• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

The arena is really cool. I like how you can pick your team mate and also talk to the other team before you go in. Small details but it makes it much more interesting.

Ok so you said before that you had all but one piece of the wanderer finesse set. Can you tell me where your framing that one? The legs are awesome, but I got them in the haxi damn from a chest, anywhere better to farm for it? I also got another head piece from a finesse set that's black and red from the same dungeon can't remember the name though.

I got all four pieces in Detyre, The Hollowlands; Two in chests, two random drops. What level were you when you got the piece? I never got a mid/high level set drop in the Haxhi, only low level sets.

EDarkness

Amazon just emailed me $20 credit for this game even though I bought it full price, their price guarantee is great. Just preordered Mass Effect 3 which will end up being like $34 with release day delivery since you get $10 credit with that game.

I got the same e-mail, but I thought it was spam so I ignored it. I guess it was legit. Perhaps I'll use it for something.

1stStrike

Banned
Okay who said this game was easy? I am in Detyre and I keep getting up against 2+ mages at once. All of their spells are homing so I can't dodge shit and when I try to block I still lose a ton of health. When they attack at the same time I am fucked b/c I can't dodge.

There's a couple parts of the game in the first area that can be pretty challenging, but by the half way point everything is ridiculously easy, even on hard. Even if you don't craft anything your character just becomes crazy overpowered. I honestly can't recall the last time I fought a battle that was challenging. The last one was probably the House of Ballads quest line end boss, which was a long time ago.

EDarkness

I'm sad that I can't have any skank- tastic outfits for my elf wench like Alyn Shir's got on.

Why not make it a unique robe/ 2 slot outfit?

I think it would be cool to have some less armor- like designs available for both genders. I'd love to wander around in some of the NPC clothes. Not those lowly peasant/ farmer clothes either. Gotta be stylin' when I go to town!

Maybe I just haven't come across any interesting ones since I've spent more time on my big brute of a man.

You know, considering how great the bodies of the women look in this game, I'm surprised there aren't more "skimpy" outfits available. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't wear any of that kind of stuff on my character, but just surprised they didn't have any of those kinds of armor pieces as a option for people who want to look that way.

Davedough

I tried browsing the official Amalur forums and had horrible flashbacks of gamefaqs. I feel dirty.

Is there anywhere to find what the armor sets are? I'm trying to find anything that shows them and their stats so I can figure out which sets i want to try and farm.

Rad Agast

Okay who said this game was easy? I am in Detyre and I keep getting up against 2+ mages at once. All of their spells are homing so I can't dodge shit and when I try to block I still lose a ton of health. When they attack at the same time I am fucked b/c I can't dodge.

If you can't dodge then sprint sideways. You can avoid all spells that way.

Sothpaw

As finesse I have never come close to death. I would just smoke bomb, insta-kill one mage then have my way with the other. Spam potions if I ever get low.

Rad Agast

Not when there are 2-3 sets of each coming at you.

Just sprint around them in circles for a bit and once they stop, blink at one and knock it down with an attack. Blink into chakram juggle attack is good for this since you can dodge cancel it if you need to.

Just finished the House of Valour quest line. It was entertaining for an arena battle quest.
Edit:

I hope to see more characters like the sorceress and rogue in later areas.

Luthos

Any reason I should keep the Ballads Signet Ring or the
King's Token?
? Or should I just sell them. Because I can't stash them. =\

Rad Agast

I think the House of Ballads signet ring opens doors in Fae dungeons through out the game (not sure but that's why I'm keeping it).

soultron

Banned
Oh man. I got the game for my birthday. I want to play it so badly but have a midterm tomorrow and 3 assignments due on Friday. Frig!

And not when the camera actively trying to screw you around >:

There's an arena? WHERE?

Please don't tell me it's a part of DLC shenanigans. Please.

Assuming you bought it new and entered the silly online pass, its in the desert area; look for where House of Valor is written on the overworld map.

Best faction quest line in the game, just finished it.

scy

Huh ... just noticed that in Didenhil you can
save the guy who acts as the guard up front
. Didn't see that option the first time through but I guess I just never went back to talk to him...

Makes me wonder how many other
quests have unmarked things to be done

Hawk269

There's a couple parts of the game in the first area that can be pretty challenging, but by the half way point everything is ridiculously easy, even on hard. Even if you don't craft anything your character just becomes crazy overpowered. I honestly can't recall the last time I fought a battle that was challenging. The last one was probably the House of Ballads quest line end boss, which was a long time ago.

This is why I stopped playing the game and waiting for a patch. While the game is fun, when there is no challenge, no fear of dying it becomes kind of pointless when you can destroy everything is sight.

It is pretty sad actually. I mean they put so much thought and awesome things into this game, the graphics, the sound, the awesome loot, the great quests, the lack of hardly any real bugs (QA did a great job here)...with all that they forgot about GAME BALANCE. While the QA team squashed many bugs and all that, they did not test for Game Balance which can kill a game and for has killed this game.

