• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*SPOILERS* The Walking Dead TV show, leaks, and comic book SPOILER discussion thread

BY2K

Membero Americo
Characters are dropping like flies, at this point. There's what, 3 new characters at the prison? Plus the governor.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I just heard that Carol and Daryl die in the finale. Basically the way it was described was that Carol gets cornered by zombies and Daryl comes by on his motorcycle to rescue her but after she gets on he needs to clear a path to drive out so he goes for his gun in his saddlebag but it is missing which leaves him no choice but to try and drive through the zombies on his bike and when he does they pull him and Carol off of it and eat them both! Friend said he read it on 4chan. Has this shit been confirmed? I will be so pissed if Daryl gets killed.

Edit: Can you search for posts on 4chan? I think he is fucking with me. I have no idea what I am doing. Seems very disorganized.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I'm also completely fine with Dale dying next episode, his whole thing with Andrea was never gonna work on the show, and he doesn't even add a whole lot to the comics imo, so better off using him for a dramatic badass Daryl moment on the TV show rather than keep him round.

This is my broad "perfect" scenario:

- dale dies (aka no him and andrea), we know that's happening
- lori dies in prison arc
- andrea eventually becomes the awesome person she is in the comics, they are SLOWLY getting there, slowly and painfully
- Rick and badass Andrea hook up eventually!

don't think that's what the pic is

Ew at Rick and Andrea hooking up. She's ugly, annoying, and nothing can make her become a good character. He just needs to meet a female that's actually good from the start and attractive.

UberTag

I just heard that Carol and Daryl die in the finale. Basically the way it was described was that Carol gets cornered by zombies and Daryl comes by on his motorcycle to rescue her but after she gets on he needs to clear a path to drive out so he goes for his gun in his saddlebag but it is missing which leaves him no choice but to try and drive through the zombies on his bike and when he does they pull him and Carol off of it and eat them both! Friend said he read it on 4chan. Has this shit been confirmed? I will be so pissed if Daryl gets killed.

Edit: Can you search for posts on 4chan? I think he is fucking with me. I have no idea what I am doing. Seems very disorganized.
A lot of spoilers have been coming out of 4chan but this seems hard to swallow without corroboration. Daryl is Mr. Crossbow... seems like the only time he's used a gun in the series was last night when he blew Dale's brains out.

Misterhbk

A lot of spoilers have been coming out of 4chan but this seems hard to swallow without corroboration. Daryl is Mr. Crossbow... seems like the only time he's used a gun in the series was last night when he blew Dale's brains out.
His gun is missing because that shit named Carl stole it.

Even still, I really hope Daryl doesn't die. With Shane on the way out he's the only character left I actually care for.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
So, since Sophia died (And didn't in the comics), can we get Carl offed too? The kid playing him sucks, and the time between seasons will be greater then the time passing in the show's timeline, he'll grow and we'll have another WAAALT on our hands...

besides, the show would be better without Children fucking things up constantly.

Raoh

So, since Sophia died (And didn't in the comics), can we get Carl offed too? The kid playing him sucks, and the time between seasons will be greater then the time passing in the show's timeline, he'll grow and we'll have another WAAALT on our hands...

besides, the show would be better without Children fucking things up constantly.

Carl in the comics is the only kid I've ever liked in a post crisis scenario.

I wanted to drop kick the kid in The Road in the teeth. I wanted to toss the kid in The Mist at one of those creatures. And Carl in the TWD TV show does suck.

Lori's baby is probably a whiner.

bjork

They cannot kill fucking Daryl off. They'll lose half their audience.

Tumblr will EXPLODE if this happens, too. :lol

Plus, I always figured they would make him Michonne's uneasy love interest when she shows up, because then it creates tension when/if Merle shows back up.

Arment

Also... cast a chick on the show that isn't mind numbingly stupid and ugly. One hot chick with brains... is that too much to ask?

From the other thread. Couldn't respond to him because of spoilers but...

