• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix now developing console-like (and handheld-like) games for Smartphones

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
In case anyone was wondering what happened to TWEWY 2.

squareenixmobileconsoyukcs.jpg

Source: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/20130527_01en.pdf

Thanks miladesn.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Argh, this is probably related to the Final Fantasy Agito trademark.

Ah well.

vareon

I wonder if Bravely Default gets ported one day and BD2 is mobile/3DS. I hope it's 3DS -> mobile port, if that is the case.

Road

squareenixrealizationf9u1l.png

owlrly.jpg

squareenixkickstartlaufa.png

Who's ready to kickstart FFXV?

Edit: just realized there are like 10 thread about this pdf...

Pooya

TWEWY sequel seems like a lock for mobile so far. That looks like to be their plan with that IP:
-iOS port includes a teaser.
-Another social game just got released.

Wilsongt

I'm... okay... with this...?

I keep my iPod on my a lot more than I have my 3DS, so having a "console-like" RPG in my pocket is fun.

Chaos Rings was fun, as was FFD.

yami4ct

TWEWY sequel seems like a lock for mobile so far. That looks like to be their plan with that IP:

Back when the iOS port came out I was not OK with this. Now that I replayed TWEWY on DS, I sort of am. If this is the only way to get that game, so be it.

Honestly, I'm fine with this idea. As long as they make the games specifically for those platforms with their limitations in mind, it should work out. In no way would I want this to replace my traditional handheld JRPGs, but I'd take it as a supplement to them. The big problem with SEs ports so far is that they weren't made with the platform in mind first. They shoehorned things that played better with buttons onto a device that couldn't support that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

That was exactly my thought process too.

They very notably reworked TWEWY to work with tablets/phones as well, instead of just making a half assed port, which seems like an usually large amount of effort for them.

when the "remakes" (so-called remakes) for ff 5 and 6 were announced for ipad and the ds/3ds ones disappeared, the writing was on the wall

unfortunately outside DQ - i wouldn't expect much from square on 3ds at this point unless monster hunter 4 brings a bunch of the psp audience onto the 3ds and square feels compelled to respond - square's handheld audience on the psp has moved on... they can either try to rebuild their audience on the 3ds or go all-in on iOS and establish a long-term presence there

it seems like they are gambling on the latter... although to be honest it seems like a bad idea - there are about ~15 million iOS devices in Japan and while that is higher than the 3ds - the 3ds just generates far more revenue per SKU even if the costs are higher...

Square's focus on iOS might also be a consequence of the fact that they don't see a bright future for dedicated handhelds anymore and they want to secure an audience for 2-3 generations without worrying about what the 4DS or whatever nintendo releases in the future will be perceived by the market (the 3ds issues early on really scared a lot of developers)

Negator

This is depressing. Any time I see a game I'd actually like to play come out on iOS/Android, it just makes me sad that I can't play it on a platform with buttons. I want to try Final Fantasy Dimensions, but I know I won't enjoy it with touch controls. I would have gladly even bought that half-assed FF5 port for my Vita or 3DS :/

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is depressing. Any time I see a game I'd actually like to play come out on iOS/Android, it just makes me sad that I can't play it on a platform with buttons. I want to try Final Fantasy Dimensions, but I know I won't enjoy it with touch controls. I would have gladly even bought that half-assed FF5 port for my Vita or 3DS :/

Really?

I mean it's just moving in four directions and selecting things out of a menu...

Well a lot of people own these types of phones. Still, they offer an objectively inferior platform for console-like games. Controls are crap.

ShutEye

Not that I really follow with Square with bated breath but I don't understand how their handheld / mobile / Digital strategy isn't just "release games for as many feasible platforms as possible" . If something goes to say 3DS and it can work on Vita / iOS / Android / tablets / XBLA / PSN , why not just port the thing? It just seems like an obvious way to build franchise awareness and revenue.

I don't understand the groaning over no buttons. Does it really matter in an RPG?
As of my personal experience, for strategy RPGs its OK since you only need to touch once but for others where you have to constantly touch the virtual dpad/stick is just irritating.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Really?

I mean it's just moving in four directions and selecting things out of a menu...

It's super clunky and basically doubles the time it takes to get anything done. The virtual pad in FF V iOS just plain doesn't work right all the time.

Really?

I've tried it and its very cumbersome and doesnt really work all the time. Other things that slow me down is you can't just hold down a button like in FF 1 and let it just select the basic commands from last round but push and assign every round. This slows the game down tremendously.

Mario007

I honestly doubt this will work, especially given SE mobile prices. As an owner of a tablet and a smartphone and a Vita I'd much rather play games on the Vita than on my other two platforms (same goes for 3DS).

I'm okay with this, the RPGs they usually do land themselves extremely well on touch devices. I'm not sure about the financial part of this, RPGs are long and expensive to make, are smartphones/tablet games are usually pretty cheap, but if they manage to make people accept paying 10-15$/€ for their mobile RPG, then it's nice. I mean, as a consumer, I'd rather pay 20€ for a Square-Enix RPG that I'll be able to play on the go than on 3DS for 40€ with less impressive visuals, etc...

I don't mind them going to iOS and the like. Just release the same game digitally to 3DS and Vita as well. Make it the new PC/360/PS3 but for handhelds.

Glass Rebel

Making a single-screen TWEWY was stupid to begin with, now a followup to that instead of the DS original would be just a kick in the balls.

Whatever, SE, dig that grave.

Top Bottom