• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MoviePass (Unlimited Films in Theaters) Drops to $9.95 a Month

So, MoviePass has dropped to just $9.95 a month for 1 2D movie a day nationwide. I was paying $49.99 a month. I don't see how this is possible, but it looks to have no gimmicks attached:

MoviePass-9.95-Again.jpg

Dear MoviePass Community,

For the last several years, we have been testing a number of service offers and price points. We have learned a lot during this process and believe that we now have an offer that can't be beat.

Effective today, we are introducing a universal subscription plan for $9.95 per month. MoviePass will have one price point nationwide and it will be for standard 2D films only. As a subscriber, you can see any movie, at any theater, at any time. For your convenience, we currently support more than 91 percent of movie theaters nationwide. Unfortunately, premium formats such as 3D and IMAX will not be included in this plan.

We believe that you want to see more movies in theaters. Our $9.95 per month subscription makes it possible for you to see a movie every day, if you would like.

For current members, your price will automatically be reduced to $9.95, beginning on your next billing cycle following August 15th.

As before, there is no contract, so you are free to cancel at any time. This price point will be guaranteed for at least 12 months for those who sign up during this period. Space is limited.

To all of those members who have supported us over the years, thank you! We look forward to continuing to provide award-winning service and giving you the largest selections of movies and theaters in the industry.

See you at the movies!
The MoviePass Team

If anyone finds any other insight into the price drop, would be interested. The only catch I see that "space is limited" so I wonder if they are trying to hit a certain number of users. Anyone else still a member?

UPDATED OP with some answers:

Guys, please stop asking the same three questions OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER - the website is fucked up, you can't see theaters reliably. It currently is supposed to work with ~91% of theaters in the USA, including just about every AMC, Regal, Cinemark, etc which cover most people.

They announced this monday, and the CEO has already said the response and signup rates they got exceeded their expectations hundreds of times over. Its like if you open a Leftorium store at the mall and expect 1000 visitors the first day and instead get 5 million. Things are going to be pretty fucked up for a while as they try to figure out what the hell to do.

Its not a scam, but nobody knows what the fuck is really gonna happen for now. Only a few dozen theaters around the country support MoviePass e-ticketing, WHICH HAS NOTHING TO DO with regular movie e-ticketing like from Fandango, etc. Its their own custom "deals" with movie theaters where they directly pay the theater when you book with MoviePass. Again, just a handful of theaters do this. The rest all require you to receive a debit card from MoviePass, and then you select a movie, MoviePass loads the debit card with the correct amount, and then you "buy" a regular ticket at the theater with the debit card. That makes the process invisible as far as movie theaters are concerned, but it means you MUST get that debit card to even begin to see a movie through MoviePass.

None of that works until MoviePass sends you the debit card, and we have no idea how long thats gonna take. It says 7 days on the signup pages but thats sorta hard to believe now if they got way more people than they expected.

Yes, you got charged $9.95 right away. I have no idea what the hell is going on with that either, presumably that would get refunded if you cancelled the service after you got your MoviePass card and didn't like it.

At this point either sign up and hope you get the card soon, or don't sign up and wait for the rest of us who did to get our cards and report back on what the experience is like. Its pretty safe to assume most theaters near you will support this, and most theaters near you will NOT do e-ticketing for a while. If you DO see theaters near you in the app and you don't have a MP card, it means they support e-tickets. Grats, you lucky and can see a movie this weekend! The rest of us can't.

See the MoviePass theater list here: https://www.moviepasslocations.com/

Sanjuro

Some films I see are $28 a ticket. Might be worth biting into this sorcery.

My problem is how it will handle any sort of hurdle the cinema considers a luxury.

How is it so cheap.

Can you use this at any theater? Or is it restricted to certain chains?

Go on their site, they have a list. Like 95% of my area theatres took it.

One thing to note, it's literally a day. If you see a movie at 8pm friday, you can't see another one until after 8pm on Saturday.

Sorcerer

If this takes off how is any non subscriber ever going to get a seat at a theater anymore? I know its limited to one movie a day but the bored, kids are just going to be taking advantage of this of every single day. I guess the theaters don't care because they want you to buy food and drinks.

When optimum gave away free movies on Tuesdays the crowding even on that smaller scale crowding was a real problem.

If this takes off how is any non subscriber ever going to get a seat at a theater anymore? I know its limited to one movie a day but the bored, kids are just going to be taking advantage of this of every single day. I guess the theaters don't care because they want you to buy food and drinks.

When optimum gave away free movies on Tuesdays the crowding even on that smaller scale crowding was a real problem.

Who is going to go to the theatre every day? Most people barely go 10 times a year I'm sure for the big movies.

duckroll

10 bucks a month for a movie every day at any cinema doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Are they about to fold and just want to collect as much money as possible to reduce their losses before that? I can't think of any way this makes sense financially for anyone involved other than the customer.

Who is going to go to the theatre every day? Most people barely go 10 times a year I'm sure for the big movies.

Sure but those people are unlikely to be attracted to such a service to begin with.

I'd sign up right now if I could see which theaters in my area it works at. Ridiculous that their website doesn't have that information...

sinkfla87

I'd sign up right now if I could see which theaters in my area it works at. Ridiculous that their website doesn't have that information...