Michonne will be awesome for the show.

Hex

Banned
The Daryl rumor is complete horse shit.
A) he knows his gun is missing
B) they are writing him into the comic

spoilers were spot on which means if that Daryl one is right, I am going to be mighty pissed at 11 pm next week
highly doubt it's right

From what I gather, the spoilers for the finale are not out. The guy who spoiled the last few eps (and other episodes of other shows) specifically mentioned that he didn't want to spoil the finale because it was awesome apparently. Unless I'm not seeing something, it's not out.

Arment

I was really hoping for Carl to kill Shane. Why'd they have to go ruin one of the best moments in the comic?

Next thing they'll do is kill Hershel next episode to rob us of him finding his kids murdered.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
probably because they realized they fucked up the casting lawlzzz. She isn't major in the comics anyway, she is basically someone for Carl to chill with.
I haven't read them, but I just now looked to see who was till a live and thought "holy shit, she's still alive in them."

I was really hoping for Carl to kill Shane. Why'd they have to go ruin one of the best moments in the comic?

Next thing they'll do is kill Hershel next episode to rob us of him finding his kids murdered.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walking-dead-shane-dead-robert-kirkman-298224
THR: How important was it to find a way to stay true to the comics in Shane's death?

Kirkman: In the writers' room, we felt Rick was passive at times and wasn't handling things himself. So to end this season with Carl killing Shane for Rick would have been a misstep. It was very important to us in the development of Carl as a character to have him have a hand in it. That's how we came upon the idea of, in a sense, both of them killing Shane. What excites me about that scene is when Rick stabs Shane, even if you read the comic and you know that Shane is more than likely going to go in this scene, I always like that there's probably been about two or three other scenes in this series thus far where you're thinking, "Wait a minute, Shane could die right now, couldn't he?" That knife is still as much as a shock to comic readers as anyone who's watching the show for the first time having never read the comic.
Staying true to the comic and adapting things as closely as we can when it fits and when it feels necessary is something that's very important to me. I talk a lot about the different changes in the show and how I like and I support them and how some are actually my suggestion. That does sometimes scare fans and they're like, "What are they doing, he's changing too much." But it is something of a balancing act. When we can stick a little closer to the comics it is something I'm very supportive of. I think this is a scene that kind of straddles the line in a cool way.
I agree Carl killing living Shane would be a huge misstep based on how the TV show lead up to it, but I also think Carl should die in the TV show.

Arment

That was my exact guess on their reasoning when I saw it go down. Shane had been harping on Rick for indecision all season and so to have Carl do what Rick won't would have been kind of damaging to Rick's character.

Still, it kind of ruins that moment in the prison where Rick actually kills someone living. A moment Shane would have been proud of.

Arment

I wonder if they'll take any artistic license to Michonne. Imagine seeing that the first time but on the show. If they keep it just like the comic it will be one of the best scenes of the whole show.

masud

Banned
Don't forget the people they meet along the way. By my count, the prison storyline gives us: Axel, Dexter, Andrew, Thomas, Michonne, Tyreese, Julie & Chris
http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Comic_Series_Characters

Tyreese and his daughter and boyfriend were with them since before the farm. I think Darryl is gonna end up with Tyresse's storyline (including getting killed by the governor) in season three. But it's probably gonna be something different. The writers seem like they wanna surprise people that are reading the comics too, which is awesome.

I wonder if they'll take any artistic license to Michonne. Imagine seeing that the first time but on the show. If they keep it just like the comic it will be one of the best scenes of the whole show.

I think that scene works better in a comic book than it would on a tv show... We'd find it cool sure, but the general audience might find it kinda cheesy. The writers will have to tone Michonne down overall imo. Otherwise she would come off like Buffy the Zombie slayer.

Valravn

Why did Sophie die in the show and not the comics?

