• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming September 2017 | He11o Darkest My Old Friend

Pachimari

Ohhh interesting, I just found out the original The Sims game has soft-launched as a F2P title in Brazil. Here's to creating a Brazilian account when I get home.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Ohhh interesting, I just found out the original The Sims game has soft-launched as a F2P title in Brazil. Here's to creating a Brazilian account when I get home.

let me know how it is, it is apparently the most pc faithful mobile sims game

Ibuki

Banned
Dropping in here since I just got an iPad Pro.

Looking at getting Hidden Folks, but I also have my eye on Darkest Dungeon. I've played the game before on PC, but it seems really good for my commute.

awp69

If you want a cool way to test AR without spending anything, download YuME: Alice’s Dream. Haven’t played around with it too much as far as gameplay, but what’s neat about it is that in addition to the islands and stuff you see on the surface, if you pan up to the ceiling with your phone you also see the sky (well, a fantasy version of the night sky).

And it appears to be completely free. No IAPs, no ads.

YuME: Alice's Dream by NetEase Games
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/yume-alices-dream/id1279220869?mt=8

On a side note, if you’re looking for an easy way to link iOS apps, tap the little three dots next to it and one of the options you get is to copy the link. Much easier the previous App Store.

PittaGAF

People who like card games like Solitarica, deck builders, Card Crawl etc....may or may not want to be excited about the upcoming Meteorfall.
I could play a beta version and it’s pretty amazing.

Oynox

People who like card games like Solitarica, deck builders, Card Crawl etc....may or may not want to be excited about the upcoming Meteorfall.
I could play a beta version and it’s pretty amazing.

I am in as well, I love the art design and the simple gameplay with enough depth to sink some straight hour into while maintaining this quick Card Crawl attitude.

PittaGAF

Meanwhile, The Witness continue to amaze me big time.

I’m at 204 + 4 and it’s getting better and better.

The sense of wonder and mystery is one of the best I ever experienced.
I still can’t believe it runs SO AMAZINGLY WELL on a 6S.

I feel like my IQ is raising 50 at each beam.

Also.....
that fucking bamboo maze with those sounds and bird chirps is driving me crazy

So good.

okno

Downloaded The Witness last night and I'm absolutely loving it, but, and I feel like I'm missing something obvious, I can't find the options menu. I was hoping to change the controls, although it's not a deal breaker. It's a fantastic game.

killercow

Downloaded The Witness last night and I'm absolutely loving it, but, and I feel like I'm missing something obvious, I can't find the options menu. I was hoping to change the controls, although it's not a deal breaker. It's a fantastic game.

Tap the notch on the top left corner. You can't change much about them though.

okno

Tap the notch on the top left corner. You can't change much about them though.

Thanks! Somehow did not notice that despite playing for three hours straight. Inverting the look and bumping the sensitivity has made a huuuuuuge impact for me.

HotHamBoy

Zen's Universal Classics 3 pack released today and is available to purchase on iOS/Android in addition to the PBFX3 platforms. The three tables are E.T., Back to the Future & Jaws. I bought all 3 on iPad ($1.99 each) and at first blush BTTF is definitely an underwhelming game with bland presentation and table design and really annoying callouts. The other two seem to have more potential (they certainly look nicer) but be aware: Zen DID NOT LICENSE THE ORIGINAL MUSIC FROM THESE FILMS so if not having the iconic themes playing is a deal breaker you might want to consider that.

kendrid

Banned
let me know how it is, it is apparently the most pc faithful mobile sims game

A month ago I played the recent built on my Android phone. It is very close to Sims 3. It is also very laggy and choppy with missing animations. I'd love to play it on my iPad.

awp69

Since there’s some PS4 folks in this thread, thought I’d go off topic to recommend Hob.

Gorgeous puzzle/platformer/adventure game with light RPG elements from the Torchlight devs. Has a Zelda-esque vibe and is just wonderful to explore.

Has some frame rate issues at times but it’s easily one of my favorite games of the year.

Since there’s some PS4 folks in this thread, thought I’d go off topic to recommend Hob.

Gorgeous puzzle/platformer/adventure game with light RPG elements from the Torchlight devs. Has a Zelda-esque vibe and is just wonderful to explore.

Has some frame rate issues at times but it’s easily one of my favorite games of the year.
Yes, it is. It's really awesome so far, lovely atmosphere and a solid hybrid of genres

And after you've had enough calm enchanting adventuring, you can go play Ruiner and blast fools to pieces.

awp69

Yes, it is. It's really awesome so far, lovely atmosphere and a solid hybrid of genres

And after you've had enough calm enchanting adventuring, you can go play Ruiner and blast fools to pieces.