Game balance is so important in any game..Imagine Halo and you are overpowered and you can destroy everything in thegame without any fear of dying, well you dont have much of game other that a great story and some good looking enviroments.

I just think that they spent way too much time focusing on other aspects of the game, but no one talked about game balance and how does the game play. I think the QA team was told find and kill every bug you can, but they forgot to tell them about game balance.

Did anyone encounter some serious framerate issues in that dungeon for the Warsworn quest
(the one with the waves of mages at the end?)

It was pretty nuts...every time one of the mages let loose a fireball the game would start chugging. And considering there were tons of them spamming crap at me, it was almost impossible to play. Then I foolishly cast meteor which froze the game for a couple seconds. Made me panic for a moment there since I haven't saved in forever.

I then played some other quests right after that and didn't run into any problems, so I'm guessing it was an isolated thing. The whole Warsworn quest sorta blows, and that was pretty much the icing on a crap sandwich.

EDIT: And the audio was so delayed during that part, too. I know there's some sound delays in general (at least on the PS3 version), but these were worse than usual. I'd hear the "whoosh" of those tornados a second after they've already hit me. Sorta disorienting considering those are my only tells when they're attacking from off-screen.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Potions need a cooldown or some sort of drinking animation. The instantaneous consumption we have now is very easily abused.

Potions have a cooldown. It isn't a very effective one though since it isn't shared, each type/size of potion has its own.

Just sprint around them in circles for a bit and once they stop, blink at one and knock it down with an attack. Blink into chakram juggle attack is good for this since you can dodge cancel it if you need to.

Just finished the House of Valour quest line. It was entertaining for an arena battle quest.
Edit:

I hope to see more characters like the sorceress and rogue in later areas.
That's pretty much been my strategy if there's 2 or more sorcerers in a battle, too. Run around, 2 chakram hits (3rd takes too long to recover), run around, repeat. It's slow and tedious, but about the only effective way I can think of approaching it. :\

Honestly not a fan of those guys at all. They're the only enemy class I don't look forward to fighting (and also my recent bout of framerate issues when they're around certainly doesn't help matters either).

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Alright, just watched Curt's segment on Conan.

All I've got to say is that Curt and Conan had better be worked into one of the DLC expansions somehow. That skit with Curt kicking Conan's ass in the game was hilarious. :lol

scy

I just think that they spent way too much time focusing on other aspects of the game, but no one talked about game balance and how does the game play. I think the QA team was told find and kill every bug you can, but they forgot to tell them about game balance.

There are parts of the game that are harder and I do enjoy that the game does get progressively more difficult ... if you avoid some of the more overpowered things in the game. Which is unfortunate that it works out that way rather than just being harder throughout.

As an aside, I'd like to note that at the very least, Primary/Secondary weapon bonuses are kept separate. +Damage% on your Secondary doesn't transfer to your Primary. Oh, the terrible things I would've done if that wasn't the case for a single weapon build...

Rokam

60 hours played, finished everything, except for 3-4 random achievements, sidequests and lorestones all found/completed. Great game, looking forward to doing another playthrough after ME3. Now time to marinate and gather my thoughts on what they can do better and what needs no improvement. I will say that I ran into zero gamebreaking and zero game hampering bugs, pretty damn impressive.

Arken2121

Love the game, well worth $60. The only gripe I have is the crafting system isn't worth it at max level. I was hoping the crafting system would at least match the drops, this isn't an mmorpg.

scy

Love the game, well worth $60. The only gripe I have is the crafting system isn't worth it at max level. I was hoping the crafting system would at least match the drops, this isn't an mmorpg.

Barring a few (and very, very few) Uniques, Mastercrafted equipment is basically the best loot in the game. Especially with the fact that you can stack bonuses as high as you want on them.

Wallach

I don't know about that. I do wish you could customize the appearance of crafted loot more, but I think in general it's easier to make powerful gear than to find it. It is especially easier to stack damage multipliers through crafting.

Arken2121

Barring a few (and very, very few) Uniques, Mastercrafted equipment is basically the best loot in the game. Especially with the fact that you can stack bonuses as high as you want on them.

Right but in the end, the drops are better and for someone like me who wants to find it all, it sort of disappoints. I really love the game so this is a very small gripe.

I'm liking the game less now. It's still beautiful graphically and I like the loot etc, but even the small patches of difficulty spikes that I was experiencing are now completely gone. Using the game's crafting system shouldn't break the entire f*cking experience. Props to them for making a virtually bug-free game, but holy shit this is the easiest game on the hardest difficulty setting that I've ever played. And the only thing I've crafted are gems. I hate to sound so disappointed, because for those times when there was still a challenge I loved the game. I wish someone on the design or test team would have pointed out how completely broken the game is if you simply choose to do the side-quests or pop a couple health gems in your gear. Here's hoping they focus on that in the sequel.

scy

Right but in the end, the drops are better and for someone like me who wants to find it all, it sort of disappoints. I really love the game so this is a very small gripe.

Non-Uniques just cannot be better than crafted equipment and the amount of better Uniques I can probably count on one-hand, to be honest. Uniques have a (slight) base damage boost but many of them waste potential itemization on bonuses you don't really need so it's sort of wasted.

And if you're basing "better" off the value in the upper-right, do note that it incorrectly factors all damage over time effects as raw damage and it doesn't factor +Damage% of any kind.

Edit: And if you don't min/max, I suppose it doesn't matter much anyway :x

I don't know about that. I do wish you could customize the appearance of crafted loot more, but I think in general it's easier to make powerful gear than to find it. It is especially easier to stack damage multipliers through crafting.

Kind of a shame that so much of the art assets probably went to waste with all the Blacksmithing done :(

I'm liking the game less now. It's still beautiful graphically and I like the loot etc, but even the small patches of difficulty spikes that I was experiencing are now completely gone. Using the game's crafting system shouldn't break the entire f*cking experience. Props to them for making a virtually bug-free game, but holy shit this is the easiest game on the hardest difficulty setting that I've ever played. And the only thing I've crafted are gems. I hate to sound so disappointed, because for those times when there was still a challenge I loved the game. I wish someone on the design or test team would have pointed out how completely broken the game is if you simply choose to do the side-quests of pop a couple health gems in your gear. Here's hoping they focus on that in the sequel.

Spread the points around and problem solved? Skyrim had the same issue too with Blacksmithing, seems like its just the nature of open world games.

They should tie skill point levels in the game to char levels though.

Spread the points around and problem solved? Skyrim had the same issue too with Blacksmithing, seems like its just the nature of open world games.

They should tie skill point levels in the game to char levels though.

I'm not a big fan of self-induced difficulty. It really appears that if you want a challenge, you need to just stick to the main quest line and never craft. That to me is just unacceptable in a game that has so many side-quests and crafting options. It's an incredibly fun game early on, but they had to know what would happen if people leveled up a bunch doing the extra content and crafted some items. On Hard the Balor fight should have been really hard. Instead I just stood there and took all his hits with no fear of ever dying at level 21. Sucks to feel this way.

Is Quake useless? From the couple times I used it, it did piss weak damage.

I need 2 abilities from the Might section to go with Smoke Bomb and Blood Honing from Finesse.

ReaperXL7

Might sound strange but maybe they just give you too much choice overall. I'm really starting to understand why most loot based games don't have crafting in them Most of the time. Crafting systems always seem easy to break in my opinion. I personally don't have the issue because I only care About the unique And set pieces, and most of the time I choose what I think looks cool rather then what has better stats. I wonder how much not having the crafting at all would have made the game easier to balance.

Is Quake useless? From the couple times I used it, it did piss weak damage.

I need 2 abilities from the Might section to go with Smoke Bomb and Blood Honing from Finesse.

I leveled Quake all the way up and it continued to do shit damage so I respecced out of it. Seemed genuinely worthless except it sometimes stunned an enemy., but it looked cool.

koji

For the people having trouble with the FOV/camera on the PC version. I fooled around a bit with the widescreen fix but didn't really like the results. Yesterday I read this on the official boards.

The fix from Widescreengaming is excellent. It has a very odd "feature" though. If you try manually setting your correct resolution and then adjust the FOV to what you think will be good, it typically looks like crap during cut scenes, "boss" entrances and reckoning mode. Going above 70 also makes any hilly area look like an amusement park ride.

However, if you set your resolution to 5736x1080 and the FOV 170 everything looks completely perfect. Even if your monitor doesn't support that, it works; makes me kind of think that it's just setting your monitor to it's max resolution and best FOV automatically with this, because it's worked on various monitor types and resolutions.

link

When you use those values it runs and looks great, no fisheye, no broken cutscenes, questlog working! I'm using those values on a 16:10 1920x1200 monitor, don't ask me why and how it works but it works :)

If I want to keep the challenge as high as possible throughout the game, is it safe to say I should just avoid crafting all together, and just go with the drops?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm not a big fan of self-induced difficulty. It really appears that if you want a challenge, you need to just stick to the main quest line and never craft. That to me is just unacceptable in a game that has so many side-quests and crafting options. It's an incredibly fun game early on, but they had to know what would happen if people leveled up a bunch doing the extra content and crafted some items. On Hard the Balor fight should have been really hard. Instead I just stood there and took all his hits with no fear of ever dying at level 21. Sucks to feel this way.

And on the other end of the spectrum, I actually enjoy being able to transform my hero into an unstoppable force of destruction after full investments in both Sagecraft and Blacksmithing.

It's satisfying to see my previously limp finesse/sorcery hero can now wreck havoc on the world, hahaha.

Top Bottom