• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl-Gaf - A thread for girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mista Koo

Dear Girl-Gaf, is it acceptable for guys to obsess over their weight as if they were girls?

I'm so fat :( *stuffs cake into his mouth*

Teknoman

Aeana said:
Have you ever gone into a Gamestop looking for a game and had the employee ask if you were buying it for your boyfriend?
Nerds can be awesomely condescending at times.

I try not to do that (had some decent RPG, fighter, third person shooter, and platforming conversations), and for the most part, you just have to ask "what kinda games are you into" to figure out whether they are there for themselves or someone else.

Then again, alot of Gamestop employees will assume you're there for certain games depending on your race (not really offensive, but can be funny at times)...though thats another topic lol.

Inanna said:
I think that's only an American phenomenon. Its a bit different here in the UK because lot of girls are into gaming and guys don't act shocked or act as if they don't know what they are talking about.

In the states in can be sorta taboo(?) to even admit you're into games at times...even if you're a guy. It's getting better though.

Zoe said:
Do guys normally go on message boards with female names and girly avatars?

Gaming side.

Kisaya

Mista Koo said:
Dear Girl-Gaf, is it acceptable for guys to obsess over their weight as if they were girls?

I'm so fat :( *stuffs cake into his mouth*

Depends. Usually girls like guys who want to take care of themselves. But sometimes they're turned off if they're over obsessive, especially if they start pointing out the stuff that we eat.

Example, my friend's boyfriend is very conscious of his weight and usually doesn't eat with us when we go out. It's fine usually but sometimes we get annoyed cause he looks at us as if we're eating too much or points out if it's unhealthy. Also if he drinks soda (that we happen to give him) he complains all day that it's bothering his stomach.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
_Isaac said:
Have any girls here (or guys) tried pole dancing?

Honestly, I just wanted to have these posted again.
http://forgifs.com/gallery/d/191192-1/Sexy_pole_dancer.gif
[/QUOTE]
At first I thought she was walking on a mirror or something, awesome.

ikkemenx

kisaya said:
Depends. Usually girls like guys who want to take care of themselves. But sometimes they're turned off if they're over obsessive, especially if they start pointing out the stuff that we eat.

Example, my friend's boyfriend is very conscious of his weight and usually doesn't eat with us when we go out. It's fine usually but sometimes we get annoyed cause he looks at us as if we're eating too much or points out if it's unhealthy. Also if he drinks soda (that we happen to give him) he complains all day that it's bothering his stomach.

I can definitely relate to this. Complete turn-off, makes you not want to hang out with the person.

Prax

noboysallowed.gif

I had to figure out how animating in photoshop works to make this. xD
Reminds me why I don't really want to go into animation anymore! Too many frames! (this is only like.. 6 frames. Haha!)

I had this thing:
51FjhTbzK-L.jpg

One of my first Barbies! I obviously named her Sparkle, but then I also cut and dyed her hair some kind of red/pink with markers.
What's funny was that most of my human female dolls turned into badguys because I didn't like super girly or "bimbo"-like things.

Kisaya

Prax said:
noboysallowed.gif

Reminds me why I don't really want to go into animation anymore! Too many frames! (this is only like.. 6 frames. Haha!)

I love this!

ikkemenx

Prax said:
noboysallowed.gif

I had this thing:
51FjhTbzK-L.jpg

One of my first Barbies! I obviously named her Sparkle, but then I also cut and dyed her hair some kind of red/pink with markers.
What's funny was that most of my human female dolls turned into badguys because I didn't like super girly or "bimbo"-like things.

I love it!

I started to think about Barbies I had when I was little and remembered this. Holy crap.

jKPgz.jpg

Played with her until she absolutely wore out. Wanted Teresa since she had darker skin xD I'm getting a crazy nostalgia rush right now from this. Even found the commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i0NeAb3i4w

Kisaya

BarbieMagicGenieBottle1.jpg

Anyone have this? I always really wanted to finish the game but I think at one point my CD got damaged so I never got past this one part :(

ikkemenx

kisaya said:
http://www.jeanniebottlereview.com/journal/NewsImages/Image/Memorabilia/BarbieMagicBottle/BarbieMagicGenieBottle1.jpg[IMG]

Anyone have this? I always really wanted to finish the game but I think at one point my CD got damaged so I never got past this one part :([/QUOTE]

LOL Barbie bong

Prax

ikkemenx said:
I love it!

I started to think about Barbies I had when I was little and remembered this. Holy crap.

jKPgz.jpg

Played with her until she absolutely wore out. Wanted Teresa since she had darker skin xD I'm getting a crazy nostalgia rush right now from this. Even found the commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i0NeAb3i4w

Ahahaha! NOW FOR A DATE~! <3
I love how nuts commercials towards girls are.

