• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 News Thread of BE ADVISED: Reviews On Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
firehawk12 said:
I don't know anything about the Nordic art scene, but I have to imagine there will be films, novels, art installations about that subject soon enough - maybe on the anniversary of the event.

Meanwhile, they can't even figure out how to put civilians into a fictional game where you probably slaughter thousands of Russian soldiers.

I know, I know, games are not art so it shouldn't matter or something.

I think they're like MGS4 or Heavy Rain. Really good single moments wrapped around a lot of shitty writing.

They can figure out they just don't believe in putting civilians in the game and I agree with them. What I would say is they should be releasing mod tools and if that happens let others put in civilians.

firehawk12 said:
I don't know anything about the Nordic art scene, but I have to imagine there will be films, novels, art installations about that subject soon enough - maybe on the anniversary of the event.

Meanwhile, they can't even figure out how to put civilians into a fictional game where you probably slaughter thousands of Russian soldiers.

I know, I know, games are not art so it shouldn't matter or something..

Huh? Your previous post mentions that DICE left civs out due to sensitivities about players killing them, and here you chalk it up to tech deficiencies. Make up your mind.

In any regard, civilians have never been in a battlefield game. That region of the world was rocked by the recent massacre, if any deliberate decision about cutting that kind of content was made, I would bet it was due to sensitivities around that event.

firehawk12 said:
I think they're like MGS4 or Heavy Rain. Really good single moments wrapped around a lot of shitty writing.
Pretty much. There are a lot of innovative and really original ideas in the stories. Now playing as a character who dies is played out, but in 2007? I loved the sequence where you play as the executed president and the soldier who dies in the nuke blast.

BC2 had nothing like that whatsoever. It didn't even succeed as a dumb action film kinda campaign. It was just bland from start to finish. I'm not sure what to think of what I've seen of BF3's story so far. In many ways it looks like an improvements with much better setpieces, but I don't know if DICE are capable of doing those epic setpieces/moments which really makes the Infinity Ward games memorable.

I know BF3 is mostly about MP, but if the SP isn't a huge improvement over BC2 I'll be pretty sad. It is half of the game, afterall.

matt05891

Nostalgia~4ever said:
it does suck to work 7 days a week 16 hours a day or whatever, but hopefully it ends up rewarding.
Terrible hours but imagine if they were paid HOURLY? 72 hours a week of overtime. Too bad most are salaried in anyway or are considered "independent contractors" for some testers so they don't get overtime. I hope their bonus at the end pays for this.

Enosh

Mr. Snrub said:
Well...it IS a deployable spawn point. Any better ideas on balancing it?
then why isn't it a problem indors, it will just be annoying if some dumbshit is squad leader and places the thing somewhere in the open, otherwise you can just place it in the nearest building

the thing doesn't sound like a balance fix at all, it just sounds like another style over substance thing

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm excited about the possibility of CTF. Seems like they scaled back on some features to get the game shipped on time though.

Nizz

Nostalgia~4ever said:
a friend who works at starbreeze says that dice is panicking to fix everything before release. Unbelievable crunch time for them right now.
Damn. And their release date is set in stone too. Maybe it probably wouldn't have made much difference but maybe they should have released a week later? First week of November?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Radar beacon sounds fine... I mean if it's gone when you die, it's pretty much just like regular old squad spawn, except now you have to parachute in lol.

Not as bad as I first imagined. No one will use it.

Not near my comp now, but I think another tweet of his mentions that they haven't yet finalized the unlock order. Maybe beta feedback will help?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Mr. Snrub said:
Not near my comp now, but I think another tweet of his mentions that they haven't yet finalized the unlock order. Maybe beta feedback will help?
I'm really surprised about that. I figured that the order would be locked down by now, there would just be tweaking to the amount of points to unlock them.

mr_nothin

Banned
if you spawn on Radio Beacon outdoors, you parachute in. If indoors, you just spawn
Sounds good. If it HAS to be implemented then that seems like the only way it would work. =]
Now take out full squad spawning.

Evolved1

RoboPlato said:
I'm really surprised about that. I figured that the order would be locked down by now, there would just be tweaking to the amount of points to unlock them.

Well... it's no longer per kit. Now that things unlock per weapon, you kind of have to consider the context/usefulness of unlocks on a weapon by weapon basis, in addition to thinking about specs for kits.

