• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy - |OT| The truth about 8.

vall03

Do you like any drpgs? If so, what do you generally look for in them?

I can't answer as i haven't played this game yet, but that's sort of vital information for anyone to properly answer you.

The base combat is the same as with most of the general classes. The main difference with this title would be the story / setting and crafting system. Along with a few gameplay features such as MP goes by the old school type of design which is limited uses per levels of magic. Vs an pool of MP which spells draw from.

If it was the base combat that you did not enjoy, then you might not enjoy this game also.

Let us know what you did not like about Demon Gaze in particular and should be easier to give you a more exact answer.

To be honest, I'm not very picky in DRPGs, I just want a solid dungeon design along with a simple yet deep battle system and customization. But I really can't say much with Demon Gaze. Spend a good 15+ hours but it just didn't click with me. As for what I didn't like, first, money seem hard to come by along with the annoying pay rent system. Then, getting equipment is luck based with the summoning on Demon circles (sorry I forgot what they called). I remember farming for a day or two but never got anything good or even decent. For the battle system, its weird, I like it and hate it at the same time. Random mobs are easy, but there are sudden difficulty spikes during bosses, didn't feel balanced for me.

Sorry, if my thoughts are kinda vague since I don't usually say much about the games I usually play even those I didn't like.

CrovaxPSO

To be honest, I'm not very picky in DRPGs, I just want a solid dungeon design along with a simple yet deep battle system and customization. But I really can't say much with Demon Gaze. Spend a good 15+ hours but it just didn't click with me. As for what I didn't like, first, money seem hard to come by along with the annoying pay rent system. Then, getting equipment is luck based with the summoning on Demon circles (sorry I forgot what they called). I remember farming for a day or two but never got anything good or even decent. For the battle system, its weird, I like it and hate it at the same time. Random mobs are easy, but there are sudden difficulty spikes during bosses, didn't feel balanced for me.

Sorry, if my thoughts are kinda vague since I don't usually say much about the games I usually play even those I didn't like.

There's no rent system for characters in this game, so you don't have to worry about that. Money can be scarce early on but there's not a ton to buy either, so it's not a huge deal. Loot is plentiful, so while you might not get the specific thing you're looking for, you're bound to get a bunch of other useful gear.

As for the difference in difficulty between regular battles and bosses, I'm almost certain it's by design. It's like that in all of Experience's games (Stranger of Sword City made random encounters more threatening but still fairly simple compared to bosses). The relatively simple encounters make it really easy to grind out a couple levels or gather up a bunch of code chips quickly, should you want to.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Yeah as Crovax mentioned this game does not have the rent system and you will be able to get a full party of 6 members right away after clearing the prologue stuff. So that takes care of that worry.

As with most titles from the start money will be a slight issue, but you really do not need to buy a lot of things early on. Most of that cash will be spent identifying items initially until your Academic learns the identify skill themselves.

Loot is all found from enemies and certain points in a dungeon, but mostly from drops after battle. So there is no having to constantly go to the exact same spots to do the gem dropping thing like Demon Gaze. Though it is suggested to have an Academic in the party as its sort of like the party "thief" as it can identify and disarm the traps depending on their stats lv.

Also as Crovax mentioned that generally is how Exp Inc games are, with a lot of the random mobs outside of certain ones not being as much of a threat and it is the boss battles which can put up a challenge at time. Esp end game related stuff.

Going back to items Operation Abyss also has a lot more equipment to be found that Demon Gaze, so it is not that hard to get yourself a bunch of good loot in a decent amount of time as long as you keep fighting.

Also if you want to try out other classes, you can use your surplus cash to literally buy exp for characters leveling them up that way.

Hopefully that helps give you a better idea about the game based off of your concerns with Demon Gaze!

Thanks. ^^

Went and did a quick look through some JP wikis and gathered whatever general info could find. Stuff on gfaqs seemed to be all over the place and did not find one particular good answer from the quick pass had done using google.

Parakeetman

There is a weird purple status on my Samurai, "exhausted". How do you heal that? What does it do?

