• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update: Marvel got rights back to X-Men and Fantastic Four

“Sooner or later, they’re going to get the rights back to all our characters. They’re working on it, and they’re still making X-Men movies and stuff. Don’t worry about it. You’ll get more Marvel superheroes than you’ll have time to look at in the next few years.”

Stan Lee says that fans need not worry as “sooner or later,” the movie rights to all Marvel characters, including the X-Men and the Fantastic Four, will eventually return to Marvel Studios. The mutants and the foursome pioneering property from the famed comic book house are currently under the safe keeping of 20th Century Fox, which has been adapting those comic book series to film for years now. This makes for a great divide between the Fox Marvel Universe and Marvel Cinematic Universe where the Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy and even now Spider-Man operate.

http://screenrant.com/stan-lee-marvel-x-men-fantastic-four-rights/

Penguin

I'm sure they've been trying since Disney bought em, but not sure why this is news until they actually get em back

Well of course they are, but Stan Lee's almost a century old so his concept of "sooner or later" could be like five decades.

Dalek

I love Stan....but I'm not sure this is valid. He's always an optimist, but let's be real. Fox ain't giving up the X-Men.

I love Stan....but I'm not sure this is valid. He's always an optimist, but let's be real. Fox ain't giving up the X-Men.

I would say the fact that Marvel and Fox came to a deal with Gifted and Legion is a pretty good sign. Could do a Sony style deal.

This seems more like Lee trying to please an interviewer's question, then him actually knowing if Disney / Marvel has any plans to get back the rights to the X-Men or the Fantastic Four.

I would say the fact that Marvel and Fox came to a deal with Gifted and Legion is a pretty good sign. Could do a Sony style deal.

I believe Marvel / Disney still have a huge say in the X-Men TV shows, so that may have been a bit different. Also Fox isn't exactly ruining the X-Men universe, the same way Sony was basically on life-support with the Spider-Man franchise. In terms of film, I doubt Fox will make any sort of deal with Marvel, anytime soon.

Tobor

Come on before hugh jackman gets older! We need wolverine in the next Phase

Pass. Recast and get someone short this time.

Man, if I could get an Xmen movie produced by Feige with an actual proper line up of Xmen characters...

/dreams

HeatBoost

This seems kinda obvious

If they do get the rights to the X-Men, I hope they make them a bit less... sanitary than the MCU movies have been. I love those flicks, but the X-Men are defined by (and popular because) the fact that they're supposed to be the down and dirty underdogs.

That being said... this could happen anywhere between tomorrow and the year 2099 depending on how much money Disney wants to spend. So... I won't be holding my breath, Stan

MechDX

My mom always told me :Shit in one hand and want in the other and see which one gets filled up first

FF maybe, Xmen? Nope

Well, it's not that I don't trust Stan but... I don't trust Stan.
Of course they want them back. But Fox has given no hints that they're ready to let go of anything, even the FF. And why should they? Makes no sense business-wise. So... Unless Fox goes under: NOPE.

My ideal fanboy scenario: Fox gets the rights to everything X-Men (yes, everything, including the comics that they'll licence to whomever: DC, Valiant, Dark Horse, Image, I don't care) and Marvel gets the FF back.
X-Men Legends 3, baby!!!

It will never happen in a million years though.

Sephzilla

Man, the MCU post credits stinger where a hand shoots out of the grave from the end of
Logan
is going to be hype

Vyrance

I'd be happy if they just got the stuff that comes with the Fantastic Four: Doom, Galactus, Silver Surfer, Super Skrull, etc

Loxley

After the resounding success of Deadpool and Logan, ain't no way Fox is going to give Disney an inch regarding the X-universe. The Fantastic Four? Maybe. But even then, I feel like they'd be more likely to do what Sony did with Spidey and allow for the FF to appear in the MCU.

Dr doom deserves better than the Fox treatment. Wasn't he like half horse or something ? Or a spaceman ? Cmon Disney give me good FF and Doom.

night814

I assume they always are, how serious is the effort is the question

I imagine their effort is simply waiting it out until the rights revert or until they lose interest. Could take years and it sounds like Stan is fine with that; "We have so much Marvel". I agree with him, if they got FF or X-men back say tomorrow I feel like it would take years for anything to actually materialize.

DeviantBoi

Why didn't they include a clause that said that every 10-20 years the license needs to be reviewed and renewed by both parties?

Delio

Yeah i dont mind if they got FF back. Fox doesn't use them well at all but the X-men? I'd like them to stay in their own universe and just have better writers and directors on board. Logan and Deadpool are both fantastic.

jwk94

I'd prefer that they didn't. I'm starting to hate the giant MCU and how vanilla it feels. Spiderman is the first marvel movie in a long time to feel somewhat unique. That doesn't give me all that much hope for the future, but even so, I don't want another group of movies tying into this universe.

NR1

What characters do Marvel currently don't have access too? I know they recently got Daredevil, Punisher, and Ghostrider back. Sony still has ownership of Spider-Man, but are willing to work with Marvel for now.

Is it just Xmen and Fantastic Four at Fox?

smurfx

get some go again
At this point the X-men and FF movies need Marvel more than Marvel needs them
FF yes but xmen can continue being in its own world with no need of the mcu.

What characters do Marvel currently don't have access too? I know they recently got Daredevil, Punisher, and Ghostrider back. Sony still has ownership of Spider-Man, but are willing to work with Marvel for now.

Is it just Xmen and Fantastic Four at Fox?
i think they have to give universal an option on distribution rights on any hulk movie they make which is why they won't be making any.

mjc

I'd prefer that they didn't. I'm starting to hate the giant MCU and how vanilla it feels. Spiderman is the first marvel movie in a long time to feel somewhat unique. That doesn't give me all that much hope for the future, but even so, I don't want another group of movies tying into this universe.

Vanilla isn't how I'd describe the MCU purely on a character front.

Trace

Banned

Normally I agree with you, but with the exception of some of the X-Men movies, Deadpool and Logan, most of what Fox has put out has been dogshit. Even bland movies would be better than a lot of what we've gotten out of Fantastic Four.

Elandyll

Banned
I've been pondering if there was a "limit" date on top of the mandatory "have to have projects in production" clause in the original contracts.

The fairly laid back attitude of Disney concerning these properties and now this make me think (hope) it might be sooner rather than later. Maybe.

Otoh Feige did say it might be impossible, but added "At this juncture" (ergo 'point in time').

http://nerdist.com/kevin-feige-says...ic-four-into-the-mcu-may-be-an-impossibility/

Extrapolation: if the rights were sold for a maximum of 30 years, in 1995, that gets us to... 2025. Not all that far away in the grand scheme of things.

Sulik2

Fox is two more 100 - 200 million dollar fantastic four flops from selling the rights back to Marvel and just doubling down on the X-Men universe IMHO. Three flops in a row and they will bail I bet.

Kevinroc

I would imagine it's a point of pride for Marvel to want to do the Fantastic Four right. They are Stan and Jack's babies, and the launching point of the Marvel Universe as we know it.

I don't think it's likely that Marvel will get either the FF or X-Men license back at this point. Particularly after they managed to get Daredevil and used the IP to launch the Netflix projects.

Top Bottom