Hopefully they are doing this... as you'd expect different order of unlocks for a sniper rifle vs SMG. And different specs for recon vs engineer, for example.

mr_nothin said:
Sounds good. If it HAS to be implemented then that seems like the only way it would work. =]
Now take out full squad spawning.

I'd think this beacon basically confirms they've ditched the full squad spawning... I mean it'd be completely redundant (and actually a disadvantage) otherwise. Unless I'm misunderstanding something?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Evolved1 said:
Well... it's no longer per kit. Now that things unlock per weapon, you kind of have to consider the context/usefulness of unlocks on a weapon by weapon basis, in addition to thinking about specs for kits.

Hopefully they are doing this... as you'd expect different order of unlocks for a sniper rifle vs SMG. And different specs for recon vs engineer, for example.
True, that stuff probably still needs to be sorted out. I figured the gun order would be planned out by now though.

Nostalgia~4ever said:
a friend who works at starbreeze says that dice is panicking to fix everything before release. Unbelievable crunch time for them right now.

Ugh, best to wait 2 or 3 patches before buying then, it'll have tons of problems.

Humans aren't machines, you can't work them 16/7 and expect quality work and high productivity.

The fuck are they rushing it for anyhow.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
SneakyStephan said:
Ugh, best to wait 2 or 3 patches before buying then, it'll have tons of problems.

Humans aren't machines, you can't work them 16/7 and expect quality work and high productivity.

EA won't let them ship after MW3.

DTKT

SneakyStephan said:

Beating MW3 in the release calendar.

A shitty launch would be bad, but they won't be that "second generic war game" (Not that MW3 is, I just mean that DICE are the "first" ones in.)

Nizz

SneakyStephan said:

This is why I've mentioned it before how worried I am that DICE seem to be going down to the wire with this game. I hope in the end it turns out great.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Around what time of day (EST) are the battleblogs usually posted? In case this one is important, I want to be there right when it happens.

Stallion Free said:
I honestly don't think I could find any job rewarding enough to warrant those hours.

I don't know, I've worked a few 90+ hour weeks, and while they are hard to endure, completing and finalising a deal is a great feeling. I imagine its a similar feeling in game development.

Hopefully they get a good bonus come December.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
GrizzNKev said:
Around what time of day (EST) are the battleblogs usually posted? In case this one is important, I want to be there right when it happens.
It varies. Usually between 9AM and 3PM EST. I see them right away since I follow them on Facebook.

Megasoum

Banned
It's funny how you guys think that DICE are the only game developpers who are in crunch time 24/7 for the last couple of weeks before the game comes out...

It's the same thing with every AAA games. Following some of you guy's logic some games would just always get pushed back and would never get released.

mr_nothin

Banned
Evolved1 said:
I'd think this beacon basically confirms they've ditched the full squad spawning... I mean it'd be completely redundant (and actually a disadvantage) otherwise. Unless I'm misunderstanding something?
I dont think so. Beacons are for Recon only (for now). If they had it on the SL then I'd agree with you.

Evolved1

mr_nothin said:
I dont think so. Beacons are for Recon only (for now). If they had it on the SL then I'd agree with you.

My point is that why the heck would a recon even use it, if you could just spawn on them? It's redundant. Worse, actually... because you have to parachute in on the beacon.

If full squad spawn was in, then the beacon would be completely useless.

edit: this seems like a way to encourage recons to participate in the action around objectives. But it makes no sense if you can just spawn on them.

mr_nothin

Banned
Evolved1 said:
My point is that why the heck would a recon even use it, if you could just spawn on them? It's redundant. Worse, actually... because you have to parachute in on the beacon.

You're right and I'm hoping that's the case instead of DICE just trying to give as many spawn points as possible.

Sushen

Nostalgia~4ever said:
it does suck to work 7 days a week 16 hours a day or whatever, but hopefully it ends up rewarding.
I've done it before for 7 months. After while, your body starts to adapt to it, and it's not as bad as it sounds. Does it mean that I'll do it again? Hell no.

Makoto

Evolved1 said:
because you have to parachute in on the beacon.
Clearly they did this so that we'd have a bunch of fan-made movies of people re-enacting the Normandy landings in the Frostbite 2 engine using a bunch of beacons.

