• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After playing RE5...is forced co-op really a necessary gaming trend?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I really hate mandatory co-op... but co-op itself is a great feature.

Some games don't need it (cough, bioshock 2, cough) but some games really shine with local co op (gears of war 2). It's a tough call because it's clear so much of RE5 was designed for co op play... when I was living alone, I hated it (online 1 + 1 co op blows, so that's not even an option) but now that I'm moving in with one of my friends, co op becomes awesome.

I can see where you are coming from, but honestly, I love this game more than 4 because of the co-op system. I enjoy almost any game more if I have the option to play through it with my buddies. Of course, there are exceptions, but, to me, this isn't one of them.

MoxManiac

I kinda agree. I like RE5 a lot, but the co-op does seem forced. I think it's a cool first for the series, but I typically like to take my time in these games and fart around.

Tain

I prefer developers to focus on one approach rather than many. Half-Life was a great game designed for one player, and Resident Evil 5 just happens to be a (likely) great game designed for two. And, hell, UT3 is a great game designed for twelve.

As it is, being designed for two people rather than one is one of the few reason I don't dismiss RE5 as entirely worse than RE4; it stands on its own as a different game because of it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I dont think you can blame it solely on reviewers. If you go back in a time machine when RE4 came out and rounded up everyone's wish list for the next RE game, I'm sure you can find tons of people wishing for a co-op mode to compliment the game.

The problem here is that Capcom heard those outcries and used co-op as the main focus of RE5 instead of making a side-scenario for a co-op mode.

It's probably a one off for the resident evil series I'm guessing but who knows. After a gazillion resident evil games I don't mind the change of pace for this one.

I doubt the makers of resident evil were "pressured" to make this one co-op. It's probably simply something they wanted to do.

I'm not sure what you mean about RE5 lacking the option for co-op. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point but co-op is disabled by default to prohibit anyone from joinging your game.

I am disappointed by a few elements of RE5's game design but I'm not sure co-op is specifically the problem, though I would have preferred that they approach that idea in a different way. Mainly I dislike the inventory system and level select. It makes the game far too exploitable. Sure, if you don't like the idea of replaying levels to rack up items and gold to "cheat" your way through later sections, don't do it, but I just feel the design lacks polish because this flaw exists.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Wario64 said:
The problem here is that Capcom heard those outcries and used co-op as the main focus of RE5 instead of making a side-scenario for a co-op mode.

This right here. Imagine if RE5 was based on single player, but had a mercinaries mode at the end that was optional co-op.

Shit, I'd take a brain dead Ashley over an AI / random xbox live dude Sheva.

Tain

If coop weren't the main focus of RE5, I'd probably care about the game a lot less. Even from a single-player perspective, honestly.

Sadist

Hate the forced co-op trend.

I played Resident Evil 5 for a bit and I like the game and all, but the singleplayer was a bit ruined by Sheva being a bit of a troublemaker. And I'm not that big of a fan of co-op games in general, so that makes RE 5 for me less enjoyable when compared to RE 4.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Stoney Mason said:
It's probably a one off for the resident evil series I'm guessing but who knows. After a gazillion resident evil games I don't mind the change of pace for this one.
I don't think they will go back. Maybe optional, but this is it. I wouldn't be shocked if the RE6 reboot is a full on shooter.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Nope, it was a great addition. I enjoyed the game much more than I have any other recent games due to the fact that I could enjoy the entire thing in CO-OP using system link. That said, I had an optimal setup (I had doubles of everything necessary to enjoy the game with a friend in the same room) and I realize that most people won't be able to enjoy it quite as easily.

Spasm

I know devs think they're being clever by designing co-op into the campaign, but I agree. Go back to Halo CE style co-op, where they don't even acknowledge there's a second Spartan.

BarrenMind said:
Mainly I dislike the inventory system and level select. It makes the game far too exploitable. Sure, if you don't like the idea of replaying levels to rack up items and gold to "cheat" your way through later sections, don't do it, but I just feel the design lacks polish because this flaw exists.

