• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie reaches out and cheers up a 9-year-old boy undergoing transplant surgery.

A user on Reddit named fiscal_ has a son who is undergoing a grueling transplant surgery. When Bungie heard of this, an employee named Christine went to visit him and brought along a signed Get Well card from fellow Bungie coworkers, along with an awesome tshirt and a Spartan Helmet to help him be a strong boy throughout the process.

Some pics:
ftHsy2wh.jpg

rKLm3cdh.jpg

2W0s2G8h.jpg

8ku2nIlh.jpg

WLCT5lwh.jpg

fqaoNqXh.jpg

GeN65fvh.jpg

DghU5SJh.jpg
Full Album:http://imgur.com/a/Xdjdj
Full Story:http://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/16x2kx/thank_you_bungie_my_sons_transplant_surgery_and/

nickcv

But Halo is not for kids.

from reddit itself:

Those that are concerned about kids playing an M rated game. He doesn't playyy like you or I would sit and play. He doesn't just hop on multiplayer with a headset and microphone or just start playing the campaign. I'll sit down and play a part of the campaign with him, or mom will join us for our own multiplayer game. He likes the idea of Halo more than playing Halo. His interest has transcended the games, he would rather battle it out with his Halo action figures, anyway. The Spartan storyline just gets his imagination going, it's wonderful.

Redhood

Apart from the awww part they gave a 9 year old a shooter game's characters 's helmet!

And that too halo! Tell me GAF Why i am not surprised?

Pikma

Banned
Reminds me of Naughty Dog
It's awesome when independent companies do things like this, it speaks a lot for the human quality of the individuals who work there. Awesome, Bungie!
I hope everything goes perfectly well for the kid.

But Halo is not for kids.
"Those that are concerned about kids playing an M rated game. He doesn't playyy like you or I would sit and play. He doesn't just hop on multiplayer with a headset and microphone or just start playing the campaign. I'll sit down and play a part of the campaign with him, or mom will join us for our own multiplayer game. He likes the idea of Halo more than playing Halo. His interest has transcended the games, he would rather battle it out with his Halo action figures, anyway. The Spartan storyline just gets his imagination going, it's wonderful. "

EDIT: Beaten.

But giving a helmet and a tshirt is no different than giving kids an action figure.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
"Those that are concerned about kids playing an M rated game. He doesn't playyy like you or I would sit and play. He doesn't just hop on multiplayer with a headset and microphone or just start playing the campaign. I'll sit down and play a part of the campaign with him, or mom will join us for our own multiplayer game. He likes the idea of Halo more than playing Halo. His interest has transcended the games, he would rather battle it out with his Halo action figures, anyway. The Spartan storyline just gets his imagination going, it's wonderful. "

EDIT: Beaten.

But giving a helmet and a tshirt is no different than giving kids an action figure.

Obviously he is going to think he's a Spartan now and go on a killing soree.

Pooya

Did they ever sell helmets like that one in the pics? looks very well made and detailed, unlike that one that came with 3 legendary :\

The first few pics are heartbreaking to see a child go through that. I hope he gets better :(

As for complaining about a child playing an adult game... who the fuck cares, it makes him feel better. Has to be some pleasure in life, like how Stephen Hawking has strippers grind up against him.

Havok

Probably worth noting that Bungie runs its own charity thing, the Bungie Foundation, that donates iPads to children's hospitals and partners with organizations like Make-a-Wish and Child's Play. They've done events like Fight the Flood, Be a Hero, and Ganbare Nippon (for Katrina, Haiti, and Japan relief efforts, respectively) where they sell shirts and wristbands and donate all proceeds to the American Red Cross. It's a classy company.

Darklord

Banned
That makes the violence all the sudden kids friendly? Sounds cheap and wrong.

Who gives a shit? Tons of kids play violent games and Halo is FAR from the worst of them. You're shooting Aliens that have blue blood. The kids sick and may die oh but let's restrict his little bit of enjoyment because rules are rules!

derFeef

GJ Bungie, also I hope he get's better soon. I know the feeling of being a lot in the hospital in your childhood - something like that would have helped me for sure.

Also some posts in here are just wrong, what is wrong with some people.

Oersted

Did they ever sell helmets like that one in the pics? looks very well made and detailed, unlike that one that came with 3 legendary :\

According to reddit:

It's so wonderful to know that your little Spartan has a smile on his face. That gift is evidence of the power of gamer community. The helmet was made by a fan from the 405th, and gifted to Bungie by yet another fan who thought it could be of use to the Bungie Foundation. His name is Laird, and he does a lot to express his passion for games in ways that make the world a better place.

