• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance vs HALO 3 (comparison inside)

MercuryLS

Banned
EternalGamer said:
If there ever was a image I would be confident enough to call a "bullshot" given my extremely limited technical knowledge, that would be the one.

That's funny cause they proved that the footage from the first teaser vid (where that shot came from) was completely real-time.

It's funny that people still think that footage was CG :lol

Madman said:
You never finished SP? There's your problem.

What level did you get to?

I haven't picked it up for several months, but I do remember that I finished my first jeep driving level just a level or two back (the one where you drive to the various "bases" and get out to go inside and unlock the gates).

soco

both games are fine graphically IMO and aren't really worth comparing, because they're both adequate in displaying what they need to display. what it comes down to then is fun which hinges on balance, net code, and gameplay types.

H3 at least has splitscreen online play, which resistance does not, and i know already that's allowed me to have a lot more fun with it as we don't have to take turns playing it online. Resitance offers a better experience for me at the moment, as our connection isn't all that hot, despite being "broadband", and i'm starting to experience lag in about half of my games, and H3 doesn't handle it well. i get it occasionally in resistance as well, but at least there, it doesn't jerk you around, which really screws up everything you're trying to do. that and some of the other bugs, which will hopefully get fixed, make it very frustrating if you don't have a great connection.

MercuryLS said:
That's funny cause they proved that the footage from the first teaser vid (where that shot came from) was completely real-time.

It's funny that people still think that footage was CG :lol

It may have been rendered in realtime, yes. But that doesn't mean that the final game image will look anything like that.

Going through bouc_emissaire's previous comparisons certainly "reveals" a hidden agenda at work, it seems mostly his "comparisons" are about how good a PS3 game looks.

Just saying.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
MercuryLS said:
No, this is supposed to me MC's model from SP:

halo3-3-lg.jpg

Damn! Lets hope so! :) My only concern is that if single player looked that good, why not advertise it more?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
This thread is a big ball of troll-nip just waiting to get pounced on (and it is already).

Love the work in the OP, great stuff. Not too sure how much relevance the comparison has, as I don't think we needed to see side by sides to know that Resistance looks better then Halo 3 (at least with what we've seen already).

RESISTANCE IS BETTER OMGZ DUH! LAWLY THE KING LAWLERS!!!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
tanod said:
You left out the snow level on Resistance?!?!?!!

i'm kidding although that level is awesome

One's done, one's not = invalid comparison. :/

The snow level is the showcase of Resistance, no question.

Francias Castiglione said:
Journalists were given a behind closed doors realtime flythrough of that whole area, so bullshot isn't applicable. Maintaining that level of quality all the way through the singleplayer game is another matter of course.

So I suppose it depends on how you define "bullshot." To me, any image that is being used as a misrepresentation of what the final in game visuals will look like is a "bullshot" whether or not it was rendered in realtime.

Ranger X

Halo 3 will probably means in the feature department but Resistance as a multi-player FPS kicks everybit as much ass as Halo2 did.

I'd say i prefer Resistance in the graphics/art dep. Some weapons too.
We all know Halo3 will win the features.

Halo3 will also win this thread because it's Halo. The following and fanboys are 10 times more numerous than Resistance's. Halo3 would be a garbage game it would win over Resistance under ANY comparison.

Proelite

EternalGamer said:
If there ever was a image I would be confident enough to call a "bullshot" given my extremely limited technical knowledge, that would be the one.

The entire annoucement trailer was bull shot. They were out to max out the graphics department because they didn't have to worry about AI, physics, etc. We have no idea what Halo 3 final is going to look like. However, I have a feeling that no one would be bothering comparing Halo 3 final product to Resistance because Halo 3 will evitably blow it away.

Madman

EternalGamer said:
I haven't picked it up for several months, but I do remember that I finished my first jeep driving level just a level or two back (the one where you drive to the various "bases" and get out to go inside and unlock the gates).
Keep playing. That would be my advice.

tha_con

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
Yes, let's compare a finished game to a beta with incomplete graphics. Excellent!

Show me a beta that made any improvement visually at it's final release, and I'll show you that it's the 1st of it's kind.

Halo 3 will look just like the Beta once it releases.

Proelite said:
The entire annoucement trailer was bull shot. They were out to max out the graphics department because they didn't have to worry about AI, physics, etc. We have no idea what Halo 3 final is going to look like. However, I have a feeling that no one would be bothering comparing Halo 3 final product to Resistance because Halo 3 will evitably blow it away.

I agree with this, except I think Halo will not be blowing us away visually (at least not in terms of polygon count, textures etc.). But will instead blow us away in terms of a sense of scale of the battles, draw distance, etc. All of which is perfectly fine by me.