Sophia in the comics is more of a background character too. She is used though to further develop the relationship between Glenn and Maggie. In the comics its Carol who dies and Maggie and Glenn became Sophia's surrogate parents. The death of her mother left Sophia in a catatonic state for a while and she eventually repressed all memories of Carol and she really thinks Maggie and Glenn are her biological parents. The kid is pretty messed up, but totally understandable why. The death of Carol is one of the many fucked up shocking deaths in the comics.

GavinGT

Banned
Kirkman: In the writers' room, we felt Rick was passive at times and wasn't handling things himself. So to end this season with Carl killing Shane for Rick would have been a misstep. It was very important to us in the development of Carl as a character to have him have a hand in it. That's how we came upon the idea of, in a sense, both of them killing Shane.

The writers need to start focusing on crafting believable narratives first and foremost. It's like they always envision this one particular scenario that they think would be neat, and then they proceed to throw away the laws of logic and common sense to make it happen.

Shane wouldn't have picked that spot to murder Rick, Carl wouldn't have been the only one to race outside at the sound of a gunshot, Carl wouldn't have stood there silently as a walker approached his dad from behind, etc, etc....

Valravn

Carl wouldn't have stood there silently as a walker approached his dad from behind, etc, etc....

But it wasnt just a walker. Its Shane someone that Carl knew and loved. He was in shock.
I totally agree with you about the writing though. Its very consistently inconsistent. :p

B) lol what?

for real. Haha. how bizarre.

Norman begged Robert to write his character into the comic. And loe and behold this teaser image: http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17ffnn42yfvc2jpg/original.jpg

For one, Daryl is one of the most liked characters on the show, if not the most liked. Two, he mentioned this episode that he knew his gun was missing. Three, someone gave him another one. So this scenario doesn't seem very plausible.

UberTag

No reason Daryl can't be written into the comics as a character just as his on-screen persona is getting killed off. There are ultimately two distinct mythologies being written here that will weave back and forth between each other sharing some common events and diverging on others.

I'm not buying the 4chan spoiler "as it was written" earlier in this thread from Baron Aloha, either. And it has not been corroborated elsewhere that I can see.

But I can easily buy that elements of said spoiler ARE correct. After all, we DO see Carol seemingly "cornered by zombies" and we DO see Daryl riding "on his bike" in the only promo bumper released for the finale.

That's a lot of coincidental material to get right while still being "horse shit". He may already know his gun is missing and that spoiler can still be bang on about Daryl and Carol being ripped off his bike and munched due to a lack of bullets to use in Dale's gun. Just saying. ;)

CarolCornered.jpg
DaleonBike1.jpg
DaleonBike2.jpg

Valravn

It would fit into the inconsistent logic of this show. But nah it wont happen since Daryl is indeed one of the most likeable characters of the show. The people dying next episode are probably the characters you don't give a fuck about. Like Jimmy, Patricia and Beth. The last one would be a joke. She had suicidal tendencies, decided she wants to live and ends up as zombie food.

Edit: He is shooting a gun in the pics though....

UberTag

A gun without a MAG sadly.

UberTag does say:
"I can easily buy that elements of said spoiler ARE correct."

"He may already know his gun is missing and that spoiler can still be bang on about Daryl and Carol being ripped off his bike and munched due to a lack of bullets to use in Dale's gun. "
Going to emphasize the part I added back in there because I honestly don't know.

I could see the spoiler being legit if the shots of Daryl capping zombies initially are when he's retrieving his bike. (You can see Dale's RV being driven - probably by Glenn at the same time.)

They then head off in separate directions to try and rescue everyone. Daryl could then find Carol cornered, rescue her, run out of ammo and they need to make a hail mary drive on the bike through the zombie horde only to get eaten.

SteveWD40

I would be surprised if the kill off Daryl out of choice due to how awesome he is (unless they feel is getting to be a bit superhuman and they will lose the "grim reality" angle, much like Omar in the Wire) but what if Norman Reedus just wanted to leave?