Izayoi

Banned
Evolved1 said:
That's not true at all. A recon can deploy the beacon in a well-hidden or strategically important location and move elsewhere, maybe even to spot targets around the beacon as squadmates spawn on it. There are a million uses I could think of for it.

Izayoi said:
That's not true at all. A recon can deploy the beacon in a well-hidden or strategically important location and move elsewhere, maybe even to spot targets around the beacon as squadmates spawn on it. There are a million uses I could think of for it.

Then why not safely spawn on your teammate (the recon) who is in a safe spot rather then risk spawning on the beacon which is riskier and putting yourself in a compromising position? ..doesn't make much sense. Hell, I'd use the recon him/herself as a "beacon" then the actual beacon itself, Lol. Yeah, there are just as many useless... uses, imo.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, not saying its a useless mechanic but if I'm still able to spawn on teammates... I don't see the point, especially since it's safer. And it sets you up with a minor advantage (element of surprise?) where as if I spawn via beacon, you can see me coming from a mile away. Not counting indoors. Same advantage as spawning on a teammate, which makes your point semi-relevant.

I can see the Beacon being an awesome tool if used creatively. Thinking outside box can make it a great tool. I can think of a few now.

Evolved1 said:
It has the advantage of being somewhere that a person doesn't need to be. Would be interesting if you can throw them out of choppers...

But it means a sniper can find a great spawn location (that might not necessarily be a great sniping location), drop a beacon for their teammates to spawn, and then continue on to a sniping spot. So long as the sniper stays alive his squadmates can spawn on that beacon.

Izayoi

Banned
BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Then why not safely spawn on your teammate (the recon) who is in a safe spot rather then risk spawning on the beacon which is riskier and putting yourself in a compromising position? ..doesn't make much sense. Hell, I'd use the recon him/herself as a "beacon" then the actual beacon itself, Lol. Yeah, there are just as many useless... uses, imo.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, not saying its a useless mechanic but if I'm still able to spawn on teammates... I don't see the point, especially since it's safer. And it sets you up with a minor advantage (element of surprise?) where as if I spawn via beacon, you can see me coming from a mile away.
What...? Can you really not see how many uses the beacon might have? Especially in urban situations. Having a spawn point on or near a flag cap, while the recon is somewhere safe keeping the spawn point alive is ridiculously convenient and will be incredibly helpful for taking or defending flags (when the flag has been lost, but you need to spawn on it still to defend it).

LordCanti

I'm confused. I thought they had switched it back to spawning on the squad leader only, and not just anyone in the squad. With it like that, the beacon is useful because a non-squad-leader recon can plant the beacon, and the entire team can spawn on the thing (instead of just your squad) as long as you live. So it would be in the best interest of the team if you planted the beacon, and then hid somewhere.

Imagine all the covered roofs in BC2, with attics accessible to the player. Plant a beacon in there as a recon, and suddenly you can get a good portion of the team spawned in there, and descend upon the enemy from however far behind enemy lines the recon had managed to get.

If I'm wrong though, and squad spawning isn't currently implemented like I thought it was, the usefulness of the beacon is diminished.

Izayoi said:
What...? Can you really not see how many uses the beacon might have? Especially in urban situations. Having a spawn point on or near a flag cap, while the recon is somewhere safe keeping the spawn point alive is ridiculously convenient and will be incredibly helpful for taking or defending flags (when the flag has been lost, but you need to spawn on it still to defend it).

But if he or fellow teammates are in the vicinity already... why not just spawn on them? If teammates are all waiting in queue with me (including the recon), sure. Spawn on the beacon. But otherwise, don't see the point. I can instantly spawn on a teammate. Or float down like a fairy. Again, not counting indoors.. but I'm inclined to believe most flags will probably be out doors.

LordCanti said:
If I'm wrong though, and squad spawning isn't currently implemented like I thought it was, the usefulness of the beacon is diminished.

This. Unless something has changed/been announced. I think you can spawn on any squad member.

Yeah full squad spawning HAS to be out now. The radio beacon would serve little purpose if you could, especially since it disappears once the Recon dies.

We might be able to name a few, but from a design perspective, it doesn't make much sense to have both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom