• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney to publish Epic Mickey books

Shiggy

Old?

Disney plans to publish several books coinciding with the launch of Warren Spector's Wii title, which arrives in September.

Epic Mickey - It's Your Call #1 / 144 pages
Become Mickey Mouse as he travels through the Cartoon Wasteland full of rejected and forgotten creations. Battle fierce robots called “Beetleworx”, anamotronic blotlings, and Mickey’s older half brother, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit! Armed with a magical paintbrush, Mickey must stop the Phantom Blot who will stop at nothing to rule the Cartoon Wasteland, earn back his half-brother’s trust, and save the Cartoon Wasteland from total devastation! Are you up for the job?

Epic Mickey Junior Novel (Junior Novelization) / 192 pages
When Mickey Mouse accidentally spills paint and paint thinner on a rendering of a model word called the Cartoon Wasteland, mayhem ensues! Unbeknownst to Mickey, the spill creates an evil monster called the Phantom Blot who will stop at nothing to take control of the Wasteland, and everything in it, including Mickey’s older half brother, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit! Unable to stop the Phantom Blot, Oswald goes into hiding and the Cartoon Wasteland is transformed into a hideous and twisted world.

Many years passed and Mickey went on with his life, until one day he gets sucked through a mirror -- and winds up in the Cartoon Wasteland! Armed with just a magical paintbrush that he took with him, Mickey must stop a Mad Doctor who works closely with the Phantom Blot, earn back his half-brother’s trust, and save the Cartoon Wasteland.

One can only hope that this will finally be a Wii game that sees some decent advertisements and sales.

Hopefully we see a blow out of information at E3. I really want to see if the game has been graphically improved, and to see more gameplay.

Edit: I think the books show that they are really going to push this game, which can only be a good thing.

[Nintex]

During one of the horrible IGN podcasts they mentioned that Epic Mickey had changed quite a bit since the reveal.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Shiggy said:
One can only hope that this will finally be a Wii game that sees some decent advertisements and sales.
More than Disney using the Epic Mickey IP to advertise the game, something makes me think they'd rather use the game as advertisement for their Epic Mickey property.

MYE

[Nintex] said:
During one of the horrible IGN podcasts they mentioned that Epic Mickey had changed quite a bit since the reveal.

Did they say anything else?
Dont make me listen to that crap man :(

Gomu Gomu

Oh man, Spector must be shitting his pants right now. Not only he's making a game based on his favorite character, but now Disney is doing books based on his vision.
SmokyDave said:
Ah what? Books?

Here's hoping they port this to E-Book so I can read it at a decent resolution.
subtle :lol .

WillyFive

So the game is going to have a lot of focus on story?

Kinda odd, since Epic Mickey was supposed to have a story that is easily changed by the player via their actions.

Willy105 said:

Kinda odd, since Epic Mickey was supposed to have a story that is easily changed by the player via their actions.

Sort of. The game has a narrative that is planned out, but the way you complete the narrative and do certain actions is up to you. The narrative and structure reacts to that.

It's like any BioWare RPG.

This is probably my second most anticipated title for E3 after Zelda. Glad to see some sort of news on it.

And I really hope all of the haters from that old Epic Mickey thread have to eat crow when we finally see this game in motion. I was just a GAF lurker back then, but that thread seriously pissed me off. :lol

MAtgS

Still can't believe that's the actual name of the game. Is anyone really going to take it seriously with a name like that?

Lijik

Willy105 said:

How is it odd when one of the books is a choose your own adventure novel.

MAtgS said:
Still can't believe that's the actual name of the game. Is anyone really going to take it seriously with a name like that?
You say this like theres some precedent of games having wonderfully conceived names in general.

MAtgS said:
It's not a great name by any means, but I've grown strangely fond of it. It would feel weird calling it anything else at this point.

I'll take it over something like "The Adventures of Mickey and Oswald" or "Mickey Mouse and the Cartoon Wasteland" or something similarly clunky.

MAtgS said:
Yeah, no kidding. My ability to take Mickey Mouse seriously has always been entirely dependent on the name, what are they thinking

The word "Retooled" really scares me. They got a huge amount of hype and excitement, and now they are gonna try to market it farther and farther towards kids. Disney is gonna blow it.

Please don't : (

Gunstarheroes said:
The word "Retooled" really scares me. They got a huge amount of hype and excitement, and now they are gonna try to market it farther and farther towards kids. Disney is gonna blow it.

Please don't : (
Seeing as though Disney/Junction Point have said repeatedly that they are trying to shed the harmless, childish image of Mickey Mouse, I'd say that's an unlikely scenario.

Disney already has plenty of IPs to market to kids.

Azure J

All this stuff about Epic Mickey really makes me anxious to see more from the actual game now. Seriously, Disney seems to have taken the Nintendo path and gone into total hiding with this stuff.

AzureJericho said:
All this stuff about Epic Mickey really makes me anxious to see more from the actual game now. Seriously, Disney seems to have taken the Nintendo path and gone into total hiding with this stuff.

E3 is in a month, the game will be there.

FoneBone

Shiggy said:
I thought it was pretty clear from the outset that Disney sees this as a Pretty Damn Big Deal; that they're actually putting out tie-in books confirms it.

Looking forward to the re-unveiling. After the very rough showing in October, I'd pretty much expected that they'd clamp back down on it until around E3, and I'm not at all surprised to have been right about that.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
MAtgS said:
I mean, it's right up there with Super Mario. It'll stick after a while.

FoneBone

AzureJericho said:
Yeah I really wonder why they've been so quiet:

333erue.jpg

I think Disney and Junction Point realized that unveiling the game as early as they did was a mistake.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I wonder if Epic Mickey will be unveiled at Nintendo's Press Conference? Maybe a Warren Spector play session on stage?

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
MAtgS said:
It leaked with that name, which I imagine was initially just a working title; presumably, Disney probably figured it was easier to ride off that hype.

Gomu Gomu said:
Oh man, Spector must be shitting his pants right now. Not only he's making a game based on his favorite character, but now Disney is doing books based on his vision.
Spector is determining the creative direction of a Disney multimedia push that happens to include a game.

Top Bottom