• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CALENDAR BUG FIXED. READ OP - now I can play Bakugan Battle Brawlers, thank God

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I was amused to read earlier today that PS3 dev kits are seem to be affected as well, with some (all?) of them getting stuck in endless reboot loops.

That said, I'm somewhat encouraged that things should be fixed by the time I finish up with Muramasa. It was almost fate that Muramasa caused me to temporarily set aside God of War II. I'd probably be pissed, otherwise.

That said, I'm already half done with Muramasa's post endgame content, so I probably don't have more than 1 or 2 nights' worth to go. I really hope a permanent fix is available by then.

FabCam

I kind of feel that Sony would know if it's going to correct itself or not. They make the damn consoles so I'm sure they can fiddle the settings to see if everything will be fine come midnight. So the "We hope to resolve this problem within the next 24 hours." suggests that everything will be fixed by midnight. Companies never put a time on fixes (from Theme Parks to Software companies) so setting a time for a fix also suggests midnight will solve all.

/fingerscrossed :D

Vanille

Phatcorns said:
I promote this comment. And I just got the ff13 import and I can't play it. Well I had already logged 5 hours in it, but dammit I don't have work today.

We've had confirmation that FFXIII works. :eek:

FabCam said:
I kind of feel that Sony would know if it's going to correct itself or not. They make the damn consoles so I'm sure they can fiddle the settings to see if everything will be fine come midnight. So the "We hope to resolve this problem within the next 24 hours." suggests that everything will be fixed by midnight. Companies never put a time on fixes (from Theme Parks to Software companies) so setting a time for a fix also suggests midnight will solve all.

/fingerscrossed :D

Good luck dude! :lol :lol :lol

gofreak said:
I like how jokes are getting recycled now every dozen pages or so. I hope this never gets old!

Yeah, and I like how jokes are getting recycled now every dozen pages or so. I hope this never gets old!

Jme

Scythian Empire said:
Just picked up Heavy Rain and was going to bosh through it tonight since I don't have college tomorrow. What a fucking piss take. Ruined my whole evening.
You can still play it just wont get any trophies. I think "ruined" is kind of hyperbolic for a single player game.

Bizzyb

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
Can you imagine being a customer service rep for Sony right now? Can you imagine the tons of people that don't check online sites taking their "broken" PS3's to Best Buys/Wal-Marts/Gamestops all over the country right now?

Yikes.

It must be a nightmare. This is terrible for Sony and Hopefully they fix this WITH everyone's save files intact.

Vgamer

handofg0d said:
You can still play it just wont get any trophies. I think "ruined" is kind of hyperbolic for a single player game.

No it wont even load up. That is why everyone is so mad about this.

Bert said:
Missus is out for the night, was planning to get some serious Heavy Rain in tonight.

What's the worst that can happen is I turn on my launch 60GB? 'cos there's a chance it'll work right? right?

Don't try to play games or sync trophies - we don't know if data get's corrupted.

Morac

Neo Member
If the PS3 recovers (which I expect it will), what happens to all the systems with trophy data that's timestamped with an invalid 2/29/2010 date?

My guess is that that will not only prevent trophy syncing even after everything is "fixed", but also prevent anyone from getting any addition trophies or re-getting the "bad" ones. This would explain why trophies disappeared for anyone who played games after the glitch hit. The only way to fix this would be if Sony puts out an update to go through and clean up the corrupted trophy data (that or users would have to delete their user account on the PS3 and create a new one).

That will be really annoying since I playing yesterday when the problem hit and noticed that at some point I stopped getting trophy pop-ups so it's likely I have corrupted trophy data on my PS3 (despite everything else working fine) at the time.

BREAKING NEWS: SonyDefenseForce.com has confirmed that Xbox fans have hacked PSN.

the terrorist may have been working alone, but it is suspected he was with a sleeper cell that was called to action due to the near release of God of War 3.

:lol

ambalek

Mejilan said:
That said, I'm already half done with Muramasa's post endgame content, so I probably don't have more than 1 or 2 nights' worth to go. I really hope a permanent fix is available by then.

If there's a "My PS3's in 1999: What do I do now?" thread, Muramasa would be one of my top recommendations.

TheFreshPrince

handofg0d said:

Wait....so I can still play Heavy Rain without any issues? I just can't get trophies?

I thought it was a bit more serious than that....

savor100

Dreams-Visions said:
73ad4423.jpg

who's gonna do the eulogy?

:lol :lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
OutlawSamurai said:
I hope we get a free game via PSN:D

Please be Super Stardust HD or Wipeout HD

Dreams-Visions said:
BREAKING NEWS: SonyDefenseForce.com has confirmed that Xbox fans have hacked PSN.

the terrorist may have been working alone, but it is suspected he was with a sleeper cell that was called to action due to the near release of God of War 3.

23jlt7p.jpg

Gomu Gomu

Cornbread78 said:
I guess it's time for everyone to go out and buy a slim.... Good luck finding one right now... the shelves are empty everywhere. It never hurts to have an extra lying around

You're getting into Sony's trap :eek:

Holy Shit! IT worked

wow, I wasn't expecting it work honestly but I'm back one the PSN. Of course I still have 2 screw sitting here. I swear that always happens. Dust free and running smooth

So if you are bored and impatient then go for it.
BTW I found my CMOS battery at the right front of the console not the right back like the pictures. It was on the under side on the console, I had to take more screw out of the main plate and lift the whole insides up and there it was under the power switches
Thanks for the help everyone, time for WKC

offshore

It's hit BBC News, and is the most read story....but man, the journalism is so poor. At the start they say,

Sony has told owners of older models of its PlayStation 3 console to stop using the machine because of a problem with the PlayStation Network.

and then they go and completely contradict themselves by reprinting the problem is being caused by a bug in the clock functionality incorporated in the system statement, but then continue to say that PSN is to blame.

Unbelievable.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/technology/newsid_10050000/newsid_10058900/10058914.stm

darkwing

guys, the CMOS battery fix worked 100%, this GMT fix will work as well, meaning your system will be back as it was once before this lulz

bluehat9

Despite me having class until 6 today, my friends keep texting me about how I'm getting owned for not upgrading to a slim, how cool HR is, and telling me that the sony confirmed that the cell in old ps3s has melted down.

Raist

Banned
TTP said:
Have you ever noticed when you first turn on a brand new system that it asks you to insert the current date while displaying an old one (like 1/1/2000)? That old date is technically the one the system keeps tracking despite the actual date you typed in.

If you keep it as it is (1/1/2000) and try to connect, you log in just fine.

Hence, it doesn't matter what date the clock chip believe it is. As long as that date does exist, you are fine.

I believe that's a default date just displayed on screen, and not the actual time and day for the system clock, is it?

Edit: in case I wasn't clear, what I mean is that the OS clock won't be confused anymore by 12 GMT, however the internal clock will think that it's March 1st. This is not a problem for the OS clock as you can force it to display the correct date. However, the system clock and the server clock still won't match.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
gofreak said:
I like how jokes are getting recycled now every dozen pages or so. I hope this never gets old!
Well, to be honest with so many people posting so fast, it's easy to lose track.

Anyway, should I tempt fate and play Motorstorm (The original) for a while? Surely that wont cause any long term issues, I hope.
Speevy said:
Or a game of my choice. I have those two.

Well I HAD those two.
Note to self: DO NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR WIPEOUT HD.

darkwing

BobTheFork said:
Holy Shit! IT worked

wow, I wasn't expecting it work honestly but I'm back one the PSN. Of course I still have 2 screw sitting here. I sear that always happens. Dust free and running smooth

So if you are bored and impatient then go for it.
BTW I found my CMOS battery at the right front of the console not the right back like the pictures. It was on the under side on the console, I had to take more screw out of the main plate and lift the whole insides up and there it was under the power switches
Thanks for the help everyone, time for WKC

hurray!!! yours is the 3rd confirmed PS3 fixed :D

NomarTyme

darkwing said:
guys, the CMOS battery fix worked 100%, this GMT fix will work as well, meaning your system will be back as it was once before this lulz
Awesome. Now I am at peace with myself! tell Little Johnny to swing for the fences!

offshore said:
It's hit BBC News, and is the most read story....but man, the journalism is so poor. At the start they say, ... and then they go and completely contradict themselves by reprinting the problem is being caused by a bug in the clock functionality incorporated in the system statement, but then continue to say that PSN is to blame.

Unbelievable.
Oh mainstream media

Also
BBC said:
It allows users to play their friends at games like Fifa over the internet and also do things like download software or visit online stores.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
handofg0d said:

Um, Heavy Rain won't run if your console is bugged.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Has this speculated info been posted yet? Aside from confirming the system clock issue and the battery solution.

"Well the gist is that the ARM SYSCON CPU that is used to power up the front panel of the ps3, that is responsible for doing things like sleep mode, eject, RTC etc. is an old batch that sony picked up from the shelf like other manufacturers that has that calendar year bug regarding feburary 29th on certain periods. Causing the ps3 and the real time system clock to desync, messing up timing like Digital Rights Management software and sometimes games that relies on clocks for whatever reason.

This is the same CPU that is powering up mobile devices like zune and blackberries, they have been affected with this bug, so they done some software patches. A syscon update can also fix this problem The Slims ps3s aren't affected with this problem because they use a newer up to date revision on the syscon cpu that fixes this bug, this cpu is always on even when your ps3 is powered off.

A quick way to fix this is to remove the RTC battery for at least 5-10 min and plug it back in, you will see the date and time reset, and voila...

BTW all this was quoted from some ps3 hardware gurus and tested by various of peeps on efnet, all thanks to them for the information"

Garret

According to my PS3 it's 12/31/1999, 8:43 PM. Yay, New Year's Eve! It's time for my resolutions and for my being young again!

Vgamer

Garret said:
According to my PS3 it's 12/31/1999, 8:43 PM. Yay, New Year's Eve! It's time for my resolutions and for my being young again!

Dang I cant believe I did not get invited to any y2k new years eve parties :( !! :lol

Top Bottom