• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Blues1990

Thanks blues and Anne. Think I need to sit in the practise range and play vs AI for a few hours with some podcasts to internalise the controls on PC. Right now it's like, shit reload...wait where did I map that again? :p

If you feel mouse/keyboard is a bit overbearing, don't be afraid to plug in a PS4 Controller (with DS4Windows) and use it on occasion when getting used to your new set up. A friend of mine did that when she was transitioning from the PS4 version to PC, and she can use either.

TrueBlue

A Junkenstein sequel set in a jazzed up Junkertown would be perfect. A nice wide area to differentiate it from Revenge, and the first point could act as the door that you need to defend.

Anne

I went ahead and put together some gfycats of the types of things I do when I sit around in the training mode for Overwatch. The different heroes I used here all require some different kinds of motions, and this is all very easy to do in training mode because the bots have massive hitboxes. This all types of stuff you should be able to do on the training bots without thinking too hard about at some point. I'll just cycle through heroes and do this for a bit every now and then, then force myself to go for the motions in random QP or DM games.

Soldier tracking (this is kinda shitty but you get the idea)

McCree flicking

Tracer target finding

Genji doing wider sweeping motions

Doing Widow stuff

Just gonna quote you so you can see this and get an idea what I do. You prolly can't just whip things like that yet, but just practice those types of motions in training room sometimes. What I posted is something I would expect any reasonable Diamond~ or so DPS player to be able to do without thinking about it. It's all pretty simple cause the training bot hitboxes are like 5x the size of somebody's head. Just good to practice like that.

I can't even deal with some Mercy players going battle Mercy. She is just not... for this. Specially with her ult active and when the team needs healing. Do they still think she's day 1 PTR Mercy or? I can't even.

Chance

I swear some Mercy players think they can do this when they ult:

https://youtu.be/8UDfWScQLqs

I generally only get my pistol out in the most desperate of situations, even when ulting.

I tend to only get my pistol out in advantageous situations where I know I have (or can easily get) the positioning to secure a kill. Or when Sombra/Genji/Reaper/Tracer jump me. Or when the enemy Zenyatta establishes that he thinks he's tough and wants to throw hands. 'Cause if you wanna' throw hands, I'll throw hands.

Honestly. Mercy can fly, Mercy can bring back the dead but her super secret hidden superpower is that people forget she's a player with a gun, and nobody's afraid of her.

I'm afraid that assumption may cost you your life!

MCD

About Mercy: I tried to kill her numerous times when she ULTs but failed almost every time. She can be srsly hard to hit now while flying.

It's also a good thing because as a support character you want invincibility even for a brief sec.

Chance

About Mercy: I tried to kill her numerous times when she ULTs but failed almost every time. She can be srsly hard to hit now while flying.

It's also a good thing because as a support character you want invincibility even for a brief sec.

I have a clip where an ulting Mercy backs herself into a corner above me and I finish her with a melee. Lulz!

Soldier or McCree ults or even just concentrated fire = dead, though.

i love how diamond players think zen ult counters junkrat tire

tenor.gif

it keeps me alive. rip to everyone around me.

MCD

I have a clip where an ulting Mercy backs herself into a corner above me and I finish her with a melee. Lulz!

Soldier or McCree ults or even just concentrated fire = dead, though.

I guess but right now I am just playing D.VA and Zen sometimes.

When I tried as D.VA I felt terrible because I'm supposed to forget her and protect our healer or focus on the ground enemies but I just can't help but fly and shoot her face up hahahaha.

when you (mercy) sacrifice your body to save your rein from being pinned

nah. someone booped a charging rein and it came towards me instead of the other rein

you know i don't play mercy often i didn't know you can cancel GA. i was wondering how people stay floating behind a wall sometimes.

I panic ulted once to save myself from a tire, and Rat just had his tire circling around me, waiting. BOOM. Dead Zen.

Haven't tried it since.
It's good baiting ult. You Gotta pretend you don't hear the tire coming and then shoot like you don't have ult.

Like one time junk could have wiped my team who was in the point but he went for me instead lol. So I'm like ult went off let me go heal my team now

It's good baiting ult. You Gotta pretend you don't hear the tire coming and then shoot like you don't have ult.

Like one time junk could have wiped my team who was in the point but he went for me instead lol. So I'm like ult went off let me go heal my team now

I always save my ult for Genji/Soldier/Zarya ults (and maybe Mercy's ult, now that there are bloodthirsty monsters like Chance out there).

Maybe if my team survives a tire but is severely wounded? I'd use it then, I hope.

komaruR

I went ahead and put together some gfycats of the types of things I do when I sit around in the training mode for Overwatch. The different heroes I used here all require some different kinds of motions, and this is all very easy to do in training mode because the bots have massive hitboxes. This all types of stuff you should be able to do on the training bots without thinking too hard about at some point. I'll just cycle through heroes and do this for a bit every now and then, then force myself to go for the motions in random QP or DM games.

Soldier tracking (this is kinda shitty but you get the idea)

McCree flicking

Tracer target finding

Genji doing wider sweeping motions

Doing Widow stuff

Just gonna quote you so you can see this and get an idea what I do. You prolly can't just whip things like that yet, but just practice those types of motions in training room sometimes. What I posted is something I would expect any reasonable Diamond~ or so DPS player to be able to do without thinking about it. It's all pretty simple cause the training bot hitboxes are like 5x the size of somebody's head. Just good to practice like that.
Hanzo or bust! :p

snack

took a 3 month hiatus from the game, and it feels good playing again.

is dva better now than before? seems like so much has changed. mercy rezzing every 30 seconds etc.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I made another one of these silly widow montage videos after like a 4 hour play session with some friends last night. I had a bit much to drink before hand so I was just doing dumb plays the whole time lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mle4BPGZB2E

I also need to find out why when I compile videos it drops some frames at random points and the video gets all stuttery. I suspect that windows movie maker doesn't play nice with 60 fps recordings because uploading / playing the clips on their own is nice and smooth. I guess it's time to start using adobe primer or something.

Also I'm sad because I had to use a random street fighter song since my original song choice got the video blocked world wide :( it was hilarious and made the whole thing look so cheesy.

Nepenthe

Backfilled into a Hollywood round on attack that was past the second checkpoint and steadily progressing. Felt good.

Then everyone started to spread out for no reason and trickle in after dying. Felt bad.

I'm the only one playing objective and calling people to group up with me on the car to no avail, and subsequently Reinhardt keeps hammering my face in while Doomfist kept punching my spleen out, and Hanzo's dragons happily ate the remains. Felt angering.

We somehow won anyway by everyone else realizing "Oh, there's an objective" when overtime kicked in. Felt exhausted.

Didn't even get a card for managing to rack up two minutes of objective time after backfilling that far into a match (but Mercy did, because of course Mercy always gets a damn card). Felt insulted.

But the point is: Holy shit guys, just touch the car. Any part of the car. The mirror, a windshield wiper, the fucking emblem. Anything. You have plenty of options here.

At the very least, I think I got like one thank you for being on the car. That was nice. Thanks random player for appreciating me, whoever you are.

Chance

I made another one of these silly widow montage videos after like a 4 hour play session with some friends last night. I had a bit much to drink before hand so I was just doing dumb plays the whole time lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mle4BPGZB2E

I also need to find out why when I compile videos it drops some frames at random points and the video gets all stuttery. I suspect that windows movie maker doesn't play nice with 60 fps recordings because uploading / playing the clips on their own is nice and smooth. I guess it's time to start using adobe primer or something.

Also I'm sad because I had to use a random street fighter song since my original song choice got the video blocked world wide :( it was hilarious and made the whole thing look so cheesy.