Go to the medibay. Though its pretty expensive. There are items that can heal it also but those are limited in quantity.

Thats if its the effect am thinking of.

Does the game come with a manual? Since I just checked the internet and didnt get any hits back for any info on digital versions available to look at at the moment. Since it might have all of the status effects listed there.

CrovaxPSO

There is a weird purple status on my Samurai, "exhausted". How do you heal that? What does it do?

Lowers stats by 1 level's worth I believe. Easiest way to cure it is the vacation option in the healing lab. The "cure all" Open Pandora spell will cure it as well but that's later in the game. Might be some other ways but I always just used the lab.

Edit: Also just remembered, I think if someone with that debuff dies and you try to revive them without curing it first, they'll die for good and be deleted? Something like that?

Parakeetman

Lowers stats by 1 level's worth I believe. Easiest way to cure it is the vacation option in the healing lab. The "cure all" Open Pandora spell will cure it as well but that's later in the game. Might be some other ways but I always just used the lab.

Edit: Also just remembered, I think if someone with that debuff dies and you try to revive them without curing it first, they'll die for good and be deleted? Something like that?

Yeah for the 燃え尽き that seems to be an effect according to the JP wiki. I always cured it first in the medbay whenever it happened. D: So never knew that there was actual character loss in the game, though one of the wikis state the following below.

If your character dies with the that status on them and you try to recover them before removing that status effect, it seems that you will lose the character. So you have to remove that effect first, then once it is removed, revive said character and it should be ok.

CrovaxPSO

Yeah for the 燃え尽き that seems to be an effect according to the JP wiki. I always cured it first in the medbay whenever it happened. D:

If your character dies with the that status on them and you try to recover them before removing that status effect, it seems that you will lose the character. So you have to remove that effect first, then once it is removed, revive said character and it should be ok.

The nice thing about the cure all Open Pandora spell is that even if someone is dead with that debuff, it'll heal it and then revive them normally. Saved me big time on one of the last bosses in Babel haha.

Parakeetman

No idea, I don't follow him either. Would be interesting if he does and that was the reason :D.

Looks like he did a Demon Gaze review in the past and seems that he quite enjoyed the title.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...1337-Demon-Gaze-Review-Grinding-My-Business.2

"NSFW" warning just due to the infamous picture of Pinay showing her affection for laundry as the articles picture.

The nice thing about the cure all Open Pandora spell is that even if someone is dead with that debuff, it'll heal it and then revive them normally. Saved me big time on one of the last bosses in Babel haha.

Yeah Open Pandora is pretty much the one stop fix it for when shit hits the fan lol.

Saphirax

The Operation Abyss PAL Limited Edition arrived this morning. Super-cool packaging in the format of a big book, took out the game and placed the box with the CD and artbook on my bookshelf instead of next to my Vita games :D Also flipped through the artbook, and to my big joy, it is full of translated remarks by the design team. Great stuff, love that.

Playing the game has to wait a bit, though, as I haven't finished Demon Gaze yet (took longer breaks inbetween but am almost finished I suppose according to the boss trophies..). But after reading the great OP, I am even more looking forward to this. I love DRPGs and cyberpunk and this seems to be exactly my kind of game!

Hope you others already playing it have a good time with it!

bobohoro

Games giving me options are stupid.
Can't really start since I don't know if I want to play in normal or classic mode.
Already redid the opening part three times, still unsure.

Everything else looks like great fun. So many stats and submenus to play around with, will have another look at it tomorrow. Hopefully I've decided on my mode by then as well. :O

CrovaxPSO

Games giving me options are stupid.
Can't really start since I don't know if I want to play in normal or classic mode.
Already redid the opening part three times, still unsure.

Everything else looks like great fun. So many stats and submenus to play around with, will have another look at it tomorrow. Hopefully I've decided on my mode by then as well. :O

Classic mode can be pretty funny with some of the armor combinations you end up with. But for me, the new "Basic" mode UI is way too cool to not use. And the portraits are awesome.

autoduelist

The rent system was definitely odd. It didn't really affect me as I generally never buy stuff in stores and rely on found items (I'm a gold and item hoarder).

