• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neversoft not developing next Tony Hawk game?

Sean

Banned
Jeff Gerstman says in the latest 6/03 Giant Bomb pocast that the next Tony Hawk game is NOT being developed by Neversoft, but instead by a new studio in Chicago called Robomodo. The studio is made up of former EA Chicago employees and before that they were Studio Gigante (Tao Feng :lol ).

Their website does say they're working on a project for Activision, so this is probably legit.

Source: 6/03 Giant Bombcast (52:50 in).

On one hand, Neversoft drove Tony Hawk into the ground.

On the other hand, Tao Feng.

*wiggles left hand* No more Neversoft.

*wiggles right hand* Tao Feng.

*balancing motion, thoughtful grimace*
/Kevin

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Neversoft is too busy squeezing the last drops of milk out of Guitar Hero anyway. And isn't the next Tony Hawk DS-only?

KTallguy

Banned
Oh shit, that's right.

I had this feeling coming on just now... what was it...

Oh! Wait... there it is!

I was wondering when the next Tony Hawk game was coming out! That's right!

kenta

Has no PEINS
Blimblim said:
Any change to that series is good news. Any. Change.
My instinct is to agree but I can't wait to see how they manage to ruin it even farther.

Maybe it should read "Any change to that series is good news as long as that change is a quiet and respectful death"

Of All Trades said:
On one hand, Neversoft drove Tony Hawk into the ground.

On the other hand, Tao Feng.

*wiggles left hand* No more Neversoft.

*wiggles right hand* Tao Feng.

*balancing motion, thoughtful grimace*
/Kevin

They also made Fight Night R3. But then they went and made Def Jam Icon. :p

It's a strange choice, but Neversoft seemed to have lost their way with TH games in the same way Core had with TR games.

farnham

Banned
So neversoft is the official guitar hero dev now.. :lol :lol :lol

tony hawk with balance board support would wake interest in me

but i dont think it will happen

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
I don't care who develops it, as long as they KEEP THAT FUCKER ON THE BOARD AND QUIT IT WITH THE SHITTY PLATFORMING SECTIONS GODDAMN IT.

Pein

Banned
Activision shouldn't have closed down underground development the sports games they made were pretty good they would have been a perfect developer for a tony hawk game

Sean

Banned
Pein said:
Activision shouldn't have closed down underground development the sports games they made were pretty good they would have been a perfect developer for a tony hawk game

Aggressive Inline was great, but they haven't really made a good game after that.

Scrubking

As long as it's on Wii, has pedestrians and doesn't try to make me hold the wiimote like a skateboard I'll take it.

Pachael

neorej said:
Neversoft is too busy squeezing the last drops of milk out of Guitar Hero anyway. And isn't the next Tony Hawk DS-only?

But that milk is effective for now due to Activision's distribution skills over EA/MTV (where equipment seems to double for every new territory ;p)

Yes, it's all Neversoft's fault.
Scrubking said:
As long as it's on Wii, has pedestrians and doesn't try to make me hold the wiimote like a skateboard I'll take it.
Do you post anything that doesn't involve the following:

Looks good, has potential
No Wii version?
Day one

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Pachael said:
But that milk is effective for now due to Activision's distribution skills over EA/MTV (where equipment seems to double for every new territory ;p)
you haven't seen the pricetag for Guitar Hero IV, have you?

angelfly

The Jer said:
not Neversoft = not a real Tony Hawk game

color me disappointed. i may be skipping out on this one.

Their creativity with the series has dwindled. I think passing it on is the best thing they can do.

Grayman

Well as long as someone is giving Skate competition.

The rigging aspect of the tony hawk underground demo seemed like it could be a fun idea

Echoes

I couldn't complete TH Proving Ground. What a terrible game.

Yeah, any change is welcomed. Screw Neversoft.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Does this mean we might see another IP from Neversoft now?

Like GUN 2?

Or something orginal?

Neversoft are fuck awesome. Fuck awesome. When they let themselves be.