I remember I had this lovely stuff when I was little. I didn't even know how to use it, so I was stuck with a bunch of microchip cards with ugly people on them. :l Except I guess I HAD to like Joel. What a dreamboattt~~!
I dunno who bought be Girl Talk.. I must have only been 6 at the time.
girltalk1.jpg

ikkemenx

Prax said:
Ahahaha! NOW FOR A DATE~! <3
I love how nuts commercials towards girls are.

I remember I had this lovely stuff when I was little. I didn't even know how to use it, so I was stuck with a bunch of microchip cards with ugly people on them. :l Except I guess I HAD to like Joel. What a dreamboattt~~!
I dunno who bought be Girl Talk.. I must have only been 6 at the time.
http://blog.wfmu.org/photos/uncategorized/girltalk1.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Jason and Joel, damn. Never played this, looks like Guess Who though! CAN YOU GUESS WHO IT'S THE CLUES THAT COUNT

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
I just read something about this on the cover of a women's magazine so I'll ask about it here.

Why do women fake orgasms? I've heard them say that it's to protect the guys ego, but why would you care about a guy's ego if he isn't hitting it right? Isn't faking it just a disservice to yourself in the end because if your guy thinks what he's doing is working he's probably going to keep doing that - how would he know unless you tell him? Isn't it just better to communicate and figure it out rather than faking it? Faking it just seems like a form of submission to the desires of the man and I don't really agree with that "man of the house/the man is always right" nonsense. I mean, to me it only makes sense to fake it if you absolutely don't care about sex...

I don't know if you are all qualified to answer but I've always wondered about this since it's a topic that seems to come up among women a lot in sort of a cynical way.

B!TCH said:
I just read something about this on the cover of a women's magazine so I'll ask about it here.

Why do women fake orgasms? I've heard them say that it's to protect the guys ego, but why would you care about a guy's ego if he isn't hitting it right? Isn't faking it just a disservice to yourself in the end because if your guy thinks what he's doing is working he's probably going to keep doing that - how would he know unless you tell him? Isn't it just better to communicate and figure it out rather than faking it? Faking it just seems like a form of submission to the desires of the man and I don't really agree with that "man of the house/the man is always right" nonsense. I mean, to me it only makes sense to fake it if you absolutely don't care about sex...

I don't know if you are all qualified to answer but I've always wondered about this since it's a topic that seems to come up among women a lot in sort of a cynical way.

I'm not qualified to answer, I'm honest when something doesn't work.

Kisaya

B!TCH said:

Can't relate but I agree. But now from what I know girls are starting to flat out tell them that they suck lool

ikkemenx

B!TCH said:

I think this boils down to self-consciousness and fear of awkwardness more than anything. Yes, it's smarter and more beneficial in the long run to not fake it, but it's kind of like how people lie to avoid hurting the feelings of others or how people don't tell their significant other when they're doing something wrong (and just hold it in until they snap). It's not "smart" but when you're caught up in the moment it's "easier" and avoids less difficult confrontation. When I say self-consciousness and awkwardness I'm referring to the idea that when a girl starts sleeping with someone she might want everything to be perfect, which would include orgasming at the right time (what, you haven't orgasmed yet? What's wrong with you?) and they might even be scared that the guy would lose patience (again, not saying this is reasonable thinking).

Another sad possibility is that the girls themselves might not yet know what it takes to get them off, and in the need to participate in the experience and feel like they are acting in a way that is "normal" they just mimic one instead.

Prax

ikkemenx said:
I think this boils down to self-consciousness and fear of awkwardness more than anything. Yes, it's smarter and more beneficial in the long run to not fake it, but it's kind of like how people lie to avoid hurting the feelings of others or how people don't tell their significant other when they're doing something wrong (and just hold it in until they snap). It's not "smart" but when you're caught up in the moment it's "easier" and avoids less difficult confrontation. When I say self-consciousness and awkwardness I'm referring to the idea that when a girl starts sleeping with someone she might want everything to be perfect, which would include orgasming at the right time (what, you haven't orgasmed yet? What's wrong with you?) and they might even be scared that the guy would lose patience (again, not saying this is reasonable thinking).

Another sad possibility is that the girls themselves might not yet know what it takes to get them off, and in the need to participate in the experience and feel like they are acting in a way that is "normal" they just mimic one instead.

What if the girl just wants to cut sex short? Haha. I guess a fake orgasm would work for that too! Spares the ego, gets the girl out of sex faster, get other things done. >_>

y2dvd

Got any girls that regulary likes to go clubbing? I got a question that may seem inappropriate here and I'd like to PM if yall don't mind.

g23

European pre-madonna
Are u girls into guys who wear skinny jeans and generally have thin body types. Quite the opposite of the jersey shore looking muscle heads.