I actually enjoyed the Demon Circles as well -- since i always rely on found lewt, they helped me to focus on specific weapons/characters i knew I needed to equip better. But I never really farmed much (other than for the platinum) since I generally make do with what I have.

As for bosses, well, bosses are always going to be harder than basic mobs. It's hard to avoid that, I mean, they are bosses after all.

However, it's common (and good) design to have a 'hard' boss at the end of the 'intro' (say, end of dungeon 1 or 2). Usually that boss is making sure you're playing the game right -- using buffs/debuffs, elemental damage, and any other game specific concepts in order to move forward. It's meant to ensure you're acquainted with all the intricacies of combat; unfortunately, some people hit those bosses and instead of trying out special skills/etc just grind mobs until they can brute force them (and burn out on the game in the process). It's always best when you hit a boss like that in any rpg (not just drpgs) that you sit back and take stock and make sure you're 'playing right' (whatever that means for the specific game). The most infamous boss of this type of all time is the Matidor in Nocturne -- you can either learn the press turn system inside and out or... die.

Looking forward to it, my LE should be here sometime next week.

I enjoyed Demon Gaze a fair bit, and I dig this games style even more than Demon Gaze.

cj_iwakura

kind of, but the crafting is MUCH easier to use lol. in Class of heroes 1 it's a pain in the ...

It got a lot easier in 2, though.

Anyway, the mods approved sharing this, and I feel it's of interest to anyone on the fence about Operation Abyss.

A demo of the PC version for the original game, Generation Xth.

The art isn't as detailed as OA's, but it gets the job done(some might even prefer the low key look).

gx14.jpg

Seda

Confirming that a simple mention of a fantranslated demo for Generation Xth is appropriate for this thread.

Anyway, I'm still not too far in Operation Abyss, but I'll be probably dumping hours into it this weekend.

Parakeetman

So it's a pretty standard Wizardry descendant, with Class of Heroes 1's crafting mechanic?

The crafting mechanic is something that came from Wizardry Xth which was a game that members of both of the companies belonged to originally if the history is correct. Exp Inc and Zerodiv was made from folks who were originally at Michaelsoft.

kind of, but the crafting is MUCH easier to use lol. in Class of heroes 1 it's a pain in the ...

Not really its still pretty much the same thing for the most part. In one of the versions of the game they had balanced things with it as the system made it far too easy to become OP fast lol.

Anyway, I'm still not too far in Operation Abyss, but I'll be probably dumping hours into it this weekend.

Looking forward to hearing more after you progress further then!

----

Just added another review to the list that popped up on metacritic.

Granak

Neo Member
Currently working on this for a review over at APGNation. Between Witcher 3, NISA sending me a review code and Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 also on the docket yer boy is a busy bee. Mind if I shoot you a PM with the review link when it's live, Parakeetman?

Parakeetman

Currently working on this for a review over at APGNation. Between Witcher 3, NISA sending me a review code and Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 also on the docket yer boy is a busy bee. Mind if I shoot you a PM with the review link when it's live, Parakeetman?

Yep that will work out just fine and will add it into the review section!

|OT|s don't get to set enforcement of custom thread-specific rules or decide what is on and off-topic for the thread. If someone wants to talk about the game or related content (how it relates to older versions or other games in the series, what the implications of the character design are, etc.), either positively or negatively, then that's on-topic in the game's official thread. If someone takes a related topic and drags the thread off-topic, we'll respond to that the same way we normally would when a thread goes off-topic. Otherwise, please try to be respectful about other posters who want to talk about the game, even if they don't want to talk about it quite the same way you do.

Parakeetman

Checked metacritic again to see if anything new popped up for reviews and it seems like nothing yet? I wonder why that is since the game came out in Europe on the 5th and usually you would think that there would have been review copies sent out ahead of time to the usual EU related gaming sites?

As of today there only was that one new review which was added to the reviews section. Considering how popular Demon Gaze was, I had imagined more reviews were going to be done due to interest in the devs.