UberTag

Here's another Daryl/Carol promo image for next week from Spoilertv.com that indicates they survive the night.
Or maybe they just filmed next week's shots during the day and darkened them with effects afterwards. In which case, Carol riding with Daryl on his bike for the first time could be construed as a BAD thing. ;)

001~199_FULL.jpg

This next shot features additional "survivors" of the farm assault:

002~157_595_watermark.jpg

Rick, Lori, Carl, Hershel... and GAF's favorite guy, T-Dog

It should be noted there's a daylight shot in the bumper for next week featuring Andrea running away from some unknown threat so sunshine may not indicate safety in the season finale. Just who leaves the farm.
FYI, I think the two of them are probably fine. If one wants to assume that daylight = stays alive next week and that Glenn/Maggie aren't in jeopardy that just leaves the rest of the Greene fodder unaccounted for.

I'll give Patricia the best odds of getting munched next week. She literally serves no other purpose now that she can't tend to the farm if it's overrun, the Otis storyline is done and she has received no other development whatsoever.

Here's an additional sneak peek ad for next week's finale.

If Daryl dies, I quit. Like seriously :(

But it seems like Daryl is taking over the role of Tyrese, if he survives and saves Carol, they can form some awkward relationship together.

SteveWD40

I doubt they darkened the shots, she looks a bit too happy to be about to plow through a sea of Zack.

I imagine they do survive, those shots were leaked and someone added 1+1 and got 3 (guessed the outcome).

Valravn

When they discover everyone is already infected in the comics, it was such a powerful and emotional moment. In spoiler tags; just in case.

Tyreese his daughter Julie and her boyfriend Chris wanted to commit a double-pact suicide. But Chris shot too early. And then Tyreese stumbled upon this scene. While holding his daughter in his arms Julie reanimates. And Chris shot he again. This action enraged Tyreese causing him to strangle Chris to death. After that he waited until Chris turned and killed him all over again. I mean he chopped him to pieces. Wow.

lol the full spoilers are actually out now, real ones, and good god are they amazing.

Shot opens in Atlanta: a group of walkers are feasting on what looks like Rick's horse, or what's left of it, when they're startled by the sound of a helicopter flying overhead. The horde migrates over several days, weeks, a great distance, and eventually comes to a fence. The fence bows and breaks under the relentless forward motion of the walkers. The herd presses on. Wandering aimlessly in the forest, the walkers turn as a gunshot goes off like a beacon, leading them to dinner. Soon they are closing in on Rick and Carl, as they leave the scene of Shane's murder.

Daryl and Glenn arrive back at the farmhouse. They explain that they heard a gunshot, and share their confounding findings about Randall.

As they walk back to the house, Carl asks Rick about what happened to Shane. Soon after, they notice the walkers bearing down on them, and it's not long before they are overtaken and have to make a run for the barn. Back at the house, the rest of the survivors are just figuring out that Carl is missing and walkers are approaching. Lori is panicking. Hershel passes out the guns.

The horde is making quick work of the barn. Rick dumps gasoline everywhere, busts open the door to lure the zombies inside, and climbs up to the loft with Carl. Carl drops a lighter into the gasoline-soaked hay, igniting everything in sight. Meanwhile, the men and Andrea shoot from their cars in a futile attempt to corral the herd and buy time.

Finally, Daryl figures out that Rick and Carl must be in the barn, and instructs Jimmy to drive the RV to the barn to rescue them. Rick and Carl manage to barely escape, while Jimmy is devoured inside the RV. Blood is everywhere, coating the windshield.

The survivors are starting to run out of ammo. The horde is too large.The women hold hands and make a run for it as Hershel makes a last stand for the farmhouse. They are just about clear when Patricia is attacked from the side and is devoured while Beth is still holding onto her.

Carol is headed off by a few walkers and backed into a corner with nothing but a plank of wood to defend herself. Andrea saves her but is attacked from behind and gets pinned under a walker. T-dog pulls his car around, but quickly has to leave the scene with Beth and Lori before the car is overtaken.