I was about to say the same thing lol. I don't want to sign up unless I can see if my local theaters would accept it...

Would any of you kind souls who already signed up perhaps check and see if it's accepted at any theaters in Pensacola, Florida?

How is it so cheap.

One thing to note, it's literally a day. If you see a movie at 8pm friday, you can't see another one until after 8pm on Saturday.

Where is it listed on their site? I can't find it on their home page.

I would have used this years ago.

Now where every movie either has kids freaking out or like 4 people on their max brightness phones half the time with sounds on? Free movies couldn't get me in a theater anymore.

How is it so cheap.

They don't have that restriction any more. The clock resets every day at like 2am. So you could see a 9pm movie then a 10am matinee.

Futureman

That's... pretty ridiculous. I'll have to look into it. I know my friend uses in my area so I think it's pretty well supported in my town.

Any weird gotchas?

Yo this is amazing. If you only see one movie a month it's already saving you money at most theaters. I'll sign up in a heartbeat if I can just see the damn list of theaters that accept it...

Wow, I go to the movies quite a bit, so why not give it a try? Although the sign up link isn't working on the website for me. Anyone else having this problem?

I signed up, and there’s only one theater that’s 11 miles away (live in Chicago). That’s a far way when you live in a city. Really feel cheated; and now I’m hearing it’s 75 to cancel?

sinkfla87

Just a heads up to everyone, I just checked the cancellation fees. You're technically locked in for a year of service but you still pay on a monthly basis, so if you decide to cancel within the first few months it's $75 to cancel, and then it slowly drops as the year goes on. After the first year, there is no fee to cancel. Just something to keep in mind.

Yep.

Not signing up for shit unless I can get a damn theatre list.

I signed up, and there’s only one theater that’s 11 miles away (live in Chicago). That’s a far way when you live in a city. Really feel cheated; and now I’m hearing it’s 75 to cancel?

Yeah the fact they hid this behind registration is a little scammy. I wonder how much money they're going to make from people cancelling once they find out there isn't a participating theatre near them. This is going to blow up if they don't address this head on.

andthebeatgoeson

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/...-pay-10-a-month-go-to-the-movies-all-you-want

It sounds like they know it's unsustainable, they want to massively increase their numbers to try and find some alternative revenue stream before they Jack the price back up. I see no reason not to sign up and see how well this works.

Just a heads up to everyone, I just checked the cancellation fees. You're technically locked in for a year of service but you still pay on a monthly basis, so if you decide to cancel within the first few months it's $75 to cancel, and then it slowly drops as the year goes on. After the first year, there is no fee to cancel. Just something to keep in mind.
EDIT: Note that if you signed up for the trial, these fees kick in after the trial.

I signed up, and there's only one theater that's 11 miles away (live in Chicago). That's a far way when you live in a city. Really feel cheated; and now I'm hearing it's 75 to cancel?

Yep.

Not signing up for shit unless I can get a damn theatre list.

It's a scam?

Downloading the app doesn't let you view the theaters unless you are signed in. Which you can't do unless you give a credit card.

sensui-tomo

It's a scam?

I'd call it a scam if they dont allow you to see what theaters it works for and then if you sign up to see it and then get charged $75 to cancel it since there wouldnt be one near you... yeah the painting is on the wall.
maybe someone can post the locations or send a imgur link with screenshots of them.

Exis

I have been using this a month, and there are a couple of hitches.
- You cannot pre-book tickets you have to be within 100 yards of the theater. It makes seeing things a bit annoying I have to get to the theater early buy a ticket then come back.
- You only can use it to buy one ticket.
- The app is hot trash, never leaves me logged in.
- It also has my arthouse theaters so that is a plus.

With all that said, I have found that going to the movies, even by myself allows me to shut myself off for a bit and not multitask so this saves me a ton.

andthebeatgoeson

I'd call it a scam if they dont allow you to see what theaters it works for and then if you sign up to see it and then get charged $75 to cancel it since there wouldnt be one near you... yeah the painting is on the wall.

Yeah, even that link I posted makes it seem like a big scam.

FAQ

'Here's the list of theaters you can use.'

'Please see our website.'

And loop and loop.

sinkfla87

It's a scam?

I guess if you have participating theatres near you, then no (minus the fact you're locked in for a year). But if you don't and you sign up, well I guess we will see how they address this. I'm struggling to give them the benefit of the doubt though because it could have been simple to put a theatre search on the home page but I feel like they "paywalled" it for a reason, i.e. expecting revenue from cancellations.

kaskade

I have been using this a month, and there are a couple of hitches.
- You cannot pre-book tickets you have to be within 100 yards of the theater. It makes seeing things a bit annoying I have to get to the theater early buy a ticket then come back.
- You only can use it to buy one ticket.
- The app is hot trash, never leaves me logged in.
- It also has my arthouse theaters so that is a plus.

With all that said, I have found that going to the movies, even by myself allows me to shut myself off for a bit and not multitask so this saves me a ton.

That's kind of shitty, especially with the advent of the reserved seating.

Top Bottom