• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet delayed over Qur'an "expressions" (shipping Oct. 27th US; Nov 3rd EU)

boco77

Banned
The game now has a ship date of 27th October for the US and week beginning November 3rd for European countries.

SCEE has just confirmed to VG247 that shipped LittleBigPlanet units are to be recalled on a global level thanks to a licensed track in the game containing two “expressions” from the Qur’an.

SCEE has just made a statement on the issue, saying the game will be delayed as a result of the issue, but hasn’t confirmed a new release date as yet:

During the review process prior to the release of LittleBigPlanet, it has been brought to our attention that one of the background music tracks licensed from a record label for use in the game contains two expressions that can be found in the Qur’an. We have taken immediate action to rectify this and we sincerely apologise for any offence that this may have caused.

It was thought this afternoon that shipped units of the game were to be pulled back in Europe, but the move will be made “worldwide,” Sony’s just told us.

When asked how many units are to be recalled, a SCEE rep said, “We haven’t been given any figures.”.

http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/10/17/sony-littlebigplanet-to-be-recalled-on-global-level/

Media Molecule, the developers of LBP respond to the delay:

As some of you may have noticed, LBP has been slightly delayed in some territories. At MM we were as shocked and dismayed by this as anyone - shellshocked and gutted. We can’t wait for you all to get playing and creating!

We learnt yesterday that there is a lyric in one of the licensed tracks which some people may find offensive, and which slipped through the usual screening processes. Obviously MM and Sony together took this very seriously. LBP should be enjoyable by all. So within 12 hours of hearing about this issue involving a lyric (in Somalian, I believe!), we prepared an automatic day 0 patch and had a new disk image ready; however a decision was made within Sony that the right thing to do for quality and support of people with no on-line was to replace existing disks.

Apologies to everyone excited to play the game and I can assure you that when it arrives, it will be worth the wait! We want everyone to be able to enjoy the game, and this tweak should help - we’re just gutted it couldn’t be sooner. MM continues to work hard to support the game too. We know that LBP will be something that you can enjoy for a long time to come, when all of this is forgotten and all that remains are thousands of incredible levels and creations to play, create and share.

http://www.mediamolecule.com/

Update to other territories:

Sony confirms title will arrive some time in the week commencing November 3rd in Europe
PS3 platform holder Sony has announced that LittleBigPlanet will be released in Europe, the Middle East, Australia and New Zealand in the week commencing November 3rd – meaning a likely UK arrival of November 3rd, VG247 reports.

Sony’s statement reads: “We appreciate all the enthusiasm surrounding this much anticipated title and we would like to thank PlayStation fans for their support and understanding.”

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/32079/LittleBigPlanet-re-dated

Mahadev

I'm too pissed off to express my real feelings towards Sony and some oversensitive Muslims. Too fucking pissed off.

btkadams

i cannot believe this happened so close to the date, i mean people already are playing it. just not me :(

guess i will get to play bioshock instead.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
zelda oot part 2

Mahadev said:
I'm too pissed off to express my real feelings towards Sony and some oversensitive Muslims. Too fucking pissed off.

A potentially 2-6 week delay is not the end of the world.

no SCEE. don't spread your shit over to NA. I want my game on the 21st or earlier. now i have to play Fable 2 for the time being.

syllogism

Zophar said:
That article doesn't say anything about worldwide.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/littlebigplanet-release-delayed-i********
Earlier, GamesIndustry.biz reported the game was delayed in Europe, but it is now understood this issue affects the worldwide release of the title. Sony is expected to recall all copies of the game already shipped to retail.

The game was due for release next week, October 24, but now some retailers are estimating the game may be delayed by three weeks until November 14.

h3ro

DMPrince said:
no SCEE. don't spread your shit over to NA. I want my game on the 21st or earlier. now i have to play Fable 2 for the time being.

Too late. Looks like I'll be picking up Fable II after all....

Dirtbag

grindamasta said:
Delayed until november 14th... :(

damn!
Where'd you read that?

Though it does give me some time on my PS3 pickup... still sucks for everyone.
Now this goes up against Left4Dead and Resistance 2 right?

Mindlog

hrm, Sony is finally learning how to market its games. This will definitely get some good exposure for LBP.

Anyone who managed to get a copy now :eek: will have a collector's item.

LittleBigPlanet - SCEE’s official statement…

SCEE has supplied us with the official statement on the situation regarding LittleBigPlanet…

During the review process prior to the release of LittleBigPlanet, it has been brought to our attention that one of the background music tracks licensed from a record label for use in the game contains two expressions that can be found in the Qur’an. We have taken immediate action to rectify this and we sincerely apologise for any offence that this may have caused.