GUN 2! MAKE IT HAPPEN!

If it does I will gladly drop my Activision embargo to dip in.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I'm still pissed Project 8 never saw a PC release.

This thread reminded me of that.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
The Faceless Master said:
in europe? or the price in america that has a higher quality wireless drum set?

if the wireless guitar I got with GH3 is any indication, the drumkit will be worse than the one provided with Rock Band. The fretboard came off several times and even if it decided to stay put (hurray for ducttape), the red button wouldn't register all the time.
So my question to you: on what experience / information are you basing the assumption that the GH4 drumkit will be better?

hitoshi

gun.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
polygon_monkey said:
What we need is Tony Hawk 2 & 3 levels. Tony Hawk 3 gameplay. Spiffed up visuals. 60fps. Return to 2 minute runs. Done.
Tony Hawk 3 was already 60 fps, so that wouldn't exactly be a huge improvement. :p THPS2 on the XBOX was 60 fps as well.

dark10x said:
Tony Hawk 3 was already 60 fps, so that wouldn't exactly be a huge improvement. :p THPS2 on the XBOX was 60 fps as well.

I mainly want TH2 levels with revert really but as TH3 levels were decent enough, may as well chuck them in as well.

tale

hitoshi said:

was a horrible attempt to at making an open-world western.

There is only one awesome (last gen) western shooter ...

Red_Dead_Revolver_Coverart.png

Oddworld Stranger was okay too (if you're a furry).

Gun however was horrible. Project 8 was the last "good" Neversoft game.

FightyF

Banned
dark10x said:

The demo for Project 8 ran at 60 fps as well. Looks excellent at 60fps, the game sports some great lighting and high res textures all over too.

Too bad the retail game didn't keep that framerate...looked super sexy.

I guess this explains why there is no new Hawk console game scheduled for this year. Gives the new devs time to ramp up and play with ideas.

Is it safe to assume that Vicarious Visions will continue doing the DS Hawk games? I've been playing quite a bit of Proving Ground DS lately, and it is the most fun I've had in a Hawk game since THUG. The price is down to $20 at Target so a good bargain, though I have no regrets about picking it up early at the full price. Designing your own logos and having them pop up on water towers, walls, and other places as you skate around is cool. The online multi-player is pretty nice as well.

radjago

What's Shaba Games been up to? They made Wakeboarding Unleashed, which was great, along with a bunch of Tony Hawk ports.

Darkpen

Banned
e_e

Considering that Skate is basically what should have been released instead of those rip-off shovelware games that came out after the first Tony Hawk's release, I'm not so sure I want another Tony Hawk.

The series have always been a sort of arcadey combo game, but what could the new devs possibly do? Why don't they just kill the franchise. It had a nice run, but it should be forgotten for at least 5 years.

I've heard good things about Skate, but as I don't have a 360 or PS3 I haven't been able to experience it yet.

Just out of curiosity, is all the dislike of the more recent Hawk games specifically for the console versions, or all versions inclusive? And what's the basis? Is it the unrealistic elements like grinding high tension wires, sky high verts, and outrageously long combo chains? I suppose a skateboarding purist might prefer something a little more grounded and realistic, but those things are part of the fun for me. My bones aren't up to doing much in the way of real world skateboard tricks these days. I can still bust a decent manual for someone of...uh, let's just say someone of Tony's vintage. But when it comes to the video games, I don't mind a little defiance of the laws of gravity, physics, and human endurance.

I've actually enjoyed all the DS titles. I kept borrowing my kid's Downhill Jam and occasionally Sk8land when he wasn't busy with it, and decided I needed my own DS Hawk game by the time Proving Ground came out. I do have Project 8 for the PS2 and agree that it wasn't quite as fun as some of the earlier Neversoft Hawks. There were too many stop and go short tasks and not enough continual, fluid motion activities like in THUG. It was still fun to play however, and since I got it free bundled with the PS2, I couldn't argue with the price.

Top Bottom