Who gives a shit? Tons of kids play violent games and Halo is FAR from the worst of them. You're shooting Aliens that have blue blood. The kids sick and may die oh but let's restrict his little bit of enjoyment because rules are rules!

To make it clear: I think its fucking awesome that the game helps him to get trough this. But you know, there have been probably a time before this surgery. A time where he was younger and already played a M rated game. "Tons of kids does it", doesn´t really help. Not all.

DerZuhälter;46697936 said:
Hey 343 Industries: You mad?!

Frankie's on his way there now with a 360 and a copy of Halo 4.

"Heeeeey son, how do you fancy playing some Halo with me?"
"Gee mister, that sounds like-"
*sees Halo 4 box*
"Uhhh, actually mister, I'm not feeling up to i-"
"YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP AND PLAY"

Jacobbles

What a horrible thing for anyone to have to go through, let alone someone so young.

It's so great to see stories like this. Good stuff, Bungie.

Roche

According to reddit:

To make it clear: I think its fucking awesome that the game helps him to get trough this. But you know, there have been probably a time before this surgery. A time where he was younger and already played a M rated game. "Tons of kids does it", doesn´t really help. Not all.

If his parents decided he could play an M rated game then it's alright. Parents should use them as guidelines, it's not up to me, you or anyone else to make that decision for them.

Anyway this is awesome, the kid is adorable nice to see Bungie brought a little happiness into his world.

That makes the violence all the sudden kids friendly? Sounds cheap and wrong.

In general I'd agree to keep kids far away from games that glorify violence but the kid is deathly sick so just let it go. If he likes halo and the guy wants to do something nice for him then good for the poor child.

My oldest (10 years younger) brother spent a lot of time in hospitals when he was 3-5 (airway infections, having tonsils removed etc etc) and my youngest brother got leukemia when he was 5.
Hospitals are not a nice place for a child that young to be in, especially as the patient.

I feel bad for this kid.

dc89

Neat touch by Bungie! <3

I don't understand the whole 'something something M rated game' thing though. Let his parents do their job as parents.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What about all the other sick kids?

The story as it's told in the OP sounds weird since it doesn't mention the kid having an interest in Halo previously as far as I can tell. It just sounds like they saw a random sick kid and went all in like that. That can't be the case, right?

Yager

Banned
What about all the other sick kids?

The story as it's told in the OP sounds weird since it doesn't mention the kid having an interest in Halo previously as far as I can tell. It just sounds like they saw a random sick kid and went all in like that. That can't be the case, right?

Maybe you should read the posts on Reddit. In the original, the father's asking to reach Bungie Foundation because his son loves Halo. So no, it's not a random sick kick.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Maybe you should read the posts on Reddit. In the original, the father's asking to reach Bungie Foundation because his son loves Halo. So no, it's not a random sick kick.
I clicked the link in the OP and the post it links to wasn't helpful either. I don't use reddit and wasn't going to figure it out to read the whole history in all its multi-post glory. I never said it's a random sick kick, I said the OP makes it sound like that.

Quackula

Nice on Bungie to do this.

As for the 'kid playin violent games' thing... come on. I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of Gaffers were playing stuff like Mortal Kombat or Wolfenstein 3D when they were kids.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Frankie's on his way there now with a 360 and a copy of Halo 4.

"Heeeeey son, how do you fancy playing some Halo with me?"
"Gee mister, that sounds like-"
*sees Halo 4 box*
"Uhhh, actually mister, I'm not feeling up to i-"
"YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP AND PLAY"

The kid would just find his account/console banned for not having proof of purchase. :p

Matt_C

I wish him a speedy recovery. About the nay sayers who complain about a young kid liking Halo, there are Halo Mega Blocks and a PG-13 movie/web series which is fairly preteen friendly and fun to watch.

Please 343i, I want a Halo Mega Blocks game please, and I barely played a Lego Game. The boy in the OP would be thrilled to play it.

RPGCrazied

Very sweet of them. And I feel for the boy. But this seems like Nintendo should've cheered him up with Mario stuff and a signed 3DS or something. Even if he isn't playing it, he looks a little young to even watch it, but meh, I'm not his parent.

Top Bottom