• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Irvin

Neo Member
Most of my games work, but I consistently have issues with the following: Nights, Sega Rally (JP), and Elevator Action Returns. I've re-ripped the games dozens of times, and still can't get the first two to work, and the EAR freezes during the load screen after the character selection. Have you had any luck with these? (For what it's worth, I'm using a RHEA with a Model 1)

Hello, I've tried sega rally (usa) and EAR, both work without issues.

Nights won't load using fast boot mode (I'm using rhea menu, so far is the only game that I've tried that doesn't work with Fast boot), nevertheless works fine using Full boot.

Hi, I'm the developer behind the menu software for the Rhea/Phoebe ODEs.
I tend to simply lurk around some of these appreciation threads every now and then, as I enjoy following them, and in fact the Dreamcast thread had a hand in renewing my interest for the console a few years back.
But anyway, to the point, for any member here using my software, if you happen to experience any issues feel free to PM me and I'll gladly look into it whenever I have the chance.

Now regarding the aforementioned games, I can also attest that there's no known issues with those (at least on my end) including Nights into Dreams (US region) which for me works correctly with fast boot mode.
Actually, with the improvements in v0.2 and after all the extensive testing done by me and a few users, I'm not aware of any game that currently doesn't work with that boot mode.
I'm not saying that it is entirely outside of the realm of possibilities for some games to not work well with that mode, but simply put it's not feasible for me to test every single game in the console library to find it out.

So I think it's very likely that the issues are being caused by the rips themselves, I suggest to try ripping those games with another software, like CloneCD or CD Manipulator which is a free/open source alternative.
(the latter requires renaming the extension of header file from .CDM to .CCD for it to be recognized by the ODE)
However to guarantee perfect rips, you'd want to either follow the Sega Saturn dumping guide or use DiscImageCreator. That way track hashes can be matched against the database to confirm the dumps are fine.
Obviously what's described in that guide isn't exactly accessible for everyone, including drive requirements. So then the alternative (to save some headaches) is to obtain good dumps from another source instead.
I know this is a morally gray area, but to each their own, personally I see nothing wrong with it in this particular instance, as long as you own the discs themselves.

Another possible cause, could be the SD card itself, likely by having some high latency spikes on read access or because some sort of internal upkeep function which causes instability (common with Transcend)
So in conclusion, it's always a good idea to first try a different brand/size of SD card, just to make sure it is not at fault.

KC-Slater

I tend to simply lurk around some of these appreciation threads every now and then, as I enjoy following them, and in fact the Dreamcast thread had a hand in renewing my interest for the console a few years back.
But anyway, to the point, for any member here using my software, if you happen to experience any issues feel free to PM me and I'll gladly look into it whenever I have the chance.

Now regarding the aforementioned games, I can also attest that there's no known issues with those (at least on my end) including Nights into Dreams (US region) which for me works correctly with fast boot mode.
Actually, with the improvements in v0.2 and after all the extensive testing done by me and a few users, I'm not aware of any game that currently doesn't work with that boot mode.
I'm not saying that it is entirely outside of the realm of possibilities for some games to not work well with that mode, but simply put it's not feasible for me to test every single game in the console library to find it out.

So I think it's very likely that the issues are being caused by the rips themselves, I suggest to try ripping those games with another software, like CloneCD or CD Manipulator which is a free/open source alternative.
(the latter requires renaming the extension of header file from .CDM to .CCD for it to be recognized by the ODE)
However to guarantee perfect rips, you'd want to either follow the Sega Saturn dumping guide or use DiscImageCreator. That way track hashes can be matched against the database to confirm the dumps are fine.
Obviously what's described in that guide isn't exactly accessible for everyone, including drive requirements. So then the alternative (to save some headaches) is to obtain good dumps from another source instead.
I know this is a morally gray area, but to each their own, personally I see nothing wrong with it in this particular instance, as long as you own the discs themselves.

Another possible cause, could be the SD card itself, likely by having some high latency spikes on read access or because some sort of internal upkeep function which causes instability (common with Transcend)
So in conclusion, it's always a good idea to first try a different brand/size of SD card, just to make sure it is not at fault.

Hey, thanks for the reply, and thank you for your contributions to the menu! I've generally had a great experience with it, and at this point feel like any minor gripes I may have with it are truly me just being particular. The fact that I am able to instantly load any of my games via a visual interface seamless on the system without so much as touching the disc drive is fantastic!

I'll check out some of the resources you have mentioned. I have definitely not ruled out my ripped images being the issue -- they were being ripped and converted through a series of different computers and virtual machines using Daemon Tools and DiscJuggler. My SD card could also be the issue, as it was a cheap hand me down that came god knows where, originally...
I may end up having to take you up on your offer of bugging you via PM.

Serge85

Hello Irvin, First of all I want to thank you for your work, thank you so much!! my phoebe wouldn't be as awesome as it is without your software!

Second, I retested Nights into dreams after reading your post, several times using fast boot, and it does indeed works, so my bad, maybe last time I wasn't patient enough in the loading screen (black screen).

MikeMyers

Haven't finished watching that video but the Saturn's more arcade-oriented lineup suits my tastes more.

The weak platforming lineup is kind of an Elephant in the Room, though.

Haven't finished watching that video but the Saturn's more arcade-oriented lineup suits my tastes more.

The weak platforming lineup is kind of an Elephant in the Room, though.

Agreed! Playstation has some great games, but the Saturn just tickles me in the right spot. Same goes for the Genesis. I just vastly prefer that to the SNES.