We will confirm the new launch date shortly.

We’ll keep you updated with further information as soon as we get it.

UPDATE

We’ve just been informed by SCEE that the delay to release is effective worldwide.
http://threespeech.com/blog/2008/10/littlebigplanet-scees-official-statement/

h3ro said:
Too late. Looks like I'll be picking up Fable II after all....

i'm going to ask bestbuy for my copy of LBP when I go pick Fable 2 up. Shit. i hope the news doesn't spread over to them just yet! :lol

Mahadev

cjelly said:
Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I hope the rest of this thread isn't going to be like this...

Stop quoting out of context. I said some oversensitive Muslims. If you want to defend this bullshit go ahead and do it but don't try to derail because you don't have the guts.

Choke on the Magic said:
what "expressions" are they talking about?

To: Sony Computer Entertainment & Media Molecule

While playing your latest game, "LittleBigPlanet" in the first level of the third world in the game (titled "Swinging Safari":smileywink:, I have noticed something strange in the lyrics of the music track of the level. When I listened carefully, I was surprised to hear some very familiar Arabic words from the Quran. You can listen to part of the track here:

mt14.quickshareit.com/share/p...lip22503c0.wav

The words are:

1- In the 18th second: "كل نفس ذائقة الموت" ("kollo nafsin tha'iqatol mawt", literally: 'Every soul shall have the taste of death').

2- Almost immediately after, in the 27th second: "كل من عليها فان" ("kollo man alaiha fan", literally: 'All that is on earth will perish').

I asked many of my friends online and offline and they heard the exact same thing that I heard easily when I played that part of the track. Certain Arabic hardcore gaming forums are already discussing this, so we decided to take action by emailing you before this spreads to mainstream attention.

We Muslims consider the mixing of music and words from our Holy Quran deeply offending. We hope you would remove that track from the game immediately via an online patch, and make sure that all future shipments of the game disk do not contain it.

We would also like to mention that this isn't the first time something like this happened in videogames. Nintendo's 1998 hit "Zelda: Ocarina of Time" contained a musical track with islamic phrases, but it was removed in later shipments of the game after Nintendo was contacted by Muslim organizations. Last year, Capcom's "Zack & Wiki" and Activision's "Call of Duty 4" also contained objectionable material offensive to Muslims that was spotted before the release of the final games, and both companies thankfully removed the content.

We hope you act immediately to avoid any confusion and unnecessary controversy, and we thank you for making such an amazing game.

Regards,
yasser
psn id : solid08

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:...+"tapha+Niang"+quran&hl=da&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=dk

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
WTF?!

On the plus side, this gives me more time to finish my games before the rush. But...WTF??

dionysus

Yaldog
Count Dookkake said:
Probably something dreadfully offensive and not at all silly.

I doubt it. It's LBP, the game is the opposite of offensive. This is probably political correctness gone overboard.

Edit. Yep, absurdity.

Mareg

Dirtbag 504 said:
damn!
Where'd you read that?

Though it does give me some time on my PS3 pickup... still sucks for everyone.
Now this goes up against Left4Dead and Resistance 2 right?

Its on gameindustry. speculations I think.

Delayed worldwide? Fucking bullshit.

Sage00 said:
The words are:

1- In the 18th second: "كل نفس ذائقة الموت" ("kollo nafsin tha'iqatol mawt", literally: 'Every soul shall have the taste of death').

2- Almost immediately after, in the 27th second: "كل من عليها فان" ("kollo man alaiha fan", literally: 'All that is on earth will perish').

How did that happen?

dionysus said:
I doubt it. It's LBP, the game is the opposite of offensive. This is probably political correctness gone overboard.

:D I am not at all being serious. They are crying because of words in a game. Of course it it silly.

harSon

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:

Wow :lol

Schrade

What. The. Fuck????? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is so wrong about some phrases from some book? Is it forbidden to utter the phrases or something?

Fucking lame. The discs are already pressed. They have already been packaged and shipped. Some of them have already been sold. Just patch the goddamn game.

Looks like I'm going to be hunting for the game this weekend. Fuck.

AVclub

Wouldn't the followers of the Muslim faith want the words of their holy document to reach as many people as possible? Keeping them in LBP would certainly be the way to do that.

More importantly, what do I do with the copy of LBP I purchased yesterday in China Town? If you want it back, you better send some fucking ninjas because you're going to have a fight on your hands!

Aeris130

So, you can't say the same sentances that can be found in the Qur'an? Is it a copyright issue? I don't see how those two sentances goes against the Qur'an, or anything else for that matter...

They're just stating the obvious.

Top Bottom