• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Anyone tested any neo geo CD games on the multiple arcade emulator yet? I'd love to run Last Blade 2 on it. :3

AndyD

aka andydumi
brotkasten said:
It's probably too late for that. A trophy unlocker was one of the first homebrew JB apps and it wouldn't surprise me if someone already signed that app.

With the new rewards system ramping up, this will cause major issues then if they don't ban.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I think I read in here that there was a PS2 Loader that worked with the original jailbreak.

It would be amazing if all it needed was to be 3.55 signed and it ran (J) and (PAL) games too, I'd finally start buying imports!

Back from vacation and this is the first thread I see, very exciting stuff! Quick question since I haven't read though all 20-something pages yet: How can/does/will the CFW affect PSN (purchasing games, playing online)?

Zoe

mattiewheels said:
I think I read in here that there was a PS2 Loader that worked with the original jailbreak.

PS2 Loader works with SwapMagic on BC consoles. No modification required for the PS3.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Brobzoid said:
Anyone tested any neo geo CD games on the multiple arcade emulator yet? I'd love to run Last Blade 2 on it. :3

Last Blade 2 and Metal Slug were the first games I tried today. Both run pretty good.

DeVeAn

Even though this will allow all kinds of awesome things for the ps3, it makes me think Sony will cut back on any new features and purely focus on patching this up even few months. Kind of like the psp. There was no guarantee they would have gave us more features regardless but still.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Zoe said:
PS2 Loader works with SwapMagic on BC consoles. No modification required for the PS3.
Then you've got to buy SwapMagic, right? I'd prefer a solution that works with this CFW stuff..

Zombie James said:
Back from vacation and this is the first thread I see, very exciting stuff! Quick question since I haven't read though all 20-something pages yet: How can/does/will the CFW affect PSN (purchasing games, playing online)?
Everyone is essentially saying the same thing - DON'T GO ON PSN.

I'm sure there is no issue right now but it wouldn't be too hard for Sony to flag and brick systems running homebrew or CFW. Now, how they will react is still not known.

TheOctagon said:
For what it's worth, I'm going to design a consistent UI for the various emulators, assuming they quickly evolve into something akin to Xport's emulators for Xbox. Nothing overly flashy, no sprites doing the conga while Yoshi humps the Nintendo logo, just an elegant list that happily takes over from the XMB.

Interested?

OCTAGON!!!!!
I was hoping you would post here.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
angelfly said:
Last Blade 2 runs fine

kamorra said:
Last Blade 2 and Metal Slug were the first games I tried today. Both run pretty good.

NGCD version specifically? I used to play the arcade version, but the ngcd version is the optimal one. I need dat blood and bestest music! Don't want my fighters lactating. :mad:

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Since the same two questions, "can I go on PSN?" (who knows, for now you'd better not) and "what about software PS2 emulation?" (almost no chance), keep popping up multiple times in every page, maybe adding a small FAQ to the OP and asking people to read it would be a good idea.

Zoe

Jocchan said:
Since the same two questions, "can I go on PSN?" (who knows, for now you'd better not) and "what about software PS2 emulation?" (almost no chance), keep popping up multiple times in every page, maybe adding a small FAQ to the OP and asking people to read it would be a good idea.

OP already says not to go onto PSN. Doubt it would stop people from asking about PS2 either.

angelfly

Brobzoid said:
NGCD version specifically? I used to play the arcade version, but the ngcd version is the optimal one. I need dat blood and bestest music! Don't want my fighters lactating. :mad:
Haven't tried the NGCD version. However if it's blood you want you can just turn on the "Cruel Fight" dip to enable blood.

Zoe

H_Prestige said:
Is it possible to install another region's FW onto a ps3? And if so, would that allow you to play that region's ps2/ps1 games?

Firmware is universal. Regions are hardware-based.

I'm a bit surprised to see people here running out and dropping $300 for an extra PS3 already. Isn't that jumping the gun a bit? We don't even know how Sony will counter this (or if they even can). And besides, where's the rush? Right now, all that's available are a few emulators that you can already run on practically everything else (if PS2 emu was announced, then I'd be going nuts).

jiggles

Banned
Welp, looks like the homebrew apps broke my portable ID / recently played list. Should be pretty easy for Sony to identify jailbreakers.