It's not an mmo where there is a global economy involved or what you do impacts someone else in some sense. I'm not sure what the issue is then.

BarrenMind said:
I'm not sure what you mean about RE5 lacking the option for co-op. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point but co-op is disabled by default to prohibit anyone from joinging your game.

I am disappointed by a few elements of RE5's game design but I'm not sure co-op is specifically the problem, though I would have preferred that they approach that idea in a different way. Mainly I dislike the inventory system and level select. It makes the game far too exploitable. Sure, if you don't like the idea of replaying levels to rack up items and gold to "cheat" your way through later sections, don't do it, but I just feel the design lacks polish because this flaw exists.

See, I actually like this, because as soon as I saw that my mind went "Loot!," and I was hooked.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I saw a lot of things wrong with RE5 as an RE game, but the Co-op was nowhere near that list. I thought they pulled it off close to flawlessly. They could have added more sections where you are forced to split up, but I thought the rest was done well enough.

Y2Kev said:
I don't think they will go back. Maybe optional, but this is it. I wouldn't be shocked if the RE6 reboot is a full on shooter.

We'll see. I think it is possible that it will increasingly include co-op features because clearly to extend the life of your game most people want things like that but I'm not sure the main plot storyline will be the co-op adventure in the same style as 5. We'll see though.

As far as action it is obvious since RE4 that the game is moving in a more action oriented direction although what you mean by full on shooter and what I mean might differ.

This shit needs to stop. Either have competent AI partner or have separate campaign for co-op.

And people should stop defending a game saying this game is meant to be played on co-op. If that's how it is, then do not give SP at all.

Tain

And people should stop defending a game saying this game is meant to be played on co-op. If that's how it is, then do not give SP at all.

I don't see what's wrong with saying the game is meant to be played with two people; it is. SP is a formality. I don't 100% disagree on your second point, but you're asking for a lot of balls on the part of any developer and publisher with that.

crowphoenix said:
See, I actually like this, because as soon as I saw that my mind went "Loot!," and I was hooked.

Heh, I had a similar reaction too. It reminds me of exporting / importing characters in Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. Or for that matter, playing Diablo II or Champions of Norrath online. As a gamer I'm happy about it, it's just a much more drastic change from RE4 than I was expecting. I even had expectations that the co-op would allow a Guest to jump into a game at any point with their items, but no progress or inventory would save to their local system.

It's weird that after adapting to RE as an action series I now have to adapt to it being a dungeon crawler. :lol

Mamesj

Banned
Not necessary, but happening. Seems like every game has to have an online mode shoe-horned in or reviewers/players knock it.

but is there anyone still playing the Darkness online MP today? No, but they talk about a lot of the lackluster aspects of the SP mode, which could've been ironed out had the team not spent time making a shitty online mode.

and now Riddick and Bioshock 2 are both getting MP modes.

On the other hand, I would LOVE to see a Ninja Gaiden/DMC type game with well-implemented co-op or MP of some sort.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
xn5c0g.jpg

capcom: "look, er uh, we have included co-op in our newest resident evil as you requested!"

s2f709.jpg

capcom: "i'm sick you people. you're just a bunch of fickle mushheads."

us: "they're right! give us hell, capcom!"

And honestly the major measure of whether this was a successful experiment or not for RE 5 is sales. If sales are great and beyond expectations then we will probably see more of this. If sales are below expectations then we will probably see less of this. I'm also fine with that.

Nizz

Duck Amuck said:
Yeah, I don't have a problem with co-op, I just wish traditionally single player franchises like RE or friggin Ninja Gaiden shouldn't be pressured to having to include online options because of review pressure or because it's what everyone else does.
I agree. I'm old fashioned when it comes to single player games. I'm more the "lone wolf" type in that I like to play games solo. I'm not too thrilled with the fact that a lot of games seem to be shooting for co-op in the campaign mode. I'd rather take a purer, solid single player experience than have an AI partner for a considerate amount of time in the game which could cause you grief (I still have "great" memories of Dom from Gears 1).

jmdajr

I have had so much fun playing co-op games that I can only hope for even better ones in the future. For me this is THE way to play. But yes, the ai needs to be better when you cannot find a buddy to play with.