Glenn tells Maggie that the farm is lost; they have to get off the farm, now. Hershel comes to the same realization, almost too late, as a walker sneaks up from behind. Rick saves Herschel and they along with Carl head out in their own direction. Glenn and Maggie take off as well. Daryl finds Carol about to collapse from running, and they speed off together on Daryl's motorcycle. Andrea is abandoned. The barn collapses into the flames. And we're not even halfway done.

The group is now scattered. Glenn and Maggie switch places in the car as Maggie breaks down and can't continue driving. Glenn says they need to make their way to the highway, but Maggie protests that the herd came from that direction. Glenn finally tells Maggie that he loves her.

Rick, Carl, and Hershel arrive at the highway, where they left the care package for Sophia, hoping that the others will think to rendezvous here. Hershel is ready to part ways, but Rick wants to stick together.

Lori and T-Dog argue over where to drive. T-Dog wants to head to the coast, but Lori threatens to jump out of the car if he doesn't turn around and go back to the highway.

A walker appears on the highway. Rick is about to give up on waiting any longer, but… in the nick of time, the other survivors arrive. Time for a head count:

Shane - dead
Andrea - missing
Patricia - taken by the walkers
Jimmy - splattered all over the RV

Meanwhile, Andrea is running for her life in the woods, but the walkers pursue her tirelessly. She can't keep this up for long. Walkers are emerging from the trees in random directions as Andrea shoots to clear a path.

The survivors leave the highway, pushing onward, but soon run out of gas. Several people start to panic and are on the verge of giving up. Rick tries to pull everyone together. The conversation turns to Randall and Shane. Rick has to come clean. He reveals that the secret Jenner whispered to him at the CDC was that everyone is a carrier of the infection. The group is not happy that Rick has kept this from them.

Lori and Rick talk privately. Rick tells her what went down with Shane, and confesses that it wasn't just self-defense… he wanted Shane dead, he was tired of Shane dogging him and acting like Rick stole Lori and Carl from him. Lori freaks out when she finds out Carl's role in Shane's death and withdraws from Rick, refusing to let him touch her.

Andrea is exhausted. This is the end of the line. She can't carry her gun-bag any longer, her pistol is out of ammo -- she bashes in a walker's head with it -- now she's down to knives, another walker practically on top of her… enter Michonne to save Andrea at the last minute, towing two armless walkers in chains, samurai sword in hand.

The rest of the survivors set up camp in the middle of nowhere. They may have found each other again amid the chaos, but the group is still broken. Many are ready to run off into the dark and leave Rick behind, fend for themselves. They are on the verge of splitting up again, when Rick takes back control... he says they're not going anywhere; he killed his best friend for them. This isn't a democracy anymore.

The camera pans up… in the distance looms a prison facility.

End of Season 2.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Heh, this should be fun.

I will be throwing a party when Lori dies, seriously. Such an awful character. They should have killed Lori and kept Shane alive.

And finally, FINALLY, Michonne. Can she save the show? Stay tuned for next season.

Valravn

The opening in the spoilers describes the behavior of a herd.

A herd is when a group of walkers act with a mob mentality. One zombie might brush his hand on a door knob and another will see this and mistake it as an attempt to get in. Then he will beat on the door to get in, and the first zombie will see this and try to get in. This will spark a chain reaction.

As do helicopters or gunshots. When they hear a gunshot they just walk to the direction the sound came from. Or when you flee by car, they follow it even when its out of sight. They will walk for days attracting other zombies on the way and thus create a huge herd of zombies. We saw a herd in the tv series in the episode What Lies Ahead.

Horde.jpg

SteveWD40

WWZ (book) described the same thing pretty well:

When they are clearing infected zones, they have to factor in the chain reaction, that one zombie moans, a click away another hears it and moans, then another...

They can pull in thousands from a small enough group given time.

Top Bottom