Guess we will see how things go on the US side as we get even closer to release / after release.

dkoy

Just downloaded and jumped in. I decided to make my own party after the introductory sequence and didn't know about the whole unity points resetting thing. Does it affect anything big? And damn the character creation takes a long time. There are a lot of things to choose and I have no clue what each of them does but I went ahead anyway. Does having both Good and Evil party members have a big affect?

This game is waaay more complicated than Demon Gaze. Art and music are great and dub is pretty good so far. Liking what I see.

CrovaxPSO

Just downloaded and jumped in. I decided to make my own party after the introductory sequence and didn't know about the whole unity points resetting thing. Does it affect anything big? And damn the character creation takes a long time. There are a lot of things to choose and I have no clue what each of them does but I went ahead anyway. Does having both Good and Evil party members have a big affect?

This game is waaay more complicated than Demon Gaze. Art and music are great and dub is pretty good so far. Liking what I see.

The unity gauge fills as you battle and just drains when you swap members and some other stuff. Not a big deal at all (unless you have no gauge and run into a tough battle, haha).

Alignment only really affects some gear. For example, a lot of Knight gear can't be used by evil characters.

Parakeetman

Not really in regards to the alignment, the thing you have to consider more is which Blood Code you want as the alignment will decide that. Also certain pieces of equipment can be worn only by certain alignments. Though there is an accessory that allows you to bypass that. There is also gender specific equipment too.

That other bit which had written in the new player section honestly Id dint pay much attention to it with my playthrough, so you shouldnt have to worry too much unless you were trying to do some serious stats crunching. In that event wouldnt be able to help you out as am not really familiar with how the system for all of that works lol.

Yeah there is a lot more things going on with the game and other things taken from their older design used in a previous title before becoming Exp Inc. But a lot of the other basics that exist like in Demon Gaze is there too such as how the classes generally work.

Seda

Checked metacritic again to see if anything new popped up for reviews and it seems like nothing yet? I wonder why that is since the game came out in Europe on the 5th and usually you would think that there would have been review copies sent out ahead of time to the usual EU related gaming sites?

As of today there only was that one new review which was added to the reviews section. Considering how popular Demon Gaze was, I had imagined more reviews were going to be done due to interest in the devs.

Guess we will see how things go on the US side as we get even closer to release / after release.

Pretty sure codes didn't go out until about one week ago (although preview carts did go out around april). Reviewers, including the those who have posted in this thread, probably just haven't had enough time yet.

I'm currently just playing around with various party coordinations in the first half. Trying to get some better weapons in the meantime.

Parakeetman

Pretty sure codes didn't go out until about one week ago (although preview carts did go out around april). Reviewers, including the those who have posted in this thread, probably just haven't had enough time yet.

I'm currently just playing around with various party coordination in the first half. Trying to get some better weapons in the meantime.

I wonder if other places are putting more priority on like Steins Gate with that being a more well known title. Makes sense though with what you said, thanks for the insight on that.

With how much items this game has, most def does take a bit of time to go and get things sorted out haha.

Saphirax

Oh, someone wants to talk to me. I wonder what he has to s-

Nevermind, rofl.

Minor nitpicks aside, I'm enjoying the game so far. And, I'll probably jinx myself, but I've yet to experience any difficulties. Think I had a harder time with Demon Gaze at start than with this.

SephLuis

I think most reviews will take a while. This game isn't easy and you can get lost in a few parts.
I have been using a japanese wiki when I get to a roadblock. Don't know if other reviewers are going better or worse than me at this.

bobohoro

Settled on Basic Mode, the overall look of the UI and stuff is just easier on the eyes. And the portraits mesh better with the story characters. Maybe I'll do a second run with visible equipment models later on for fun.

Just finished my first mission to hunt a wanted variant and until now it has been a breeze in terms of combat. Understanding all the systems and getting the hang of item descriptions on the other hand takes a while. Overall the game has a nice atmosphere and a pretty good gameplay flow, can't really say anymore at this point, but first impression is positive.