Opiate

Prax said:
What if the girl just wants to cut sex short? Haha. I guess a fake orgasm would work for that too! Spares the ego, gets the girl out of sex faster, get other things done. >_>

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

The current studies were conducted in order to investigate the phenomenon of
copulatory vocalizations and their relationship to orgasm in women. Data were
collected from 71 sexually active heterosexual women (M age = 21.68 years ± .52)
recruited from the local community through opportunity sampling. The studies
revealed that orgasm was most frequently reported by women following
self-manipulation of the clitoris, manipulation by the partner, oral sex
delivered to the woman by a man, and least frequently during vaginal penetration.
More detailed examination of responses during intercourse revealed that, while
female orgasms were most commonly experienced during foreplay, copulatory
vocalizations were reported to be made most often before and simultaneously with
male ejaculation. These data together clearly demonstrate a dissociation of the
timing of women experiencing orgasm and making copulatory vocalizations and
indicate that there is at least an element of these responses that are under
conscious control, providing women with an opportunity to manipulate male
behavior to their advantage.

Kisaya

g23 said:
Are u girls into guys who wear skinny jeans and generally have thin body types. Quite the opposite of the jersey shore looking muscle heads.

Eh not really. Can't be that thin.

g23 said:

Not at all. Plus the really skinny jeans make anyone under 6' look so squat.

ikkemenx

g23 said:

Don't mind. Skinny jeans don't always look extreme/emo (if the guy has calves they can look quite decent). And they vary in skinniness, too. Thin is alright, really depends how thin and stuff though. IMO best is lean with slight musculature.

g23 said:

You can't really generalize the entire female gender so easily. Different girls have all sorts of tastes, kinda like men, surprise surprise.

Prax

Opiate said:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

The current studies were conducted in order to investigate the phenomenon of
copulatory vocalizations and their relationship to orgasm in women. Data were
collected from 71 sexually active heterosexual women (M age = 21.68 years ± .52)
recruited from the local community through opportunity sampling. The studies
revealed that orgasm was most frequently reported by women following
self-manipulation of the clitoris, manipulation by the partner, oral sex
delivered to the woman by a man, and least frequently during vaginal penetration.
More detailed examination of responses during intercourse revealed that, while
female orgasms were most commonly experienced during foreplay, copulatory
vocalizations were reported to be made most often before and simultaneously with
male ejaculation. These data together clearly demonstrate a dissociation of the
timing of women experiencing orgasm and making copulatory vocalizations and
indicate that there is at least an element of these responses that are under
conscious control, providing women with an opportunity to manipulate male
behavior to their advantage.

I interpret this as: Yes. Faking an orgasm during intercourse is to end it faster. Ladies be getting bored.

Also on skinny jeans on guys:
Depends if you have the look that works with them and the kind of girl you want to be attracting.

What's with this turning into a "ask girls for advice about girls" thread? xD Dang it dudes, I am not sure I necessarily want to help you by bearing all our trade secrets!

ikkemenx

Prax said:
I interpret this as: Yes. Faking an orgasm during intercourse is to end it faster. Ladies be getting bored.

Depends if you have the look that works with them and the kind of girl you want to be attracting.

What's with this turning into a "ask girls for advice about girls" thread? xD Dang it dudes, I am not sure I necessarily want to help you by bearing all our trade secrets!

No matter what you do, Prax, no one must know about secret #234! Our gender advantages are at stake!

That's right, that secret.

Aeana

Prax said:

That's all these threads ever turn into in the end.

kunonabi

I'd like to ask one small question if I may. How does a guy avoid being put squarely in the "just friends" category? I don't really like asking a girl out unless I know something about her first. Walking up to a girl and saying " You're pretty, we should go out" seems kinda shallow to me. I've tried it but it never works. When I get to know a girl, we usually get along really well and I make a healthy amount of female friends but whenever I ask a girl out I just get wide array of excuses, I've actually gotten the washing the hair excuse, or straight refusals. I don't usually ask my good female friends out(I can only think of one that I asked) but I do occasionally ask the ones that I'm just getting to know. When I was younger I always had a habit of just running into girls who were in a relationship. We would remain friends so it never caused any issues. Lately, though they just aren't interested. I'd ask my female friends but I think I'd get a more honest answer from a neutral party. Any help would be appreciated.

I know there are a bunch of topics about this issue but I've been getting chewed out for bringing up old topics lately and this thread still seems to be fresh. The dating-age seems a bit too focused on "scoring" and I don't like weeding through a bunch of "clever" responses.

B!TCH said:

Probably a survival mechanism rooted in evolution. Also helps to ensure conception.