Yep, picked up that too and really like it. But got sucked into Hob for hours tonight and am way past my bedtime. :)

SteveWD40

So, does anyone have a solid method of backing up iOS save games?

I have a Pro 10.5 and iPhone 7, I am reluctant to play any heavy games that lack icloud save states due to the loss of progress when you change devices.

I don't have a mac / PC for itunes backups.

I was optimistic I could use the new Files app to locate them saves and back them up to GDrive, but that is not possible.

If I bought a wireless HDD backup drive, could I do a full backup that way? or does it need iTunes for that?

colinp

Banned
Once Upon a Tower is really fun. It’s a really cool twist on Mr Digger/Dig Dug.

Great for quick bursts and F2P with purchaseable characters. I think you can unlock all the characters just by playing as well.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So, does anyone have a solid method of backing up iOS save games?

I have a Pro 10.5 and iPhone 7, I am reluctant to play any heavy games that lack icloud save states due to the loss of progress when you change devices.

I don't have a mac / PC for itunes backups.

I was optimistic I could use the new Files app to locate them saves and back them up to GDrive, but that is not possible.

If I bought a wireless HDD backup drive, could I do a full backup that way? or does it need iTunes for that?
App offloading is a feature in iOS 11 meant for this purpose. Enable it for select apps via settings, it saves the documents and data part of apps but deletes the rest to save space.

It's under General > iPhone Storage >. Can either be enabled wholesale for all apps right there with a toggle or within individual apps' storage entry in the list below it.

Example:
bo1zVdk.jpg

colinp

Banned
False alarm! The News feed disappeared from the App Store because there was an update to iOS: 11.0.1. After installing the update it’s back.

App offloading is a feature in iOS 11 meant for this purpose. Enable it for select apps via settings, it saves the documents and data part of apps but deletes the rest to save space.

It's under General > iPhone Storage >. Can either be enabled wholesale for all apps right there with a toggle or within individual apps' storage entry in the list below it.

I don’t think that’s what they’re asking. They want a way to backup their save files off of the iOS device, even between devices or OS reinstalls.

The sad answer is I don’t think a solution exists at the moment.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I don't think that's what they're asking. They want a way to backup their save files off of the iOS device, even between devices or OS reinstalls.

The sad answer is I don't think a solution exists at the moment.

Yeah, I just meant that offloading is Apple's solution to that question. An "offloaded" apps' documents etc. will persist between installs of the OS as long as the same iCloud backup is used.

Yeah, I just meant that offloading is Apple's solution to that question. An "offloaded" apps' documents etc. will persist between installs of the OS as long as the same iCloud backup is used.

I don’t accept this as a solution to wanting access and backup options for save files. Using iCloud backup and telling iOS to wide local data for apps is a (hacky) workaround to migrate your saves to a new device, but it’s no file access.

EDIT: Do you really need to tell iOS to delete the game’s local files to force it to back up corresponding save files on iCloud backups? I kind of figured it would have been doing that anyway, even before they added that feature. If not, that’s even worse.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I don’t accept this as a solution to wanting access and backup options for save files. Using iCloud backup and telling iOS to wide local data for apps is a (hacky) workaround to migrate your saves to a new device, but it’s no file access.

EDIT: Do you really need to tell iOS to delete the game’s local files to force it to back up corresponding save files on iCloud backups? I kind of figured it would have been doing that anyway, even before they added that feature. If not, that’s even worse.
You don't have to offload to have documents/data be backed up in your backups. But keeping the entire app takes up more space while you're using your device.

As for accepting Apple's solution, well that is it as far as saving space on stuff that doesn't implement icloud save syncing that you want to get rid off while still saving the document/data part. :/

Apple added encryption onto the file system parts that store the save data in iOS 9 for security reasons so accessing those via third party apps isn't possible anymore unless jailbroken.

SteveWD40

I don’t think that’s what they’re asking. They want a way to backup their save files off of the iOS device, even between devices or OS reinstalls.

The sad answer is I don’t think a solution exists at the moment.

Yeah, I was thinking in the case of device loss or damage, not losing the save files when I restore from backup would be nice.

bonesquad

The “10 great games for airplane mode” list makes me want an “always online” indicator of sorts on app pages, which will never happen.
Where is that list? A nice chunk of my iOS gaming is done in airplane mode, and I would also love such a heads up before buying a game. Sometimes that's not an issue, but when I want to grab a game before a flight that is nice to know.

Top Bottom