• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TressFX 2.0 by AMD - Now with hair, fur and grass physics

-SD-

Banned
Tress harder.

AMD said:
TressFX is AMD's realistic hair rendering technology which renders and simulates the physics of thousands of individual strands of hair. It was first used in Crystal Dynamic's Tomb Raider, released earlier this year. Now AMD is introducing TressFX 2.0, a newer version of TressFX with better performance and easier integration into games. Additionally research is now being done to use TressFX for other things besides hair, like grass and fur. In this talk we will cover how TressFX rendering and physics works, the improvements made in TressFX 2.0, and the research which will be used in future products.

http://developer.amd.com/apu/home/agenda-sessions/

Sessions > Gaming Summit

EDIT: TressFX 2.0 hair demo: http://developer.amd.com/wordpress/media/2013/11/TressFX11_v2.0.zip

Source: http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/graphics-development/amd-radeon-sdk/

I hope they implement it on many PS4 games like The Witcher 3 which has good fur tech on wolves, but I think TressFX 2.0 may surpass it with less rerssources. I would have fur on wolves with 30 FPS or even 900p rather than 1080p with old gen wolves, I mean

ibsjECZcZZqVuE.gif

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I thought this looked great in Tomb Raider but only in certain situations. It looked great in a neutral position, but it was otherwise a little too floaty, didn't stick together the way real hair does, and clipped through the model too much.

Hopefully they're sorting that out.

I hope they implement on many PS4 games like The Witcher 3 which has good fur tech on wolves, but I think TressFX 2.0 may surpass with less rerssources. I would have fur on wolves with 30 FPS or even 900p rather than 1080p with old gen wolves, I mean

ibsjECZcZZqVuE.gif

Furry wolf is quite terrifying in a good way! Looks great!

KKRT00

Alice does it with PhysX actually (the middleware). Both GPU and CPU accelerated versions.

From what i remember they said that it was their own algorithm, not physx library. And it was running on CPU.

Also we cant really compare Alice hair to Tress FX, its not the same league.

----

So? Will any streams be available?

Buzzati

Banned
"Ayo, corporate has informed us that we blew most of our money on next-genning the shit out of these wolves...yeah, shit is so cash, though. What are we 'gon fucks with? Quick-time event the rest of this mo'fucka. We got gamez to sell."

derFeef

TressFX was alright after some patches, would certainly love for it to expand in more areas and be better. Their Ruby demo some months back did not scream with confidence though - was not good looking at all.

I hope they implement it on many PS4 games like The Witcher 3 which has good fur tech on wolves, but I think TressFX 2.0 may surpass it with less rerssources. I would have fur on wolves with 30 FPS or even 900p rather than 1080p with old gen wolves, I mean

ibsjECZcZZqVuE.gif

Pantene's finally tapping into the canine market, I see.

Naminator

Banned
TressFX was awesome in Tomb Raider, but I really didn't like the crazy FPS hit from it.

ibsjECZcZZqVuE.gif

Yeah LOL I wouldn't count on that dude, the performance hit of TressFX is so huge that even if AMD managed to make it twice as efficient it would still mercilessly choke to death these next-gen consoles.

diaspora

ibsjECZcZZqVuE.gif

Not happening. TressFX is for high-end tech.

-SD-

Banned
TressFX 2.0 hair demo: http://developer.amd.com/wordpress/media/2013/11/TressFX11_v2.0.zip

Source: http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/graphics-development/amd-radeon-sdk/

AMD said:
The TressFX11 sample shows how to use AMD’s TressFX hair rendering technology for rendering and simulating hair. TressFX uses volumetric self shadowing, transparency, and antialiasing to render individual strands of realistic looking hair. It also uses the GPU to accelerate the physics simulation of each hair.

Version 2 changes: rendering is now deferred, much improved performance, numerous bug fixes, better self-shadowing, scalability options, modular code, porting guide document included.

ibsjECZcZZqVuE.gif

I have doubts that the console versions of the Witcher 3 will have fur tech the likes of that Gif. Thats going to stay a PC thing for the forseeable future in my opinion. Maybe by the end of the generation the PS4 might have something in place.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
From what i remember they said that it was their own algorithm, not physx library. And it was running on CPU.

Yeah, the cloth simulation and hair effects in Alice being PhysX-based is a common misconception.

I have doubts that the console versions of the Witcher 3 will have fur tech the likes of that Gif. Thats going to stay a PC thing for the forseeable future in my opinion. Maybe by the end of the generation the PS4 might have something in place.

A CDPR dev said that the effect may make it into the console versions depending on the resources available once the rest of the game is up and running, but considering the ridiculous performance penalty PhysX typically imposes, I think he was just being diplomatic.

Damian.

Banned
Please tell me they learned how to make hair look natural and not always moving even with no wind wasting precious GPU cycles. The first implementation was literally broken and looked like crap most of the time.

Top Bottom