That was awesome.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I tend to only get my pistol out in advantageous situations where I know I have (or can easily get) the positioning to secure a kill. Or when Sombra/Genji/Reaper/Tracer jump me. Or when the enemy Zenyatta establishes that he thinks he's tough and wants to throw hands. 'Cause if you wanna' throw hands, I'll throw hands.

Honestly. Mercy can fly, Mercy can bring back the dead but her super secret hidden superpower is that people forget she's a player with a gun, and nobody's afraid of her.

I'm afraid that assumption may cost you your life!
I only pull out her gun if it makes more sense to use the gun over the staff (which, in a good group, is rare). That is, if I'm getting jumped and there are no escape options, or if I can do more damage with the gun than with the damage boost. For example, if I could help finish someone low or something. Only if everyone nearby is within safe levels of health and will survive the time I spend with the gun out, of course.

The superpower thing is something I've noticed too. Sometimes people will expose their backs to an enemy Mercy, or walk right up to her because they simply don't consider her a possible threat. I get most of my pistol kills this way.

I find looking for good opportunities to use her gun makes her a lot more fun to play than mentally locking yourself to staff duties, anyway.

Rogan

Banned
Solo queue dropped me from 2400 to 1990. I'm done this season I think.

90% of the game consists of bad picks and plays. The opposite team always plays like the magical samba boys.

You're honestly doing yourself a disservice playing on any console compared to pc
But I put sooooo much work into my console version 😢.

This is just me and it's probably a terrible idea but I wish that skins, emotes, and all that stuff was all connected to a Master Blizzard account and you could access it from either a console or a PC.

This is just me and it's probably a terrible idea but I wish that skins, emotes, and all that stuff was all connected to a Master Blizzard account and you could access it from either a console or a PC.

Pizza converted me to PC. He showed me some RE-sports footage and I was on the edge of my seat watching it. He was like that is only viable on PC and I made the switch. PC has less toxic Junkrat/torb mains who never join voice chat.

antitrop

The technology is there, you can link your XBL/PSN with your Battle.net for the purposes of things like Oni Genji and Officer D.Va. They just don't do it to milk the few that will buy Loot Boxes on multiple accounts.

I wonder if my mic even works sometime. I tend to be quiet when I speak but I can't tell. Also while I have ptt on i. Keep forgetting to wait until it beeps to talk.

Mr Git

We all have our own methods.

Had one guy just sing through most of the match. Muted.

Yup I mean, is there any point joining teamchat when I'm actively muting 3 people every game. I only join when I'm in a group as I know that at least that group size of X isn't going to be a decibellend.

Chance

Yup I mean, is there any point joining teamchat when I'm actively muting 3 people every game. I only join when I'm in a group as I know that at least that group size of X isn't going to be a decibellend.

I have it set to autojoin team chat when I'm not in a stack, but yes - I spend way too much time muting people. The last games I had with good, productive team chat is ages ago - or at least it sure feels that way.

If you're taking up comms bandwidth by ranting about your SO or telling racist jokes, I don't need it distracting me during a match.

Small talk isn't bad, but when you get the two stack of boyfriend and girlfriend talking about their evening plans while not calling out picks and flanks you just tend to mute them.

The chat wheel is more than enough context for me most of the time. But I call picks and flanks and ult charges and whenever I hear reaper in the back left corner of my headphones, etc.

Anything more than that and you're at risk of being annoying.

Solo queue is pure trash or amazing.

I live for the thrill of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, and vice versa. Solo queue adventures never cease to amaze and / or disappoint.

Really getting an itch for a new mode in this game. One that is competitively viable, aka not Deathmatch or Elimination or CTF.

Also hoping Overwatch does a big 2.0 type thing to fix big problems everyone has been complaining about since launch. Hell, tie it in with some story thing to make it fit in the context of the game. A second Omnic Crisis, TALON not jobbing for once, SOMETHING.

Top Bottom