IzzyF3

I do admit that having the Sheva's AI blowing through all of my ammo is ridiculously frustrating. She sprays machine gun bullets at a downed enemy for god sake.

The reason why the inventory space is so small is because we're supposed to manage it with a co-op partner. I would have liked a single player mode that excluded Sheva and increased my inventory space. Then again actually playing co-op with reduced inventory space will be really annoying.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I don't really care. It's just like when Halo came along, we thought all there'd be to play was FPS games. Yeah, there's a fuckton of them now, but I can still find genres I like to play.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I hope not. Some genres just don't benefit from co-op at all.

My cousin and I were going to play RE5 co-op yesterday and about 5 minutes in we decided to just take turns in Bad Company instead :lol

gcubed

RE5 in co-op with a friend is awesome, i havent enjoyed playing through a game in a while as i had with this. That being said. Trying to play it SP with an AI controlled Sheva is freaking atrocious.

LCfiner

I love co-op games but I feel they need to be designed to work well as single player games, too.

making co-op essential to the experience will block out a large number of people from truly getting the most out of the game.

it's a tricky balance.

I can still enjoy myself playing Gears SP, but it takes on a whole new level when my buddy is online and we play it together.

Full Recovery said:
Forced co-op needs to stop. But some games can benefit from co-op.
All games benefit from optional co-op, that's a fact.

Hell I remember enjoying Armorines: Project SWARM (PSone) for a few minutes because of co-op. :lol

StuBurns

Banned
I adore co-op, it's the most fun I've had with gaming, but I hate partner AI.

I think, ideally, every developer would do what Insomniac did with R2 (but with a game I like).

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
NES style co-op is fine (make Chris #2 have an alternate costume). Please don't stick me with a brain-dead AI partner in a horror game.

TheExodu5

Banned
The only people complaining about RE5 being coop are the ones who didn't play it coop.

RE5 is hands down the best coop game ever made. It really blew me away.

Torquill

You do know you are not forced to play in co-op mode, right? You can play single player and prevent online people from taking over Sheva.

I'm guessing this is really a rant about having a partner the entire game? Cause I'm fairly certain you couldn't have missed the ability to play single player :p.

MoogPaul

When you think about it, the co-op in RE5 is kind of lame considering how amazing it could have been if the series remained puzzle heavy.

I like the idea of co-op but most of the time, it comes off as forced.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Torquill said:
Is this rant really about Co-op play or having an AI partner the entire game?

But the permanent AI partner is there because the game is so built around co-op, so it really doesn't matter what the rant is about.

The coop is great in RE5 and I'm really enjoying the game, but I agree that it weakens the single player. As a result I don't think it's near as good as RE4 which was an amazing game.

Edit: And also I don't like the trend that some sort of multiplayer HAS to be in every game. Like with RE5 it often takes away from the single player mode.

As for coop the game that does it best for me (and games that have a similar style) is Saints Row 2. It's in there, but it doesn't have any impact on the single player mode.

Torquill

Ysiadmihi said:
But the permanent AI partner is there because the game is so built around co-op, so it really doesn't matter what the rant is about.
I disagree vehemently. If it was actually forced co-op you'd see me in here ranting too :p.

MoogPaul said:
When you think about it, the co-op in RE5 is kind of lame considering how amazing it could have been if the series remained puzzle heavy.

I like the idea of co-op but most of the time, it comes off as forced.
Unfortunately, RE did away with a lot of the puzzles with 4. All RE5 did was take that a step further.

ibu

I dont think I will ever be able to finish even the demo unless I play it in co-op... looks great... amazing but archaic controls are killing me man.

I know it has been said, but it's kinda funny how we have the Killzone 2 "OH NO, NO COOP WORST SHIT EVER" to the RE5 "OH NO, COOP WORST SHIT EVER"

Top Bottom