile. Next up on gaf a thread where people worship an average alien invasion movie with no tension, Michael Bay style action, nothing original going for it outside of having well known characters that most geeks have had a connection with since childhood, and... Wait, that thread is going on as we speak.

Saying the plot of Avatar is like Fern Gully/Dances is useless when the director said he used a well known story on purpose.

James Cameron has said, more than once mind you, that the sequel would have a very different tone and story.

Now the talks of an Avatar 4 scares me...

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
There was nothing really wrong with the acting. Despite being zero dimensional, colonel mustache twirl was fun to watch.

I thought that outside of Zoe Saldana, it was pretty terrible.
Aww A thread about Avatar where people attack the plot. It's been awhile. Next up on gaf a thread where people worship an average alien invasion movie with no tension, Michael Bay style action, nothing original going for it outside of having well known characters that most geeks have had a connection with since childhood, and... Wait, that thread is going on as we speak.

Saying the plot of Avatar is like Fern Gully/Dances is useless when the director said he used a well known story on purpose.
What's wrong with calling it what it is?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

James Cameron has said, more than once mind you, that the sequel would have a very different tone and story.

Now the talks of an Avatar 4 scares me...

He told a shitty, simplistic version of a well known story...cause it would make him the most money. I'll believe the next Avatar will be different when I see it.

Considering there most likely won't be a new technology to sell the film on, I can't imagine Avatar 2 doing half as well as Avatar 1. The first is essentially a two hour tech demo, not a film; generic script, poor acting, mixed with some good action scenes.

Good luck tricking people a second time, Cameron.

Avatar 2 to do twice as much business as the first film confirmed?

'AVATAR WAS SO SHITTY AND SIMPLISTIC, MY FRIENDS AND I ONLY SAW IT THREE TIMES EACH. :mad: '

Koodo

Banned
I was looking forward to him making that Last Train From Hiroshima adaption. Guess that's dead too.

I was looking forward to him making that Last Train From Hiroshima adaption. Guess that's dead too.

I was also hoping for that - but not before Alita. But my guess is that the Hiroshima film is absolutely dead in the water. There is still hope for Alita given this interview he did a couple weeks back: Video

It's a whole new planet i'm sure they'll come up with something. I just hope the next movies are a lot better than avatar which was very mediocre.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

Humans are stuck on Earth, yet there seems to be virtually unlimited storytelling potential in that setting.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
He told a shitty, simplistic version of a well known story...cause it would make him the most money. I'll believe the next Avatar will be different when I see it.

there is nothing wrong with telling simplistic stories as long as they have that healthy emotional punch. Avatar was very simple but I wanted to jump into the screen and charge these filthy humans along with the nabi or however the blue fucks are called. No other movie made me feel such simple emotions with such clarity. FIGHT FOR YOUR LOVE, BE OPEN-MINDED, PROTECT THE ENVIRONMENT, DON'T LITTER IN THE PARKS. It's as simple as it can be. And if he wants to express some more complicated ideas and whatnot he won't be trying to shoehorn them in some art-house movie which will be inevitable burdened with dramatic presentation and shit like that. He will talk about stuff as it is, be it Holocaust, eugenics, overpopulation, Monsanto, the erosion of gender roles in modern society or some rusty ship at the bottom of a sea.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Humans are stuck on Earth, yet there seems to be virtually unlimited storytelling potential in that setting.
See... this always gets me.

The people who want to see a fully fleshed out and in-depth take on the details of Pandora are not the majority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom