• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2017 (Apr 10 - Apr 16)

Zedark

That's right. But what I mean to say is that in a normal situation, sales would now be lower and then rise again with the release of MK8 Deluxe in two weeks. The spike would be way bigger than now is possible due to production/stock constraints, so instead of a big spike, we'll see a more flat line but at a higher base level. (Although I think there will be a spike at MK8D launch, it won't reach anywhere near 100k)

You are assuming here that Nintendo won't ship many more units during MK8D's release week. I think they will. And besides, staying at a much higher level is a great thing as well, spiked are overrated.

That would be a bummer if next week it's still the case.

Well, given the slight lag with Japanese sales numbers (they're for last week and all), Nintendo technically have two weeks to try and pump out more units for Mario Kart 8D.

Should be interesting though if that potentially caps the sales boost.

L~A

Yo Capcom, put RE4 on the Switch, I'd play it again in handheld (would only be my 6th time buying it!)

Don't worry, you can be sure they have all the remasters lined-up for the Switch (RE0, 1, 4). Capcom just looooooove re-re-re-re-re-releasing their Resident Evil games to every platform that can run them and isn't called the Wii U.

Don't worry, you can be sure they have all the remasters lined-up for the Switch (RE0, 1, 4). Capcom just looooooove re-re-re-re-re-releasing their Resident Evil games to every platform that can run them and isn't called the Wii U.

I wonder if they're regretting not bringing Revelations HD to the Switch along side PS4 and Xbox. Maybe they'll scramble and try to shit out a port for Switch.

RE5 please. I don't rebuy games for new platforms often but yeah prob will rebuy RE5 a 4th time.

RE 0, 1, 4, 5, 6 are all available for PS4 and Revelations will get remastered this Fall. Capcom's remastering machine still got a lot of work to do on Switch. They could even add Revelations 2 to it if they want.

Edit: btw where's RE2 Remake?

jonno394

How many Switches are we expecting to be out in the wild for MK8 launch? Nintendo surely(hopefully) will have prepped extra for this week (so 60k+ in next weeks thread instead of 40K+), and then at least 100K for Mk8 launch?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
That's right. But what I mean to say is that in a normal situation, sales would now be lower and then rise again with the release of MK8 Deluxe in two weeks. The spike would be way bigger than now is possible due to production/stock constraints, so instead of a big spike, we'll see a more flat line but at a higher base level. (Although I think there will be a spike at MK8D launch, it won't reach anywhere near 100k)
There's no way Nintendo doesn't go for a 100k+ Switch shipment at Mario Kart 8 Deluxe launch.

random25

Well, given the slight lag with Japanese sales numbers (they're for last week and all), Nintendo technically have two weeks to try and pump out more units for Mario Kart 8D.

Should be interesting though if that potentially caps the sales boost.

Next week technically is MK8D launch so if it's still supply constrained this week still, there's only 1 week to boost the stocks.

Yeah, that week's numbers is the next interesting Switch week after Switch launch.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
How many Switches are we expecting to be out in the wild for MK8 launch? Nintendo surely(hopefully) will have prepped extra for this week (so 60k+ in next weeks thread instead of 40K+), and then at least 100K for Mk8 launch?

Something like that they seemed to have coincided larger shipments for major software launch so either this or next week there should be a large spike and I expect it to be larger than the 70k we had before so 100k sounds about right.

Alrus

Switch sold close to 80k units during the Splatoon 2 testfire week. There's no way it doesn't get very close or over 100K for MK8D.

Oersted

To be fair, there's only so many Switches (Switch's?) available. They would have been limited to the maximum amount, especially if they were doing it for the investor meeting.

But on the other hand, their only direct competition on Switch would be Zelda and Switch has the most momentum out of all consoles.

Its understandable why they missjudged the situation, but they probably did.

L~A

I wonder if they're regretting not bringing Revelations HD to the Switch along side PS4 and Xbox. Maybe they'll scramble and try to shit out a port for Switch.

Oh yeah, there's that one too.

After all, Capcom did port MT Framework for something
(not just MH5)
;)

04./04. [NSW] 1-2-Switch <ETC> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥4.980) - 10.048 / 176.368 (-19%)

So 200k during MK8D launch week?

Zedark

Switch sold close to 80k units during the Splatoon 2 testfire week. There's no way it doesn't get very close or over 100K for MK8D.

Yeah, that's how I feel as well. 100k is a no-brainer imo, and I think it'll be quite a bit higher, so I'm guessing 170k for the corresponding week.

Yeah I think 1-2 Switch's sales have been the most surprising. I'm more interestedi n seeing if the legs continue for that after there are more games on the market, or if people are just hungry for something other than Zelda to buy.

Edit: I don't think there will be more than 150k Switch on the market for MK8.

Mory Dunz

I'm still waiting until the Switch has sold the same amount of consoles as the Wii U did. Seeing whether this is just the hardcore who bought the Wii W in the first few weeks buying their Switch in the first few weeks, but the stock supply issues has dragged the numbers out giving the Switch impressive looking legs when compared to Wii U.
Are you waiting to call the election too?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Can Zelda leg it to a million? That would make me so happy.
Beyond being one of all time best, it has following things going for it:

- it's so long most people are still playing it
- it's "relaunched" twice this year with DLCs
- consequence of these two points is it must be hard to buy in second hand

I do believe it could reach one million when all said and done.

Deku89

But on the other hand, their only direct competition on Switch would be Zelda and Switch has the most momentum out of all consoles.

Its understandable why they missjudged the situation, but they probably did.
I agree they misread it and they should have had a Switch version ready. My guess they will announce one soon or wanted to wait for MH5 for the new system.

Mory Dunz

Yeah I think 1-2 Switch's sales have been the most surprising. I'm more interestedi n seeing if the legs continue for that after there are more games on the market, or if people are just hungry for something other than Zelda to buy.
Hm really? I knew that'd sell well enough. Bomberman surprised me the most.

jonno394

Are you waiting to call the election too?

Haha........no. All I was getting at was Wii U sold close to 500k in 2 weeks. Then started to slowly tail off. Switch is now looking like having better legs, but in reality hasn't sold as much as the Wii U. What I was getting at was that the Switch could start declining anytime now like every other console has, that's all.

I don't think it will, but it's not outside the realms of possibility, hence why I'm not getting to excited by the prospect of Nintendo being "back" just yet.

In all probability, what will happen is MK8 will drive sales for several weeks, Arms will do the same and Splatoon 2 will be stupid successful, and Switch will sell at least 3m by end of the year.

Toni

Yeah, Nier was a pleasant surprise. Well deserved too

And so was Horizon. Its most important title of the 3 that needed to do well.

Its a phenomenal new ip with risks involved. Its an exemplary title that should invoke developers to get out of the conform zone and give their creative visions a go.

Furthermore its purely exclusive and not out on PC or Wii, like Nier and Zelda was.

Guerilla Games schooled many seasoned developers that have been in the game for years with their first attempt at open world.

maxcriden

Well said. This is my expectation as well.

I'm still waiting until the Switch has sold the same amount of consoles as the Wii U did. Seeing whether this is just the hardcore who bought the Wii W in the first few weeks buying their Switch in the first few weeks, but the stock supply issues has dragged the numbers out giving the Switch impressive looking legs when compared to Wii U.

I see what you mean, but I think the sales of Wii U Zelda connote that many Switch buyers are not Wii U owners. Especially since there is no reason to buy it for both consoles.

Alrus

Well OoT 3D did 630k+, I think that's the floor for BoTW LTD. It'll be interesting to see how it holds after MK8D releases and that will give us a better outlook on its possible legs.

Yeah, that's how I feel as well. 100k is a no-brainer imo, and I think it'll be quite a bit higher, so I'm guessing 170k for the corresponding week.

I don't think Nintendo will be able to ship that many consoles in a week in Japan if there's still supply issues in the US too. Around 100k feels more reasonable.

A factor in that regard will be whether or not BOTW is seen as so iconic to the system that it can be an evergreen title - ie, if you pick up a Switch at any point, you have to pick up BOTW. If so, then even if it took three years, it might reach a million.

Or, it may get supplanted by the likes of Splatoon, and who knows what may come next year.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Edit: I don't think there will be more than 150k Switch on the market for MK8.

Yeah more than 150k is probably too much but there's no way Nintendo should be caught unawares for this. Mario Kart anyway is a top tier system seller, Preorder charts world wide imply a large boost in interest in the system for it's launch. I imagine they've been holding back ships for these few weeks in preparation for it and they should be shipping as much as they logistically can in this period.

13ruce

Banned

If Nintendo releases a all content/goty version after all dlc is out i can totally see it happen but it will take a few years atleast.

BotW will have legs till the Switch dies and even after it's a OoT tier game. So 1m should be possible in theory time will tell tho.

Zedark

I don't think Nintendo will be able to ship that many consoles in a week in Japan if there's still supply issues in the US too. Around 100k feels more reasonable.

That's assuming they hadn't planned to ship that many before the Switch' launch anyway. It was just a guess, I don't know of course. We'll see.

Haha........no. All I was getting at was Wii U sold close to 500k in 2 weeks. Then started to slowly tail off. Switch is now looking like having better legs, but in reality hasn't sold as much as the Wii U. What I was getting at was that the Switch could start declining anytime now like every other console has, that's all.

I don't think it will, but it's not outside the realms of possibility, hence why I'm not getting to excited by the prospect of Nintendo being "back" just yet.

In all probability, what will happen is MK8 will drive sales for several weeks, Arms will do the same and Splatoon 2 will be stupid successful, and Switch will sell at least 3m by end of the year.

Isn't that mainly (or totally) due to the Wii U launching in the holiday season?

But yeah healthy caution and skepticism is good before we proclaim Nintendo/Switch undoomed.

jonno394

With less snark I mean waiting for it to pass wii u to make a determination seems unnecessary.

You're not still waiting until the ps4 passes the 3DS WW to say it'll do better right? That was clear fairly early.

I added an explanation to my initial reply.

It seems PS4 is not holding so well lately... what's the next big game releasing for the platform?

And how's the hold for MHXX? I'd say not so bad but now 2 million LTD (without a Best Price release) seems impossible to achieve.

I guess Tekken 7 in early June (and well even Tekken isn't that big release nowadays). Gundam Versus and FF XII Zodiac Age are in early July. Gonna be barren for a while.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

The most impressive of region of the switch so far is America which has already sold 4-5 months of the wii u/3DS sales (including the entirety of Christmas in the case of the wii u) in it's first month. It's why I have no fears of the switch suddenly falling off regardless. US's less than thrilling embrace is a large reason why the 3DS ended up at the LTD it's currently at with Japan making up roughly a third of it's total sales. If the US is eating it up the chances of Japan suddenly dying off is extremely slim since the US is the far harder market for Nintendo.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
1,2 Switch is quite successful, but its primary goal I think is to be an ad for Switch hardware. In all regions, people see 1, 2 Switch and it drives awareness for the console. From a communication stand point, it's brilliant.

maxcriden

A factor in that regard will be whether or not BOTW is seen as so iconic to the system that it can be an evergreen title - ie, if you pick up a Switch at any point, you have to pick up BOTW. If so, then even if it took three years, it might reach a million.

Or, it may get supplanted by the likes of Splatoon, and who knows what may come next year.

Agreed. As Splatoon and BOTW offer markedly different experiences, though, I think both will be evergreen titles for the system, rather than one supplanting the other. I expect XC2 to be the most similar game to Zelda on the system for the next year at the least, and even then I wouldn't expect it to be as successful as Zelda though I think it will do plenty well.

The most impressive of region of the switch so far is America which has already sold 4-5 months of the wii u/3DS sales (including the entirety of Christmas in the case of the wii u) in it's first month. It's why I have no fears of the switch suddenly falling off regardless. US's less than thrilling embrace is a large reason why the 3DS ended up at the LTD it's currently at with Japan making up roughly a third of it's total sales. If the US is eating it up the chances of Japan suddenly dying off is extremely slim since the US is the far harder market for Nintendo.

Not sure I sign this. 3DS is pretty much exception and even it will have decent final LTD in US. WiiU did kinda even between Japan and US considering the differences in market size (sold few extra millions in US) and Gamecube and N64 that bombed in Japan sold way better in US. Europe is by far the hardest market for Nintendo.

Top Bottom