Tieno

tha_con said:
Show me a beta that made any improvement visually at it's final release, and I'll show you that it's the 1st of it's kind.

Halo 3 will look just like the Beta once it releases.
MP or SP?

RubxQub

Proelite said:
However, I have a feeling that no one would be bothering comparing Halo 3 final product to Resistance because Halo 3 will evitably blow it away.
Oh boy...can we quote you on that later?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
EternalGamer said:

That shot is from a realtime demo that half the press in NA got to see realtime flyarounds of.

Oops! Why am I posting in here?

tha_con

Banned
Tieno said:
MP or SP?

MP.

And I find it hard to believe the single player will be leaps and bounds better than the MP. While I'm sure it will look better, I find it extremely hard to believe it will be THAT big of a leap.

Decado

Resistance looks a lot better at this point. Not sure if it will remain the same if the big graphical overhaul of H3 has yet to take place.

RubxQub said:
Oh boy...can we quote you on that later?

I'm not going to make a prediction, but why wouldn't it? Resistance was a Launch Title and an entirely new direction for the company. Halo 3 is... well neither. It really should look much better.

tha_con

Banned
Stinkles said:
That shot is from a realtime demo that half the press in NA got to see realtime flyarounds of.

We also saw real time fly arounds of Solid Snake for MGS4, and it got downgrade total.

We also saw "real time" fly arounds of Fight Night "Next-Gen" with all those awesome face ripples, when in the end, none of it ended up looking that good.

It's easy to do a real time "fly around" with no AI, no physics, no audio, just a visual engine.

Tieno

Stinkles said:

Just leak some screenz from Halo 3 campaign, we swear we won't tell kthx!
You can PM me.

RubxQub

frankthurk said:
I'm not going to make a prediction, but why wouldn't it? Resistance was a Launch Title and an entirely new direction for the company. Halo 3 is... well neither. It really should look much better.
Well...Stinkles just came in here and ruined my hate parade!

I agree that Halo 3 should be better. It's just a matter of will it be better.

Stinkles said:

As I indicated, realtime or no, I still consider it a "bullshot" if it is an misrepresentation of what the final in game visuals will look like. CG escapes this if is is obvious that it is CG because it is not trying to be passed off as in game.

The fact that this is realtime actually makes it a WORSE offender in my opinion because it is trying to be passed off as what the game will look like.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
m0dus said:
One is a complete, published title. One is unfinished, about 5 months away, and is available only as a multiplayer beta, with many graphical elements not implemented (shadows on foliage, destructable flora, weapons and effects, etc). It's rather narrow-minded to assume people are unsupportive of comparisons because of the 'platforms'. one is a finished game, one isn't. You wanna make the logic call here?

Then you compare, bearing in mind that they aren't exact comparisons. You are capable of factoring in different stages of development surely? I don't see why that has to prevent comparison

/devils advocate

Mojovonio

Banned
OMG yes!

SP shots of Resistance vs MP shots of Halo 3!

Oh oh, I also saw a shot from a cutscene in Resistance compared to a realtime shot of MC (where he's got his back against the wall)

EternalGamer said:
The fact that this is realtime actually makes it a WORSE offender in my opinion because it is trying to be passed off as what the game will look like.

:lol

How can it be a WORSE offender when we haven't even got footage to compare it to yet?

Steroyd

Stinkles said:

That didn't stop people complaining about Lair. :/

Anzu

Banned
Can't wait for the megaton trolling thread that will be the Killzone 2 VS Halo 3 comparison thread come E3.....

Remind me to buy some popcorn before the event :p

szaromir

Banned
EternalGamer said:
As I indicated, realtime or no, I still consider it a "bullshot" if it is an misrepresentation of what the final in game visuals will look like. CG escapes this if is is obvious that it is CG because it is not trying to be passed off as in game.

joker-popcorn.gif

Anyway, now we can see what Insomniac meant by "Resistance couldn't be done on Xbox 360!":D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Chiggs said:
Can we have a sales comparison thread between these two titles later this year? :lol

Honestly, I also think Halo 3 is going to be disappointing, visually speaking.

which is why these kinds of comparisons are fair game, and simultaneously pointless.

Are Halo 3 fans so defensive that they'll shoot down any negative comments? Surely if its the best MP FPS on the 360 (or perhaps any console) then it doesn't matter if its slightly outgunned in the graphics department?

Its like you aren't confident in the product enough to just let these kinds of thing wash over you.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
jokerpopcorn.gif [img]

Seriously, what good does this do other than fan the flames of the troll bakery (cooking up fresh insanity since 1985)?

Comparison threads are the new suck.

MercuryLS

Banned
EternalGamer said:

What if, maybe, the final SP graphics DO look like that? I know it's a ridiculous idea, but it just might!

Top Bottom