Galdelico

Agreed! Playstation has some great games, but the Saturn just tickles me in the right spot. Same goes for the Genesis. I just vastly prefer that to the SNES.

Even as a SEGA guy myself, I believe the Mega Drive and the Super Nintendo had a much more balanced fight. Sure the latter came with heavier games (especially by the end of its life-cycle), but the MD library is just as rich, in my opinion. With the Saturn, on the other hand, the story is objectively different... Even if the guy on the right does his best to act like a bratty Sony fanboy from back then - it really brings back memories :D - the video does a good job delivering a fair judgement.

Eolz

Got a Saturn this week, first time I own one.
I've seen before a must-have is the cartridge to play imports (don't remember the name right now) but is there anything else really recommended?
Also, I know it might be some sacrilege, but any good cable to use to plug on a modern screen until I find a good CRT?

leroidys

I've seen before a must-have is the cartridge to play imports (don't remember the name right now) but is there anything else really recommended?
Also, I know it might be some sacrilege, but any good cable to use to plug on a modern screen until I find a good CRT?

If you own a Sega Saturn and you don't own Nights, you're doing it wrong. Other than that, recommendations are going to vary by taste.

MikeMyers

3D Controller if you plan on investing getting NiGHTS.

I know you're a fan of the DOA series and the Saturn has the best port of the original game, but keep in mind it is only available if you import. Other classic arcade ports you can't go wrong with are Sega Rally, Virtua Cop, and Virtua Fighter 2.

For console-original games there's Fighters Megamix, Panzer Dragoon I & II, and Die Hard Arcade.

Eolz

Thanks for all the tips and recommendations!
Will probably skip DOA though, since the Saturn version was included in DOA:U on Xbox ahah. Will definitely look up some of those fighting games and Die Hard Arcade.

MikeMyers

Thanks for all the tips and recommendations!
Will probably skip DOA though, since the Saturn version was included in DOA:U on Xbox ahah. Will definitely look up some of those fighting games and Die Hard Arcade.
If you want fighting games there's also the Capcom fighters - Street Fighter Alpha 2, Vampire Hunter, Xmen vs Street Fighter, etc.

Laws00

I've been posting in the retro spot but ya my Saturn came in yesterday. Region modded can play backups. I'm happy. I can retire my USA Sega Saturn now

Maybe it's my burner or the games i'm finding that have errors in them but i've run into a few games that i can't burn/play.

Got my last 13 CDs left.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

Laws00

After about 20 years looking at magazines, looking at Solus and her outfit, I finally played Groove on Fight.

Had no idea it was part of the Power Instinct series or Gouketsuji Ichizoku

Not a fan. Not a fan at all. The in game animations remind me of some amateur Mugen stype stuff. All things considering I love Matrimelee but can't get into this game.

And how come it took me all this time to find out the name of the guy that does all the artwork is Range Murata lol

The weak shouldn't pronounce the name "Goketsuji".
4103_front.jpg

D.Lo

I like Groove on Fight. I mean it's not top tier, and the emo style has dated, but is about 1996/1997 SNK level animation. I'm a sucker for mid-tier fighters though, I love Waku and Rabbit and Asuka.

Laws00

I like Groove on Fight. I mean it's not top tier, and the emo style has dated, but is about 1996/1997 SNK level animation. I'm a sucker for mid-tier fighters though, I love Waku and Rabbit and Asuka.

could be because I learned that it was all done by ATLUS in house people. Maybe thats why I didn't like the game lol

I need to look into this Rabbit game. It looks familiar as hell to me

Leynos

I've been posting in the retro spot but ya my Saturn came in yesterday. Region modded can play backups. I'm happy. I can retire my USA Sega Saturn now

Maybe it's my burner or the games i'm finding that have errors in them but i've run into a few games that i can't burn/play.

Got my last 13 CDs left.

A local game store has one also in box for, I believe, $200. I contemplated it, but thought better of it. Damned if it ain't pretty, though.

Laws00

That is a beautiful Saturn.

agreed, that thing is gorgeous

thanks for the comments on my Saturn guys. I'm actually scared i'm going to scuff the thing. i'm using my old av cord and controller from my other one as i dont want to mess with it too much lol

A local game store has one also in box for, I believe, $200. I contemplated it, but thought better of it. Damned if it ain't pretty, though.

was online looking at pictures. Looks so damn good. vintage games from the 90s so colorful

I imagine there's a lot of stuff going on under the hood that exceeds the Saturn horsepower so it would probably have to be remade from scratch.

Barely any luck looking on eBay so I may as well try again here.

Does anybody have any spare US Saturn cases or even the front covers? These things crack with ease and I'd love to replace the covers for my copies of Daytona and Fighter's Megamix.

Besides that, what are the absolute cheapest Saturn games out there that I can purchase just to use the cases? I looked at NHL, but most of those auctions have cracks in the cases as well.

This is another advantage to buying Japanese games.

Edit: Are Sega CD cases the exact same?

Leynos

I wish that I could find a place that sells cases for either the Sega CD, or Saturn. Hell, I imagine that the old long-box PS1 cases would work, but don't quote me.

The easiest/cheapest method I've come across is to buy a worthless sports game in good condition, and swap out cases.

I wish that I could find a place that sells cases for either the Sega CD, or Saturn. Hell, I imagine that the old long-box PS1 cases would work, but don't quote me.

The easiest/cheapest method I've come across is to buy a wothless sports game with a good case, and swap out cases.
+1
It's their only reason for existing at this point.

Top Bottom