Saphirax

Is it important to ace the exams? I only got an 'average' score. I assume the reward you get is different, but is that all? :eek:

Mononoke

Banned
Seriously, incredible job Parakeetman with the OP. I know I already said that, but I came back and read it again. It's really well done and informative.

I'm really excited for this game, not going to lie. Demon Gaze was a game that just clicked with me. I'm not expecting this to be 1:1 the same game. I get the differences. But I just remember getting into Demon Gaze and never having played that genre before. And I got my ass kicked hard. Really hard. I almost gave up several times. But folks on GAF pushed me to get better. To understand the mechanics better. And so it took a lot of time and work understanding how the game actually works. But I finally beat the game after like 90 + hours. It was glorious. I actually felt more achievement with that game, then I did with Bloodborne.

The thing that was crazy about Demon Gaze, is I never seemed to get a complete handle on it. Like I would go 10 hours thinking I was top shit, just to get my ass knocked back down again. But that actually made the game more enjoyable. So I'm hoping for more of that with this game. I just got done beating Persona Q and Mind Zero (didn't love the latter as much). So I'm ready for another dungeon crawler that is great.

Still waiting for Amazon to ship mine.

cj_iwakura

Seriously, incredible job Parakeetman with the OP. I know I already said that, but I came back and read it again. It's really well done and informative.

I'm really excited for this game, not going to lie. Demon Gaze was a game that just clicked with me. I'm not expecting this to be 1:1 the same game. I get the differences. But I just remember getting into Demon Gaze and never having played that genre. And I got my ass kicked hard. Really hard. I almost gave up several times. But folks on GAF pushed me to get better. To understand the mechanics better. And so it took a lot of time and work understanding how the game actually works. But I finally beat the game after like 90 + hours. It was glorious. I actually felt more achievement with that game, then I did with Bloodborne.

The thing that was crazy about Demon Gaze, is I never seemed to get a handle on it. Like I would go 10 hours thinking I was top shit, just to get my ass knocked back down again. But that actually made the game more enjoyable.

Demon Gaze is one of those DCs that once you learn how to break it, you just stick to that and never look back. As soon as I got the priest's innate Shield All skill(which is also in Wizardry PSN), your team becomes basically untouchable to mobs.

It still has some really nasty bosses, and the game requires you to use buffs/debuffs to survive,much like SMT.

And the final boss was a nightmare. Never again.

Mononoke

Banned
Demon Gaze is one of those DCs that once you learn how to break it, you just stick to that and never look back. As soon as I got the priest's innate Shield All skill(which is also in Wizardry PSN), your team becomes basically untouchable to mobs.

That's true. I will admit, Demon Gaze was probably harder for me than some, because I had never played the genre before. And I'm really stupid when it comes to learning in certain games. DG was a game I had to really push myself hard to get through. I imagine the game was 10x harder for me, because of my own incompetence. But man I loved every second of that game. It really got me hooked on the genre.

Also lol I remember getting to the end section of Demon Gaze, and realizing I had major flaw in my team set up. I had to fall back and re-work things. Was a nightmare, as it required a decent amount of grinding.

cj_iwakura

That's true. I will admit, Demon Gaze was probably harder for me than some, because I had never played the genre before. And I'm really stupid when it comes to learning in certain games. DG was a game I had to really push myself hard to get through. I imagine the game was 10x harder for me, because of my own incompetence. But man I loved every second of that game. It really got me hooked on the genre.

Also lol I remember getting to the end section of Demon Gaze, and realizing I had major flaw in my team set up. I had to fall back and re-work things. Was a nightmare, as it required a decent amount of grinding.

I thought it was pretty bland outside of the gameplay. So if you liked it that much, you should love XTh/OA.

The Vocaloid music was neat, but there was too little music period, and the plot/characters were just painful.

Parakeetman

I'm really excited for this game, not going to lie. Demon Gaze was a game that just clicked with me. I'm not expecting this to be 1:1 the same game. I get the differences. But I just remember getting into Demon Gaze and never having played that genre before. And I got my ass kicked hard. Really hard. I almost gave up several times. But folks on GAF pushed me to get better. To understand the mechanics better. And so it took a lot of time and work understanding how the game actually works. But I finally beat the game after like 90 + hours. It was glorious. I actually felt more achievement with that game, then I did with Bloodborne.

The thing that was crazy about Demon Gaze, is I never seemed to get a complete handle on it. Like I would go 10 hours thinking I was top shit, just to get my ass knocked back down again. But that actually made the game more enjoyable. So I'm hoping for more of that with this game. I just got done beating Persona Q and Mind Zero (didn't love the latter as much). So I'm ready for another dungeon crawler that is great.

Am glad you found the information useful. Hope others do also, since know it can be a bit daunting with the genre for those who are not familiar with things at first.

Since you managed to go through Demon Gaze am sure you will do just fine with this title and enjoy the differences in design. As mentioned before do think folks will be surprised by how much loot there is in the game also and should have a good time with that.

Whats nice in this title is there is a system in the medical facility that allows you to spend cash to convert it into exp. Helps when you want to make a new character and have a surplus of money.

Mononoke

Banned
I thought it was pretty bland outside of the gameplay. So if you liked it that much, you should love XTh/OA.

The Vocaloid music was neat, but there was too little music period, and the plot/characters were just painful.

Well that has me even more hyped. And yeah, I probably loved DG more than I normally would, because it was my first time in the genre. Outside of Persona Q and Mind Zero, I haven't played any other games in the genre. I don't want to get off topic, so I'm going to PM you if you don't mind. Have a question about the genre.

Whats nice in this title is there is a system in the medical facility that allows you to spend cash to convert it into exp. Helps when you want to make a new character and have a surplus of money.

Wow that sounds like an incredible system. Solves the problem of having to grind forever, if you screw up with your team set up. I'm going to take my time with this title, and really try to learn how to do it right. With DG I kind of just threw myself into it, and flailed around. I didn't take the time to truly understand the mechanics of combat, and that bit me in the ass. So I'm going to slow it down a bit, and actually do it right this time.

Also yeah, your OP is so amazing. I really appreciate it a lot. I didn't know how many people would be hyped for this title, so I really appreciate the effort you putt into organizing it. It's more detailed then a lot of other OP's.

Parakeetman

Wow that sounds like an incredible system. Solves the problem of having to grind forever, if you screw up with your team set up. I'm going to take my time with this title, and really try to learn how to do it right. With DG I kind of just threw myself into it, and flailed around. I didn't take the time to truly understand the mechanics of combat, and that bit me in the ass. So I'm going to slow it down a bit, and actually do it right this time.

Yeah its a useful system and with this title there is no way to respec your stats, so it does help if you are unhappy with a character and want to make a new one.

Also if you have a DS / 3DS there is the Etrian Odyssey community thread too. Which is another unique DRPG series. Esp with the mechanics difference between 3 and 4.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=929794

In Op Abyss, there is a bit more of an emphasis on enemy types for some sections of the game. But that sort of stuff can be overcome with the equipment modification system. This expects the player to upgrade their equipment a lot more than Demon Gaze also. Though upgrading is a bit different as Demon Gaze it was pulling from a general pool for the different items that you recycled. In this game there are actual different resources for the weapons / armor which is collected from data chips after battle, on the map or reclaimed from breaking down equipment in the lab.

Mononoke

Banned
Yeah its a useful system and with this title there is no way to respec your stats, so it does help if you are unhappy with a character and want to make a new one.

Also if you have a DS / 3DS there is the Etrian Odyssey community thread too.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=929794

Nice, I have never played any of the Etrian titles. But I think I'm going to jump in after I beat this game. Will get all the titles on 3DS etc. I just bookmarked that thread, I will jump into it once I start getting those titles. I'm seriously interested in this genre, so glad to know there are community's around it.

What I'm really excited for in this game, is the difference in setting/style. From the sounds of it, this game will stand apart from DG in terms of that.

Top Bottom