Bracing for banhammerz :(

ismaboof

The PS3 transfer utility is such a piece. Won't read both of my ethernet cables

Edit: Apparently disabling the wireless internet connection makes it work. Thanks for not telling me that Sony.

Mr_Brit

Banned
The Banhammer May Be Coming

On boot the system contacts the server and uploads the play list etc. this list alone is enough to get anyone that goes online banned as it shows the bootmanger etc. has been running. Here is the list and what they do, I port sniffed this a while ago before I went online with a retail unit >.> because I am not stupid hehe.
fus01.ps3.update.playstation.net > Update Server (sys updates)
mercury.dl.playstation.net > What's new ads
nsx.np.dl.playstation.net > playstation store preview
nsx-e.np.dl.playstation.net > ads
(main file exchange connections)
us.np.stun.playstation.net > on boot initiates connection
ena.net.playstation.net > SSLv3 connection after above connection
dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net > secondary update attempt (could force updates)
auth.np.ac.playstation.net > SSLv3 authentication server
(destination servers)
service.playstation.net (has multiple IPs if only the ip address is blocked)
(Error Reporting)
creepo.ww.hl.playstation.net (uploads crash reports etc.)

Almost all connections cannot just be port blocked, the port will continue to increment until it connects, you have to block the entire domains. Also a big point is that ALL computers on your network need to have these blocked not just the PS3's MAC because if you are running a proxy for example to get patches, the computer you proxy to will just allow the connections right out to the open unless all local IPs are blocked from these sites as well.

Surprising absolutely noone it looks like Sony are detecting homebrew applications meaning that everyone who went on PSN with a jailbroken console can expect to be banned eventually. This is definitely not the only way that Sony can detect jailbroken systems so we'll never truly ever know if it's going to be safe to go online. That ban may come tommorow or it may come in 6 months time but it will almost certainly eventually come.

Dabanton

jigglywiggly said:
Welp, looks like the homebrew apps broke my portable ID / recently played list. Should be pretty easy for Sony to identify jailbreakers.

Bracing for banhammerz :(

Gulp.

So the cat and mouse game is finally beginning.

Right, but as I said in this post:

badcrumble said:
Someone should make a simple utility to clear the pushlist or figure out how to stop it from being written to (with a simple on/off function). I think that's the only thing, aside from running CFW, that could get Sony to detect you at this point in time.

edit: according to a poster on SomethingAwful, the pushlist files are dev_hdd0\home\00000001\etc\boot_history.dat, dev_hdd0\vsh\pushlist\game.dat and dev_hdd0\vsh\pushlist\patch.dat

The lists that get sent to Sony can be edited and/or cleared.

But yeah, everyone who's been doing this already (without constantly clearing their pushlist) and has been connected to the Internet is basically gonna get banned, probably.

Rhindle

Mr_Brit said:

Surprising absolutely noone it looks like Sony are detecting homebrew applications meaning that everyone who went on PSN with a jailbroken console can expect to be banned eventually. That ban may come tommorow or it may come in 6 months time but it will almost certainly eventually come.
Also note that it's not just a matter of not going on PSN, since the consoles report to a whole bunch of Sony servers (as noted in your post). If you really want to play it safe, you have to disable online connectivity (or as mentioned previously, block the playstation.net domain and hope that's the only one Sony uses).

sajj316

badcrumble said:

But yeah, everyone who's been doing this already (without constantly clearing their pushlist) and has been connected to the Internet is basically gonna get banned, probably.

Except for anyone that blocks playstation.net? It doesn't help if you have two ps3 consoles and expect one to be online while the other offline.

Dexa

Banned
badcrumble said:

its not only the pushlist - there are like 3 other history files too :eek:

xemumanic

I bought a 60GB PS3 when rumors started going around that they might remove BC. In hindsight, I'm so happy I did. It's the perfect platform for a CFW. The second I heard that Linux might get removed (wasn't even confirmed then) I shut off the switch to the back of my 60GB PS3, and unplugged the Ethernet, HDMI, and power. So I'm on whatever firmware was current before they removed Linux support, maybe even the one before that. Since then, I was thinking about getting a Slim PS3, but never did. Hell, I'm still on a 20GB 360 (RROD 4 times), so if anything, I'd buy a X360 S & Kinect first anyway.

I'm not gonna install anything on it until its pretty mature, and there's no disadvantages. I've waited this long, I can wait longer for a CFW that does it all.

Zoe

Askia47 said:
Cant you just switch it to ethernet only and have it not go online period?

Some people want to be able to reroute the network calls to unofficial locations.

But yeah, that would be safe if you don't want online at all.

xtop

Mr_Brit said:

Surprising absolutely noone it looks like Sony are detecting homebrew applications meaning that everyone who went on PSN with a jailbroken console can expect to be banned eventually. This is definitely not the only way that Sony can detect jailbroken systems so we'll never truly ever know if it's going to be safe to go online. That ban may come tommorow or it may come in 6 months time but it will almost certainly eventually come.

that was posted back in october. so i don't know if bans are necessarily imminent, but certainly something to keep in mind

Zoe

firehawk12 said:
I guess Sony has the ability to do console bans as well? I don't think I've ever heard of a case of that before.

Any manufacturer that tracks your console ID (which Sony does) has the ability to do a console ban. There was just no reason to do so before this.

The idea here gentlemen is to not go on to PSN with anything you wouldn't want banned.

Wait until the dev community gets the security in place figured out.

Nothing has changed. Sony gets info from your console when it goes online. It's pretty foolish to think they aren't recording that data to use in the future in some capacity.

Rhindle said:
(or as mentioned previously, block the playstation.net domain and hope that's the only one Sony uses).

I should just add a rule to Tomato on my WRT54GL to block my PS3 from the internet altogether and limit it to the LAN.

sajj316

gregor7777 said:
The idea here gentlemen is to not go on to PSN with anything you wouldn't want banned.

Wait until the dev community gets the security in place figured out.

Nothing has changed. Sony gets info from your console when it goes online. It's pretty foolish to think they aren't recording that data to use in the future in some capacity.

From what I'm reading its at boot time, not when you log in to PSN. Unplug the ethernet cable or disable wireless? Safest bet.

Cruzader

Banned
Back from work. I was just curious, will emulators get cool filters that make sprites look "round"? This is good for HDTVs or playing small rez games onto a Monitor/tv.

I remember my brother playing Zleda GB on his DC once and man, the image on the TV looked just like the GC pocket screen just in TV size!!!(320x240 or something) Like it wasnt pixelated but looked smooth and I was impressed!

Any way this will happen to PS3 emulators? Playing GBA game with similar filter could make me jizz all over.

Big One

Banned
The real question is: Would they actually do something about it?

I mean that practically destroys a good portion of their userbase. The PS3 still doesn't have the active online communities of the 360 to warrant such a strict thing and could potentially weed out consumers that Sony needs to keep the system alive. People are now actually purchasing PS3's all over the web now that the system has been cracked, whether it's for homebrew features or even piracy.

Just a thought, at least. With the 360, you have a huge, active userbase and also online features you have to pay for, so in the long run banning a console for homebrew doesn't hurt Microsoft that much.

Ploid 3.0

I figured it would be the PS3 that would do the snitching. Much easier that way than to have sony go into your ps3 from their side over the internets.

Big One said:
The real question is: Would they actually do something about it?

I mean that practically destroys a good portion of their userbase. The PS3 still doesn't have the active online communities of the 360 to warrant such a strict thing and could potentially weed out consumers that Sony needs to keep the system alive. People are now actually purchasing PS3's all over the web now that the system has been cracked, whether it's for homebrew features or even piracy.

Just a thought, at least. With the 360, you have a huge, active userbase and also online features you have to pay for, so in the long run banning a console for homebrew doesn't hurt Microsoft that much.

That's a good point. Did Sony ever ban psp's?

Cruzader said:
Back from work. I was just curious, will emulators get cool filters that make sprites look "round"? This is good for HDTVs or playing small rez games onto a Monitor/tv.

I remember my brother playing Zleda GB on his DC once and man, the image on the TV looked just like the GC pocket screen just in TV size!!!(320x240 or something) Like it wasnt pixelated but looked smooth and I was impressed!

Any way this will happen to PS3 emulators? Playing GBA game with similar filter could make me jizz all over.
YOU ARE A MONSTER FOR DOING THIS TO MY GLORIOUS PREVIOUS-GEN SPRITES. But yes, this will be possible.

Top Bottom