• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Mass Effect 3 Kinect-compatible? [BioWare At Microsoft E3 Rehearsal]

Lakitu

st5fu
aqspA.jpg

This was up on the EA store and has since been removed.

Discuss.

Update:

me3kinect8e02.png

If this is true it will most likely be used in small ways such as moving planets with your hands for scanning, per say. Another possibility are mass effect mini games using it. lol

markatisu

Could easily be used for the mini games (mining a planet, hacking the computers) or going through menus (switching guns)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Interesting.

Thing is, I don't see what Kinect could do for Mass Effect. Voice recognition? Maybe for ordering your squad, but that's kind of meh. R6 Vegas 2 did the same thing, it was more efficient to use the buttons.

I don't see what it would add to combat, inventory management, or anything else. It don't really care if they do it or not, but I think it's unlikely.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, the omnitool sword on his arm is in the game, but was not revealed until recently, so presumably this is correct.

Snuggler said:
Interesting.

Thing is, I don't see what Kinect could do for Mass Effect. Voice recognition? Maybe for ordering your squad, but that's kind of meh. R6 Vegas 2 did the same thing, it was more efficient to use the buttons.

I don't see what it would add to combat, inventory management, or anything else. It don't really care if they do it or not, but I think it's unlikely.
EA did make voice commands for The Sims 3 Unleashed already, so it's entirely possible they just ported that over.

Jarmel

Banned
Other than the Kinect logo, that's actually a decent cover for once. Especially compared to the godawful ME2 cover.

Snuggler said:
Interesting.

If they let you order your squad through arm/hand motions it would be cool.

funny-hand-signals-7.jpg

Even if pressing a button is faster and more convenient lol

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I think it will be one of two things..

-Romancing characters now with your hands and penis
or
-Use Kinect as a mic for multiplayer mode

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Snuggler said:
Interesting.

You can silence people during long speeches by showing them a middle finger.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Snuggler said:
Interesting.

I guess biotics? I thought MS was planning on updating the kinect to work with a controller at the same time, otherwise I don't really see it doing much if this is even true.

Totobeni said:
I think it will be one of two things..

-Romancing characters now with your hands and penis
or
-Use Kinect as a mic for multiplayer mode

The kinect can work as a mic for any game, they wouldn't put the bar on the case if that's it.

Afrikan

I wonder if Microsoft would start money hatting for Motion Control exclusives for multiplat games....I wouldn't put it past them. Especially if the other console motion option might be implemented better.

Mindlog

Quoting yourself is tacky so I'll leave this unattributed snippet.
Bioware has a habit of releasing mini-games ahead of the release date. I'm really crossing my fingers for a downloadable Kinect/Webcam dance game. We can import our dances into the ME3 victory rave.
Yup. I AM easy to please.

LQX

BlueSummers said:
If this is true it will most likely be used in small ways such as moving planets with your hands for scanning, per say. Another possibility are mass effect mini games using it. lol
Now that would actually be cool as the map in the game is manipulated like you would some Kintect software.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm honestly curious how this would work. Using it for sci-fi-esque menu navigation would be awesome, I'm picturing the map from ME1

TheOddOne

Afrikan said:
I wonder if Microsoft would start money hatting for Motion Control exclusives for multiplat games....I wouldn't put it past them. Especially if the other console motion option might be implemented better.
Well there have been MOVE exclusive things done before, right? So, yeah.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Jarmel said:
Other than the Kinect logo, that's actually a decent cover for once. Especially compared to the godawful ME2 cover.

I hate it, another render of default Shepard with a scowl on his face. It's almost as bad as the ME2 cover.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Jarmel

Banned
Snuggler said:
I hate it, another render of default Shepard with a scowl on his face. It's almost as bad as the ME2 cover.

The covers will always have default Shepard. That's a given at this point. The background though and the art just seem to mesh better compared to the atrocious ME2 one.

Here's what Bioware have had to say about Kinect in the past: "We're not going to do a party game, we're not going to do Dance Dance Krogan for Mass Effect. The reality is it's going to have a really positive impact. Can we create a greater sense of immersion during conversations by using gestures? I think we probably could and I think that's where we'll explore." Bioware boss Greg Zeschuk told GamesIndustry.biz last year.

And BioWare co-founder Ray Muzyka: "You could bolt it on, do it as afterthought, kind of 'Hey, Ta-dah! It's Kinect-enabled! Check!' Well, that's not how we would do it. We would actually try to think about how you do it in a way that actually makes the game better."

Mindlog

V_Ben said:
If it lets me yell "good", "nasty" or "badass" at my tv, that'll be amusing.
I'm hope for some throwbacks. I've lost shield! Taking cover. I will destroy you!

They could also use Kinect to get the paramour achievement.

Jarmel

Banned
InaudibleWhispa said:
Here's what Bioware have had to say about Kinect in the past: "We're not going to do a party game, we're not going to do Dance Dance Krogan for Mass Effect. The reality is it's going to have a really positive impact. Can we create a greater sense of immersion during conversations by using gestures? I think we probably could and I think that's where we'll explore." Bioware boss Greg Zeschuk told GamesIndustry.biz last year.

And BioWare co-founder Ray Muzyka: "You could bolt it on, do it as afterthought, kind of 'Hey, Ta-dah! It's Kinect-enabled! Check!' Well, that's not how we would do it. We would actually try to think about how you do it in a way that actually makes the game better."

It'll probably tie into the interrupt system. Punch to punch someone, laugh to laugh, etc.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Yes. Finally I can scan planets by hand.

Seriously though, they could have you read the lines instead of selecting them.

Grisby

The_Technomancer said:
I'm honestly curious how this would work. Using it for sci-fi-esque menu navigation would be awesome, I'm picturing the map from ME1

Yeah, my first thought. Could be awesome.

Damn, I wish they would make an XBLA mass effect RTS or something using Kinect.

Lakitu

st5fu
Jarmel said:
The covers will always have default Shepard. That's a given at this point. The background though and the art just seem to mesh better compared to the atrocious ME2 one.

Yeah I agree. I don't hate it, it's about what I expected. The ME 2 cover was so fucking bad that it made me jump to the limited edition just to avoid having that shitty cover in my collection. This isn't anywhere near as bad. Resembles ME 1's cover a little bit I suppose.

Top Bottom