Prax said:
I will find this underground network of womanly secrets and upload it to the bay of pirates for everyone to download.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Prax said:
I had this thing:
51FjhTbzK-L.jpg

i had that one, too.

but really, am i the only girl here who played with boys' toys mostly as a kid? i mean, sure, i had barbies and stuffed animals and all that, but 90% of the time i played with ninja turtles and batman action figures and hot wheels. oh, and i was obsessed with spiderman.

oh and dolls, like little baby ones that come with a bottle and stroller and stuff? i HATED them. to me it was unfathomable how it could possibly be fun to pretend to be a mother. must have followed me into adulthood because i still hate babies.

Kisaya

kunonabi said:
I'd like to ask one small question if I may. How does a guy avoid being put squarely in the "just friends" category? I don't really like asking a girl out unless I know something about her first. Walking up to a girl and saying " You're pretty, we should go out" seems kinda shallow to me. I've tried it but it never works. When I get to know a girl, we usually get along really well and I make a healthy amount of female friends but whenever I ask a girl out I just get wide array of excuses, I've actually gotten the washing the hair excuse, or straight refusals. I don't usually ask my good female friends out(I can only think of one that I asked) but I do occasionally ask the ones that I'm just getting to know. When I was younger I always had a habit of just running into girls who were in a relationship. We would remain friends so it never caused any issues. Lately, though they just aren't interested. I'd ask my female friends but I think I'd get a more honest answer from a neutral party. Any help would be appreciated.

I know there are a bunch of topics about this issue but I've been getting chewed out for bringing up old topics lately and this thread still seems to be fresh. The dating-age seems a bit too focused on "scoring" and I don't like weeding through a bunch of "clever" responses.

What exactly do they say when they refuse you? Just wondering since you've gotten a lot of them. Most girls go out with someone who they get to know so it's not the fact that you're getting close to them is what turns them off.

cloudwalking said:
i had that one, too.

but really, am i the only girl here who played with boys' toys mostly as a kid? i mean, sure, i had barbies and stuffed animals and all that, but 90% of the time i played with ninja turtles and batman action figures and hot wheels. oh, and i was obsessed with spiderman.

oh and dolls, like little baby ones that come with a bottle and stroller and stuff? i HATED them. to me it was unfathomable how it could possibly be fun to pretend to be a mother. must have followed me into adulthood because i still hate babies.

People bought me barbies didn't play with 'em. Played with batman, cars, building blocks, etc. Then when my dad got me a computer, I was playing Lode Runner and Descent.

Prax

kunonabi said:

Okay, this is the last "guys ask girls for advice about girls" thing I will answer.

YOU CANNOT AVOID IT. IT JUST HAPPENS.
Maybe you are just not date material to most girls. Maybe they see you just as too friendly instead of sexy and mysterious. Maybe all the girls you want to date are the girls that don't want to date you. :l Really can't say unless I knew more about you, but I think my answers are the most plausible. Sounds like you just put yourself into a tough situation. Maybe you should just ask your female friends to set up dates for you or introduce you to their single friends.

AND NOW MY BOYCOTT ON GIVING ADVICE BEGINS!!!

noboysallowed.gif

TRADE SECRET #234 MUST BE PROTECTED AT ALL COSTS.

Oh, I played with PLENTY of boys' toys! Maybe because they were bought for my brother, but whatever. We shared them. They were practically mine since I was older. Haha!
I had a bunch of Hot Wheels and army truck stuff. Those were the best for when dolls went to war with each other! And some transformers stuff and other things like megablocks and lego and jenga in order to build fortresses.

I too HATED baby dolls and bottles and stuff. They ended being the evil whiny enemy masterminds! I never found any of them cute. They all looked so CREEPY with their rolling eyes and pouty faces and needed to be destroyed. >__> (but I love babies. I just hate baby dolls. lol)

Satch

Banned
i used to have a super saiyan 3 goku action figure

i traded it to my cousin for his x-men cyclops action figure

if i could go back in time to meet Little Me, i'd punt myself so hard i'd fly 2 galaxies over. that trade was a farce

Kisaya

I was very girly back then so I played with all of those :( But I lost interest in toys after I got a computer haha

Teknoman

Satchwar said:
i used to have a super saiyan 3 goku action figure

i traded it to my cousin for his x-men cyclops action figure

if i could go back in time to meet Little Me, i'd punt myself so hard i'd fly 2 galaxies over. that trade was a farce

Yeah you got ripped off.

rataven

g23 said:
Definitely not, but I'm also not into the extreme opposite either. The knucklehead look is a huge turnoff. Generally like tall, athletic types. Guy next door kind of thing.

And it's nice to see this thread! I've been on GAF long enough; might as well join you ladies. I'm probably one of the older ones (first console was the Atari 2600 so that should date me pretty well :D ) but my love for games just gets greater every year...while my time to play them seems to get shorter. Hard to keep up with a demanding career and social life, but I am a multi-tasking pro. Though, aren't we all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom