• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you thought Diablo 3's economy was bad before [Duping exploit, trillions of gold]

...it literally just shit the bed. Roll back?

It started with the new patch today. Blizzard dropped the gold floor from .25cents a mil to .25 cents per 10 mil.

Enterprising players then bought gems for real money and converted them to gold. People were making billions on this.

But then! A gold dupe has just been discovered with some streamers duping TRILLIONS in gold by playing around with the 2 auction houses.

It is quite the mess at the moment.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I thought always on DRM was supposed to stop things like that.
G10JxL8.gif

Is there a link that explains things in more depth than the OP does?

Once all of the info comes out, I'm sure there will be write ups about it. I just saw a Chinese duper with 370+ trillion gold lol.

I don't know the ins and outs of the exploits as I choose not to use them or hang around the circles that passes that info on.

Once you beat the single player game initially, I always thought that Diablo 3 was more interesting as an economic simulator than as an action-RPG.

Zaventem

It's funny i'm reading the patch notes on the test server and a ton of the percentages are the damage numbers they first started with in the beta. Tons of people gave them warning shit like this was gonna happen now they acknowledge it, shit fucks up even more.

It's funny i'm reading the patch notes on the test server and a ton of the percentages are the damage numbers they first started with in the beta. Tons of people gave them warning shit like this was gonna happen now they acknowledge it, shit fucks up even more.

Been par for the course. Test server bugs are reported, but manage to make it into the final patch anyway.

marrec

Banned
As much as I love Diablo III, this was bound to happen. Online economies are only as stable as the developers allow them to be.

Comet

Amazing the difference in quality between SC2 patches (and HOTS) and Diablo 3. If a game's core design is broken, patches can't fix anything.

Dahbomb

New patch is fun if you don't play RMAH simulator.

Gold value was going to drop and prices will be crazy until they stabilize. Right now gem prices are through the roof, they will settle down after a bit.

The gold dupe is news to me, pretty sure Blizzard will have it fixed and bans will be given out.

RMAH continues to ruin the game for everyone.
Yep.

This game didn't need a "protected" economy in the first place.

Still looking forward to playing this on the PS4 without the bloody RMAH. Until then I don't really have any desire to play.

inky

How do you roll back paypal accounts?

They'll probably have to do refunds on hundreds of thousands of transactions. Add to that the rollback issue (what will it be, only gold/items rollback, or complete server rollback?... who knows) and massive bans, because a lot of people exploited this.

zashga

It's amazing that they keep finding new ways to screw the game with the AH. Can't wait to see the response they get when the inevitable expansion pack is unveiled.

Permanently A

They'll probably have to do refunds on hundreds of thousands of transactions. Add to that the rollback issue (what will it be, only gold/items rollback, or complete server rollback... who knows?) and massive bans, because a lot of people exploited this.

Too bad they can't punish those who have withdrawn the cash from their paypal accounts.

Top Bottom